Data issue...

Search This thread

Synaaron

Aug 15, 2011
Hamburg
Ok SO I could not find a proper thread for this since there are SO many threads. The issue I'm having is I got a Samsung galaxy S III that was unlocked, and after I put my ATT sim into it I could recieve texts and calls but I could not recieve data. So I rooted it and applied clockwork with all my mods and figured I could find some setting that would fix it... well I was wrong. I tried global, GSM and LTE settings none of which would give me data. If there is anything anyone can do to help I would be more than appreciative.

KorGuy123

Sep 18, 2012
Barrie
Ok SO I could not find a proper thread for this since there are SO many threads. The issue I'm having is I got a Samsung galaxy S III that was unlocked, and after I put my ATT sim into it I could recieve texts and calls but I could not recieve data. So I rooted it and applied clockwork with all my mods and figured I could find some setting that would fix it... well I was wrong. I tried global, GSM and LTE settings none of which would give me data. If there is anything anyone can do to help I would be more than appreciative.

Check ton make sure your proper APN setting is selected and filled in correct.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Pbwizkid

Feb 27, 2012
Weatherford
Also if this a new phone that u have not used before and just go call att so they can regester the devoce

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

xBeerdroiDx

Nov 10, 2012
Fort Worth
Also if this a new phone that u have not used before and just go call att so they can regester the devoce

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

While I agree that you should always call at&t so they can register a device to your account, this will not help his current data issue

OP, is this an international s3, T-Mobile or at&t? What firmware/rom is installed? Again, verify your imei is intact

Synaaron

Aug 15, 2011
Hamburg
Ok so this is a verizon Galaxy S3. It is rooted running 4.1.2 JB, Kernal 3.0.31. After I got the phone I did go to an ATT store to register a micro sim because i didn't have one at the time. So the imei is registered to my sim card perfectly. I can get calls and texts without any issue but no data. How do I figure out what the apn settings are and if I have the right configuration?

Sent from my SCH-I535

KorGuy123

Sep 18, 2012
Barrie
Ok so this is a verizon Galaxy S3. It is rooted running 4.1.2 JB, Kernal 3.0.31. After I got the phone I did go to an ATT store to register a micro sim because i didn't have one at the time. So the imei is registered to my sim card perfectly. I can get calls and texts without any issue but no data. How do I figure out what the apn settings are and if I have the right configuration?

Sent from my SCH-I535

Stock APN settings can be found here based on your carrier.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=33060276

Settings > more > mobile networks > access point names

xBeerdroiDx

Nov 10, 2012
Fort Worth

Sent from my SCH-I535

You do realize you're trying to use a cdma phone (verizon) on a gsm network (at&t), right? Different radios. Different technology. Won't work

Last edited:

Synaaron

Aug 15, 2011
Hamburg
Well it was unlocked at the phone has a gsm option so if it wasn't compatable I don't see why they would have the option there to actually use a gsm network.

Sent from my SCH-I535

xBeerdroiDx

Nov 10, 2012
Fort Worth
Well it was unlocked at the phone has a gsm option so if it wasn't compatable I don't see why they would have the option there to actually use a gsm network.

Sent from my SCH-I535

You need to read more.

this phone only supports GSM with EDGE data.* This essentially means that you'll get 2G data speeds (unless you have a WiFi connection) because it doesn't support UMTS/HSPA+ which is required for international and U.S. 3G data. the 4G LTE frequency supported by this phone is only used in the U.S.* For those who don't know UMTS/HSPA+ is the 3G technology used by GSM carriers internationally (and used by AT&T and T-Mobile in the U.S.) which is different from the CDMA/EV-DO 3G technology used by Verizon and Sprint.*

This phone IS unlocked, that part is correct. But only for gsm carriers

Last edited:

Synaaron

Aug 15, 2011
Hamburg
So its preventing me from recieving ANY form of data possible?? It is a Verizon phone and I have ATT so you mean it doesn't support GSM then right?

Sent from my SCH-I535

xBeerdroiDx

Nov 10, 2012
Fort Worth
You're in an at&t s3 forum with a verizon s3 that has zero data. If you really want to pursue this issue, you should start looking around in the Verizon S3 forums

Voicebox

Sep 5, 2010
If I'm not mistaken, some Verizon devices will not work on US gsm networks even if unlocked, only foreign gsm networks.

Saw an article about this, although it might have been a different phone that was being discussed.

Synaaron

Aug 15, 2011
Hamburg
Well rhank you everyone for dealing with my stupidity... I here on give up on this phone and am gonna sell/trade it for an ATT GS3...

Sent from my SCH-I535

aybarrap1

Mar 21, 2010
Guantanamo Bay
Moto X Style (Pure)
Moto X4
Well rhank you everyone for dealing with my stupidity... I here on give up on this phone and am gonna sell/trade it for an ATT GS3...

Sent from my SCH-I535

If you are going to stick with AT&T, that is the way to go if you want to have data. No worries. Stupidity is only if you didn't learn anything. You had ignorance of the situation and now your don't. Do some research on any phone before you buy next time (especially if branded from another carrier). This can save you a lot of headaches as you have just learned. Just remember some basics from this forum. Good luck.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sent from my SCH-I535

If you are going to stick with AT&T, that is the way to go if you want to have data. No worries. Stupidity is only if you didn't learn anything. You had ignorance of the situation and now your don't. Do some research on any phone before you buy next time (especially if branded from another carrier). This can save you a lot of headaches as you have just learned. Just remember some basics from this forum. Good luck.