[Q] Windows 7 "SAMSUNG Mobile MTP Device" failed installation

Search This thread
Jun 16, 2012
Perth
Hi :)

For some reason I am now getting a Driver Installation Failure error for my S3 when I plug it in to USB on Windows 7. The driver is SAMSUNG Mobile MTP Device, which fails after a long (3 minute or so) install attempt.

This means I can't access the Phone via USB for file tranfers etc, either Windows Explorer or Keis. Though I can use ODIN to Flash if I put the Phone in Debug Mode.

I have tried all sorts. Un-installing the Samsung Drivers, rebooting and reinstalling, and getting Kies to try a driver repair.

It wasn't like this when I started with the phone. Something changed - after I rooted it. I am currently on the Omega ROM 6.0 with standard kernel. For a while I was on 5.1 with Syloa 1.1 and then 1.26. I realized it was wrong when I couldn't copy Omega 6.0 ROM ZIP over to Flash.

I have searched and searched. This seems to have happened to other phones as well but be intermittent. A few other phone on XDA have reported this in the last couple of weeks (so maybe a Microsoft change to Windows 7?)

As a weird related issue sometimes when I plug the Phone into WIndows now I get two removable drives showing, which are "Samsung USB Gadgets" using a 2006 Microsoft Driver... They show as removable drives with no drive in them. Again all my tricks of disabling uninstalling, re-installing etc these seem to make no difference.

Anyway - any ideas / fixes help appreciated!!!

Cheers

Reactions: kayamemet

rohan999

Oct 30, 2011
Roorkee
So here is the cure. First connect your phone to your pc. Now right click my computer and select manage. Go to device manager and expand the universal serial bus controllers tab. Now you should see something like unknown device with a yellow exclamation mark. Right click it and select uninstall. Now reconnect your phone and try it.

Now again check in device manager after installation. It should look like the one in the attachment.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 39,935

rizzo1001

Sep 9, 2010
boston
I've got the same issue; can't get the MTP drivers to work on my Win 7 machine or my work XP box. Both had the Galaxy nexus drivers on them previously (I think, came from ICS Captivate).

Reactions: itllsendamsg

pruhster

Jun 5, 2012
Are you sure USB debbuging is unchecked in settings?

If that's not the problem, you could try a different pc or os (a live ubunt cd for instance) to see whether it's the phone or the computer thats messed up.

rizzo1001

Sep 9, 2010
boston
Yeah tried all the ports/cables I've got lying around. In safe mode it will install everything okay but Kies still won't connect. :/

fredphoesh

Jan 15, 2009
It wasn't like this when I started with the phone. Something changed - after I rooted it. I am currently on the Omega ROM 6.0 with standard kernel.

Same here!
I also have Omega ROM 6.0 but the problem started BEFORE Omega ROM.
Did you also back up your efs folder using SGS Toolkit 2.0?
I seem to have had the problem after flashing the "insecure image" which one has to do using the SGS Toolkit in order to backup efs.

Ive also uninstalled and reinstalled pretty much EVERYTHING, drivers, Kies, SGSToolkit etc...

I have 5 pc's at home. ALL of them cannot connect to my SGS3, and ALL could connect to my SGS2 a couple of days ago!

tx
Mark.

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

So here is the cure. First connect your phone to your pc. Now right click my computer and select manage. Go to device manager and expand the universal serial bus controllers tab. Now you should see something like unknown device with a yellow exclamation mark. Right click it and select uninstall. Now reconnect your phone and try it.

Thanks, but process does not work in this case. Not on 5 PC's in my house.
BTW Kies by WIFI seems to work, but it is obviously very limited...

rjnolberto83

Jun 6, 2012
To fix the problem, follow the next steps:*1) Go to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19153
2) Press the*Continue*button (Near the validation required button)*
3) Press the*Download*button (Near the genuine Microsoft software)*
4) In case that the download hasn't started automatically within 30 seconds, press the*Start Download*button.*
5) Save the file.*
6) Execute the file (Double click on the mouse's left button).*
7) Next -> Repair -> Repair -> Finish -> Choose "Yes" so the system restarts itself.*
That's it, now the MTP devices should work correctly.*

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Thorned_Rose

Ripper574

Jun 28, 2011
To fix the problem, follow the next steps:*1) Go to microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=A2E73160-E862-4F19-BB26-C0CAFE798955&displaylang=en
4) In case that the download hasn't started automatically within 30 seconds, press the*Start Download*button.*
5) Save the file.*
7) Next -> Repair -> Repair -> Finish -> Choose "Yes" so the system restarts itself.*

I've got the same issue and this did not work.
Reinstalling windows fixed my problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrEdge

fredphoesh

Jan 15, 2009
cure is to wipe phone, dalvik, re-flash rom

To fix the problem, follow the next steps:*1) Go to microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=A2E73160-E862-4F19-BB26-C0CAFE798955&displaylang=en
5) Save the file.*

Hi there
This may work in other situations, but I have found out what caused my MTP to start working again, and it is NOT the computer, it is the phone for 100% sure.

I had this issue on 5 PCs in my home, ALL of which worked fine with my SGS2.

I did a factory wipe, wiped dalvik, and re-installed Omega v6 rom, and it now works on all 5 computers.

I do not know why it started, but the thing I did before the problems started was to use SGSToolkit v2 to flash an "insecure image" so I could backup efs folder. I have a feeling it is related to this, but I do not know for sure, and the maker of that software says 20000 people have used his software without this issue, so it cannot be his software.

Anyhow, by reflashing omega, and wiping the phone, it now works.

Mark.

Jun 16, 2012
Perth
Worked for me too.. It was the phone.

Mark,

Thanks. I too had Omega 5.2.
I wanted to upgrade modems but found I couldn't connect via PC as I had lost Root.
I too downloaded Version 2.0 of the tool kit and downloaded the insecure kernel and flashed it.
After that I could not get any PC to recognise the phone.
I got Omega 6.0 on wirelessly
But connection problem remained.

So your full wipe worked. The phone is now behaving and connecting to any PC I try.

Thanks

Geoff

dougdragon

Jul 11, 2012
Possibly the USB cable?

I ran into this issue as well. When I connected my phone to my (Win7Prof64) computer, the OS recognized and downloaded the drivers and my phone's directory came right up. When I tried the same the next day - I received the "unknown device" message. After about an hour of troubleshooting I learned something interesting - I was using a different USB cable than the one I received with my phone. I connected the USB cable I got with the phone and everything automagically worked again. The USB cable must use another wire that "regular" USB cables don't? Here's a chat with Samsung support regarding the cable:

Gavin: Yes, the USB cable supplied with the device is Samsung recommend and is the Original. So, we request you to use the USB which is supplied with the device.
Doug: will i damage the device at all if i use a different cable to simply charge the device?
Gavin: No, it will not damage the device while charging.
Gavin: But, it can face some issues in connecting in mass storage mode.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: jezzabart

timebomb

Jun 17, 2006
Here's what I found about about my problem.

Samsung Galaxy S3 does not like USB 3.0 ports on my laptop.

Plugged the phone into the USB 2.0 port and it worked perfect.

Hope this helps out some of you!

Nnyan

Aug 24, 2010
Sacramento
I had this happen on occasion in the past and just now (moved to new laptop). What I have done that works for me is that you open up the details (where it says that it's installing your device click here for more details) and let it find/install all the drivers. Eventually it will fail with the MTP driver, KEEP that window open. Now unplug the usb cable FROM YOUR PC (don't ask me why but this works 100% from the phone side not always) and then plug in again. You'll see the MTP driver search start again and this time it should install.

Reactions: turbare

drdionysius

Oct 28, 2008
Google Pixel 4a 5G
FIX

1. Download and install the s3 Toolkit here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1703488
2. Don't run it but browse to \Samsung Galaxy S3 ToolKit\drivers
3. Run USBDeview and uninstall everything with Samsung or i9300 in the description (right-mouse)
4. uninstall Kies and USB drivers.
5. Disconnect phone
6. Install \Samsung Galaxy S3 ToolKit\drivers\Samsung_USB_Driver.exe
7. Connect phone.

Tadah!

Reactions: fifamaniac

khaledelfeki

May 24, 2005
Jeddah
Solution

Here is the only solution that could resolve the problem for me after days and days of trials and errors.
Just go to device manager and manually install the driver after selecting it from the already available drivers.

over and done.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Solved! For real!

For some reason, any of those options helped me to make it work:

- Reinstall Windows Media Player
    - Remove registry key
    - Clean up old usb drivers
    - re-install 100 times drivers from Verizon, Samsung. Even old versions.
    - Install from Windows Update. I tried to do that 1000 times. Gosh!
    - enable UMT access (mass storage) on the phone.

The only thing that worked was, for some reason , getting the drivers from a random computer that was the only computer that worked.

Windows 7 x64

Attached the files. Go to the devices manager and update the drivers.

Israel Leite

Now again check in device manager after installation. It should look like the one in the attachment.
    Try opening Regedit and deleting UpperFilters entries from the following Keys if they exist.

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}
    - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{EEC5AD98-8080-425f-922A-DABF3DE3F69A}

disconnect your Phone if it is connected and reconnect it. Drivers should install correctly.

For some reason I am now getting a Driver Installation Failure error for my S3 when I plug it in to USB on Windows 7. The driver is SAMSUNG Mobile MTP Device, which fails after a long (3 minute or so) install attempt.

This means I can't access the Phone via USB for file tranfers etc, either Windows Explorer or Keis. Though I can use ODIN to Flash if I put the Phone in Debug Mode.

I have tried all sorts. Un-installing the Samsung Drivers, rebooting and reinstalling, and getting Kies to try a driver repair.

It wasn't like this when I started with the phone. Something changed - after I rooted it. I am currently on the Omega ROM 6.0 with standard kernel. For a while I was on 5.1 with Syloa 1.1 and then 1.26. I realized it was wrong when I couldn't copy Omega 6.0 ROM ZIP over to Flash.

I have searched and searched. This seems to have happened to other phones as well but be intermittent. A few other phone on XDA have reported this in the last couple of weeks (so maybe a Microsoft change to Windows 7?)

As a weird related issue sometimes when I plug the Phone into WIndows now I get two removable drives showing, which are "Samsung USB Gadgets" using a 2006 Microsoft Driver... They show as removable drives with no drive in them. Again all my tricks of disabling uninstalling, re-installing etc these seem to make no difference.

Anyway - any ideas / fixes help appreciated!!!

Cheers
    I can tell you what it was in my case. I had exactly the same symptoms, with MTP Device could not start (error code 10) on my Windows Vista 64bit OS. Was it Vista's fault, was it Galaxy's (I have a SGS II Plus) ? Nope... it was my fault for disabling the automatic startup of the MTP Application, seemingly useless startup item that could have been recalled by the system on first demand: hold off, that service is there to stay in the autorun at startup.

So if you like me have installed a Startup Manger and with Super User privileges started disabling system services, double check the the "MTP Application" service is left the way it's intended to be: autorun at startup.