(GUIDE) Aria Superthread

Search This thread

zedbra

Sep 16, 2010
Install Drivers:

Download required files HERE
1: Plug in Aria with supplied data cable to install standard drivers
2: Install HTC Sync (we only need this to get appropriate .adb drivers)
3: Install H Boot Driver - Detailed Guide HERE
a: Power down Aria
b: Hold Volume Down button and press Power (this brings you to bootloader)
c: Wait for SD Card diagnostic (about twenty seconds)
d: Plug in Data cable - at this point Windows will say driver didnt install properly
e: Navigate to Device Manager and update driver for Android 1.0
f: Select "Browse Computer for Driver" and open "Android USB Driver" folder and click next

You now have all the Necessary drivers for your new Android!!

Rooting Your Phone

Credit goes to all the great devs at XDA Developers, including Attn1 and shad0wf0x for their great work

With all the Drivers installed you can now Root the phone!!
1: Go into Menu/Settings/Applications/Development and check the box for "USB Debugging"
2: Plug in phone and choose Charge Only, check box for "Dont ask again" and DONE
3: Download and Run unrEVOked Recovery Tool as Administrator(Windows users)
(as per unrEVOked instructions uninstall any s/w that communicates with the phone(ie: HTC Sync, Doubletwist, etc.)
---Follow any on-screen instructions
**It may take a few tries(unrEVOked hates Windows)
**if all else fails, try shad0wf0xs' Ubuntu Live CD method HERE
Congrats!! you have Rooted your phone:)

Un-Rooting(Restore to factory)

All drivers from above must be installed
1: Official ATT 2.2 Update(NOW Rootable!!! Click ME) or ATT 2.1 Update Download
2: Make sure USB Debugging is checked in Applications/Development(if fail, then uncheck debugging)
3: Run Aria Shipping ROM.exe as Administrator
---Follow on screen instructions, may take up to ten minutes

Install Custom ROM's

Once youre Rooted you can install custom ROM's from Clockwork Recovery;
1: Copy a custom ROM to the SD card
2: Power down phone
3: Hold Volume down key and press Power to enter bootloader mode
4: After diagnostics run, choose "Recovery" from the list and press power button to select it
5: In Recovery menu choose "install zip from SD card"
6: now select "Choose zip from SD card"
7: navigate to the custom ROM and install
**NOTE: Before flashing a custom ROM it is highly recommended you Wipe Data/Factory Reset in Recovery first
it is also good practice to make a Nandroid backup before flashing any custom ROM

Install Custom Font

Credit goes to churapa. Nice work Bro!! Original Guide HERE

**ROOT Is Required for this
**ALWAYS make a Nandroid Backup before attempting any Mods

-Things you will need:
-True Type Fonts(both Normal and Bold .ttf)
-ADB Tool and knowlege of use
-Required Drivers for proper communication between PC and Android

1: Copy both fonts (normal and bold) into folder named Androidfonts
2: Rename fonts to DroidSans and DroidSans-Bold
3: With the phone off Enter Recovery mode by holding Volume Down key and press Power, select Recovery from the list
4: Once in Clockwork Recovery choose "Partitions" and select "mount system"
5: Connect Phone using Data Cable and run ADB Tools in CMD (c:\Android\Tools)
6: now in CMD window enter the following command:
adb push c:\androidfonts\DroidSans.ttf /system/fonts/DroidSans.ttf ENTER
adb push c:\androidfonts\DroidSans-Bold.ttf /system/fonts/DroidSans-Bold.ttf ENTER
7: Now exit CMD, unmount phone in Partitions menu, Go Back, Reboot Phone, Disconnect USB cable

Enjoy your new font!! :)
NOTE: Respectively you can backup your current fonts by entering the following in ADB:
adb pull /system/fonts/DroidSans.ttf c:\androidfonts\backup
adb pull /system/fonts/DroidSans-Bold.ttf c:\androidfonts\backup

How to Sideload 3rd Party Apps:
(Rooting NOT required for this)

Download SDK Tool HERE
1: Un-RAR Android folder to root directory on PC (ie: C:\ )
2: Open CMD Prompt and type CD\ and hit Enter
3: Now type cd\android\tools Enter
4: Plug in Data cable and choose "Charge Only" on phone (always choose this)
5: Now in CMD prompt enter this command: adb install barcodescanner3.4.apk and press Enter

The SDK tool should install the Barcode Scanner app on the phone. Yay!! Success!!

**You can use this method to install .apk downloads onto the phone. For this demo i had already inserted
the Barcode Scanner app into SDK tools folder. the actual command should read as follows:

adb install c:\path to .apk file (ie: adb install c:\apps\filename.apk)
**I chose this app because you can use it to install other apps by scanning the barcode
found on many HTC App sites.

How to apply ringtones over 300kb limit:

Short story first:)
I wanted a nice free app to manage files, so i installed Astro File Manager using Barcode app from above.
While moving some files around i discovered the option to set mp3's to ringtone... and it worked!!
This is good because i was not happy to see there was a 300kb limit to ringtones. There may be another
or better way, but this is how i did it

1: Go to Astro app website HERE
2: Scan the Barcode with Barcode scanner app to install Astro Direct link HERE
3: Open Astro, navigate to SD Card\Mobile\Music
4: find the music file you want set to ringtone, Hold on it until menu pops up
5: Select "Music Options", select "Apply as Ringtone"

or if you dont wanna go through all that hassle, install Rings Extended App. Direct Download HERE

How to remove unwanted Stock Apps using SDK:

1: Once your phone has been rooted with Clockwork, boot into Recovery(hold volume down/press power)
2: Open CMD prompt, get to the "android\tools" directory
3: In recovery window highlight "Mount System"
4: Plug in data cable, in CMD type adb remount
5: Now enter adb shell
*you can view the list of apps stored in the phone by entering ls
6: To remove an app enter the following: rm whateverapp.apk, then enter rm whateverapp.odex
(example: rm HtcFacebook.apk ENTER then rm HtcFacebook.odex ENTER)
7: Type ls again to confirn they have been removed, reboot phone.
*NOTE: you may get 0.0dip listed in Widgets menu. simply go into Manage Apps and locate HTC Sense. Open it and "clear data". your display settings will be reset to factory, but it gets rid of the false data.

Stay tuned!! More to come

Last edited:

tpbklake

Aug 1, 2007
works on htc gratia a6380 with hboot 1.00 ? ? ?

thanks

Sorry, there has not been any procedure documented for rooting the Gratia with hboot 1.00. If you search this forum you will find some posts and references for things to try, but nothing concrete has been published yet.

zedbra

Sep 16, 2010
happy you guys like it. the idea is to be very simple and straight forward.
most of the info comes from XDA guides here. i hope an Admin will sticky this so it will be handy for others to use:)

911jason

Nov 1, 2010
Los Angeles
Hey Zed,

You might want to add to the Font section that you can change your LockScreen font using exactly the same method, but the font for the LockScreen is named Clockopia.ttf -- I'm sure anyone who changes their fonts will want that one changed too.

Also, on the pull command to back up your fonts, you need to add a \ after backup. I did it your way and it wrote the fonts into a file called backup. Then each time I entered it again to back up another font, it overwrote the previous one. Maybe the pull commands should also be moved up into the actual instructions instead of a footnote too, in case someone doesn't read all the way through before starting the process. It will be too late if they have already followed the instructions in their current form.

These are just suggestions, not criticism. Love the thread, thanks a lot for creating and updating it!

Reactions: zedbra

mcaxrb71

Jun 23, 2010
Thank you so much for this thread. It made rooting my Aria and putting on the latest liberated froyo ROM super easy. I was a root/custom rom virgin before yesterday! :eek:

zedbra

Sep 16, 2010
Hey Zed,

You might want to add to the Font section that you can change your LockScreen font using exactly the same method, but the font for the LockScreen is named Clockopia.ttf -- I'm sure anyone who changes their fonts will want that one changed too.

Also, on the pull command to back up your fonts, you need to add a \ after backup. I did it your way and it wrote the fonts into a file called backup. Then each time I entered it again to back up another font, it overwrote the previous one. Maybe the pull commands should also be moved up into the actual instructions instead of a footnote too, in case someone doesn't read all the way through before starting the process. It will be too late if they have already followed the instructions in their current form.

These are just suggestions, not criticism. Love the thread, thanks a lot for creating and updating it!

all suggestions are appeciated. good thoughts bro, soon as i have time it will be done:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Install Drivers:

Download required files HERE
    1: Plug in Aria with supplied data cable to install standard drivers
    2: Install HTC Sync (we only need this to get appropriate .adb drivers)
    3: Install H Boot Driver - Detailed Guide HERE
    a: Power down Aria
    b: Hold Volume Down button and press Power (this brings you to bootloader)
    c: Wait for SD Card diagnostic (about twenty seconds)
    d: Plug in Data cable - at this point Windows will say driver didnt install properly
    e: Navigate to Device Manager and update driver for Android 1.0
    f: Select "Browse Computer for Driver" and open "Android USB Driver" folder and click next

You now have all the Necessary drivers for your new Android!!

Rooting Your Phone

Credit goes to all the great devs at XDA Developers, including Attn1 and shad0wf0x for their great work

With all the Drivers installed you can now Root the phone!!
    1: Go into Menu/Settings/Applications/Development and check the box for "USB Debugging"
    2: Plug in phone and choose Charge Only, check box for "Dont ask again" and DONE
    3: Download and Run unrEVOked Recovery Tool as Administrator(Windows users)
    (as per unrEVOked instructions uninstall any s/w that communicates with the phone(ie: HTC Sync, Doubletwist, etc.)
    ---Follow any on-screen instructions
    **It may take a few tries(unrEVOked hates Windows)
    **if all else fails, try shad0wf0xs' Ubuntu Live CD method HERE
    Congrats!! you have Rooted your phone:)

Un-Rooting(Restore to factory)

All drivers from above must be installed
    1: Official ATT 2.2 Update(NOW Rootable!!! Click ME) or ATT 2.1 Update Download
    2: Make sure USB Debugging is checked in Applications/Development(if fail, then uncheck debugging)
    3: Run Aria Shipping ROM.exe as Administrator
    ---Follow on screen instructions, may take up to ten minutes

Install Custom ROM's

Once youre Rooted you can install custom ROM's from Clockwork Recovery;
    1: Copy a custom ROM to the SD card
    2: Power down phone
    3: Hold Volume down key and press Power to enter bootloader mode
    4: After diagnostics run, choose "Recovery" from the list and press power button to select it
    5: In Recovery menu choose "install zip from SD card"
    6: now select "Choose zip from SD card"
    7: navigate to the custom ROM and install
    **NOTE: Before flashing a custom ROM it is highly recommended you Wipe Data/Factory Reset in Recovery first
    it is also good practice to make a Nandroid backup before flashing any custom ROM

Install Custom Font

Credit goes to churapa. Nice work Bro!! Original Guide HERE

**ROOT Is Required for this
    **ALWAYS make a Nandroid Backup before attempting any Mods

-Things you will need:
    -True Type Fonts(both Normal and Bold .ttf)
    -ADB Tool and knowlege of use
    -Required Drivers for proper communication between PC and Android

1: Copy both fonts (normal and bold) into folder named Androidfonts
    2: Rename fonts to DroidSans and DroidSans-Bold
    3: With the phone off Enter Recovery mode by holding Volume Down key and press Power, select Recovery from the list
    4: Once in Clockwork Recovery choose "Partitions" and select "mount system"
    5: Connect Phone using Data Cable and run ADB Tools in CMD (c:\Android\Tools)
    6: now in CMD window enter the following command:
    adb push c:\androidfonts\DroidSans.ttf /system/fonts/DroidSans.ttf ENTER
    adb push c:\androidfonts\DroidSans-Bold.ttf /system/fonts/DroidSans-Bold.ttf ENTER
    7: Now exit CMD, unmount phone in Partitions menu, Go Back, Reboot Phone, Disconnect USB cable

Enjoy your new font!! :)
    NOTE: Respectively you can backup your current fonts by entering the following in ADB:
    adb pull /system/fonts/DroidSans.ttf c:\androidfonts\backup
    adb pull /system/fonts/DroidSans-Bold.ttf c:\androidfonts\backup

How to Sideload 3rd Party Apps:
    (Rooting NOT required for this)

Download SDK Tool HERE
    1: Un-RAR Android folder to root directory on PC (ie: C:\ )
    2: Open CMD Prompt and type CD\ and hit Enter
    3: Now type cd\android\tools Enter
    4: Plug in Data cable and choose "Charge Only" on phone (always choose this)
    5: Now in CMD prompt enter this command: adb install barcodescanner3.4.apk and press Enter

The SDK tool should install the Barcode Scanner app on the phone. Yay!! Success!!

**You can use this method to install .apk downloads onto the phone. For this demo i had already inserted
    the Barcode Scanner app into SDK tools folder. the actual command should read as follows:

adb install c:\path to .apk file (ie: adb install c:\apps\filename.apk)
    **I chose this app because you can use it to install other apps by scanning the barcode
    found on many HTC App sites.

How to apply ringtones over 300kb limit:

Short story first:)
    I wanted a nice free app to manage files, so i installed Astro File Manager using Barcode app from above.
    While moving some files around i discovered the option to set mp3's to ringtone... and it worked!!
    This is good because i was not happy to see there was a 300kb limit to ringtones. There may be another
    or better way, but this is how i did it

1: Go to Astro app website HERE
    2: Scan the Barcode with Barcode scanner app to install Astro Direct link HERE
    3: Open Astro, navigate to SD Card\Mobile\Music
    4: find the music file you want set to ringtone, Hold on it until menu pops up
    5: Select "Music Options", select "Apply as Ringtone"

or if you dont wanna go through all that hassle, install Rings Extended App. Direct Download HERE

How to remove unwanted Stock Apps using SDK:

1: Once your phone has been rooted with Clockwork, boot into Recovery(hold volume down/press power)
    2: Open CMD prompt, get to the "android\tools" directory
    3: In recovery window highlight "Mount System"
    4: Plug in data cable, in CMD type adb remount
    5: Now enter adb shell
    *you can view the list of apps stored in the phone by entering ls
    6: To remove an app enter the following: rm whateverapp.apk, then enter rm whateverapp.odex
    (example: rm HtcFacebook.apk ENTER then rm HtcFacebook.odex ENTER)
    7: Type ls again to confirn they have been removed, reboot phone.
    *NOTE: you may get 0.0dip listed in Widgets menu. simply go into Manage Apps and locate HTC Sense. Open it and "clear data". your display settings will be reset to factory, but it gets rid of the false data.

Stay tuned!! More to come
    LINKS Updated!!

sorry it took a while, i know this phone is prolly old news by now:)
    So the Android 2.2.2 is not rootable with unrev 3.3???

EDIT: CANT download the file from the oficial site (unrevoked). I have an aria on 2.2.2 and I want to root

If you installed the AT&T Froyo 2.2.2 update using the RUU exe, then no you will not be able to root your phone using Unrevoked.

This RUU update upgraded the HBOOT loader on your Aria and it now prevents you from rooting it.
    Nice tut I could easily follow it

Sent from my Liberty using XDA App
    i recommend to add the guide to Changing the default font of your Aria
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=869302