New TP2: Pocket Dial vs Lock

Search This thread

SailCO26

Dec 9, 2009
Have had my new Sprint TP2 for a couple of weeks now, really enjoying it. First "smartphone" for me, figured it's time to join the 21st century.

Biggest issue so far:
When putting the phone into a holster, it comes out of sleep mode (display comes on) - no, I'm not hitting the Power key when I do this. Something here doesnt seem right, but that's what happens...

At that point, on occasion the Dial key may get hit while in the holster (I can understand this, it's a hardware key) - which if the key kets tagged 2x while out of sleep-mode does a pocket dial to the last number called/received.
:rolleyes:

My original fix to this was to enable the password lock. While a PITA to unlock the phone every time, I'd rather do that than pocket dial. HOWEVER, when running an output only app (such as Google Maps or Navigation) the phone keeps going into lock mode and asking for the password - NOT a good situation while driving down the road...

So my question(s) are:
1. Is there a way to keep the phone from exiting sleep mode while entering a holster?
2. Is there a way to keep the phone from locking up and requesting a password during apps such as Navigation?
(I found this thread while searching, but still un-answered... [Thread 614599; vBulletin wont let me post the URL...)

Thanks in advance for any help!
Jim

This is a completely stock phone, no mods (so far...) other than a couple of applications added (Google Mobile apps, WSOP Poker).

slight22

Aug 24, 2009
The first question I have for you. Is the case/holder specific to HTC TP2 or is it generic and originally designed for a blackberry?

I ask this because no matter what blackberry case i've ever tried, they always bring my phone out of sleep mode. The reason is the magnet in the case that is designed to put the BB INTO sleep mode.

SailCO26

Dec 9, 2009
The case is specific for the Sprint TP2, from ThinkTouchPro2.com. It's the [HTC Touch Pro 2 Naztech Kaskade Vertical Pouch Case - Black], since I still cant post a url... well, I guess I can fake one:
thinktouchpro2.com/htc-touch-pro-2-cases-7462.html

It's definitely the magnet that's doing the trick. The phone comes out of sleep mode just as it starts to go into the case, so it's not a function of hitting any buttons.

Somehow I got into the habit of hitting the power button to put it to sleep before going into the holster, SOOOO thinking maybe it's a 2-way deal I tried leaving the phone awake and putting into the holster - no dice, still awake.

Test 2 was to put the phone into the holster, and then force to sleep. Removing it wakes the phone up, that I'm cool with. But I'm still left with the issue of pocket dialing whenever I use the holster...

Maybe the best solution would be to go to a non-magnetic holster?

Jim

fone_fanatic

Aug 4, 2005
Central Texas
that would be it.

The device uses a magnetic switch to tell it when you slide the keyboard out. So by pulling the device in/out of the case the magnet is triggering the switch leading the device to think you've slid out the keyboard and it should wake up.

I think Advanced config has an option to disable the device from waking up when the keyboard is slid open.

j0shtalgia

Mar 22, 2009
Actually I believe it's the magnet on the stylus, it doesn't have anything to do with the sliding function.

b1ck132

Dec 18, 2008
istanbul
There was a solution for this somewhere around the forums.

If I'm not mistaken, removing the "wake up when keyboard is out" setting, solved the problem with cases that have a magnet.

fone_fanatic

Aug 4, 2005
Central Texas
Actually I believe it's the magnet on the stylus, it doesn't have anything to do with the sliding function.

my laptop uses a magnet to secure the screen when i close it and if i slide my tilt2 across where the magnet is with the stylus in or out, the device wakes up and goes into landscape for a second then switches back to portrait.

dont think the stylus magnet would cause it because the stylus is still in the device and the magnet is securing it in. I think it has another sensor in the stylus slot and just uses the magnet to suck it in because on older devices (wizard) the stylus would go loose, but then again those devices didn't wake when the stylus was removed.

Last edited:

j0shtalgia

Mar 22, 2009
my laptop uses a magnet to secure the screen when i close it and if i slide my tilt2 across where the magnet is with the stylus in or out, the device wakes up and goes into landscape for a second then switches back to portrait.

dont think the stylus magnet would cause it because the stylus is still in the device and the magnet is securing it in. I think it has another sensor in the stylus slot and just uses the magnet to suck it in because on older devices (wizard) the stylus would go loose, but then again those devices didn't wake when the stylus was removed.

Ah, I see. Interesting!

SailCO26

Dec 9, 2009
... if i slide my tilt2 across where the magnet is with the stylus in or out, the device wakes up and goes into landscape for a second then switches back to portrait.

BINGO, think we're onto it as I've seen this behavior as well.

I've poked around looking for this, but the closest I've found is the "Keyboard Sliding Sound", but there's not an option to kill the wake-up function. Can someone point me in the direction of the "Advanced Config"?

Jim

aj48198

Dec 7, 2008
Memphis
So why not use pocket sheild? It has a 15 sec timer on it, so if you put it in your holster and it "wakes up", after 15 seconds it will turn the phone off again if there isn't any action done on it. Use it to only turn on with the light sensor when you pull it out of you pocket or a finger swipe from top to bottom. Also, you can tell it what apps that it cannot go into sleep mode on.

SailCO26

Dec 9, 2009
So why not use pocket sheild?

That's actually on my list of apps to take a look at, but for a different reason. I'd still like it to not come on at all, as the pocket dial I made was well w/in the 15s timeout for PS.

Ok, so the search originally didnt work for me because I didnt realize it was the magnet causing the wake-up. Knowing that now, I found the registry change I need to make in another thread.

Now for the total noob quesion:
How do I get into the registry to edit it?

I gather Total Commander is the popular tool of choice, and now have that installed. But my searches keep coming up with various tweaks to MAKE in the registry, but not how to GET TO it. I was unable to find this in the TC docs, either...

Thanks for the patient assistance to a WM noob.
(tho I'm a .Net programmer, so not a complete ijit - unless you want to hold being a .Net programmer against me, which I really couldnt blame you for - but it beats the heck outta COBOL...)
Jim

aj48198

Dec 7, 2008
Memphis
PHM Registry Editor. I would have posted a link but I don't have enough posts to do so!! Just google it and it should come up I got mine off of freewareppc com

aj48198

Dec 7, 2008
Memphis
Pocket Sheild will not let anything happen what so ever. Unless you physically make it happen, it will do nothing but sit there at the unlock screen waiting for input. If nothing happens, the screen will go back into sleep mode. Check the website out, that should help you make your decision easier. You can change the timer to be 10 seconds as well but I think that is about as close as you can get beside turning the phone off!!

fwp

Feb 8, 2007
Have had my new Sprint TP2 for a couple of weeks now, really enjoying it. First "smartphone" for me, figured it's time to join the 21st century.

Biggest issue so far:
When putting the phone into a holster, it comes out of sleep mode (display comes on) - no, I'm not hitting the Power key when I do this. Something here doesnt seem right, but that's what happens...

At that point, on occasion the Dial key may get hit while in the holster (I can understand this, it's a hardware key) - which if the key kets tagged 2x while out of sleep-mode does a pocket dial to the last number called/received.
:rolleyes:

My original fix to this was to enable the password lock. While a PITA to unlock the phone every time, I'd rather do that than pocket dial. HOWEVER, when running an output only app (such as Google Maps or Navigation) the phone keeps going into lock mode and asking for the password - NOT a good situation while driving down the road...

So my question(s) are:
1. Is there a way to keep the phone from exiting sleep mode while entering a holster?
2. Is there a way to keep the phone from locking up and requesting a password during apps such as Navigation?
(I found this thread while searching, but still un-answered... [Thread 614599; vBulletin wont let me post the URL...)

Thanks in advance for any help!
Jim

This is a completely stock phone, no mods (so far...) other than a couple of applications added (Google Mobile apps, WSOP Poker).

I think this is what you need:

1) this is a magnet holster issue -- FIX: from wmexpert touch-pro-2-tip-fix-cases-magnets-issue-registry-fix *attached Cab

2) To stop certain apps from locking automatically I use S2U2 *zip attached (Slide to Unlock) there is a list of applications that you can set not to lock when active. I use this for GPS navigation for example. showthread.php?t=527523

You can set a password with this or not as you wish. You'll like it.
Keep in mind that the one sideeffect of the magnet fix is that the phone will not automatically unlock on opening the keyboard. You have to hit the power button. Personally I don't have any problem with this.

Attachments

• S2U2-2.24-VGA.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 7

fone_fanatic

Aug 4, 2005
Central Texas
Pocket Sheild will not let anything happen what so ever. Unless you physically make it happen, it will do nothing but sit there at the unlock screen waiting for input. If nothing happens, the screen will go back into sleep mode. Check the website out, that should help you make your decision easier. You can change the timer to be 10 seconds as well but I think that is about as close as you can get beside turning the phone off!!

well he is making it physically happen, but unintentionally. The magnet in the holster is waking the device up by making it think the keyboard has slid open, then the call button is being pressed against the case causing the device to place a call.

as i stated earlier, its best to disable wake-up when keyboard is slid out which is provided in a cab in the post right before this one.

SailCO26

Dec 9, 2009
Thanks aj and fwp, I think I've got it now.

Backed into a copy of the PHM RegEdit, and the slide fix worked great! No worries about the kb not waking the phone up, never used that function anyway.

Re the S2U2 app and preventing lock during some apps, does PocketShield also do this - or would I need to run both to keep GPS apps alive?

Thanks again!
Jim

aj48198

Dec 7, 2008
Memphis
well he is making it physically happen, but unintentionally. The magnet in the holster is waking the device up by making it think the keyboard has slid open, then the call button is being pressed against the case causing the device to place a call.

as i stated earlier, its best to disable wake-up when keyboard is slid out which is provided in a cab in the post right before this one.

I get that, and if the cab fixes the issue, thats great. What I was saying was that pocket sheild will not unlock at all, be it the keyboard slid open or the stylus came out, unless you program it to do so. I just tried to make it unlock by sliding the keyboard open and the only thing it did was go into landscape, still locked tho.

fone_fanatic

Aug 4, 2005
Central Texas
I get that, and if the cab fixes the issue, thats great. What I was saying was that pocket sheild will not unlock at all, be it the keyboard slid open or the stylus came out, unless you program it to do so. I just tried to make it unlock by sliding the keyboard open and the only thing it did was go into landscape, still locked tho.

ahh ok, not familiar with that app and thought you were saying that it would wait for an input (i.e. buttons pressed) for a set time, and if nothing happened then it would lock the device after a set time period.

aj48198

Dec 7, 2008
Memphis
Thanks aj and fwp, I think I've got it now.

Backed into a copy of the PHM RegEdit, and the slide fix worked great! No worries about the kb not waking the phone up, never used that function anyway.

Re the S2U2 app and preventing lock during some apps, does PocketShield also do this - or would I need to run both to keep GPS apps alive?

Thanks again!
Jim

PS does do that (preventing lock during some apps) You just have to tell it when you are in the settings.

SailCO26

Dec 9, 2009
Thanks for all the great info! Have the phone "safe" now, but will be looking into PocketShield as the next app.

Jim