[APP][2.2+] ButlerSMS Auto Reply

Search This thread

zalez

Oct 19, 2009
Overview: ButlerSMS is a sms auto responder.

If you would like to support my work, feel free to purchase the app from google play. (It is on sale for $0.99 right now :) )
ButlerSMS

Check second post for what is currently being worked on.
NOTE: This new version has significant changes to the database.
To prevent force closes, I had to force the app to empty your current database.
All custom responses will be lost and settings will be set back to default.

UPDATED 6/13/12
What's new:
  • Added "Silent Mode" - when your phone's ringer is turned down to silent, if this is enabled, it will prompt you to turn ButlerSMS on.
  • Added "Auto Off" - When enabled, you will be offered a timer to have ButlerSMS automatically turn off. (this is only available if turning app on from the actually application and not the widget)
  • CarDock Mode - When docked in a car, ButlerSMS will automatically turn on.

KNOWN ISSUES:
  • Shake Mode is an option, but not yet available
  • Text To Speech plays over phone and Bluetooth when connected to a media device.
  • The "button" to set the GPS locator password is not functional. You can still set it by toggling the GPS checkbox.

Features:
  • Custom responses
  • Personalized responses to individual numbers you set
  • 3 different preset modes - Normal, driving and movie
  • Widget for home screen to toggle normal mode on/off
  • Text to Speech - Reads sms messages to you when enabled
  • Reply Timer - App will not reply until after a preset time has elapsed (after their first sms) that is user changeable
  • GPS Locator - This will respond to a user that sends a pass phrase that you control (pass phrase is set when gps locator is enabled and is cleared when it is disabled).
  • Voice response - If TTS is enabled, you can send a sms msg via voice. This will unlock your phone to allow you to safely reply to a sms msg. The screen will timeout after 20 seconds of inactivity (not touching the screen) or after you send a voice reply.
  • Improved TTS by controlling audio volume - When a SMS is received, the audio volume will be muted while your sms is read to you. The volume will raise when it is done reading.
  • Blacklisting - (Or whitelisting) Numbers in this list will not be replied to.
  • Re-organized the GUI on the settings page. Makes a lot more sense now (I hope) - Thanks okmijnlp for pointing it out :)
  • Voice Reply is now an option that can be turned off

What I am looking for:
  • Bugs - This has been tested on many GB systems. ICS has not been tested much and I am looking for bugs on it.
  • New Features - You tell me what you would like in a SMS auto responder. If enough people want it (or it just plainly makes sense), I will add it.
Also, please let me know if anyone receives any type of notification sound during a call when you actually don't have a notification.

What you get in return:
Unlimited use, updates and credit of new ideas added.

I want to thank everyone that helps out in advance!
:)

Note: Do not download the market version, please use the attachment to download.

Attachments

• ScreenShot.jpg
    ScreenShot.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 631
  • ScreenShot(1).jpg
    ScreenShot(1).jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 590
  • ButlerSMS-beta.apk
    192.6 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:

zalez

Oct 19, 2009
UPDATED 6/13/2012

Here is what I am working on (Items in green are currently being worked on):

Silent Mode - ButlerSMS will have a setting to either auto turn on or prompt you to turn it on. Progress: completed.

Disable Timer - A Timer that will turn ButlerSMS off after x amount of time have passed. This can be set in a setting or also set to prompt everytime it is enabled.Progress: Completed (thank you Panamon)

Car Dock - Auto enable drive mode when phone is in car dock mode. (thank you uosiumen) Progress: Completed

Mode based reply - ButlerSMS will offer 4 modes (user can name) that can be set for a 24 hr period. ButlerSMS will then turn itself on or off depending on the action the user sets.

Group Reply - Groups can be created and contacts/numbers can be added.

Wild Carding blacklist - Progess: Started

Last edited:
Reactions: AlwaysDroid

zalez

Oct 19, 2009
Couple things I will be working on are:

Adjusting music volume when a sms is read out loud.
Adding the option to reply by voice when text to speech is enabled.

If anyone would like to see anything else added, let me know. :D

zalez

Oct 19, 2009
Getting ready to release an update. One last hurdle to jump with the audiomanager and I will release it.

okmijnlp

Oct 15, 2011
Really nice app. Just an idea, but the GUI could be changed..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

Reactions: zalez

zalez

Oct 19, 2009
Here is what I am currently working on.

Working on creating the option to turn off voice reply
Working on Blacklist (No reply list)

Anyone have any bugs, feature requests or other ideas?

zalez

Oct 19, 2009
Updated OP

Added a few features and a couple screenshots. Don't forget to try the widget out also, it makes it pretty quick to turn on and off.

What I am working on now:

Polishing the GUI up

One major idea I have been thinking about is giving the end user the ability to create their own "modes".

Panamon

Jan 1, 2012
What a great idea for an app. I love the option of being polite to certain people by bring able to inform them that I may not intentionally be ignoring their texts.

I can be absent minded however and I would appreciate a timer option to turn the auto responses off after a chosen amount of time.

I find the unmute app Shush! indispensable in my everyday life and your app may also benefit from an option to respond to mute requests with a timer function. Often when I mute the ringer I'm unavailable to text as well, though not always, so an auto prompt with the ability to set a quick timer to a mute request would be much appreciated.

panmoto

Feb 17, 2010
ideas :
- make use of proximity sensor or gyro sensor to activate certain profile. e.g. :
when the phone is placed face down, Sleep Profile is activated.
- use the gps, compass, g-sensor to have more detail answer e.g: i am driving 50 mph on X street and heading North etc. usually needed by worried parents/spouses.

zalez

Oct 19, 2009
Thanks

Awesome ideas everyone!! I really want to thank you all for the ideas and feedback. Below are some of the things I will start to implement. I will work on the disable timer first as I think it will have the biggest impact of change in the code. After that, rest should be simple and fall in to place very easily.

Silent Mode - ButlerSMS will have a setting to either auto turn on or prompt you to turn it on.

Disable Timer - A Timer that will turn ButlerSMS off after x amount of time have passed. This can be set in a setting or also set to prompt everytime it is enabled. (thank you Panamon)

Car Dock - Auto enable drive mode when phone is in car dock mode. (thank you uosiumen)

Mode based reply - ButlerSMS will offer 4 modes (user can name) that can be set for a 24 hr period. ButlerSMS will then turn itself on or off depending on the action the user sets.

@panmoto - I will look in to the use of the proximity sensor. I also wrote code to enable the app if you shake your device but never implemented it. Would that be something you would like to see also? Thank you for the ideas.

@Kyshara - Could you explain more about the wildcards? Are you saying if you set a custom response for "Jo*" then you would want it to respond to any contacts with "Jo" in it (ie - Joe, Joseph, Jose, John)? Also, thank you for the ideas.

@Axxess - I will research to see if Whatsapp offers an entry point to access their services. Thank you for the idea.

@rebel1699 - Thank you for the feedback with ICS

Thanks again everyone!

Reactions: Panamon

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Overview: ButlerSMS is a sms auto responder.

If you would like to support my work, feel free to purchase the app from google play. (It is on sale for $0.99 right now :) )
    ButlerSMS

Check second post for what is currently being worked on.
    NOTE: This new version has significant changes to the database.
    To prevent force closes, I had to force the app to empty your current database.
    All custom responses will be lost and settings will be set back to default.

UPDATED 6/13/12
    What's new:
    • Added "Silent Mode" - when your phone's ringer is turned down to silent, if this is enabled, it will prompt you to turn ButlerSMS on.
    • Added "Auto Off" - When enabled, you will be offered a timer to have ButlerSMS automatically turn off. (this is only available if turning app on from the actually application and not the widget)
    • CarDock Mode - When docked in a car, ButlerSMS will automatically turn on.

KNOWN ISSUES:
    • Shake Mode is an option, but not yet available
    • Text To Speech plays over phone and Bluetooth when connected to a media device.
    • The "button" to set the GPS locator password is not functional. You can still set it by toggling the GPS checkbox.

Features:
    • Custom responses
    • Personalized responses to individual numbers you set
    • 3 different preset modes - Normal, driving and movie
    • Widget for home screen to toggle normal mode on/off
    • Text to Speech - Reads sms messages to you when enabled
    • Reply Timer - App will not reply until after a preset time has elapsed (after their first sms) that is user changeable
    • GPS Locator - This will respond to a user that sends a pass phrase that you control (pass phrase is set when gps locator is enabled and is cleared when it is disabled).
    • Voice response - If TTS is enabled, you can send a sms msg via voice. This will unlock your phone to allow you to safely reply to a sms msg. The screen will timeout after 20 seconds of inactivity (not touching the screen) or after you send a voice reply.
    • Improved TTS by controlling audio volume - When a SMS is received, the audio volume will be muted while your sms is read to you. The volume will raise when it is done reading.
    • Blacklisting - (Or whitelisting) Numbers in this list will not be replied to.
    • Re-organized the GUI on the settings page. Makes a lot more sense now (I hope) - Thanks okmijnlp for pointing it out :)
    • Voice Reply is now an option that can be turned off

What I am looking for:
    • Bugs - This has been tested on many GB systems. ICS has not been tested much and I am looking for bugs on it.
    • New Features - You tell me what you would like in a SMS auto responder. If enough people want it (or it just plainly makes sense), I will add it.
    Also, please let me know if anyone receives any type of notification sound during a call when you actually don't have a notification.

What you get in return:
    Unlimited use, updates and credit of new ideas added.

I want to thank everyone that helps out in advance!
    :)

Note: Do not download the market version, please use the attachment to download.
    UPDATED 6/13/2012

Here is what I am working on (Items in green are currently being worked on):

Silent Mode - ButlerSMS will have a setting to either auto turn on or prompt you to turn it on. Progress: completed.

Disable Timer - A Timer that will turn ButlerSMS off after x amount of time have passed. This can be set in a setting or also set to prompt everytime it is enabled.Progress: Completed (thank you Panamon)

Car Dock - Auto enable drive mode when phone is in car dock mode. (thank you uosiumen) Progress: Completed

Wild Carding blacklist - Progess: Started
    Couple things I will be working on are:

Adjusting music volume when a sms is read out loud.
    Adding the option to reply by voice when text to speech is enabled.

If anyone would like to see anything else added, let me know. :D
    Getting ready to release an update. One last hurdle to jump with the audiomanager and I will release it.