[Q] Awhh C'mon, Help needed PA 3.99 Rc2 Z Ultra dilemma

Search This thread

hughisdaft

Jun 28, 2014
My intentions are to run Paranoid Android 3.99 rc2 as shown here by this guide http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2464072 On my Xperia Z Ultra

Phone is currently rooted and has a custom kernel installed all in compliance with this method here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2714511

Slightly frustrated as I thought that I was now ready to install Paranoid Android after unlocking bootloader, installing superuser and my recovery systems (TWRP) that came with the kernel I installed again for reference the kernel I am using http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2714511

But it seems that I will now need to repeat the entire process and install this kernel This rom uses a CM11.0 msm8974 kernel that complies with the version of PA 3.99 that I wish to run

Am I an idiot can I install PA 3.99 as done above with my current kernel and root access after all. or will I need to possibly downgrade to earlier firmware to install the suitable kernel adhering to the guide for installing PA 3.99 as linked above and if so how ?

As you can tell I am completely and utterly over my head. This is after all my first attempt at Rooting and flashing customs roms :eek:

Z Ultra info

Model: C6833

Android version 4.4.2

Kernel version: 3.4.0-perf
jackie099@ubuntu #1
Fri Apr 11 19:24:26 PDT 2014

Build number: 14.3.A.0.757

Last edited:

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
You should be able to just flash PA from jackie's kernel without issue. Note though that PA probably comes with CWM not twrp (but I'm not sure) so make sure that if you have a backup made in TWRP also do one in CWM.

The zip for the ROM will contain its own kernel and recovery

Reactions: hughisdaft

hughisdaft

Jun 28, 2014
You should be able to just flash PA from jackie's kernel without issue. Note though that PA probably comes with CWM not twrp (but I'm not sure) so make sure that if you have a backup made in TWRP also do one in CWM.

Thank you, So no foreseeable issue will arise after using flash tools to load PA and Gapps in the same fashion as the PA guide without any further alteration to anything am I correct ?

Also Steps 2-4 in the PA guide confuse me especially after many people admit to not even doing them, Are they unnecessary

INSTRUCTIONS,

1. POWER OFF THE PHONE
2. HOLD VOL+ AND PLUG USB TO BOOT INTO FASTBOOT (BLUE LED)
3. fastboot flash boot boot.img (from aospa/cm11 zip)
4. fastboot reboot
5. ENTER RECOVERY, on boot led will be violet for 3'', during this period press vol+
6. INSTALL ROM (MIRROR) AND GAPPS
7. FACTORY RESET
8. WIPE CACHE & DALVIK CACHE
9. REBOOT

Thank you
hugh

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Thank you, So no foreseeable issue will arise after using flash tools to load PA and Gapps in the same fashion as the PA guide without any further alteration to anything am I correct ?

Also Steps 2-4 in the PA guide confuse me especially after many people admit to not even doing them, Are they unnecessary

INSTRUCTIONS,

1. POWER OFF THE PHONE
4. fastboot reboot
5. ENTER RECOVERY, on boot led will be violet for 3'', during this period press vol+
7. FACTORY RESET
9. REBOOT

Thank you
hugh
This is what I would as you already have recovery:

1. Copy PA and gapps to sdcard (say /internal/Download/)
  2. Reboot to recovery
    • Hold vol + when LED is purple (CWM recovery)
  3. Make nandroid backup of current system
  4. Factory rest (wipe data)
  5. Install ROM then gapps
  6. Reboot to new system

Reactions: hughisdaft

hughisdaft

Jun 28, 2014

2. Reboot to recovery
  6. Reboot to new system

Disregard in my previous post where I speak of using Flash tools.... Brain fart whoops

Thanks

hughisdaft

Jun 28, 2014

2. Reboot to recovery
  6. Reboot to new system

Success, But also failure ! No matter what I do I cannot connect to my mobile network manualy put in Apns and the likes for nada.

My question, I used my backup and went back to normal root from earlier, Can I now just download and install the latest PA 4.4 and install it in the exact same fashion ?

As you can see I still do not have my head around Kernels :eek:

Thank you

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Success, But also failure ! No matter what I do I cannot connect to my mobile network manualy put in Apns and the likes for nada.

My question, I used my backup and went back to normal root from earlier, Can I now just download and install the latest PA 4.4 and install it in the exact same fashion ?

As you can see I still do not have my head around Kernels :eek:

Thank you

As long as you still have recovery yes.

If you lose recovery or if the ROM fails to install the you will need to do the steps 1 - 4 from your post above

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

INSTRUCTIONS,

1. POWER OFF THE PHONE
    4. fastboot reboot
    7. FACTORY RESET
    9. REBOOT

Thank you
    hugh

2. Reboot to recovery
    6. Reboot to new system