[MOD] Get the Android Emoji Font from JB on ICS

Search This thread

iridaki

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
:victory: :confused: :silly: :laugh: :mad: :highfive: :good: :fingers-crossed: :p :cyclops: ;) :crying: :D :cowboy: :eek: :angel: :) :( :rolleyes: :cool: :eek:

Admit it, you secretly like emoji icons that iOS users seem to (ab)use in their messages.
OK maybe you don't, but you do hate the "blocks" or blank spaces appearing in their place on Twitter, Instagram, Foursquare, Email, SMS, etc.

Google knows. And has worked out a way to implement their own version in Android, starting from Jelly Bean 4.1.

Now, ICS users seem to be out of luck and that made me think and finally figure out a way to implement them in ICS.

Here is a little sneak-peek on how they look:

emoji.png

Note that they are black and white. This is because they are font symbols and not drawables (as they are in iPhones).

HOW?

First of all, Android uses a set of so-called "fallback fonts" for displaying characters that are not included in the primary fonts (DroidSans, Roboto, etc).
In the older days, to get emoji support, we used a modified DroidSansFallback ttf file, placed in /system/fonts. Well, if I wanted to merge AndroidEmoji font and DroidSansFallback, I'd probably lose a great part of my patience sanity and eye-vision... (there are 471 emoji icons)

So, I modified the fallback_fonts.xml in /system/etc/ and added the AndroidEmoji.ttf, as well as changing the priority with which the fallback fonts are called.

And TADA, I could view Google B/W emojis everywhere!

emoji_e21b.png
HOW DO I INSTALL IT?

I made a flashable zip that will work on all the Xperia 2011 models, on stock and stock-based ICS ROMs and probably to all Sony models that run ICS also (do not have access to those devices to check and be 100%).

DOWNLOAD ANDROID JB EMOJI FONT ENABLER

Flash with CMW.
(If you are rooted and on stock kernel, check how to get CMW here)
Preferably make a backup prior to installing.
I am not responsible for your device, YOU are!
Nandroid backups take 5-10 minutes to complete and can save lives.
Enjoy!

emoji_e21b.png
WHAT IF YOU DON'T HAVE AN XPERIA DEVICE OR RUN A CUSTOM ROM?

The tinkering needed for it to work on all devices is minimal.
Depending on the company, there may be different fallback fonts included.
For those you feel confident enough to edit system files, all you have to do is
add this line in the fallback_fonts.xml, save it, replace it in the CMW zip and flash:

Code:
<family>
        <fileset>
            <file>AndroidEmoji.ttf</file>
        </fileset>
    </family>

Just make sure it is before all the other entries, so that the Emoji font gets called first upon an unknown character. ;)

emoji_e21b.png
HOW CAN I PUT EMOJIS IN MY MESSAGES/STATUSES/TWEETS/etc?

If you also want to be able to insert them anywhere, you have some choices:

1. A brilliant choice is Multiling Keyboard, which uses the newer encoding system.

Screenshot_2012-09-12-16-30-37.png

2. There is also Emoji Keyboard.
However, it uses and older encoding system, so you will also need to flash this package. This mod is totally independent, you can flash it whether you flash the main mod or not. They will not interfere with each other at all. Having both mods means you can view emojis of both older and newer encoding.

emoji_e21b.png
EMOJI FONT IS TOO SMALL!

Try this updated version of the AndroidEmoji.ttf by yours truly.

NOTES

- If you like this, just press Thanks.
Do not post just to say how awesome I am. I know.
- If you are having questions/problems, post here, do not PM me.
Other people might also benefit from our conversation.
- If you are a ROM cooker/developer, PLEASE, ask for my permission before including this mod in your ROMs.
And I shall elaborate on this:
What I did here is no rocket science. Yes, I am sure anybody who would set their mind on it, could pull it through eventually. And maybe someone already has. However, I do enjoy being appreciated, because I took some time off my life to create this thread rather than just parading with my cool emoji-enabled phone, unwilling to spread the joy. I do wish for all the members of this community to benefit from this small tweak, but if I see something like this:

eMooJEd Super Freakishly Superb Unbelievable Mod Update Emojis EveryWhere OMG OMG OMG LOL

without my name mentioned anywhere and a link to this thread, I am going to be hurt. And probably mad.

That's all folks!

Attachments

• EmojiFontEnablerIridaki.zip
    455.6 KB · Views: 9,713
  • EmojiFontEnablerIridakiV3bigger.zip
    376.8 KB · Views: 6,680
Last edited:

iridaki

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
OMG your so Awesome! :D ROFL,

Nice mod will it work on a different phone or is the xml different from manufacturer to manufacturer ;)

Pvy

I know, I know... :p

add this line in the fallback_fonts.xml, save it, replace it in the CMW zip and flash:

Code:
<family>
        <fileset>
        </fileset>
    </family>

Just make sure it is before all the other entries, so that the Emoji font gets called first upon an unknown character. ;)

Last edited:

Code:
<family>
        <fileset>
        </fileset>
    </family>

hahahaha about this:
To high ownDUNK :D??

Reactions: kormatoes

mishap13

Jul 13, 2012
One question. If you send SMS to someones phone without this mod. will he/she able to view emoji too?

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto
Anyway to test it? Im still confused on how it works (but by screenshot it looks nice)

And I'm lost between all those files... I flashed the one you sent to me by pm, but you say that it need to flash another file...

Sent from my LT26i with Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

desalesouche

Feb 6, 2012
will test it on huawei U8660 with B932 rom .

is this the right way ? :

-->
<family>
<fileset>
</fileset>
</family>
<familyset>
<family>
<fileset>
</fileset>
</family>
<family>

copying just once above all command in xml ? i will post if it is working...and may be ask for your autorisation or help....thx

iridaki

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
One question. If you send SMS to someones phone without this mod. will he/she able to view emoji too?

I am not sure I understand the question.
If you have a way to send emojis, you can send them and the other party may or may not view them depending on the phone the have.
This mod is for viewing emoji.

Anyway to test it? Im still confused on how it works (but by screenshot it looks nice)

And I'm lost between all those files... I flashed the one you sent to me by pm, but you say that it need to flash another file...

In order to test them, you need to, for example, receive an SMS containing emoji.

The file you need to flash is attached in the OP.
The other file is an additional mod for older encoding emojis, which will soon be obsolete as both Apple and Google are using a newer encoding for emojis.
I only included it because some people had trouble viewing the icons when using Emoji Keyboard as an input method.
It does not interfere with the original mod, they are independent to each other.

will test it on huawei U8660 with B932 rom .

is this the right way ? :

-->
<family>
<fileset>
</fileset>
</family>
<familyset>
<family>
<fileset>
</fileset>
</family>
<family>

copying just once above all command in xml ? i will post if it is working...and may be ask for your autorisation or help....thx

AndroidEmoji.ttf is referenced twice.
You should just add these lines:
Code:
    <family>
        <fileset>
        </fileset>
    </family>

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto
In order to test them, you need to, for example, receive an SMS containing emoji.

The file you need to flash is attached in the OP.
The other file is an additional mod for older encoding emojis, which will soon be obsolete as both Apple and Google are using a newer encoding for emojis.
I only included it because some people had trouble viewing the icons when using Emoji Keyboard as an input method.
It does not interfere with the original mod, they are independent to each other.

I see. Just to confirm, emoji = :) or :( it things like that? Does it have to include the nose? Just to confirm, sorry for all those questions.

iridaki

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
I see. Just to confirm, emoji = :) or :( it things like that? Does it have to include the nose? Just to confirm, sorry for all those questions.

Emojis are not emoticons.
Think of them as small icons, that's what they are to iPhone users.
Android replaces those icons with font elements, thus they are black and white.

Reactions: desalesouche

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto
(Sorry for double post, Tapatalk suck at it)

I guess it isn't working perfectly then. The Chinese or Japanese letter are meant to be the emoticons... I have to install the old decoder or what?

Silly me: forgot to add the screenshot. I won't post a third reply for it...

iridaki

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
(Sorry for double post, Tapatalk suck at it)

I guess it isn't working perfectly then. The Chinese or Japanese letter are meant to be the emoticons... I have to install the old decoder or what?

I am not sure I understand.
In what way it doesn't work perfectly?

EDIT: OK, I get it now. You thought that this mod would replace the emoticons with emojis, but this is impossible as they are two different things.
By installing this mod, you will be able to view emojis, for example, when a friend with iPhone sends you an SMS in which he includes emojis.
Before this mod, you would only see black boxes in the place of the emojis.
Is it clearer now?

Last edited:

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto
I am not sure I understand.
In what way it doesn't work perfectly?

EDIT: OK, I get it now. You thought that this mod would replace the emoticons with emojis, but this is impossible as they are two different things.
By installing this mod, you will be able to view emojis, for example, when a friend with iPhone sends you an SMS in which he includes emojis.
Before this mod, you would only see black boxes in the place of the emojis.
Is it clearer now?

Yeah lol Sorry for all the trouble. My mind isn't operating really well today...

Reactions: iridaki

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    :victory: :confused: :silly: :laugh: :mad: :highfive: :good: :fingers-crossed: :p :cyclops: ;) :crying: :D :cowboy: :eek: :angel: :) :( :rolleyes: :cool: :eek:

Admit it, you secretly like emoji icons that iOS users seem to (ab)use in their messages.
    OK maybe you don't, but you do hate the "blocks" or blank spaces appearing in their place on Twitter, Instagram, Foursquare, Email, SMS, etc.

Google knows. And has worked out a way to implement their own version in Android, starting from Jelly Bean 4.1.

Now, ICS users seem to be out of luck and that made me think and finally figure out a way to implement them in ICS.

Here is a little sneak-peek on how they look:

emoji.png

Note that they are black and white. This is because they are font symbols and not drawables (as they are in iPhones).

HOW?

First of all, Android uses a set of so-called "fallback fonts" for displaying characters that are not included in the primary fonts (DroidSans, Roboto, etc).
    In the older days, to get emoji support, we used a modified DroidSansFallback ttf file, placed in /system/fonts. Well, if I wanted to merge AndroidEmoji font and DroidSansFallback, I'd probably lose a great part of my patience sanity and eye-vision... (there are 471 emoji icons)

So, I modified the fallback_fonts.xml in /system/etc/ and added the AndroidEmoji.ttf, as well as changing the priority with which the fallback fonts are called.

And TADA, I could view Google B/W emojis everywhere!

emoji_e21b.png
    HOW DO I INSTALL IT?

I made a flashable zip that will work on all the Xperia 2011 models, on stock and stock-based ICS ROMs and probably to all Sony models that run ICS also (do not have access to those devices to check and be 100%).

DOWNLOAD ANDROID JB EMOJI FONT ENABLER

Flash with CMW.
    (If you are rooted and on stock kernel, check how to get CMW here)
    Preferably make a backup prior to installing.
    I am not responsible for your device, YOU are!
    Nandroid backups take 5-10 minutes to complete and can save lives.
    Enjoy!

emoji_e21b.png
    WHAT IF YOU DON'T HAVE AN XPERIA DEVICE OR RUN A CUSTOM ROM?

Code:
    <family>
            <fileset>
            </fileset>
        </family>

emoji_e21b.png
    HOW CAN I PUT EMOJIS IN MY MESSAGES/STATUSES/TWEETS/etc?

If you also want to be able to insert them anywhere, you have some choices:

1. A brilliant choice is Multiling Keyboard, which uses the newer encoding system.

Screenshot_2012-09-12-16-30-37.png

2. There is also Emoji Keyboard.
    However, it uses and older encoding system, so you will also need to flash this package. This mod is totally independent, you can flash it whether you flash the main mod or not. They will not interfere with each other at all. Having both mods means you can view emojis of both older and newer encoding.

emoji_e21b.png
    EMOJI FONT IS TOO SMALL!

Try this updated version of the AndroidEmoji.ttf by yours truly.

NOTES

- If you are having questions/problems, post here, do not PM me.
    Other people might also benefit from our conversation.
    - If you are a ROM cooker/developer, PLEASE, ask for my permission before including this mod in your ROMs.
    And I shall elaborate on this:
    What I did here is no rocket science. Yes, I am sure anybody who would set their mind on it, could pull it through eventually. And maybe someone already has. However, I do enjoy being appreciated, because I took some time off my life to create this thread rather than just parading with my cool emoji-enabled phone, unwilling to spread the joy. I do wish for all the members of this community to benefit from this small tweak, but if I see something like this:

eMooJEd Super Freakishly Superb Unbelievable Mod Update Emojis EveryWhere OMG OMG OMG LOL

without my name mentioned anywhere and a link to this thread, I am going to be hurt. And probably mad.

That's all folks!

Nice mod will it work on a different phone or is the xml different from manufacturer to manufacturer ;)

Pvy

Code:
    <family>
            <fileset>
            </fileset>
        </family>

Pvy
    Wow, that was fast, thank you :D
    Here's a screenshot attached of the V2Bigger, I was thinking it should be about the same size of the emoticon on the right, maybe 50% more.

Making it any bigger causes distort images and cut-offs.
    I'll look into it a bit more though! Stay tuned! ;)

UPDATE: Here, try this zip!
    Try by manually pushing the files.
    Unfortunately, I know what the issue might be since I do not own an S2 to test. :eek:

Nevermind I'm actually a major moron. Turns out I didn't actually install the zip into my sdcard. Confused it another zip that had a similar filename. Thanks anyway!