[Q] Bootloop - After Editing Settings.db - HELP!

Search This thread

ashens

Jun 17, 2012
NYC
Hey guys,

It seems I am in over my head here...

I was trying to get my Nexus 5 to tether and I followed directions to add a line my settings.db. After I restarted my phone, it's now stuck in a boot loop with the 4 colored circles.

After some googling, it seems that by editing settings.db on my PC and putting it back onto the phone, I might've messed the the permissions which is causing my phone to bootloop.

I've tried pulling the settings.db files using adb commands, but they don't seem to be working. It doesn't recognize my device during the bootloop. And "adb devices" doesn't show my phone in the cmd prompt, and any adb commands I try gets me a "device not found" error.

Fastboot mode still works though I think, because"fastboot devices" shows my phone in the cmd prompt.

Is there anyway I can save my phone without losing the data I have, which is mainly my pictures?

...I won't be able to sleep unless this gets fixed.

Many Thanks.

D

Darth

You could fastboot the stock image.....but I think your pics would be gone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

GUGUITOMTG4

Oct 26, 2011
GuGuPlace
Hey guys,

I was trying to get my Nexus 5 to tether and I followed directions to add a line my settings.db. After I restarted my phone, it's now stuck in a boot loop with the 4 colored circles.

After some googling, it seems that by editing settings.db on my PC and putting it back onto the phone, I might've messed the the permissions which is causing my phone to bootloop.

I've tried pulling the settings.db files using adb commands, but they don't seem to be working. It doesn't recognize my device during the bootloop. And "adb devices" doesn't show my phone in the cmd prompt, and any adb commands I try gets me a "device not found" error.

Fastboot mode still works though I think, because"fastboot devices" shows my phone in the cmd prompt.

Is there anyway I can save my phone without losing the data I have, which is mainly my pictures?

Many Thanks.

Hi, adb won't work if the system is not loaded, It can work on custom recovery though.
Your options are many. Flash custom recovery like TWRP, fix permissions from recovery. Or on recovery, try to pull the file via adb and push the original one.
If problem persists, will have to backup data, wipe system, cache and flash new Rom
After that, if want to go back to stock http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2513701

Reactions: ashens

GUGUITOMTG4

Oct 26, 2011
GuGuPlace
Fixing permissions actually did fix the problem for me.

Um, any reason why I shouldn't have done it?

It was more useful on old Gingerbread Roms which randomly forced-closed system apps but on newer and more stable android versions, that was rendered obsolete. I suggested using this because It has worked for me when editing files from PC. Also you phone was not working already, what else would go wrong by trying it. Also you wanted to keep data, so, simple steps first. Glad you fixed it.:good:

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Y
Fixing permissions actually did fix the problem for me.

Um, any reason why I shouldn't have done it?

Yep. "Fix permissions" as an option in recovery goes around applying permissions to everything. But seriously, how does it "know" what permission everything your specific config requires is? Well it can't. It can only "best guess" from a list of "expected" permissions.

Applying permissions itself is not a problem if you know what it should be but the blanket shotgun approach is very dangerous. It often causes more problems than it fixes.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

Many Thanks.

Hi, adb won't work if the system is not loaded, It can work on custom recovery though.
    Your options are many. Flash custom recovery like TWRP, fix permissions from recovery. Or on recovery, try to pull the file via adb and push the original one.
    If problem persists, will have to backup data, wipe system, cache and flash new Rom
    After that, if want to go back to stock http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2513701
    Just adb from custom recovery
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=47623410

Do NOT fix permissions from TWRP. I wish they'd remove this option so people stop thinking its useful.

Or restore the nandroid backup you took before modifying your rom ;)