[Q] Galaxy Note not waking up?

Search This thread

citylimits

Mar 8, 2012
Both me and my GF, have had our GT-N7000 galaxy notes for about 3 weeks now.

We've both had them turn off twice. I'm glad I found this thread! Some useful suggestions in here.

What should I be setting the WI-FI policy to?

'when screen turns off.'

or 'never.' ??

Mephisto_POA

Mar 5, 2012
London
you guys should contact samsung to complain about this issue as I did, the more you get in touch with them quicker they will realize that is a firmware problem and resolve it asap
Samsung collected yesterday my note, lets see what they will find.

cswithxda

Jan 24, 2012
all over
As you may noticed, I once experienced this issue and posted for help in this thread. I addressed the issue by changing to different ROMs together with kernel.

And just now I also saw this post by user schaggo (thanks!), here's the quote:

This is probably related to minor changes of the hardware in newer Notes. It seems kernels basing on .35.7 do not properly work on those Notes, source .35.14 seems does. The device does work, its just a display problem. Try turning the device on and off a couple times, it'll eventually come back.

The symptoms though, is limited to this: (by agravier) (Thanks!)

Some recent N7000 with non directly rootable ROMS have problems after downgrading to KJ1 and upgrading to some more recent ROM: once locked, the phone is not unlockable, white pixels are displayed instead of the lock screen.

So if you have exact same symptoms on ur phone, try flashing a different kernel!

GL!

citylimits

Mar 8, 2012
I just had my N7000 go into a 'sleep of death'. This is the third time in a month. basically, it's happened once a week.

I have the WIFI sleep policy set to 'never when plugged in' at the moment, it has the added bonus of saving even more battery power, but has NOT resolved the issue.

I've created a file to keep track of the issue: how often it happens (and when) and also the settings i've changed to attempt to resolve it.

Today, under the display settings, I changed my screen mode from MOVIE to STANDARD. I also turned off the 'auto adjust screen power'.

I've kept my WIFI sleep mode settings the same.

I wonder if this is just certain batches made in China?

I've got a white g note GT-N7000 that is marked on the box as being made in China. Same with my GF's note.

What about everyone else? If you are having the 'SOD' issue, where was your device manufactured?

Last edited:

DamirArs

Mar 15, 2012
Hello! I have a problem with SOD, the phone was manufactured in Korea 10.2012 initially came with firmware KJ4 (DBT), to date, LB1 (DBT), I've tried a bunch of non-original firmware with the execution of all instructions to wipe, the same result. Are there programs or fixing the cause of an application for which the system freezes? Sorry for my bad english I'm from Russia.

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
Issue is not limited to the note alone but also on the Tab7.7 and 7.0 Plus

Mephisto_POA

Mar 5, 2012
London
Hello! I have a problem with SOD, the phone was manufactured in Korea 10.2012 initially came with firmware KJ4 (DBT), to date, LB1 (DBT), I've tried a bunch of non-original firmware with the execution of all instructions to wipe, the same result. Are there programs or fixing the cause of an application for which the system freezes? Sorry for my bad english I'm from Russia.

I got mine updated to several different firmwares and nothing changed, is with samsung on the repair center now :)

Mephisto_POA

Mar 5, 2012
London
Can you let us know if they find anything or are able to resolve it?

Actually they sent it back last Thursday saying it was fixed, just on the very first attempt it died again so I got back to them and they told me they found a problem with the power converter for the led camera (nothing was happening with it with me) and they replaced the power module.

The fault about the phone going into sleep of death was not looked into so I had to call them again, book the service again and set it back Friday. They are a bit stupid because I clearly stated the problem very well and they looked for something else to be fixed that was not even broken.

Is is like you got to a place asking for a donkey and end up with an ash tray and they think it is right...

Should get it back this week and I let you guys know what was found this time. I hope they don't try to fix something else that is not broken...

shubham.12

Oct 28, 2011
www.facebook.com
May be this will solve the problem
the reverting of Governor may be due to u are not checking the SET ON BOOT option in SET Cpu.. Coz on my NOTE it works right from REBOOT without changing Governors :)

citylimits

Mar 8, 2012
I had it happen to me again last night.

Odd, each time i've had the issue, it's been on a MONDAY!?

Anyway, I'm going to do backup/factory reset and see if that helps.

I'm also hoping that the official ICS update might resolve it when it gets released this summer.

If the issue is still occurring once i'm on ICS, i'll RMA the device.

gedster314

Sep 7, 2007
Oxnard, Ca
I have not experienced this on the Gnote till I started using Franco's test kernel. I went back to the Abyss kernel and not seen the issue again. Funny you mention radio being part of it. The other day, while on the Franco kernel, my phone was stuck on edge even though I was in area that is always HSPA+. Cycling the radio, changing APNS, toggling roaming off and on did nothing. Rebooting brought back HSPA+, never had that happen before.

I have seen this "Coma Mode" on other android phones and Windows Mobile phones. Usually happens when the the dev plays with the sleep states for better battery life. I guess it takes some tweaking time before they figure it out.

ulyshut

Mar 26, 2012
very the same issue i get on my note. I experience it twice for the past 3 weeks. It happened to me day 3 when i bought it and after i rooted my phone. My assumption is on the wifi but still not sure. i hope there will be a solution on this thanks.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

PoisonWolf

Feb 8, 2009
I experienced this twice so far on an ICS AOSP rom (imilka). No idea what causes it, but I'm guessing it's something to do with the voltages to the screen or touch-input not being responsive. Perhaps overvolting a little bit might be one solution?

Just a random idea. On the off note, do SODs damage the internal NAND? Or is the phone still actually awake and a reboot is no different than a regular reboot from when the phone is still working normally?

PoisonWolf

Feb 8, 2009
Also, you guys can try flashing a different RADIO to see if that helps. I've heard good things about the LB1 radio and am trying it out now. Will see if more SODs will occur in the next day. I've just had 2 in the past 2 hours. :D

uccoffee

Account currently disabled
Dec 20, 2004
My note has forzen before with stock LA4 & LA6, I m on stock LC1 now, and havent frozen for some time. Hope this help.

I can't put my finger on this issue I've been having with my Note.
Don't get me wrong, this device is a godsend!

The problem I've been having is that sometimes when I take my Note out of my pocket and try to press the unlock or menu button it doesn't show anything on the screen. I've read about people having issues with delay before it pops up, but it doesn't pop up even after 10 seconds or a minute, it feels like the device 'hangs' or doesn't want to wake up. The only way I can turn the phone on again is by pressing the unlock button for like 10 seconds and the phone reboots.

I thought it was a problem with Green Power, I thought it maybe had issues turning off the wifi or data when the screen was locked and that the service would cause the OS to crash or 'hang'. When I look at my battery history after the reboot it shows that I lost a significant amount of battery (5-15%, depending on how long it took for me to 'discover' the crash) and there's a 'jump' in the graph.

Things I've tried:
Stock rom - problem persists
Different kernels - tried all the kernels available in the market including stock, problem persists
Add a bit of paper between back-cover and battery (to make sure it doesn't lose contact)
Checked if there was dust between battery connections
Tried different sim card
Tried disabling wifi and data all day (mysteriously persists)
DIfferent governors (ondemand and interactive) (the phone reverts to default governor after the forced reboot, normal? i have my phone set to interactive on boot, but somehow it skips that after the forced reboot)

I've attached a picture of the battery graph. According to the stats there's a 25 minute gap where the phone was 'stuck' and you can see that the screen was on and active for that duration.

There are NO funny apps running in the background, this is is a clean install with some standard Samsung apps frozen.

tl;dr version: phone randomly won't wake up; battery loss after forced reboot;

DJ-Tumor

Mar 25, 2012
Viersen
Xiaomi Mi 10
Google Pixel 7
This is not yet to be seen as a official statement but:

I had the issue now for two days having installed ChrisX AOKP Build28.
Still today 3 times...now that I´ve switched to Jamie´s CNA 1.5.5 the Handy did go to sleep in very different states. NO PROBLEM! Until now...no more "StandBy-Freezes" as I call it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just got my note today.
    Battery in, turnt it on a few mins playing around.... the problem started
    and hasnt since stopped...

Anyone tried contacting samsung about this?
    software fix or hardware issue ??
    I'm fairly certain (90% sure) it has something to do with the WiFi-sleep policy.

I have my phone set to 'no sleep policy' and just turn it on and off manually. No problems as of yet (also not using Green Power or any other alternatives to it at the moment).
    sods? can you explain please?

Sod is sleep of death. this is the state you are in now. if you prefer stock ROM, try the thread in the Dev section from dr.ketan. Flash any ROM for your region.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium