No reactivation lock for T-mobile s5?

Search This thread

seh6183

Mar 23, 2011
I can't find it anywhere in the settings. Is this a T-Mobile only thing? I'm fairly certain the AT&T and Verizon version have this feature.

seh6183

Mar 23, 2011

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
Thank you for this but I went through every file in there and couldn't find anything for reactivation lock. I was however, able to enable the change sim notification. Any idea what file it is in?
Try system/CSC/features.xml EDIT: This might not be what you're looking for, but it's something. Sorry I guess I was wrong in saying that it can be enabled by a csc edit.

Change it to this:
ude3uqa9.jpg

Then reboot and you should get this I security.
aba6u4yd.jpg

Last edited:

seh6183

Mar 23, 2011
I did that and got the menus enabled now. But that still isn't reactivation lock. I can't find the setting for reactivation lock.

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
Well because it's a huge deal in my opinion. If someone steals my phone they can't get back into it even if they wipe it.

If they know how to root it, they can in 2 minutes. Just boot into the bootloader, flash a custom recovery, flash a custom rom, and presto, you're in. If you're already rooted, well, that just makes it laughably easy. Apple's approach is the only really secure one.

Last edited:

seh6183

Mar 23, 2011
I think assuming that a thief would have any understanding of rooting or flashing custom bootloaders would be a little over the top. Out of every single human being that I know only 2 know how to root a phone.

fffft

Jul 16, 2013

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-01-11-37-48.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-01-11-37-48.png
    187.3 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

seh6183

Mar 23, 2011
I'm thinking that the part in bold could be your snag.

Seriously though, some carriers are enabling this and some are not. A serious flaw as universal availability of the feature would make it infinitely more effective.

You can enable it yourself by availing yourself to a custom ROM or by editing the properties XML. Once enabled, the menu shows up under Settings > General > Security

Damn what setting in the XML did you adjust? I was able to enable find my mobile and sim change notify but not the reactivation.

And lol yea maybe I should try this on an actual s5 and not my iPhone ;)

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
I think assuming that a thief would have any understanding of rooting or flashing custom bootloaders would be a little over the top. Out of every single human being that I know only 2 know how to root a phone.

This misses an important point. It doesn't matter a lot how many people in the general populace know how to root a phone in front of them. If a security feature like reactivation lock is to be a strong deterrent to theft, it needs to be highly secure where no one or damn near no one is able to defeat it. It's not sufficient that it's hard to do. It only takes one electronic wiz in a city who is willing to unlock phones of shady origin to establish a strong local demand for stolen phones.

A thief doesn't need to have any technical skills. Word will quickly get around about the shady repair shop or fence that can fix them or is willing to buy stolen phones because he knows where they can be unlocked. For this to work as an effective deterrent, stolen phones need to be rendered paperweights that cannot be unlocked without heroic measures.

Reactions: aooga

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
This misses an important point. It doesn't matter a lot how many people in the general populace know how to root a phone in front of them. If a security feature like reactivation lock is to be a strong deterrent to theft, it needs to be highly secure where no one or damn near no one is able to defeat it. It's not sufficient that it's hard to do. It only takes one electronic wiz in a city who is willing to unlock phones of shady origin to establish a strong local demand for stolen phones.

A thief doesn't need to have any technical skills. Word will quickly get around about the shady repair shop or fence that can fix them or is willing to buy stolen phones because he knows where they can be unlocked. For this to work as an effective deterrent, stolen phones need to be rendered paperweights that cannot be unlocked without heroic measures.

:good:

All it takes is them googling "how to bypass samsung activation lock" and they're in. Probably shouldn't have put this up ;)

seh6183

Mar 23, 2011

Okay and for the dozens of other samsung phones that have locked bootloaders it works perfectly fine for. So the only exploitable phones are ones with unlockable bootloaders. The rest are safe,

seh6183

Mar 23, 2011
Sigh. One, you seem a bit off topic. And two, I am not going to post an explanation of how to defeat a core security feature. If you have a lot of curiosity you will have to do your own search. And I'd hope that you'd refrain from reposting that kind of information too.

You know what I don't care, I can't even believe I was baited into this useless argument. The fact remains is that the feature is at least semi functional and a DETERRENT to criminals. Nothing is fool proof. You can have the best car alarm in the world and someone can roll up with a tow truck and take off with it. The point is to make it harder for thieves to get away with it and thats all Im looking for. .

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.