[REF][GUIDE]Another Way to Successfully Flash AOSP/AOKP/CM9 ICS Roms from Gingerbread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

chasmodo

Dec 28, 2011
Novi Sad
Until now we all had to use LP1 Repack as a stepping-stone between Gingerbread and custom ICS Roms.
However, thanks to thechints, we have found an easier way to get to a fully rooted AOSP/AOKP/CM ICS from Gingerbread.

The following procedure was tested by thechints, vviz, abhisahara, and moi, and it works.

It was tested on Stunner and CM9, but could work for any ICS Rom that currently has "flash LP1 Repack" as one of the steps in its flashing instructions.
I emphasize the word 'could'. Give it a try and tell us what happened. The suggested method is safe insofar as it won't brick your device. You have a safe way back to GB via nAndroid backup or PC Odin if it fails.

The only tool that you need for the following procedure to work is AbyssNote 4.2 Kernel --> props to angelom and Chris X.

Get AbyssNote 4.2 kernel HERE.

Do not use earlier AbyssNote Kernel versions for the following procedure.

So, how to do it?

When on any rooted GB Rom:

First and foremost

Double- and triple-check if you have proper GB root!

Do not put faith in the fact that your Titanium Backup or some other root app works.
Do not use various root checkers from the Market.

Do that by trying to paste a file in /system folder -that's the only way for you to really know.
If you can do the pasting, you have root. If not, this thread is not for you.

I got several PMs from users who managed to achieve soft-bricks while still on GB. They tried to
flash AbyssNote kernel and got stuck. Do not let that happen to you.

After that:

1. download AbyssNote 4.2 kernel and place it on your internal/external SD Card
Also download the ICS Rom you want to install and put it on your SD card.
2. reboot to CWMR (press and hold volume up + home + power button) and do a backup of your current system
3. after your backup is done, stay in Recovery
4. go to install a zip from SD card --> select AbyssNote 4.2 zip and flash it
5. go back to CWMR's root menu --> advanced --> reboot recovery
6. you'll find yourself in AbyssNote's Touch Recovery (select options by tapping them, not by using the volume rocker and home button)
7. factory reset --> wipe cache --> wipe dalvik
9. flash the ICS Rom of your choice
10. reboot and let the Rom settle for a couple of minutes

Now comes the important part...check if you have root.

Start any Explorer with root permissions (Root Explorer, Es Explorer, X Explorer etc.).
Copy any file (a picture, txt file, MP3, whatever).
Navigate to /system folder
Change the /system folder's permissions to R/W.
Paste the file you have copied into /system.
If the pasting goes through OK, you're fully rooted.
Delete the file you've just pasted and set /system as R/O again

And that's it. Enjoy your rooted ICS Rom.

Once again, massive thanks to thechints, abhisahara, vviz and ubiquitous Dr. Ketan.:)

What to do if this procedure doesn't work, i.e. you don't get full ICS root

As we all know, our Notes are quirky devices. What works for most doesn't necessarily have to
work for your phone. So, if you fail to get full root:

Option 1. You will still have 90% functional ICS on your Note. Your phone will do all the usual stuff
normally. You'll probably even be able to use root apps, like Titanium. However, bear in mind that
you are stuck in the Rom you have just flashed - there is no going anywhere because your CWMR
doesn't have proper root privileges to flash things - DO NOT USE CWMR.
What you won't be able to do on your Note is
- apply themes and mods (because that involves flashing stuff through CWMR with no proper root)
- change DPI settings on your Note (you won't be able to switch to tablet mode, for instance)
Everything else should work properly. If you can live with that for a couple of weeks until the
official ICS arrives, then fine. Relax and enjoy your Rom.

Option 2. If you can't stand the thought that you don't have full root permissions then
- you can try to reboot to CWMR, flash AbyssNote 4.2 again, and try to run a GB restore.
This doesn't have high chances of success, but all is not lost even if it fails. Then
- you can use PC Odin to flash pre-rooted KJ1 stock Rom as explained by Dr. Ketan.

When No Any other method works to Root your device, use this[/B]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note that, this will downgrade your ROM to KJ1, after that you can update it.

Download: https://rapidshare.com/files/369028110/SGN_XX_OXA_KJ1_FACTORYFS.zip
(special thanx to schiwa for providing premium a/c to host file)

Code:
Mirror for Above file  (in case above link not works then only)
Download this three files

[url]http://www.mediafire.com/?7vf637co8frdqqg[/url]
[url]http://www.mediafire.com/?kkvdsf5vh8zipzi[/url]
[url]http://www.mediafire.com/?l6qqicvibzhxt18[/url]

- Tool to join them, run the following file and locate the .001 file.
[url]http://www.mediafire.com/?btrusgmd1v2d72q[/url]

- Make sure your SGN is NOT connected to your computer
- Reboot your SGN into "download mode" (Vol Down + Home + Power)
- Start ODIN
- Click the PDA button, and select the "SGN_XX_OXA_KJ1_FACTORYFS.tar" file
- Connect the SGN to your computer
- Make sure "repartition" is NOT checked
- Click the START button
- Wait for the phone to reboot TWICE
- Done.
Now that you have a rooted GB stock Rom, Install Mobile Odin Pro n update your device to any new Rom with Mobile Odin

After that you can flash whatever you like from its CWMR or use Mobile Odin to upgrade.

Last edited:

veasna.kelly

Aug 14, 2010
Phnom Penh
So we don't need to flash cf repack through mobile Odin or PC odin anymore and just flash 1st Abyte kernel, then 2nd flash any rooted & custom ics roms? Is it correct? What is your recommended ics custom rom would u suggest?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

matius44

Feb 24, 2011
Sunderland
So we don't need to flash cf repack through mobile Odin or PC odin anymore and just flash 1st Abyte kernel, then 2nd flash any rooted & custom ics roms? Is it correct? What is your recommended ics custom rom would u suggest?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Yes that is correct! Just make sure you have root and AbyssNote version 4.2

Try ICS Stunner and you won't be disappointed ;)

Reactions: milsabords

matius44

Feb 24, 2011
Sunderland
If Neo's kernel root sticks properly, one should be able to flash an ICS Rom straight from GB, just like you would flash a GB rom from another GB rom. No need for Abyss, Repack etc.

Might be true but I honestly doubt that, as the key factor here is the recovery which I don't think Neo would use, I think he will use CWM Recovery but we shall see..

Either ways, amazing job here, credit is due where it's deserved :)

Reactions: pajaSRB

O_G

Retired Senior Moderator / Retired ET Admin
Jul 8, 2007

As requested, sticky. Two in one day, good job guys! Added to wiki also​

Reactions: matius44

abhisahara

Jun 10, 2010
Bangalore
Good one Chas :)
And here we come again :p
And people just stick to the stickies and you will be golden :)
This method works and has been tried and tested by others and me....so take a chill and go ahead with it :)

Reactions: chasmodo

julian071

Nov 3, 2010
It worked for me!!

Now trying to find a way to mod the density of my ICS rom to 240, have not found anything working as of yet =/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Until now we all had to use LP1 Repack as a stepping-stone between Gingerbread and custom ICS Roms.
    However, thanks to thechints, we have found an easier way to get to a fully rooted AOSP/AOKP/CM ICS from Gingerbread.

The following procedure was tested by thechints, vviz, abhisahara, and moi, and it works.

It was tested on Stunner and CM9, but could work for any ICS Rom that currently has "flash LP1 Repack" as one of the steps in its flashing instructions.
    I emphasize the word 'could'. Give it a try and tell us what happened. The suggested method is safe insofar as it won't brick your device. You have a safe way back to GB via nAndroid backup or PC Odin if it fails.

The only tool that you need for the following procedure to work is AbyssNote 4.2 Kernel --> props to angelom and Chris X.

Get AbyssNote 4.2 kernel HERE.

Do not use earlier AbyssNote Kernel versions for the following procedure.

So, how to do it?

When on any rooted GB Rom:

First and foremost

Double- and triple-check if you have proper GB root!

Do not put faith in the fact that your Titanium Backup or some other root app works.
    Do not use various root checkers from the Market.

Do that by trying to paste a file in /system folder -that's the only way for you to really know.
    If you can do the pasting, you have root. If not, this thread is not for you.

I got several PMs from users who managed to achieve soft-bricks while still on GB. They tried to
    flash AbyssNote kernel and got stuck. Do not let that happen to you.

After that:

1. download AbyssNote 4.2 kernel and place it on your internal/external SD Card
    Also download the ICS Rom you want to install and put it on your SD card.
    2. reboot to CWMR (press and hold volume up + home + power button) and do a backup of your current system
    3. after your backup is done, stay in Recovery
    4. go to install a zip from SD card --> select AbyssNote 4.2 zip and flash it
    5. go back to CWMR's root menu --> advanced --> reboot recovery
    6. you'll find yourself in AbyssNote's Touch Recovery (select options by tapping them, not by using the volume rocker and home button)
    7. factory reset --> wipe cache --> wipe dalvik
    9. flash the ICS Rom of your choice
    10. reboot and let the Rom settle for a couple of minutes

Now comes the important part...check if you have root.

Start any Explorer with root permissions (Root Explorer, Es Explorer, X Explorer etc.).
    Copy any file (a picture, txt file, MP3, whatever).
    Navigate to /system folder
    Change the /system folder's permissions to R/W.
    Paste the file you have copied into /system.
    If the pasting goes through OK, you're fully rooted.
    Delete the file you've just pasted and set /system as R/O again

And that's it. Enjoy your rooted ICS Rom.

Once again, massive thanks to thechints, abhisahara, vviz and ubiquitous Dr. Ketan.:)

What to do if this procedure doesn't work, i.e. you don't get full ICS root

As we all know, our Notes are quirky devices. What works for most doesn't necessarily have to
    work for your phone. So, if you fail to get full root:

Option 1. You will still have 90% functional ICS on your Note. Your phone will do all the usual stuff
    normally. You'll probably even be able to use root apps, like Titanium. However, bear in mind that
    you are stuck in the Rom you have just flashed - there is no going anywhere because your CWMR
    doesn't have proper root privileges to flash things - DO NOT USE CWMR.
    What you won't be able to do on your Note is
    - apply themes and mods (because that involves flashing stuff through CWMR with no proper root)
    - change DPI settings on your Note (you won't be able to switch to tablet mode, for instance)
    Everything else should work properly. If you can live with that for a couple of weeks until the
    official ICS arrives, then fine. Relax and enjoy your Rom.

Option 2. If you can't stand the thought that you don't have full root permissions then
    - you can try to reboot to CWMR, flash AbyssNote 4.2 again, and try to run a GB restore.
    This doesn't have high chances of success, but all is not lost even if it fails. Then
    - you can use PC Odin to flash pre-rooted KJ1 stock Rom as explained by Dr. Ketan.

When No Any other method works to Root your device, use this[/B]
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Note that, this will downgrade your ROM to KJ1, after that you can update it.

Download: https://rapidshare.com/files/369028110/SGN_XX_OXA_KJ1_FACTORYFS.zip
    (special thanx to schiwa for providing premium a/c to host file)

Code:
    Mirror for Above file  (in case above link not works then only)
    Download this three files

[url]http://www.mediafire.com/?7vf637co8frdqqg[/url]
    [url]http://www.mediafire.com/?kkvdsf5vh8zipzi[/url]
    [url]http://www.mediafire.com/?l6qqicvibzhxt18[/url]

- Tool to join them, run the following file and locate the .001 file.
    [url]http://www.mediafire.com/?btrusgmd1v2d72q[/url]

- Make sure your SGN is NOT connected to your computer
    - Reboot your SGN into "download mode" (Vol Down + Home + Power)
    - Start ODIN
    - Click the PDA button, and select the "SGN_XX_OXA_KJ1_FACTORYFS.tar" file
    - Connect the SGN to your computer
    - Make sure "repartition" is NOT checked
    - Click the START button
    - Wait for the phone to reboot TWICE
    - Done.
    Now that you have a rooted GB stock Rom, Install Mobile Odin Pro n update your device to any new Rom with Mobile Odin

After that you can flash whatever you like from its CWMR or use Mobile Odin to upgrade.
    Nice mate!

Very useful thread, hats off to you :D
    Nice mate!

Very useful thread, hats off to you :D

This will probably become obsolete in a matter of minutes thanks to neo's kernel.:)
    Is ICS on the note worth the trouble?

Oh, yes!

For me, the AOSP/CM9/AOKP branch of Roms offers unprecedented speed and smoothness, good battery life, and doesn't contain tons of Samsung crapware. These Roms range between 100-220Mbs in size. That's why they are so fast.
    Also, some of them, like Stunner and Liquid, give you lots of customization options. And some good and knowledgeable people (hi, tremerone and mat:)) produce delightful small mods to make your ICS experience even better.
    Guys still confused about this. Sorry . I must be half drunk still!

Ok I am 1st installing: everything via Oden

Completely Stock_Odex rom with root:
    3*FilesNo-Wipe N7000XXLA4_N7000OXALA4_DBT Germany

Then I install CF-Root: CF-Root-SGN_XX_OXA_LA4-v5.0-CWM5.zip

then I let the tel reboot and sit there for 10 min.

then I reboot into CWM, now i Install the Abyss Kernel version 4.2 original logo
    then I reboot recovery,

then I wipe data factory reset, wipe cache partition, wipe dalvik cache.

Then I choose install zip from SD card choose the ICS_Stunner_1.4.19 I want to install this one.. and install it .. then reboot

but I am still not able to copy to the system folder, and I can not change it to R/W

what am I doing wrong?

Lastly, it seem now I have this yellow triangle as well. I have a jog but did not work .. any suggestions on this..

or in the worst case.. can I just flash from CWM recovery one of my back ups and get to Gignerbread again and still have root?

I know.. silly questions.. but be great is someone could lean a thought on this. :) thanks

Hi mate, please try again with the following steps (do the exact steps please) :

- Flash the stock LB1 from the same thread you had up there with Odin, then flash CF Root kernel for LB1 just like you did for LA4

- Boot the ROM, let it settle for 10-15 minutes, then check if you have full root (copy/paste files to /system)

- Reboot your ROM couple of times again and check again for full root access

- After leaving it for another 10-15 minutes, copy "AbyssNotekernel42RedTouchOriginalLogo" and "ICS_Stunner_1.4.19" to your internal sd card (MUST be the SAME zips as mentioned)

- Long-press power button and choose reboot to recovery

- Go to install zip from sd card --> choose zip from internal sd card --> choose "AbyssNotekernel42RedTouchOriginalLogo"

- Check if flashing is successful, it should say "Install from sd card complete" in the end

- Select Go back, then go to Advanced --> Reboot Recovery

- If you do not have the Redpill Touch Recovery then you choose the wrong zip, download the right one and repeat the previous three steps:

It should say "RedPill Touch Recovery by AF974" at the top and "CWM v5.5.0.4" at the bottom in white, the rest of options are in red

- Go to Wipe menu --> wipe data / factory reset, wipe cache and wipe dalvik cache

- Go to Install menu --> choose zip from internal sdcard --> "ICS_Stunner_1.4.19" --> Yes

- After flashing has completed, go to Reboot Menu --> reboot system

- Let the ROM settle for a few minutes, and then check for your root privileges

Please try the exact steps and report your results mate

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 PM ----------

Running at the moment Cassies XtraLite LC1, can i flash LiquidSmooth with your method ?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1608157

Thx !

Yes mate you can, just make sure you follow the steps carefully and you'll be fine :)