SentinelROM - 02/10/2013

Search This thread

Sentinel196

Mar 24, 2010
sentinelrom.png

Welcome to SentinelROM for Samsung Galaxy SII (International Version -i9100 ONLY). Compiled from modded CM10.2 source using the Linaro toolchain for extreme performance. Android 4.3
This is one of the most popular ROMs for Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Nexus 4 and HTC One X, SGS3, SGNII and today I'm happy to release it for the SGSII community.

Read what people have to say about SentinelROM.

phonehome.png

This ROM is compiled from CyanogenMod 10.2 with all the features you get in a CM10.2 ROM, plus the following features.
  • Compiled with Linaro 4.8 toolchain for extreme performance
  • Increased volume (not quiet like most CM based ROMs)
  • Zip Aligned
  • Compiled from latest CyanogenMod 10.2 source by me, not a 'cooked ROM'.
  • LMT Pie Controls
  • OTA Updates supported
  • Improved Web Browsing performance
  • Improved 3D gaming performance
  • Amazing battery life
  • Additional theming and UI customisation
  • FAST support via this page and our Facebook Page
  • A free copy of my music player app

details.png

This ROM has been built to enhance the CyanogenMod 10.2 experience, with faster gaming and web browsing performance (no choppyness in Chrome too!) and best of all, extreme battery life.

It's designed to be an excellent starting place for people who want to add their own MODs and tweaks, rather than forcing people to use the included ones. Think of it like buying a quality new car, optimized to do everything it does well, and giving you the freedom to modify the hell out of it if you want to. :)

Countless hours have been spent making tweaks to settings to squeeze the most performance I can find out of this ROM while still providing excellent battery life and without the dangers of overclocking and kernel level tweaking.

I compile this ROM and Kernel from the latest CyanogenMod source code, add my various tweaks and adjustments, then test for stability, so you get all the benefits of CyanogenMod 10.2, plus my tweaks and extras, all without the instability and inconvenience of flashing CyanogenMod nightlies (which are not designed specifically for the SGS2 like my ROM is).

The kernel source is available from the CyanogenMod's GitHub.

screenshots.png

lockscreensgs3.png

sgs2batt1.jpg

sgs2batt2.jpg

bugs.png

None that I am aware of. please report any bugs ASAP.

installation.png

If installing for the first time:

To install this ROM you will need to have an unlocked bootloader and a custom Recovery such as TWRP or ClockWorkMod installed (personally I recommend TWRP, I have had issues with restoring backups using CWM).

1. Copy the downloaded SentinelROM zip to your Internal Storage.
  2. Boot into your custom recovery
  3. Back up your stock ROM
  4. Enter custom recovery
  5. Factory Reset and wipe Cache and Dalvik Cache
  6. Wipe your system partition
  7. It's preferable to wipe your data partition if coming from a non CM10.1 based ROM
  8. Install the ROM
  9. Install GAPPS
  10. Reboot, the first boot can take up to 5 minutes.

Important: After installation you will be asked if you want to turn on CyanogenMod Statistics, please leave it off as this is an unofficial/modified build.

Note: Use of titanium backup to restore apps and data from another ROM is not recommended, and is the source of 90% of user issues, especially when it comes to battery life. Do so at your own risk.

titaniumbackup.jpg

You may flash other kernels as you wish via recovery. Remember to also flash the correct libraries for any 3rd party kernels. Instructions will be given by the Kernel author. NOTE: Updating the ROM via OTA will also overwrite any custom Kernels you have installed.

mods.png

The following mods are developed by 3rd parties and have been tested by SentinelROM Users.

I can not offer support for these mods, or comment on their affect on performance or battery life. Use at your own risk.

Enable On Screen Nav Soft Keys - by NemesisRE

MegaBassBeats! - by DeHuMaNiZeD

exFAT SD Card support - by HMkX2

Clock and status bar mods - Use these for transparent status bar and centre clock, etc - Thanks to "peetu20"

credits.png

• Thanks very much to all those who have answered my questions through the process of creating my own ROM, you know who you are.
  • CyanogenMod for their outstanding work. Full credit to them for the bulk of this ROM.
  • OTA-UpdateCenter.pro for their OTA database support and OTA Updater app source.
  • Special thanks to Beejay667, MarkyG82 and schalkerjung1984 for assistance with Beta testing the ROM.

downloads.png

If you require exFAT SD card support, see the mod posted above.

02/10/13:
SentinelROM v5.00 - Compiled with Linaro v4.8 from modified CM10.2 source.

Choose from an increasing range of Premium Themes for SentinelROM here.

Remember to check my FAQ's for the answer to any questions before you ask here in the thread. Chances are it's already been answered...

Please don't forget to hit the Thanks button too :)

GAPPS
http://goo.im/gapps >Check the lastest package available on top
MD5Sum: check the md5 of the files before flashing it

faqs.png

Please visit my FAQ's page before asking questions in the thread. Chances are the answer is already there! I'm always happy to help out with any other questions.

I hope you enjoy my ROM. If you do, plase consider a donation to the CyanogenMod team. If you really like my build, please consider a donation to me as well. For the months of June and July, all donations are going to my friend who was diagnosed with brain cancer. See his story on my dontations page.

XDA:DevDB Information
SentinelROM - 02/10/2013, a ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S II

Contributors
Sentinel196
ROM OS Version: 4.3.x Jellybean
Based On: CM10.2

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 5.00
Stable Release Date: 2013-10-02

Created 2013-06-27
Last Updated 2013-10-02

Attachments

• lockscreensgs3.jpg
    lockscreensgs3.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 8,506
  • phonehome.jpg
    phonehome.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 9,120
  • sgs2batt1.jpg
    sgs2batt1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 8,697
  • sgs2batt2.jpg
    sgs2batt2.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 6,501
Last edited:

Sentinel196

Mar 24, 2010
changelog.png

New development, announcements and pipeline work will be posted on our Facebook page, so be sure to 'like' us if you like SentinelROM :)

02/10/2013:-
v5.00 -
*ROM completely rebuilt from scratch
*Compiled with new version of Linaro toolchain (4.8) for a additional performance boost
*Updated to latest CM10.2 source (Android 4.3)
*Improvements to Camera
*Other minor tweaks and fixes
*Adds all the latest CM features.

[NOTE: You must wipe your System and Dalvik caches after upgrading. GAPPS Must be re-installed after updating. Please view the instructions here.

Also check out the new Premium SentinelROM Theme on the Play Store

02/07/2013:-
v4.80 -
*Compiled with new version of Linaro toolchain (4.8) for a additional performance boost.
*Updated to latest Mali graphics drivers for improved performance and stability.
*Updated to latest CM10.1 source (Android 4.2.2)
*Improvements to Camera
*New boot animation

[NOTE: You must wipe your System and Dalvik caches after upgrading. GAPPS Must be re-installed after updating. Please view the instructions here.

11/06/2013:-
v4.75 -
*Compiled with new Linaro 4.8 toolchain for additional performance boost.
*Updated to latest Mali graphics drivers for improved performance and stability.
*Fixes to Camera
*Phone call and receive fixed

25/05/2013:-
v4.60 -
*Compiled with Linaro toolchain for a huge performance boost.
*Fixes to Camera
*Fixes to Apollo
*Fixes to Clock

18/05/2013:-
v4.50 -
*Kernel and ROM tweaks for improved performance
*Improved Camera
*Updated Launcher
*Increased notifications volume

[NOTE: A clean installation is required for this update. please view the instructions here.

07/05/2013:-
*Initial Release

Last edited:

Sentinel196

Mar 24, 2010
How did you achieve extreme battery??? I'm curious. :)

It's a combination of many things.

*All the applications are optimized and tested. I don't include anything that causes wakelocks.
*Carefully selected tweaks and mods.
*Theres a few tweaks to Wi-Fi settings, etc to minimise battery usage.
*Optimised kernel.
*Compiled from source rather than cooked, so all the code is pure.

I'm looking forward to some feedback. HTC One X users are getting up to 4 days battery life with it, and similar on SGS3.

mr_zuff

Jul 26, 2012
Cassino
Hey mate! I'm glad new devs are working for our "old" device! Welcome in SgsII world! :D

I'm downloading the rom right now. Give me a couple of ours and I'll give you my first impressions! :)

mr_zuff

Jul 26, 2012
Cassino
Looking forward to it! As always, make sure you do a Nandroid backup before installing. And also do a full system wipe too.

Yes mate,don't worry: I don't like dirty flashes. The full wipe is my way! :D

PS. At the moment I'm on latest cm10.1 nightly(stock kernel). I think I'll write 2-3 lines about differences if helps ;)

Sentinel196

Mar 24, 2010
Yes mate,don't worry: I don't like dirty flashes. The full wipe is my way! :D

PS. At the moment I'm on latest cm10.1 nightly(stock kernel). I think I'll write 2-3 lines about differences if helps ;)

Sounds good mate! For the most part, the available settings and options are the same as CM10.1 nightlies, with the exception of a few things like enhanced pie controls. The main difference is the performance, stability and battery life.

The ROM is designed to be an excellent starting place for people who want to add their own MODs and tweaks, rather than forcing people to use the included ones. Think of it like buying a quality new car, optimised to do everything ti does well, and giving you the freedom to modify the hell out of it if you want to.

Aegnor

Feb 12, 2013
WOW!

I've just flash this rom now and seems to be greatfull! Very smooth and zero bug for now :).

mr_zuff

Jul 26, 2012
Cassino
I'd love to stick around and see some feedback, but its midnight and I have massive day at work tomorrow, so I'll check in in the morning and see how it's all going.

Have fun guys!

Last post before you sleep! :)

The rom is good, fast, and has no problems(at least for my usage). It's very similar to cm10.1 in speed and visuals.

Nothing to blame, it's stable and i'm ready to try it for a couple of days!

I set the cpu like this: Ondemand - Noop. 200-1200mhz. Screen off profile with 200-500mhz. Tomorrow's evening we'll talk about battery life ;)

Good night! :)

Sentinel196

Mar 24, 2010
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*LIKE*zzzzzzzzzzzz

BTW: I'm very keen for your feedback on LCD density. I left it at stock CM10.1 which is 240DPI for the initial release, but I'm open to suggestions! Once we have some more SGSII fans on Facebook I'll put up a poll so I don't pollute this thread :)

Last edited:
Reactions: grzesiek1945

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    sentinelrom.png

Welcome to SentinelROM for Samsung Galaxy SII (International Version -i9100 ONLY). Compiled from modded CM10.2 source using the Linaro toolchain for extreme performance. Android 4.3
    This is one of the most popular ROMs for Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Nexus 4 and HTC One X, SGS3, SGNII and today I'm happy to release it for the SGSII community.

Read what people have to say about SentinelROM.

phonehome.png

This ROM is compiled from CyanogenMod 10.2 with all the features you get in a CM10.2 ROM, plus the following features.
    • Compiled with Linaro 4.8 toolchain for extreme performance
    • Increased volume (not quiet like most CM based ROMs)
    • Zip Aligned
    • Compiled from latest CyanogenMod 10.2 source by me, not a 'cooked ROM'.
    • LMT Pie Controls
    • OTA Updates supported
    • Improved Web Browsing performance
    • Improved 3D gaming performance
    • Amazing battery life
    • Additional theming and UI customisation
    • FAST support via this page and our Facebook Page
    • A free copy of my music player app

details.png

This ROM has been built to enhance the CyanogenMod 10.2 experience, with faster gaming and web browsing performance (no choppyness in Chrome too!) and best of all, extreme battery life.

It's designed to be an excellent starting place for people who want to add their own MODs and tweaks, rather than forcing people to use the included ones. Think of it like buying a quality new car, optimized to do everything it does well, and giving you the freedom to modify the hell out of it if you want to. :)

Countless hours have been spent making tweaks to settings to squeeze the most performance I can find out of this ROM while still providing excellent battery life and without the dangers of overclocking and kernel level tweaking.

I compile this ROM and Kernel from the latest CyanogenMod source code, add my various tweaks and adjustments, then test for stability, so you get all the benefits of CyanogenMod 10.2, plus my tweaks and extras, all without the instability and inconvenience of flashing CyanogenMod nightlies (which are not designed specifically for the SGS2 like my ROM is).

The kernel source is available from the CyanogenMod's GitHub.

screenshots.png

lockscreensgs3.png

sgs2batt1.jpg

sgs2batt2.jpg

bugs.png

None that I am aware of. please report any bugs ASAP.

installation.png

If installing for the first time:

To install this ROM you will need to have an unlocked bootloader and a custom Recovery such as TWRP or ClockWorkMod installed (personally I recommend TWRP, I have had issues with restoring backups using CWM).

1. Copy the downloaded SentinelROM zip to your Internal Storage.
    2. Boot into your custom recovery
    3. Back up your stock ROM
    4. Enter custom recovery
    5. Factory Reset and wipe Cache and Dalvik Cache
    6. Wipe your system partition
    7. It's preferable to wipe your data partition if coming from a non CM10.1 based ROM
    8. Install the ROM
    9. Install GAPPS
    10. Reboot, the first boot can take up to 5 minutes.

Important: After installation you will be asked if you want to turn on CyanogenMod Statistics, please leave it off as this is an unofficial/modified build.

Note: Use of titanium backup to restore apps and data from another ROM is not recommended, and is the source of 90% of user issues, especially when it comes to battery life. Do so at your own risk.

titaniumbackup.jpg

You may flash other kernels as you wish via recovery. Remember to also flash the correct libraries for any 3rd party kernels. Instructions will be given by the Kernel author. NOTE: Updating the ROM via OTA will also overwrite any custom Kernels you have installed.

mods.png

The following mods are developed by 3rd parties and have been tested by SentinelROM Users.

I can not offer support for these mods, or comment on their affect on performance or battery life. Use at your own risk.

Enable On Screen Nav Soft Keys - by NemesisRE

MegaBassBeats! - by DeHuMaNiZeD

exFAT SD Card support - by HMkX2

Clock and status bar mods - Use these for transparent status bar and centre clock, etc - Thanks to "peetu20"

credits.png

• Thanks very much to all those who have answered my questions through the process of creating my own ROM, you know who you are.
    • CyanogenMod for their outstanding work. Full credit to them for the bulk of this ROM.
    • OTA-UpdateCenter.pro for their OTA database support and OTA Updater app source.
    • Special thanks to Beejay667, MarkyG82 and schalkerjung1984 for assistance with Beta testing the ROM.

downloads.png

If you require exFAT SD card support, see the mod posted above.

02/10/13:
    SentinelROM v5.00 - Compiled with Linaro v4.8 from modified CM10.2 source.

Choose from an increasing range of Premium Themes for SentinelROM here.

Remember to check my FAQ's for the answer to any questions before you ask here in the thread. Chances are it's already been answered...

Please don't forget to hit the Thanks button too :)

GAPPS
    http://goo.im/gapps >Check the lastest package available on top
    MD5Sum: check the md5 of the files before flashing it

faqs.png

Please visit my FAQ's page before asking questions in the thread. Chances are the answer is already there! I'm always happy to help out with any other questions.

I hope you enjoy my ROM. If you do, plase consider a donation to the CyanogenMod team. If you really like my build, please consider a donation to me as well. For the months of June and July, all donations are going to my friend who was diagnosed with brain cancer. See his story on my dontations page.

XDA:DevDB Information
    SentinelROM - 02/10/2013, a ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S II

Contributors
    Sentinel196
    ROM OS Version: 4.3.x Jellybean
    Based On: CM10.2

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 5.00
    Stable Release Date: 2013-10-02

Created 2013-06-27
    Last Updated 2013-10-02
    Not a bug.
    The black theme is only for message popup.......

Next....
    :D :D :D

SentinelROM for SGS2 has now overtaken SGS3 as the most popular device with over 80,000 downloads for this device alone!
    changelog.png

New development, announcements and pipeline work will be posted on our Facebook page, so be sure to 'like' us if you like SentinelROM :)

02/10/2013:-
    v5.00 -
    *ROM completely rebuilt from scratch
    *Compiled with new version of Linaro toolchain (4.8) for a additional performance boost
    *Updated to latest CM10.2 source (Android 4.3)
    *Improvements to Camera

Also check out the new Premium SentinelROM Theme on the Play Store

02/07/2013:-
    v4.80 -
    *Compiled with new version of Linaro toolchain (4.8) for a additional performance boost.
    *Improvements to Camera
    *New boot animation

11/06/2013:-
    v4.75 -
    *Compiled with new Linaro 4.8 toolchain for additional performance boost.
    *Fixes to Camera
    *Phone call and receive fixed

v4.60 -
    *Fixes to Camera
    *Fixes to Apollo
    *Fixes to Clock

v4.50 -
    *Improved Camera
    *Updated Launcher

[NOTE: A clean installation is required for this update. please view the instructions here.

07/05/2013:-
    *Initial Release
    v4.60 is here!

v4.60 -
    *Fixes to Camera
    *Fixes to Apollo
    *Fixes to Clock

BAM!!! new version with Linaro toolchain is here!!!

v4.50 -
    *Improved Camera
    *Updated Launcher