Free WiFi Tether Note 3 TMobile

Search This thread

hypersonicx

Apr 11, 2007
Nashville
Now that we have root and customer recovery, has anyone been able to get free wifi tethering with the TMobile Galaxy Note 3?

I tried different settings with the wifi tether app on the play store but cant get it to start up without errors.

Anyone have any input?

hypersonicx

Apr 11, 2007
Nashville
Free WiFi Tethering

You get 2.5 gigs free from tmo on the native hot spot. Have you tried that?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk 4

Yeah, I burned through that already. I had a iPhone 5S that I had free tethering mod on and currently at 52GB on data on TMobile and my 2.5GB is also already used up lol.

Now on Note 3, currently looking for a way to enable free wifi tethering since my Comcast connection is currently turned off.

I have the Wifi Thering app but dont know which settings work for the Note 3.

I may have to wait until the custom roms are cooked up with unlocked tethering baked in.

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
VPN slows the bandwidth down tremendously. I have LTE pulling in at 30Mbps using VPN will lower the speed down to less then 1Mbps.

There is a guide that worked for the S4 about editing customer.xml under /system/csc prolly same way on the Note 3. I'll be extracting the system partition soon. if i have time i will make the mods for you and post it.

hypersonicx

Apr 11, 2007
Nashville
There is a guide that worked for the S4 about editing customer.xml under /system/csc prolly same way on the Note 3. I'll be extracting the system partition soon. if i have time i will make the mods for you and post it.

Awe man that would be excellent! Looking forward to it. In the mean time im tethering using the user agent chager for my web browser on PC, but looking forward to a full tethering solution for my PS3 ect....

Reactions: mlock420

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Awe man that would be excellent! Looking forward to it. In the mean time im tethering using the user agent chager for my web browser on PC, but looking forward to a full tethering solution for my PS3 ect....

Oh this method still requires the UA switcher. Nothing will bypass that part since its done on T-Mobile's servers. I thought you were automatically getting redirected to T-Mobile upsell page even with the UA switcher.

hypersonicx

Apr 11, 2007
Nashville
Oh this method still requires the UA switcher. Nothing will bypass that part since its done on T-Mobile's servers. I thought you were automatically getting redirected to T-Mobile upsell page even with the UA switcher.

Changing my UA works fine. I was thinking there was a hack or work around so that the HotSpot would work perfect on any device. PS3 and XBox ect...

shaungregg

Jan 6, 2011
I hear you man I use 10 gigs a day, just use UA switcher set to Safari on chrome and you can tether to your heart's desire. All websites look normal with that setting and Netflix won't give you the download app for mobile message lol. There hasn't been a wifi tether fix for quite some time regardless of the phone as far as I know, its a common request in most forums regardless of device or carrier. Anyway like I said I tether 10 gigs a day using T-Mobile hotspot with no throttling either but according to them they do throttle regular data unless your on the highest data/tether plan. So if you keep the lowest tether plan you can get unlimited tethering with UA switcher or hopefully with a workaround eventually but your data will be throttled at some point for all data unless you bump up your plan.

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Please read forum rules before posting
Questions and Help issues go in Q&A and Help section
Thread moved
Thank you for your cooperation
Friendly Neighborhood Moderator

Reactions: elesbb

JT man

Sep 10, 2007

Waiting on this too :)

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk 2

XooLoo

Jun 15, 2012
I'm currently not on any tethering plans. I'm rooted but otherwise stock. When I turn tethering on and using a User Agent Spoofer on my PC try to access the web, I get the upsell page. Am I doing something wrong? Also there are several UA spoofers for Chrome. Can someone tell me which one they're using that actually works please? Perhaps you can reference the developer's name, etc.

shaungregg

Jan 6, 2011
I'm currently not on any tethering plans. I'm rooted but otherwise stock. When I turn tethering on and using a User Agent Spoofer on my PC try to access the web, I get the upsell page. Am I doing something wrong? Also there are several UA spoofers for Chrome. Can someone tell me which one they're using that actually works please? Perhaps you can reference the developer's name, etc.

Sorry I assumed you had tethering since the Simple Choice plan comes with 500mb included in the 50 dollar plan. Then you could simply use UA Spoofer on Chrome, if your on some sort of prepaid thing without any tethering included then I have no clue except use Pda Net for now.

XooLoo

Jun 15, 2012
Sorry I assumed you had tethering since the Simple Choice plan comes with 500mb included in the 50 dollar plan. Then you could simply use UA Spoofer on Chrome, if your on some sort of prepaid thing without any tethering included then I have no clue except use Pda Net for now.

I'm on a business plan with 100% unlimited everything (no data throttling, etc.) Am I supposed to be getting some free tethering with mine?!

shaungregg

Jan 6, 2011
I'm on a business plan with 100% unlimited everything (no data throttling, etc.) Am I supposed to be getting some free tethering with mine?!

Here is the quote from T-Mobile site for business account:

"Besides unlimited talk, text, and web, your Simple Choice for Business plan includes up to 500 MB of high-speed data. But if you need more, you can add extra data to any line. All data plans are unlimited while on T-Mobile’s network." "Add 2 GB to your included 500 MB of high-speed data. Smartphone Mobile HotSpot included. Speeds slowed after 2.5 GB."

Call them up and have them activate it on your phone, I had to call for my kid's iPhone but mine was working out of the box.

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

why not just buy the easytether app?

That way it will use your data rather than hotspot

When you spoof it uses your regular data, personally I have the paid App Klink Red Edition but it stopped working when I switched to T-Mobile. No need to pay a few dollars for an app when you can do it free but Pda-Net works great and it is cheap enough, still it uses spoofing as well just from in the app and not at the browser end, I'm pretty sure all the tethering apps make it look like your using data from your device.

I set up tethering the other day. I dont burn through data like some of you, but im curious about the limit. Is that 2.5gig limit tied to the 2.5gig lte (then hspa drop) data plan limit? Or is it just a 2.5gigs of tethering regardless of your plan and then no more tethering for the month? Furthermore, when you exceed that amount, im taking it from these posts that the tethering app stops accepting connections and you're not just dropped to the hspa network? I dont think ill hit that limit, i only use tethering for remote access when im on call and out and about. But it would be good to know for sure.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WiFi tethering working on my Note 3 on T-Mobile USA

Okay, I finally got free WiFi tethering working on my Note 3 on T-Mobile USA; here is how I did it:

Please note that this is not my own work, I found the solution on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUhlXiAE3q0

okay so this is how to get it working if you do not want to follow the link above:

1) you do NOT have to be rooted, although my device is rooted
    2) download Hotspot Toggle Widget from the play store
    3) place the Hotspot Toggle Widget on any home screen you desire so that you have access to it quickly
    4) you may or may not want to change the Network SSID and or Security password (I did, but all you need to really know is the SSID and if there is a password, what that password is - I just always change it by habit)
    5) then you need to create a new APN. to do this just (from the home screen) tap setting, more networks, mobile networks, access point names. Then tap the + to add a new APN. You can Name it whatever you like, it is not important. For APN use fast.t-mobile.com, then make sure that APN protocol is set to IPv4 (this is important - or it will not work). You can leave everything else as is.
    6) just a side note, it wanted to make this new APN as similar to the T-mobile original APN as possible without causing a upsell page to appear. So, I did add the MMSC to the following: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc. the original APN from T-mobile also has a setting for APN type (default,mms,supl)...but When I used any part of this setting it would not work, so I just left it with "Not set" and everything worked fine. Then you have to save and select this APN instead of the T-mobile APN. You will also have to restart your phone so that the new APN setting will take affect.
    7) once all this is done just start the hotspot with the hotspot toggle widget, do Not use the hotspot toggle from t-mobile. Once the pop up appears stating something like "Please wait while we verify your account" you will need to tap the home button. and that's it, you will have wifi tether working.
    8) if you are using IE you do not need to use any agent switcher, but if you want to use Chrome or Firefox on your laptop, you will need to use an agent switcher (for Chrome I am using Ultimate Agent Switcher and set to Android 2.3, and FireFox I am using User Agent Overrider set to Chrome30/Android). I don't think it matters which Agent switcher you are using, and I would think that other settings within the agent switcher would work also, but these are the setting I tried first and they are working great for me.

That is all you need to do, you do not even need any VPN and you do not even need to have Tethering as part your data plan. I have an unlimited data plan that cost me $5 each month and it is a grandfathered plan that does NOT have any tethering included.

Good luck and enjoy, Merry Christmas!
    VPN slows the bandwidth down tremendously. I have LTE pulling in at 30Mbps using VPN will lower the speed down to less then 1Mbps.

After upgrading to Kit Kat this method no longer works. I had been using it for a few months without issue on 4.3.

Well that is not good news....hmmmm, I wonder if there is a work around. Has anyone else upgraded and lost tethering via this method?

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

okay, after a quick Google search, this is what I found:

http://pocketnow.com/2014/01/20/kitkat-broke-t-mobile-tethering

this is the important part (copy and pasted below) from the link above. Again, this is not my work, just what I found online. Please let us know if this works for you after you have upgraded to Kit Kat.

How to re-enable tethering
    KitKat introduced a new “flag” which the OS sends along to the carrier to indicate whether the data is from a tethered device rather than from the device itself. So far it looks like T-Mobile is the only carrier that is using that flag.

To change things back to the way they were pre-KitKat, all one has to do is change that flag. Doing so isn’t difficult, but it does require that you have a rooted device. If you’re game, here are the steps you’ll need to take:

Back up anything that you don’t want to lose
    OEM Unlock your device (if you have not done so already)
    Root your device (if you have not done so already)
    Using a root file explorer, navigate to /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/ and make a copy of settings.db (this step is optional, but you’ll want a copy, just in case you need to restore it later)
    Install and open a SQL editor and grant it root access when prompted (I purchased SQLite Editor from the Play Store for a few bucks and it’s very easy to use)
    Tap the APPS tab and then “Settings Storage”
    Tap on settings.db then global
    Tap on the + symbol to add a new key/value pair
    In the name field type in tether_dun_required
    In the value field type in 0 (zero)
    Tap Save
    Open the Android system Settings
    Under WIRELESS & NETWORKS tap More…
    Tap Mobile networks then APNs
    Make sure your T-Mobile configuration is selected (mine is T-Mobile GPRS), then tap on it
    Make sure your APN protocol and APN roaming protocol are both set to IPv4 (it doesn’t look like tethering works with IPv6 yet)
    Make sure your APN is set to fast.t-mobile.com
    Reboot
    Enjoy your tethering!
    The steps seem more difficult than they are, and I’m disappointed that Google and T-Mobile are forcing this restriction on people to whom it doesn’t apply. Nonetheless, with a little bit of know-how and rooted device, you can “fix” that oversight. Of course, if it works for you, we want to hear about it! Head down to the comments and let us know!
    I wrote this one my phone so if there any misspelling or things I missed I am sorry. If someone wants to rewrite it so it's easier, or an easier method to achieve the same thing go ahead.

As I mentioned in previous post you will need to turn of T-Mobile Tethering Apn. You will need root to use this app. Download APNS Backup from the playstore.

1.) After installation turn of WiFi before you run the app.
    2.) Now create a backup of your apn.
    3.) Exit the app and goto to settings and edit the apn you had created before to tether with in Android 4.3, under Apn Type add dun. Just save and exit.
    4.) Open the backup apn file you just created with APNS Backup. I used Sqlite Editor. My back up was located in a hidden folder on the sdcard called .APNsBU.
    5.) When the file open choose carrier as the table to open. Now look for T-Mobile Tethering, mine was located all the way at the end. Now select and edit this field. Look for the field carrier enabled and change that value from 1 to 0. Save and exit the db.
    6.) Open up APNS Backup and choose restore. Pick the db file which you just edited. When done let the app reboot your phone.
    7.) Disable WiFi and tether similar to the way you did pre Kitkat upgrade.
    You have "http" twice in your mmsc settings. Is that on purpose or a mistake? (and thanks for the response) I also found out how to check my tethering use. (mytmobileapp). It shows me at 2.6gb since 11:54 this morning. (It's 3:05 EST). We'll see when it updates the time. Thanks for the help so far.

It was by accident thank you.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk