New wireless charging chip, same speed as wired charging?

Search This thread

ewokuk

Oct 26, 2011
just spotted this

http://www.qiwireless.com/toshiba-starting-production-faster-wireless-charging-chip/

Wireless charging at wired speeds. I am avoiding wireless charging due to the slow speed of it but if this thing works I wont need to avoid it anymore.

When available, would this work with an S5? It says it uses Qi as "its base for wireless charging". This is unclear to me, does this mean it is a Qi charger or that it simply uses some Qi stuff and then goes beyond it to provide the extra power, so it isnt actually Qi at all (if Qi is a standard then I assume this new thing doesn't confirm to that standard and so it isnt Qi, in which case it wont work with existing Qi devices?)?

What I would also like to know is does this new chip need to be in the phone itself, or would the chip they talk about be inside the back cover, or in the charging pad? Obviously if the phone itself needs to support this specific chip then its not going to be any good for s5 users, but if it is independent of anything in the phone and work would on an s5 then it may be worth waiting for it, it is apparently already in mass production so should be around soon I guess.

tdrussell

Sep 13, 2010
Dallas
Based on the (albeit limited) numbers they provide in the article, it appears this is still a low-power Qi spec device like the ones we have today, which have a maximum output of 5W.

The wireless charging integrated chip will be following the Qi wireless charging standard as its base for wireless charging, which is great since this is currently the most used wireless charging standard for current devices. Along with this, the chip will be able to have a maximum output of 5 watts, which is comparable to a wired charger.

Unfortunately they say nothing about how this would differ from your run of the mill ebay Qi solution.

Mathematically (which admittedly is not my forte), if we assume "Wired" charging rate is 1800mA, 5W @ 5V requires 9W to hit 1800ma, which is outside the low-power Qi spec.

ewokuk

Oct 26, 2011
Then it is even more confusing as the entire article seems to be suggesting that it will charge at the same rates as wired chargers and much faster than current Qi systems.

liamstears

Nov 8, 2007
Kent
Standard wired charging rate is 1amp, at 5v that is 5w

So if the new induction/wireless charger can supply 5w that means it will supply 1amp which is the same as wired

These will be roughly the same charging speeds

cpgifford

Oct 2, 2010
Houston, Tx
by the way, if you look at the charger your phone came with it clearly says "5.3V and 2A" so no the wireless charging will not compare to the conventional wired charging using your stock charger

liamstears

Nov 8, 2007
Kent
by the way, if you look at the charger your phone came with it clearly says "5.3V and 2A" so no the wireless charging will not compare to the conventional wired charging using your stock charger

This is correct, sorry should of also made my post more clear

5v 1amp is most common on many devices now and the qi statement relates to many devices so technically what they say is right BUT now some devices including the S5 do use slightly higher voltages and some draw more current now meaning wireless charging on our device will not be as good as wired BUT for most people that simply charge overnight it will make no difference

Those that charge overnight wireless charging will be perfect

Those that excessively use their phone and need as much charge as possible in short periods/quick charges throughout the day etc should use wired charging

Reactions: cpgifford

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This is correct, sorry should of also made my post more clear

5v 1amp is most common on many devices now and the qi statement relates to many devices so technically what they say is right BUT now some devices including the S5 do use slightly higher voltages and some draw more current now meaning wireless charging on our device will not be as good as wired BUT for most people that simply charge overnight it will make no difference

Those that charge overnight wireless charging will be perfect

Those that excessively use their phone and need as much charge as possible in short periods/quick charges throughout the day etc should use wired charging