This is by FAR my favorite tablet!!

Search This thread

showson1

Dec 10, 2009
I've loved the concept of tablets for a long time, but two things that were always keeping me from replacing my laptop with a tablet - full sized ports and a video editor.

I've tried iPad and iPad2 - too limited
Galaxy tab (7 inch) - LOVED it, but couldn't justify keeping it anymore
Xoom - It was great, but didn't really have a use for it.
Acer Iconia - Really liked it, but again didn't do everything I wanted.

Toshiba Thrive - So far, I'm thinking I'll be able to replace my laptop. I can even hook this thing to a TV or monitor (with adapter) and use a full sized keyboard and mouse, external hard drive, game controller, whatever.

For what I do on my laptop, since I don't really develop anymore, I can do just about everything on the Thrive.

Even the movie editor, although basic, is working out for me so far..

Granted I've only had it a day and a half, but so far so good. :)

Lexus One

Jul 6, 2010
OHIO
I played with all of the top rated tablets before I purchased my Thrive. And as far as I'm concerned, the quality and features of this tablet are among the best of all the currently available choices. But what blows me away is the total lack of interest from the xda development community. That and Thrive owners, including myself, had to literally beg for an xda forum. This is a total mystery. And they've left us no clues. Because I never have seen any negatives on this tablet, period. But what has scared away all the developers is aparently a well kept secret. I had high hopes when I first purchased my Thrive. But up until now only 1 and maybe 2 persons are qualified(?) developers, and have taken interest in the Thrive. And things are just plain dead right now, even at thriveforums.org. What a bummer! So I will probably end up selling it, even though it is a great tablet, and getting something that has more developer interest, such as the Asus Transformer. Because I like to play. :)

9-29 UPDATE: Rumor has it that the next Thrive update is going to make things more difficult for everyone, as Fastboot has been removed. If Toshiba does this, it will make it a lot harder for us to "play."

Last edited:
I played with all of the top rated tablets before I purchased my Thrive. And as far as I'm concerned, the quality and features of this tablet are among the best of all the currently available choices. But what blows me away is the total lack of interest from the xda development community. That and Thrive owners, including myself, had to literally beg for an xda forum. This is a total mystery. And they've left us no clues. Because I never have seen any negatives on this tablet, period. But what has scared away all the developers is aparently a well kept secret. I had high hopes when I first purchased my Thrive. But up until now only 1 and maybe 2 persons are qualified(?) developers, and have taken interest in the Thrive. And things are just plain dead right now, even at thriveforums.org. What a bummer! So I will probably end up selling it, even though it is a great tablet, and getting something that has more developer interest, such as the Asus Transformer. Because I like to play. :)

Man Lexus One. You should hang in there. We may not have any love from the XDA crowd, but those of us working on the Thrive are doing great things. I think you will see a lot more come along when ICS is released. This device by far is running smoother than any of the others. Tweaks I have made to the boot image for memory management has really stepped it up. Guys like to overclock to make the device run smoother, but right now, I do not think we need it. dj_steve is porting ROMs and giving you guys that like custom ROMs the ROms to play with. I am keeping those of us that like the stock feel what we need. I do not think going to the Asus will make you any happier. Development has slowed down for all the tablets. I think all are looking for ICS release and the source to go with it.

Reactions: rmancl

Lekz

Dec 23, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I am getting one of these soon (from the AndroidAndMe contest) and was excited about the ports and goodies and all despite the thickness. It also made me sad there is barely any development tho. :(

Lexus One

Jul 6, 2010
OHIO
Man Lexus One. You should hang in there. We may not have any love from the XDA crowd, but those of us working on the Thrive are doing great things. I think you will see a lot more come along when ICS is released. This device by far is running smoother than any of the others. Tweaks I have made to the boot image for memory management has really stepped it up. Guys like to overclock to make the device run smoother, but right now, I do not think we need it. dj_steve is porting ROMs and giving you guys that like custom ROMs the ROms to play with. I am keeping those of us that like the stock feel what we need. I do not think going to the Asus will make you any happier. Development has slowed down for all the tablets. I think all are looking for ICS release and the source to go with it.
You could be right about things improving for the Thrive. However I think you are operating more on faith than on the facts. Because if things don't start picking up soon, the new quad core tablets will be popping up, and interest in Thrive development will probably diminish even more. Sorry to be so negative, but it's hard for me to have your faith right now. But I am thankful that the Thrive has got people like you and dj_steve to keep things interesting and fun. And everyone else who has helped in the area of development.

ayster

Dec 3, 2007
I just bought one last week when Was visiting the US (in fact am typing this on it!!) And have to say I love it. My wife bought an I pad, and I think she secretly wishes she got the thrive instead!! Love the connectivity and Android is far superior to iOS. As for the thickness, I don't even notice it now. The latest rom seems to have fixed the sleep of death issue.
And the price was great, worked out about £260, which is pretty cheap for honeycomb tablet.

All in all highly recommended!

Cheers

I just bought one last week when Was visiting the US (in fact am typing this on it!!) And have to say I love it. My wife bought an I pad, and I think she secretly wishes she got the thrive instead!! Love the connectivity and Android is far superior to iOS. As for the thickness, I don't even notice it now. The latest rom seems to have fixed the sleep of death issue.
And the price was great, worked out about £260, which is pretty cheap for honeycomb tablet.

All in all highly recommended!

Cheers

Glad to here you like it. I enjoy mine also. At least when I can get it away from the wife. She's hooked on Angry Birds.:D

showson1

Dec 10, 2009
Every day there's something I like more about it.

Just last night I was messing with ES File Manager, mapped a drive to my windows share that has all my media and tried to launch a video (something I haven't been able to do over the network on other devices).

Boom, WMV, AVI, MP4.. all played flawlessly.

I didn't have to do anything special but download the file manager.

I'm putting my laptop on Craigslist.. this thing is officially a replacement for me.

.. let me rephrase that, for me, it is a laptop replacement.. not that it's a replacement for me. :)

..although if I was a tablet, my wife could push my buttons all she wanted.. haha

blorenzo

May 29, 2009
Glad you are liking it. You might want to check out ThriveForums.org.

I've been following XDA for years, since I first bought my Samsung i760 and fell I love with it. Its a great phone that I always consider bringing back into service! Then when I jumped to HTC I found this the place to be, now I'm like wtf... how is the thrive so neglected? The potential this device has with full sized USB is insane! Why wouldn't devs take advantage of it? I feel like no one cares about the thrive, Toshiba turned around and made a tablet that all the fanboys on here ***** that the ipad doesn't have... the ipad doesn't have expandable memory, it doesn't have full sized USB or HDMI out, the web can could be better.... ppl flamed the ipad so much and Toshiba turned around and took all these ideas and put them into a tablet and granted its bigger than normal but its not overly so.

Toshiba went above and beyond making this tablet and so many people turned around and **** on it and ignored it... so now we may never get another tablet like this again. Soon we will all be told how much storage we need and be forced to upgrade when we either don't have enough or our batteries can't hold longer than a 5 minute charge...

Sigh, I'm ranting but I'm gonna start moving away from xda now I love their dev's and the projects they embark on but I can't take the forum as much anymore. Even the mods are getting on my nerves, like the post that's in the Toshiba dev thread in here... the mod says its not his job to keep a thread cleaned and organized... what crack are you ****ing smoking? If your not a dev or project manager it is your ****igng job you retard, why else are you a ****ing mod? Ive been a forum mod, IRCop, NetAdmin and if that's your attitude your just being unreasonable and I see that more and more here at xda. Kids these days are so backwards, I fear for future generations. I think I'll be spending more time over at thriveforums.org.

Anyway sorry for ranting...

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using Tapatalk

pcdebb

Oct 16, 2010
Temple Terrace, FL
I wonder if people fear the Toshiba name? When I got my galaxy tab the Thrive had just come out. I had minor interest only because it was a 10" tablet. When I ditched the tab and went shopping I was struggling between the Xoom and the 10" tab. The guy showed me the Thrive. I played with it for almost half an hour. The price was right...and having reward point certificates didn't hurt either :) I transferred files over using my USB thumb drive which was cool. Haven't tried the HDMI yet. I've been thru a few devices and this is by far the best one.

I'm very satisfied with my Thrive.

**sent from my Thrive using Tapatalk**

Reactions: rosystreasures

aabritt

Oct 9, 2010
Johnson City, TN
I wonder if people fear the Toshiba name? When I got my galaxy tab the Thrive had just come out. I had minor interest only because it was a 10" tablet. When I ditched the tab and went shopping I was struggling between the Xoom and the 10" tab. The guy showed me the Thrive. I played with it for almost half an hour. The price was right...and having reward point certificates didn't hurt either :) I transferred files over using my USB thumb drive which was cool. Haven't tried the HDMI yet. I've been thru a few devices and this is by far the best one.

I love my Thrive too. Just purchased it last nite. Enjoying every minute of it. Still learning all the ins and outs of it.

Sent from my AT100 using xda premium

chubb16

Nov 25, 2010
Just got mine yesterday coming from the viewsonic g tablet. WOW what a difference.

Sent from my AT100 using xda premium

havensed

Jan 12, 2011
I love mine you should look into, Toshiba Thrive forum, lots of good information.

Sent from my Thrive, rooted and looking for more.

wpnyc2009

Sep 24, 2009
Manhattan
Love Thrive!!

I gave the NookColor to the kids for games, videos and Netflix after I purchased the Thrive AT100 on Saturday. Love it!!!!!!!!!!

I looked at a ton of different comparisons: Transformer, Jetstream, Galaxy Tab 10.1 & iPad2 vs. Thrive. None is a match!

From the standard SD slot, to the Full size USB & HDMI; to the great screen; nice weight and solid performance --- I'm in love!!!!!

I know the AT200 is out 'soon' so I'll upgrade then -- I have a 30 day return policy..... AT200 is a monster! Great job Toshiba! They came to the dance when they had a great product; rather be late to arrive then to be Dead-on-Arrival like so many others who came out fast with gen1 pieces of half-assed junk. :(

Love Thrive! I haven't even rooted; not certain I'll need to.
Cheers m8s.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.