Cast a live YouTube stream from a PC but not an android phone?

Search This thread

kafarnsworth

Jan 4, 2007
Today I was trying to watch a live YouTube stream from my phone. I got the message that live streams were not permitted on my Chromecast.

I then tried casting the same stream from my desktop. It worked. To verify that I wasn't just casting a chrome tab, I closed all of the chrome windows. The stream kept working.

I also tried casting the stream from chrome beta for android. I didn't get an error, but the casting didn't work. I just got a black screen on the phone and a YouTube screen on the TV.

Is there a way around this restriction? Can I cast a live feed from my android phone to my Chromecast?

Thanks,

Ken F

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
Today I was trying to watch a live YouTube stream from my phone. I got the message that live streams were not permitted on my Chromecast.

I then tried casting the same stream from my desktop. It worked. To verify that I wasn't just casting a chrome tab, I closed all of the chrome windows. The stream kept working.

I also tried casting the stream from chrome beta for android. I didn't get an error, but the casting didn't work. I just got a black screen on the phone and a YouTube screen on the TV.

Is there a way around this restriction? Can I cast a live feed from my android phone to my Chromecast?
Being that live streams aren't supposed to work, either you got lucky, or they're working on it.
Not much you can do but wait to see if YouTube updates its info and/or capabilities.

Reactions: kafarnsworth

primetime34

Jul 18, 2011
Live streams work for me from my laptop but not from my phone as well. I don't think it's a mistake, I just don't think the mobile app has added that feature yet.

Reactions: kafarnsworth

mikemelbrooks

Oct 4, 2013
As I understand it the chromecast doesnt render the video but connects to youtube and plays a specially renderd version for the chrome cast, I guess this is not available live. When you cast from a pc the pc renders the video for you.

bozzykid

May 1, 2011
Looks like the next Android and iOS will remove the live limitation to casting. They may be beta testing it by only offering it on the website for the moment.

Top Liked Posts