AGPS Patch Flyer 3.1 & 2.2 | GET BACK TO RAPID GPS LOCK, CAN LOCK ONTO MORE SATS

Search This thread

crypted

Nov 20, 2007
Miami, FL
derekgordon.com
AGPS PATCH

REVIEW THE WHOLE THREAD BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS.

List of officially supported devices is at the bottom of this post.

Use this if you're having GPS issues (unreliability, no functionality, etc.)

This patch provides a worldwide solution to GPS issue for multiple devices. Using a general ROM without this has resulted in 10+ minutes of GPS delay. Also, GPS lock kept being lost. By using this patch, most people experience a GPS lock within 10 seconds (2 - 20 seconds range can be expected). Typically, a device using this patch will lock onto 7 - 9 satellites. Users have reported up to 11 satellites being locked at once. Without this patch, the average satellite count is 4.

HOWTO INSTALL: (Remember to make a backup. See Notes section for what this patch does.)

Method 1:
1. Download the "ADB Push Installer". This contains all versions for the latest build and old v1.3 versions.
2. Extract the files into a specific folder.
3. Plug your device into the computer and get it ready for adb pushing. Nothing out of the ordinary required.
4. Open the batch file called "ADB Installation Script - RUN THIS" if you use Windows. Otherwise, run the Linux SH script if you use Linux.
5. Select the version you want from the list.
6. Follow the prompts to reboot. You're done.
4. Review the NOTES section.

Method 2:
1. Download the patch
2. Copy all file(s)* into /etc/ of the system (not sd-card) using ES File Explorer, Root Explorer, or some other form. You must have SYSTEM set to Mounted and Root enabled. Check your explorer app's SETTINGS to do this.
**Files will be: gps.conf & SUPLROOTCERT -OR- only gps.conf for NO-SSL builds.**
3. Reboot the device
*Files are located in the /system/ folder of the ZIP. Do not copy the other directories or folders.

Method 3 (easiest if you use a compatible version of CWR or CWM)*:
1. Download the patch
2. Boot into CWR (Clockwork Recovery)
3. Mount /system/ partition (on the main menu, select the "Mounts and storage" option, then "mount /system")
4. Flash the patch (on the main menu, select "Install zip from sdcard," then "choose zip from sdcard," and find the zip and select it)
If you receive "(Status 0) Installation aborted" this Method will not work for you. Use one of the other methods.
5. Reboot the device
6. Review the NOTES section.
*This was built for and works on Inspire 4G and DesireHD versions of Clockwork Recovery. The Google CWM Flashable Build has binaries known to work with CWM on the X8. It may work on other devices. Please message me your success if you try and flash with recovery version and phone model as part of the message.

Downloads:
SEE THE NOTES SECTION (PARTICULARLY NOTES 1,2, & 3) FOR ALL SORTS OF INFORMATION AND FACTS ABOUT THIS PATCH, WHAT EACH BUILD IS FOR, VERSION DIFFERENCES, AND KNOWN ISSUES WITH SOLUTIONS.

Recommended Builds (pick either):
Download the Google Specific No-SSL v3.1 build here. (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)
Download the Google Specific v3.1 build here. (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)

Confused with all the options below? As the Notes section dictates: I recommend the GOOGLE BUILD of all devices. Other builds have changes in their SUPL server information and/or other variables pertinent to that manufacturer. These builds do not appear to operate as fast as Google build's but are available for your enjoyment.

3.x trunk Alternative Options (currently v3.1)
Download the ADB Push Installer here. (contains all current builds and v1.3 builds) (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)
Download the Google Specific NO-SSL TWRP build here. (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)
Download the Google Specific build here. (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)
Download the Google Specific NO-SSL build here. (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)
Download the Google Specific Alternate* build here. (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)
Download the Google Specific CWM Flashable build here. (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)
Download the AT&T Specific build here. (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)
Download the T-Mobile Specific build here. (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)
Download the LG Phone Specific build here. (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)
Download the LG Phone Specific Alternate* build here. (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)
Download the Sony Ericsson Specific build here. (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)
Download the GPS.CONF only build here. (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)
Download the GPS.CONF only Alternate* build here. (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)
*The alternate patch removes a variable that some GPS hardware on older models cannot handle. Try this if you have problems with the standard patch.

2.x trunk Alternative Options (currently v2.2)
Download the ADB Push Installer here. (contains all current builds and v1.3 builds) (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)
Download the Google Specific build here. (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)
Download the Google Specific NO-SSL build here. (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)
Download the Google Specific Alternate* build here. (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)
Download the Google Specific CWM Flashable build here. (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)
Download the AT&T Specific build here. (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)
Download the T-Mobile Specific build here. (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)
Download the LG Phone Specific build here. (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)
Download the LG Phone Specific Alternate* build here. (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)
Download the Sony Ericsson Specific build here. (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)
Download the GPS.CONF only build here. (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)
Download the GPS.CONF only Alternate* build here. (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)
*The alternate patch removes a variable that some GPS hardware on older models cannot handle. Try this if you have problems with the standard patch.

Changelog: (I'll try to keep this correct and current)
Code:
v3.1 update - New Version
introduced the NO SSL version for Google build.  Shows faster performance times.

v3.1(HELP WITH THE MAINTANENCE COSTS - DONATE A FEW BUCKS)
introduced my own NTP pools
repaired the LG Alternate build (was same as standard build, compilation error)

v3.0 (HELP WITH THE MAINTANENCE COSTS - DONATE A FEW BUCKS)
based on v2.2 configuration
has my own XTRA/AGPS server instead of Qualcomm
re-added two AGPS variables from v1.3   (two beta-testers saw instant results with these re-added)
re-added on USE SUPL variable from v1.3   (two beta-testers saw instant results with these re-added)
variables are now divided into sections and sections have descriptions

Code:
v2.2 update - New Version
introduced the NO SSL version for Google build.  Shows faster performance times.

v2.2 (additional builds added)
added a new SUPL version using data from Sony Ericsson
added an alternate release using LG SUPL servers
added an alternate release using Google SUPL servers
updated the ADB PUSH to include new versions
fixed broken download links for the patch

v2.2
removed local AGPS variable
removed local XTRA_SERVER variable
created LG Build with LG SUPL servers (some LG ROMs fail to work with non-LG SUPL servers)
reduced redundancy in NTP and XTRA (unnecessary entries)
added newly located SUPL server to T-Mobile build

v2.1 (encompassing changes between 1.3 to 2.1)
removed two NTP server pools
removed xtra1 server
removed multiple SUPL_HOST entries
aligned SUPL_HOST with SUPLROOTCERT in each package
increased QOS timeout from 89 to 100
removed QOS standalone timeout variable
removed extra AGPS variables

Old Versions:
3.x Trunk:
v3.0 ADB Push Installer
v3.0 Google Build
v3.0 Google Alternate Build
v3.0 Google CWM Build
v3.0 AT&T Build
v3.0 T-Mobile Build
v3.0 LG Build
v3.0 LG Alternate Build
v3.0 Sony Ericsson Build
v3.0 GPS Only Build
v3.0 GPS Only Alternate Build

2.x Trunk:
v2.1 Google Generic Build
v2.1 AT&T Specific Build
v2.1 T-Mobile Specific Build
v2.1 GPS.Conf Only Build
v2.1 GPS.Conf Only Build (alternate)
v2.0 Google Generic Build
v2.0 AT&T Specific Build
v2.0 T-Mobile Specific Build
v2.0 GPS.Conf Only Build
v2.0 GPS.Conf Only Build (alternate)

1.x Trunk:
Worldwide 1.3
Worldwide 1.3n (alternate)
North America 1.2
Worldwide 1.2
Worldwide 1.2n (alternate)
North America 1.1
Worldwide 1.1
Worldwide 1.0 (not recommended)
North America 1.0 (not recommended)

Rules For Posting Questions:
  1. Read the Notes Section first. I will refuse to answer questions that can be answered by some reading. If it is based upon something in the Notes Section, REFER TO THE NOTE when asking.
  2. Answer the following questions: What ROM you are using?, What kernel are you using?, What GPS apps you have installed?, Where is your general location?, Are you using a case?, Has your GPS worked fine before?, Does it work fine with some apps and not others?, What else happened around the time your GPS stopped working? -AND- Have you reviewed the Notes Section?
  3. DO NOT criticize the user of custom third-party NTP pools and xtra.bin data as dangerous. You obviously HAVE NOT read the Notes section OR reviewed the concurrent branch 2.x to discover it offers the standard NTP pool and Qualcomm-based xtra.bin server.
  4. Don't indulge yourself in ignornat posts. Provide information that may be relevant to helping. Simply stating "this stopped working" or "I can't get it to work" helps nothing and only annoys other readers AND those who may be willing to help you just will not do it.

NOTES Section:
  1. This patch will work with virtually all Qualcomm, Android phones and has been reported to work with other chipsets as well. That means hundreds of devices could see a benefit to GPS performance from this patch.
  2. This patch has various objectives to ensure stability and efficacy with GPS. Locally, the patch will replace your /system/etc/gps.conf and your /system/etc/suplrootcert if you have this file. You can compare the difference in what you have to this one to get an idea of all the changes. V3.1, onward, contains section descriptions for variables in use. Most notably, starting with v3.1 the aGPS Patch uses my own central NTP DNS pool and my own central xtra.bin server by default. The xtra.bin does have fallback servers should mine fail. But, that is very, VERY much an unlikely scenario. These two imperatives allow for better stability and speed by providing top-rated NTP servers and prime-routed network access to transmit the xtra.bin to your phone.
  3. I recommend the GOOGLE BUILD of all trunks. However, you can use any build with any phone. You may have good luck with specific builds that do not fit your phone or carrier criteria. If you're curious, test it and see.
  4. This works with ANY ROM unless the ROM has aGPS and/or GPS disabled in the code. This happens with CMx nightlies and some betas! I cannot fix this, neither can you.
  5. Remember, this has to be reflashed when you update or change ROMs.
  6. Short patch history: The 1.x trunk only flashed a modified gps.conf file which relied solely on Qualcomm and NTP.ORG. Starting with 2.x, a gps.conf and a matching SUPLROOTCERT file for SUPL server authentication is included. The 3.x trunk offers the same as v2.x but adds better sourcing for NTP data and for the xtra.bin file; it utilizes my own server to do so.
  7. Why toss out SSL?Whether or not you have a current SUPL certificate is questionable. Some have expired. Some will expire soon. Either way, the servers may provide SSL access without proper certificates depending upon configuration. That aside, I have found that SSL and secure communications over data networks slows the response times. I see no reason to use SSL for location information. If someone has a logger to obtain your location, SSL will not assist in stopping it. The bad app will continue to obtain your information by "stealing" it and you have more problems than a simple SSL-SUPL communications leak.
  8. NO-SSL Builds will not have a SUPLROOTCERT because these builds do not use SSL. The SUPLROOTCERT is a certificate used for authentication of SSL connections. There is no need for this file for the GPS at this point.
  9. IF you have issues with v2.x or v3.x, your ROM might require more variables. Try the old worldwide v1.3 version in this instance.
  10. IF you still are facing issues, it might be that your GPS hardware is very much outdated. Try any "Alternate" build to see if this helps.
  11. CMx ROM users may not experience benefits from this patch. However, we have had good reports from CM users with one negative one. Remember to do all of the steps when flashing and the following notes are important too!
  12. Reports indicate that this patch DOES WORK with the next iteration of Android, Jelly Bean. This patch has worked from Android 2.2 (Froyo) up through Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean). Therefore, it works with all iterations on the market. I will remove support as soon as it is confirmed to NOT work with a new version of Android.
  13. Reports show that certain ROM's including some CM builds require a modification in the build.prop. You need to change "ro.ril.def.agps.mode = 2" or "ro.ril.def.agps.mode = 0" to be "ro.ril.def.agps.mode = 1" in order for aGPS to properly function. Only do this IF YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS after attempting the standard patch.
  14. Your phone "learns" about the individual GPS satellites. This is part of the aGPS design. Don't be surprised if the first time you use GPS Status that it takes 20+ seconds to "lock".
  15. I have read a lot that indicates that it is best to let your GPS run using any application for a while to "learn" aGPS information. I let GPS Status run for about 10 minutes (it has an option to disable the screen timeout, which I do) each "first time" to learn. I say each because I test a lot of tweaks and fully reset/delete GPS cached information to start retesting.
  16. Remember, this has to be reflashed when you update or change ROMs. Each ROM will have its own gps.conf, normally not suited to all devices.
  17. I use GPS Status to test my signal strength. It isn't 100% accurate, but it gives a very good sense of how the GPS is performing.
  18. If you're wondering why GPS is slow on certain apps? Or, you show up as on a street when you're 6 meters away from it? Well, those apps process GPS data differently which is out of anyone's control except the app developer. Certain apps will force your location to a street until you pass the app error threshold. Food for thought.
  19. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER GPS FIXING APPS with this patch. If you do, and you still have problems, I cannot help you. A number of these Apps will overwrite what my patch does dynamically.
  20. Variables are described starting in v3.0. Open up gps.conf in a text editor to read about what variable sections are for. It isn't in-depth, but should be enough to help you get a general understanding.
  21. Still having weak GPS reception? Take your case off. Cases have been known to affect signal, though some argue against it. Personally, I get 3 more sat's when I remove my case.
  22. There is a reported variable that can cause some GPS units not to work as well as it should with this patch. This is very odd as it's hit-and-miss and only seems to cause problems on less than 10% of handsets. This doesn't mean it screws up anything! It's possibly an older piece of GPS hardware incompatible with this variable. Have no fear, v1.2 will remove this variable for the worldwide version. This issue is more prone to occur in DHD.
  23. Tried taking the battery out for 30 seconds? Some have reported that their phone required the battery to be removed. First, power off the device. Second, remove the battery for 30 seconds. Third, put it back in and give it a try. I cannot explain this except for possible cache clearing.
  24. Some Inspire 4G and DHD devices have hardware problems. There is a known problem that the spring connectors to the GPS antenna sometimes are out of place or quit touching. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1101066 provides a video on self-repair.
  25. An error in flashing this patch means that this method will not work for you. Use one of the other methods for flashing this patch. Don't ask why or for a fix. There are hundreds of variations of recovery systems and update binaries. I do not have the time or desire to support them all. This is why I describe other install methods. Reference error: E:Error in /sdcard/android apps/agps.patch.google.build.nossl.v3.1.zip (Status 0) Installation aborted.
  26. Location is way off? Like, not near you at all? This means your GPS is not actually being used. Try the following to resolve it: Goto Settings -> Locations and disable ALL options. Reboot into recovery. Clear Cache and Dalvik Cache. Reboot normally. Go back to Settings -> Locations and only enable GPS. Reboot once more and try your GPS again. If this didn't work, did you read all of the Notes such as the one about the battery or RIL?
  27. Donations: If you wonder why I asked for donations, it's simple. Users of v3.x are gaining extra, noticeable benefit over v2.x. This comes at a cost to someone. I pay the bills to provide a reliable data setup to transmit the xtra.bin data file and to provide the top NTP SERVERS in one DNS pool. To help keep this going, I just ask for the user to consider a donation. Nothing more, nothing less. Thank you for your consideration.

AGPS Patch Officially Supported Devices:
Acer Iconia
Asus Transformer Prime
Asus Transformer (TF101)
Asus Transformer TF300T
HTC Inspire 4G
HTC Desire HD
HTC Sensation
HTC Incredible S
HTC Salsa
HTC Flyer
HTC Evo 3D
HTC Desire S
HTC Wildfire
HTC Wildfire S
HTC Droid Incredible 2
HTC Thunderbolt
HTC Desire
HTC Desire Z
HTC One X
LG GT-540 OPTIMUS
LG Optimus One
Motorola Triumph
Motorola Droid X2
Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket (SGH-I727)
Samsung Galaxy S II (I9100)
Samsung Galaxy S II (SGH-T989)
Samsung Galaxy S Plus I9000
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Samssung Galaxy S III (AT&T, Rogers, Bell, Telus)
Samsung Galaxy S III I9300, I9305
Samsung Galaxy S 4G
Sony Ericcson XPERIA X8

* I do not officially support all devices that this patch is known to work on at this time. You may private message me your success story for official support considerations.

Thanks Section
While this has gone a long distance since its inception, I want to still send thanks to Angeldeath for permitting me to take his early work and start tweaking it for HTC Inspire 4G users. This inevitably led to what we have here today.
Thank you to all those who joined and participate in the testing community. Without their help, I couldn't get enough data to know how well this works on different devices and in various regions of this planet we call Earth.
Thank you eagleeyetom, husky69, and tamagotono for their work in building an ADB pushing environment for Windows and for Linux respectively.

If you are happy with the patch and find this thread useful, please consider pressing the "Thanks" button on any of my posts on this thread. You may also consider rating this thread with five stars if you're satisfied. You may do so just below "Search This Thread" on the right-side at the top of this post. Donations are appreciated (See last NOTE)

Last edited:

superdino

Aug 24, 2010
Thanks. I will try this out today.

I noticed since when I upgraded to HC my Flyer always looses the GPS fix while driving.
With Android 2.3 everyting was fine.

Hope this will fix it now.

superdino

Aug 24, 2010
This didn't change a thing on my Flyer.. Still the same problems.

I wish I could just go back to Android 2.3 on my Flyer.

crypted

Nov 20, 2007
Miami, FL
derekgordon.com
v2.1 is out

Everyone, the latest version is out. It's a minor update.

I put a changelog on the thread now. It's just above the Notes section.

Also, there is a new installation method. You can install via a batch script. It uses adb push behind the scenes to install whatever patch you select from the menu options.

I flashed WestfireROM Flyer v1.4 and now I've noticed GPS doesn't seem to work on this ROM? I tried it on my phone which is an HTC EVO and I got a lock fast because I thought the bad cloudy rain we are having caused it worked fine on my phone. Then I tried my HTC Flyer Wifi tablet from Best Buy and it simply checks for a signal forever! I know the GPS was working when I bought it a few days ago. Also this was the frist ROM to have GPS not checked automatically from the start. Does anyone have any info or does GPS work on yours? Like I said mine is the HTC Flyer from Best Buy with only Wifi. I tried the generic Google patch version 2 and it doesn't seem to work?

Thanks,

5th

crypted

Nov 20, 2007
Miami, FL
derekgordon.com
I flashed WestfireROM Flyer v1.4 and now I've noticed GPS doesn't seem to work on this ROM? I tried it on my phone which is an HTC EVO and I got a lock fast because I thought the bad cloudy rain we are having caused it worked fine on my phone. Then I tried my HTC Flyer Wifi tablet from Best Buy and it simply checks for a signal forever! I know the GPS was working when I bought it a few days ago. Also this was the frist ROM to have GPS not checked automatically from the start. Does anyone have any info or does GPS work on yours? Like I said mine is the HTC Flyer from Best Buy with only Wifi. I tried the generic Google patch version 2 and it doesn't seem to work?

Are you using it within WiFi range? It downloads aGPS data and uses SUPL servers to get your location quickly. The data downloaded helps it know what satellites are near you at that time and where to find them. I know this is an over simplistic explanation but should get the idea. ;)

crypted

Nov 20, 2007
Miami, FL
derekgordon.com
I have released v2.2. Changelog is updated. A new version is out for LG phones. It might work with others just fine as it is only a change in SUPL to LG servers.

Still working on v3.x I promise!

crypted

Nov 20, 2007
Miami, FL
derekgordon.com
NEW VERSION(S) OUT!

v2.2 is updated. There were bad ZIP links for which I apologize for. Further, I added some new BUILDS. These builds can work on all phones no matter what your manufacturer is. However, some manufacturers provide SUPL data for their hardware. I'm helping you take advantage of multiple SUPL SERVER providers.

v3.0 is here! What does this mean for you?
I provide you with my very own xtra.bin file. This has led to some beta-testers having INSTANT locks. I can't promise that, but it works wonderfully for all testers except one person in China.

Guess what! It costs me money to provide this. Donations would be welcome to cover hosting fees should this work for you.

What's next for the 3.x trunk?
You should see v3.1 in a matters of weeks depending on reported success of v3.0. I intend to create my own NTP servers and NTP pools. This may cost a few dollars a month, but should be worth it for all of us.
Other flashing recoveries may be supported. Right now, I'm only providing for Clockwork Recovery. But, there are two other easy installation methods available aside from CWR in Method #3.

I've added more notes. Read them if you have issues before posting.

I've added more information to Method 2 installations.

Finally, click thanks on this POST if you truly enjoy and appreciate the work! ;)

crypted

Nov 20, 2007
Miami, FL
derekgordon.com
I just added a new flashable ZIP to both current versions. Some users are reporting issues flashing with CWM on the X8. Thanks eagleeyetom for your help as always! I placed this update on all threads so others who may not have had flash success can try it out. Feel free to send me a private message with what recovery app and version you're using, the phone model involved, and whether flashing anything worked.

Method 1 seems to be the best bet for anyone without flashable abilities with these ZIPs. It's a quick adb push script...

v3.1 is still in the works I promise. As stated previously, it'll be a bit longer before I get it out to the public. I hope to have my beta testing community trying it out in a week or so.

Again, v3.0 has all gps.conf variables grouped into sections with small discussion on what they are for. I'll try and replicate this into the v2.2 ZIP files in the near future.

crypted

Nov 20, 2007
Miami, FL
derekgordon.com
Just thought I'd post an update. The Notes section has been revamped, added, and the Notes / Still Having Problems sections have been consolidated.

I considered adding checksums to the thread. But, I really don't see the need. If people prefer not to trust this, heck with 'em. They can pay $300 for a good standalone GPS unit.

3.1 is still on track.

Reactions: rock4mayo

crypted

Nov 20, 2007
Miami, FL
derekgordon.com
Version 3.1 is released. If you didn't think it could get any faster, well you may be surprised. Beta-testers are swearing to instant locks. My magic tricks sure do pay off!

Pay off? Speaking of that... There have been 30,000 downloads of v3.0. My server has served over 100,000 xtra.bin downloads. And even though I stated that this costs me money to provide, there's been zero donations since v3.0 was released. A few bucks really can help defray the hosting and provisioning costs I incur to keep y'all running top notch. If each user gave $0.10, that would be worth a whole dediated server for a year. Just sayin'.

Devs: I request that you notate your threads with which version of my patch you're using. If you include v3.x, please note the cost to your user base. Send me a message if you're using the patch so I can keep track and keep you in the loop of any impending changes.

With that, let me know how well this performs for you. I'm interested whether users see an increase in performance over the amazing speed that v3.0 provided.

Reactions: nickiberli

crypted

Nov 20, 2007
Miami, FL
derekgordon.com
I wanted to post a few things to the user community.

1. If you're a DEV and are using this in your ROM, please private message me your ROM thread and which version of this patch you're using. This will be useful with tracking, letting you know of updates for your ROM, and supporting users. If you know of this being used in a ROM, and you're not a DEV, you can report it to!

2. Version 3.1 is a great success. Today alone, the xtra.bin has been served 61,441 times to aGPS Patch users. The 3.1 files have been downloaded almost 10,000 times today as well.

3. Updates will continue to occur server-side for v3.1 and beyond. This means that barring any unforeseen issues, v3.1 will stick for some time without a predecessor. As you may have noticed, your xtra.bin and your NTP pool are through me! This means I can keep providing incoming data for you without needing to update the patch to achieve the same changes. Feel free to toss a penny in the pot.

4. Rate the thread! Some threads have been rated nicely. Others have been attacked with +1 ratings by users who failed to read instructions and/or seek help fixing their issues. This gives a bad impression to new users on XDA. I shouldn't be held accountable for hardware, ROM, or other software related issues out of the control of this patch.

5. Let everyone know of your success. If you're using this patch, let people know what ROM, RIL, Radio, and case you're utilizing. This will help greatly in supporting users who want to know what to use this patch with for best results. I only own one device I officially support, so it's hard helping those seeking assistance with those pieces of advice!

Thanks again for being supportive of this project. I'm glad that I could assist many of you with the same GPS issues I was facing. I literally decided not to buy a new GPS for my car after fixing this issue when my first version was release. :)

Reactions: rock4mayo

crypted

Nov 20, 2007
Miami, FL
derekgordon.com
First, I want to with everyone a very happy holiday season. I will be sporadic with my responses to any questions or comments here on the aGPS Patch threads for the next three to four weeks.

Things to think about if you're having an issue:
  1. Read all of the Notes Section commentary. I wrote that because so many people continually have the same or similar issue that can be easily resolved.
  2. Remember that any GPS tools from Android Market CAN and usually DO overwrite this patch. Therefore, don't use any. The only thing I recommend if you're wanting to get stats is GPS Status, as referenced hundreds of times by yours truly.
  3. If your getting a weak signal: remove the phone from a case and try again. Try a different ROM as CM users and ROMs derived from CM tend to show problems because of faulty ROM compilation, not this patch. Ensure your build.prop has the right variables. Go outside, try again. Lastly, delete the SUPL server section from the bottom of the gps.conf and try without that. Some models with some ROMs have issues with SUPL...outside of my control.
  4. Post and wait for someone to respond. I'll do my best to get on the forum off and on over the holidays.

So, let me give you a general update directed to those 3.x trunk users:
  1. My server has automatically generated an xtra.bin file for your GPS excitement 3,980 times since September 26th when the first beta went online to test it out. :eek:
  2. My server attempts to build a new version every 30 minutes. Depending on what it can decypher from other xtra.bin sources, it provides a totally fresh xtra.bin approximately every 1.2 hours.
  3. My server has served up over 500,000 xtra.bin files to users like you on XDA since v3.1 was released.
  4. My server continues to provide a reliable NTP pool to v3.x users by directing your phones to a handful of RELIABLE and FAST-RESPONDING NTP servers around the world. This ensures you can travel and not have to switch NTP pools.

If you're a DEV and this is used in your ROM, please notify me via private message with a link to your ROM thread. This helps me track issues and keep you up-to-date with any new versions. We both win there!

Finally, if you use v3.x you should remember this isn't free to me. As all of the information above notes "My server...", I foot the bill to keep supplying this data. It's useful as hell to you and to me. :D

Consider donating a little to help offset server costs AND to help expand provisioning should enough donations come in. You can donate via Paypal by clicking the donate button next to my username on this or any of my posts. Every little bit helps. If you can't, I understand that as well. :eek:

Again, thanks everyone. Don't forget to click the Thanks button on my posts should you enjoy what I've got to say...like those amazing numbers cited above for 3.x users.

macr0t0r

Feb 20, 2011
So, has anyone tried this on the Sprint EVO View 4G (Sprint version of the HTC Flyer)? Th radios are different between the Flyer and View, so I'm not sure if this will break anything.
- Jim

crypted

Nov 20, 2007
Miami, FL
derekgordon.com
So, has anyone tried this on the Sprint EVO View 4G (Sprint version of the HTC Flyer)? Th radios are different between the Flyer and View, so I'm not sure if this will break anything.
- Jim

This has nothing to do with radios. It only updates your system/etc/gps.conf and the suplrootcert if you have one. You could back up those files and try it. But, it doesn't have the power to destroy the devices communication to the Sprint network whatsoever.

Let me know how it goes if you give it a round. If anything, GPS will improve.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    AGPS PATCH

List of officially supported devices is at the bottom of this post.

Use this if you're having GPS issues (unreliability, no functionality, etc.)

This patch provides a worldwide solution to GPS issue for multiple devices. Using a general ROM without this has resulted in 10+ minutes of GPS delay. Also, GPS lock kept being lost. By using this patch, most people experience a GPS lock within 10 seconds (2 - 20 seconds range can be expected). Typically, a device using this patch will lock onto 7 - 9 satellites. Users have reported up to 11 satellites being locked at once. Without this patch, the average satellite count is 4.

HOWTO INSTALL: (Remember to make a backup. See Notes section for what this patch does.)

Method 1:
    1. Download the "ADB Push Installer". This contains all versions for the latest build and old v1.3 versions.
    2. Extract the files into a specific folder.
    3. Plug your device into the computer and get it ready for adb pushing. Nothing out of the ordinary required.
    4. Open the batch file called "ADB Installation Script - RUN THIS" if you use Windows. Otherwise, run the Linux SH script if you use Linux.
    5. Select the version you want from the list.
    6. Follow the prompts to reboot. You're done.

Method 2:
    1. Download the patch
    2. Copy all file(s)* into /etc/ of the system (not sd-card) using ES File Explorer, Root Explorer, or some other form. You must have SYSTEM set to Mounted and Root enabled. Check your explorer app's SETTINGS to do this.
    **Files will be: gps.conf & SUPLROOTCERT -OR- only gps.conf for NO-SSL builds.**
    3. Reboot the device
    *Files are located in the /system/ folder of the ZIP. Do not copy the other directories or folders.

Method 3 (easiest if you use a compatible version of CWR or CWM)*:
    1. Download the patch
    2. Boot into CWR (Clockwork Recovery)
    3. Mount /system/ partition (on the main menu, select the "Mounts and storage" option, then "mount /system")
    4. Flash the patch (on the main menu, select "Install zip from sdcard," then "choose zip from sdcard," and find the zip and select it)
    If you receive "(Status 0) Installation aborted" this Method will not work for you. Use one of the other methods.
    5. Reboot the device
    6. Review the NOTES section.
    *This was built for and works on Inspire 4G and DesireHD versions of Clockwork Recovery. The Google CWM Flashable Build has binaries known to work with CWM on the X8. It may work on other devices. Please message me your success if you try and flash with recovery version and phone model as part of the message.

Downloads:
    SEE THE NOTES SECTION (PARTICULARLY NOTES 1,2, & 3) FOR ALL SORTS OF INFORMATION AND FACTS ABOUT THIS PATCH, WHAT EACH BUILD IS FOR, VERSION DIFFERENCES, AND KNOWN ISSUES WITH SOLUTIONS.

Recommended Builds (pick either):
    Download the Google Specific No-SSL v3.1 build here. (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)
    Download the Google Specific v3.1 build here. (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)

Confused with all the options below? As the Notes section dictates: I recommend the GOOGLE BUILD of all devices. Other builds have changes in their SUPL server information and/or other variables pertinent to that manufacturer. These builds do not appear to operate as fast as Google build's but are available for your enjoyment.

3.x trunk Alternative Options (currently v3.1)
    Download the Google Specific NO-SSL TWRP build here. (Like it? Don't forget to click on "Thanks" and to rate the thread)

2.x trunk Alternative Options (currently v2.2)

Changelog: (I'll try to keep this correct and current)
    Code:
    v3.1 update - New Version

v3.1(HELP WITH THE MAINTANENCE COSTS - DONATE A FEW BUCKS)
    introduced my own NTP pools
    repaired the LG Alternate build (was same as standard build, compilation error)

v3.0 (HELP WITH THE MAINTANENCE COSTS - DONATE A FEW BUCKS)
    based on v2.2 configuration
    has my own XTRA/AGPS server instead of Qualcomm
    re-added two AGPS variables from v1.3   (two beta-testers saw instant results with these re-added)
    re-added on USE SUPL variable from v1.3   (two beta-testers saw instant results with these re-added)
    variables are now divided into sections and sections have descriptions

Code:
    v2.2 update - New Version

v2.2 (additional builds added)
    added a new SUPL version using data from Sony Ericsson
    added an alternate release using LG SUPL servers
    added an alternate release using Google SUPL servers
    updated the ADB PUSH to include new versions
    fixed broken download links for the patch

v2.2
    removed local AGPS variable
    removed local XTRA_SERVER variable
    created LG Build with LG SUPL servers (some LG ROMs fail to work with non-LG SUPL servers)
    reduced redundancy in NTP and XTRA (unnecessary entries)
    added newly located SUPL server to T-Mobile build

v2.1 (encompassing changes between 1.3 to 2.1)
    removed two NTP server pools
    removed xtra1 server
    removed multiple SUPL_HOST entries
    aligned SUPL_HOST with SUPLROOTCERT in each package
    increased QOS timeout from 89 to 100
    removed QOS standalone timeout variable
    removed extra AGPS variables

Old Versions:
    3.x Trunk:
    v3.0 ADB Push Installer
    v3.0 Google Build
    v3.0 Google Alternate Build
    v3.0 Google CWM Build
    v3.0 AT&T Build
    v3.0 T-Mobile Build
    v3.0 LG Build
    v3.0 LG Alternate Build
    v3.0 Sony Ericsson Build
    v3.0 GPS Only Build
    v3.0 GPS Only Alternate Build

2.x Trunk:
    v2.1 Google Generic Build
    v2.1 AT&T Specific Build
    v2.1 T-Mobile Specific Build
    v2.1 GPS.Conf Only Build
    v2.1 GPS.Conf Only Build (alternate)
    v2.0 Google Generic Build
    v2.0 AT&T Specific Build
    v2.0 T-Mobile Specific Build
    v2.0 GPS.Conf Only Build
    v2.0 GPS.Conf Only Build (alternate)

1.x Trunk:
    Worldwide 1.3
    Worldwide 1.3n (alternate)
    North America 1.2
    Worldwide 1.2
    Worldwide 1.2n (alternate)
    North America 1.1
    Worldwide 1.1
    Worldwide 1.0 (not recommended)
    North America 1.0 (not recommended)

Rules For Posting Questions:
    1. Read the Notes Section first. I will refuse to answer questions that can be answered by some reading. If it is based upon something in the Notes Section, REFER TO THE NOTE when asking.
    2. Answer the following questions: What ROM you are using?, What kernel are you using?, What GPS apps you have installed?, Where is your general location?, Are you using a case?, Has your GPS worked fine before?, Does it work fine with some apps and not others?, What else happened around the time your GPS stopped working? -AND- Have you reviewed the Notes Section?
    3. DO NOT criticize the user of custom third-party NTP pools and xtra.bin data as dangerous. You obviously HAVE NOT read the Notes section OR reviewed the concurrent branch 2.x to discover it offers the standard NTP pool and Qualcomm-based xtra.bin server.
    4. Don't indulge yourself in ignornat posts. Provide information that may be relevant to helping. Simply stating "this stopped working" or "I can't get it to work" helps nothing and only annoys other readers AND those who may be willing to help you just will not do it.

NOTES Section:
    1. This patch will work with virtually all Qualcomm, Android phones and has been reported to work with other chipsets as well. That means hundreds of devices could see a benefit to GPS performance from this patch.
    2. This patch has various objectives to ensure stability and efficacy with GPS. Locally, the patch will replace your /system/etc/gps.conf and your /system/etc/suplrootcert if you have this file. You can compare the difference in what you have to this one to get an idea of all the changes. V3.1, onward, contains section descriptions for variables in use. Most notably, starting with v3.1 the aGPS Patch uses my own central NTP DNS pool and my own central xtra.bin server by default. The xtra.bin does have fallback servers should mine fail. But, that is very, VERY much an unlikely scenario. These two imperatives allow for better stability and speed by providing top-rated NTP servers and prime-routed network access to transmit the xtra.bin to your phone.
    3. I recommend the GOOGLE BUILD of all trunks. However, you can use any build with any phone. You may have good luck with specific builds that do not fit your phone or carrier criteria. If you're curious, test it and see.
    4. This works with ANY ROM unless the ROM has aGPS and/or GPS disabled in the code. This happens with CMx nightlies and some betas! I cannot fix this, neither can you.
    5. Remember, this has to be reflashed when you update or change ROMs.
    6. Short patch history: The 1.x trunk only flashed a modified gps.conf file which relied solely on Qualcomm and NTP.ORG. Starting with 2.x, a gps.conf and a matching SUPLROOTCERT file for SUPL server authentication is included. The 3.x trunk offers the same as v2.x but adds better sourcing for NTP data and for the xtra.bin file; it utilizes my own server to do so.
    7. Why toss out SSL?Whether or not you have a current SUPL certificate is questionable. Some have expired. Some will expire soon. Either way, the servers may provide SSL access without proper certificates depending upon configuration. That aside, I have found that SSL and secure communications over data networks slows the response times. I see no reason to use SSL for location information. If someone has a logger to obtain your location, SSL will not assist in stopping it. The bad app will continue to obtain your information by "stealing" it and you have more problems than a simple SSL-SUPL communications leak.
    8. NO-SSL Builds will not have a SUPLROOTCERT because these builds do not use SSL. The SUPLROOTCERT is a certificate used for authentication of SSL connections. There is no need for this file for the GPS at this point.
    9. IF you have issues with v2.x or v3.x, your ROM might require more variables. Try the old worldwide v1.3 version in this instance.
    10. IF you still are facing issues, it might be that your GPS hardware is very much outdated. Try any "Alternate" build to see if this helps.
    11. CMx ROM users may not experience benefits from this patch. However, we have had good reports from CM users with one negative one. Remember to do all of the steps when flashing and the following notes are important too!
    12. Reports indicate that this patch DOES WORK with the next iteration of Android, Jelly Bean. This patch has worked from Android 2.2 (Froyo) up through Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean). Therefore, it works with all iterations on the market. I will remove support as soon as it is confirmed to NOT work with a new version of Android.
    13. Reports show that certain ROM's including some CM builds require a modification in the build.prop. You need to change "ro.ril.def.agps.mode = 2" or "ro.ril.def.agps.mode = 0" to be "ro.ril.def.agps.mode = 1" in order for aGPS to properly function. Only do this IF YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS after attempting the standard patch.
    14. Your phone "learns" about the individual GPS satellites. This is part of the aGPS design. Don't be surprised if the first time you use GPS Status that it takes 20+ seconds to "lock".
    15. I have read a lot that indicates that it is best to let your GPS run using any application for a while to "learn" aGPS information. I let GPS Status run for about 10 minutes (it has an option to disable the screen timeout, which I do) each "first time" to learn. I say each because I test a lot of tweaks and fully reset/delete GPS cached information to start retesting.
    16. Remember, this has to be reflashed when you update or change ROMs. Each ROM will have its own gps.conf, normally not suited to all devices.
    17. I use GPS Status to test my signal strength. It isn't 100% accurate, but it gives a very good sense of how the GPS is performing.
    18. If you're wondering why GPS is slow on certain apps? Or, you show up as on a street when you're 6 meters away from it? Well, those apps process GPS data differently which is out of anyone's control except the app developer. Certain apps will force your location to a street until you pass the app error threshold. Food for thought.
    19. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER GPS FIXING APPS with this patch. If you do, and you still have problems, I cannot help you. A number of these Apps will overwrite what my patch does dynamically.
    20. Variables are described starting in v3.0. Open up gps.conf in a text editor to read about what variable sections are for. It isn't in-depth, but should be enough to help you get a general understanding.
    21. Still having weak GPS reception? Take your case off. Cases have been known to affect signal, though some argue against it. Personally, I get 3 more sat's when I remove my case.
    22. There is a reported variable that can cause some GPS units not to work as well as it should with this patch. This is very odd as it's hit-and-miss and only seems to cause problems on less than 10% of handsets. This doesn't mean it screws up anything! It's possibly an older piece of GPS hardware incompatible with this variable. Have no fear, v1.2 will remove this variable for the worldwide version. This issue is more prone to occur in DHD.
    23. Tried taking the battery out for 30 seconds? Some have reported that their phone required the battery to be removed. First, power off the device. Second, remove the battery for 30 seconds. Third, put it back in and give it a try. I cannot explain this except for possible cache clearing.
    24. Some Inspire 4G and DHD devices have hardware problems. There is a known problem that the spring connectors to the GPS antenna sometimes are out of place or quit touching. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1101066 provides a video on self-repair.
    25. An error in flashing this patch means that this method will not work for you. Use one of the other methods for flashing this patch. Don't ask why or for a fix. There are hundreds of variations of recovery systems and update binaries. I do not have the time or desire to support them all. This is why I describe other install methods. Reference error: E:Error in /sdcard/android apps/agps.patch.google.build.nossl.v3.1.zip (Status 0) Installation aborted.
    26. Location is way off? Like, not near you at all? This means your GPS is not actually being used. Try the following to resolve it: Goto Settings -> Locations and disable ALL options. Reboot into recovery. Clear Cache and Dalvik Cache. Reboot normally. Go back to Settings -> Locations and only enable GPS. Reboot once more and try your GPS again. If this didn't work, did you read all of the Notes such as the one about the battery or RIL?
    27. Donations: If you wonder why I asked for donations, it's simple. Users of v3.x are gaining extra, noticeable benefit over v2.x. This comes at a cost to someone. I pay the bills to provide a reliable data setup to transmit the xtra.bin data file and to provide the top NTP SERVERS in one DNS pool. To help keep this going, I just ask for the user to consider a donation. Nothing more, nothing less. Thank you for your consideration.

AGPS Patch Officially Supported Devices:
    Acer Iconia
    Asus Transformer Prime
    Asus Transformer (TF101)
    Asus Transformer TF300T
    HTC Inspire 4G
    HTC Desire HD
    HTC Sensation
    HTC Incredible S
    HTC Salsa
    HTC Flyer
    HTC Evo 3D
    HTC Desire S
    HTC Wildfire
    HTC Wildfire S
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    HTC Thunderbolt
    HTC Desire
    HTC Desire Z
    HTC One X
    LG GT-540 OPTIMUS
    LG Optimus One
    Motorola Triumph
    Motorola Droid X2
    Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket (SGH-I727)
    Samsung Galaxy S II (I9100)
    Samsung Galaxy S II (SGH-T989)
    Samsung Galaxy S Plus I9000
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Samssung Galaxy S III (AT&T, Rogers, Bell, Telus)
    Samsung Galaxy S III I9300, I9305
    Samsung Galaxy S 4G
    Sony Ericcson XPERIA X8

* I do not officially support all devices that this patch is known to work on at this time. You may private message me your success story for official support considerations.

Thanks Section
    While this has gone a long distance since its inception, I want to still send thanks to Angeldeath for permitting me to take his early work and start tweaking it for HTC Inspire 4G users. This inevitably led to what we have here today.
    Thank you to all those who joined and participate in the testing community. Without their help, I couldn't get enough data to know how well this works on different devices and in various regions of this planet we call Earth.
    Thank you eagleeyetom, husky69, and tamagotono for their work in building an ADB pushing environment for Windows and for Linux respectively.

If you are happy with the patch and find this thread useful, please consider pressing the "Thanks" button on any of my posts on this thread. You may also consider rating this thread with five stars if you're satisfied. You may do so just below "Search This Thread" on the right-side at the top of this post. Donations are appreciated (See last NOTE)

NEW VERSION(S) OUT!

v2.2 is updated. There were bad ZIP links for which I apologize for. Further, I added some new BUILDS. These builds can work on all phones no matter what your manufacturer is. However, some manufacturers provide SUPL data for their hardware. I'm helping you take advantage of multiple SUPL SERVER providers.

v3.0 is here! What does this mean for you?
    I provide you with my very own xtra.bin file. This has led to some beta-testers having INSTANT locks. I can't promise that, but it works wonderfully for all testers except one person in China.

Guess what! It costs me money to provide this. Donations would be welcome to cover hosting fees should this work for you.

What's next for the 3.x trunk?
    You should see v3.1 in a matters of weeks depending on reported success of v3.0. I intend to create my own NTP servers and NTP pools. This may cost a few dollars a month, but should be worth it for all of us.
    Other flashing recoveries may be supported. Right now, I'm only providing for Clockwork Recovery. But, there are two other easy installation methods available aside from CWR in Method #3.

I've added more notes. Read them if you have issues before posting.

I've added more information to Method 2 installations.

Finally, click thanks on this POST if you truly enjoy and appreciate the work! ;)
    it can be flash to hc rom?

It will work with any ROM assuming that ROM has not hard-coded aGPS being disabled, which is typically done accidentally in beta builds of ROMs.

It won't break anything. All it can do is make it better.
    Just thought I'd post an update. The Notes section has been revamped, added, and the Notes / Still Having Problems sections have been consolidated.

I considered adding checksums to the thread. But, I really don't see the need. If people prefer not to trust this, heck with 'em. They can pay $300 for a good standalone GPS unit.

3.1 is still on track.
    Version 3.1 is released. If you didn't think it could get any faster, well you may be surprised. Beta-testers are swearing to instant locks. My magic tricks sure do pay off!

Pay off? Speaking of that... There have been 30,000 downloads of v3.0. My server has served over 100,000 xtra.bin downloads. And even though I stated that this costs me money to provide, there's been zero donations since v3.0 was released. A few bucks really can help defray the hosting and provisioning costs I incur to keep y'all running top notch. If each user gave $0.10, that would be worth a whole dediated server for a year. Just sayin'.

Devs: I request that you notate your threads with which version of my patch you're using. If you include v3.x, please note the cost to your user base. Send me a message if you're using the patch so I can keep track and keep you in the loop of any impending changes.

With that, let me know how well this performs for you. I'm interested whether users see an increase in performance over the amazing speed that v3.0 provided.