[NewMethod][MOD][PATCH]CM5.0.7/8 AnySPL (NoneDanger) [2010-06-23]

Search This thread

Firerat

Feb 24, 2009
OK , quick post

Firstly, this is not my work...
Full credit to Cyanogen & Co, please see CM5.0.7 OP for the full credits, and Donation links.
And no I do not have a donate link myself, yes I could make one but I'm not about to. Honestly my changes are minimal.

I would also like to credit Speedysilwady for his [HOW-TO] Make ANY ROM fit on Stock/Any SPL thread, and lbcoder for inspiring him to create that thread.

What is it?
This is simply CM5.0.8 patched to flash on a None Danger SPL G1
  • HardSPL -VER: HSPL 10.95.3000
  • Engineering SPL - VER: HBOOT- 0.95.3000
  • Original SPL - VER: HBOOT- 0.95.0000
BUT, my goal was to keep it compatible with Danger and MT3G ( which I have done )

Why?
  • because I use NoneDangerSPL. Personally I believe its better for Huge bloated Sense ROMs ( via cachehack )
  • Some don't wish to flash Danger for fear of bricking.
  • Danger SPL will also complicate things for QWERTZ keyboard users, where they have to manually 'patch' the keyboard files to get proper support for QWERTZ
  • I don't have anything to back this up as yet, but since I don't have any USB mount/ADB issues, and have not been able to replicate them I believe DangerSPL might be a factor ( but as yet I don't understand why ), _but_ as I said I have nothing to back this theory up with

######################################################################
Quick instructions
  1. Nand + ext backup
  2. Wipe <-- that is up to you, if you don't and it goes all screwy... wipe everything
  3. flash FR-CM-5.0.8-DS-AnySPL_S.zip
  4. assuming you want/need google addon flash Google Addon: ERE36B from CM5.0.8 OP
  5. Magic 32A/EBI1 users should flash the kernel update in CM5.0.8 OP
Experimental
Credit for this goes to Lbcoder and his excellent Custom partition layouts, ZERO brick risk! thread
I have posted full instructions here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=6916491#post6916491
no sense in me just repeating it
go check it out :)
NB, it is experimental, but I've had it working well for a day or two now

notes,
  • Clockwork Recovery / ROM Manager
never used this myself, but from posts in the CM forum it seems most people with flashing problems were using that, personally I use RA 1.7.0​
  • flashing RA 1.7.0 ( or any recovery )
*do not*, I repeat *do not* flash recovery ( or boot ) via CM5.0.7 ( flash_image or ROM Manager ), use fastboot or recovery.​
  • is RA 1.7.0 needed?
Nope,
far too many people think RA <= 1.6.2 is incompatible with CM5. The fact is CM5 is incompatible.
But I have the install script create the legacy sd mount point ( /system/sd ) which makes CM5 compatible with RA <= 1.6.2... so you don't need to worry about it, just laugh at anyone that tells you that you *must* update to 1.7.0​
  • SWAP
ahh swap, I like swap *but* in CM5 it behaves very different to what we all knew and loved.. don't keep posting about it... maybe one day I will look at the kernel and try and revert it, but I fear we would lose the 'good stuff'​
  • A2SD
A2SD changed in CM5, its not on by default turn it on via Settings --> Applications​
What is different in AnySPL and Stock CM5.0.8?
short answer, the least I could get away with
Better answer,
two 'bug' fixes common to all SPL's ( Danger, mt3g and all of the NoneDanger SPLs ) + a 'make it fit' thing...
  1. /system/sd mount point ( for older recovery images )
  2. fix_permissions script ( the stock CM5.0.8 is still checking /system/sd I 'patched' it to check /sd-ext )
  3. /system/xbin is a sqf ( squash fs, had to do this to make it all fit NoneDanger, basically tests1->7 had an xbin.sqf, no idea why final doesn't )
  4. kernel modules now squashfs ( 5.0.8 Final )

None Danger SPL
as well as the above
  • redirect /system/media/bootanimation.zip to /data/local/
  • redirect all google apps from /system/app/ to /data/gapps/
  • bind mount /cache/dalvik-cache to /data/dalvik-cache*
* since we have a large cache partition on NoneDanger SPL it makes sense to do this
NB This is Not CacheHack, CacheHack involves mounting the /cache partition somewhere in the system folder, like it was system. It is not worth doing this with CM5 ( for one the space one cache is more useful for dalvik-cache )

Going further..
I have an 'all in one' patch which can be used to 'enhance' CM5 a little, just a couple of workarounds for Live Wallpapers and the Market Version of Facebook

Posts to this thread
Please try to keep the posts in this thread relevant to its target, i.e. NoneDanger SPLs
General CM5 comments should go to CM5.0.7/8 OP
However, I am particularly interested in knowing if anyone has any loss of USB connectivity which requires a reboot to resolve. That seems to be a common problem with CM5, yet I have not experienced it and I wonder if it has anything to do with me not using Danger SPL
Oh, swap.. don't clutter up CM5.0.7/8 thread with swap questions, instead have your say here

Lastly, enjoy, this is a great ROM, all thanks to Cyanogen & Co

Historic Links

FR-CM-5.0.8-DS-test1-AnySPL_S.zip
FR-CM-5.0.7-DS-AnySPL_S.zip
FR-CM5test4-4AnySPL_S.zip
FR-CM5test5-4AnySPL_S.zip
FR-CM5test6-4AnySPL_S.zip
FR-CM5test7-4AnySPL_S.zip

Last edited:

Firerat

Feb 24, 2009
How I made CM5 NoneDanger Flashable

Its quite simple really, I get the updater-script to run a script which figures out if the phone is NoneDanger, then makes so symlinks to redirect the google apps/bootanimation.zip

I inserted the bold into the updater script
Code:
show_progress(0.200000, 10);
ui_print("Installing system...");
format("MTD", "system");
[B]ui_print("Check for NoneDangerSPL...");
package_extract_file("InstallPrep.sh", "/tmp/InstallPrep.sh");
set_perm(0, 0, 0777, "/tmp/InstallPrep.sh");
run_program("/tmp/InstallPrep.sh");
ui_print("Check for NoneDangerSPL complete");[/B]
mount("MTD", "system", "/system");
show_progress(0.500000, 40);

and this is the script which runs
( I'll come back and add some comments to it.. maybe )
InstallPrep.sh
Code:
#!/sbin/sh

gogogo ()
{
mount /cache
Block4=`df |grep block4|awk '$0 { print $2 }'|head -n1`
if [ `expr $Block4 \/ 1024` -lt "67" ];
then
	Danger
elif [ `expr $Block4 \/ 1024` -gt "67" ];
then
	MT3G
else
	NoneDanger
fi
}

PrepBase ()
{
	mount /system
	if [ ! -d /system/sd ];
	then
		mkdir /system/sd
	fi
	mount -a
return
}	

banner ()
{
if [ ! -d /system/etc/init.d ];
then
	install -d /system/etc/init.d
fi

cat > /system/etc/init.d/00ndbanner << "EOF"
#!/system/bin/sh
#
# indicate tainted
L="log -p i -t cm"
$L "
    )                (                                
 ( /(                )\ )                             
 )\())            ( (()/(     )       (  (    (  (    
((_)\  (   (     ))\ /(_)) ( /(  (    )\))(  ))\ )(   
 _((_) )\  )\ ) /((_|_))_  )(_)) )\ )((_))\ /((_|()\  
| \| |((_)_(_/((_))  |   \((_)_ _(_/( (()(_|_))  ((_) 
| .\` / _ \ ' \)) -_) | |) / _\` | ' \)) _\` |/ -_)| '_| 
|_|\_\___/_||_|\___| |___/\__,_|_||_|\__, |\___||_|   
                                     |___/"
EOF
chmod 700 /system/etc/init.d/00ndbanner
return
}

Danger ()
{
PrepBase
echo "no action required"
return
}

MT3G ()
{
PrepBase
echo "no action required"
return
}

NoneDanger ()
{
PrepBase
install -d /data/local
install -d /system/media
for i in bootanimation.zip;do
	ln -s /data/local/$i /system/media/$i
done
mkdir /data/gapps
install -d /system/app
for i in BugReport.apk EnhancedGoogleSearchProvider.apk GenieWidget.apk Gmail.apk GmailProvider.apk GoogleApps.apk GoogleBackupTransport.apk GoogleCheckin.apk GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk GooglePartnerSetup.apk GoogleSettingsProvider.apk GoogleSubscribedFeedsProvider.apk gtalkservice.apk LatinImeTutorial.apk Maps.apk MarketUpdater.apk MediaUploader.apk NetworkLocation.apk PassionQuickOffice.apk SetupWizard.apk Street.apk Talk.apk TalkProvider.apk Vending.apk VoiceSearch.apk YouTube.apk Gallery.apk;do
	ln -s /data/gapps/$i /system/app/$i
done
cat > /dev/10bind-dc << "EOF"
#!/system/bin/sh
if [ -e /cache/dalvik-cache ] && [ ! -d /cache/dalvik-cache ];
then
    rm /cache/dalvik-cache
fi

if [ ! -d /cache/dalvik-cache ];
then
    install -m 771 -o 1000 -g 1000 -d /cache/dalvik-cache
fi

rm /data/dalvik-cache/*
busybox mount -o bind /cache/dalvik-cache /data/dalvik-cache
EOF
install -m 700 -D /dev/10bind-dc /system/etc/init.d/10bind-dc
banner 
return
}

# ok, lets start
gogogo
exit 0

Last edited:

Firerat

Feb 24, 2009
Firerat, any plans to do your thing to other CM5 based roms like Superbad or Super E like you did with the original and Cannon's?

nope, I have no plans to install every themed CM5 ROM
but
Post #2 has everything that is required to make an AnySPL version

the InstallPrep.sh script may need a little bit of tweaking if much has been added to /system

FatBoyExtraordinaire

Jun 24, 2008
Philadelphia
nope, I have no plans to install every themed CM5 ROM
but
Post #2 has everything that is required to make an AnySPL version

the InstallPrep.sh script may need a little bit of tweaking if much has been added to /system

Nor did I expect you to, before long there will be about 15 different offshoots of CM. I just wanted to know if I should be adding this thread to my other XDA bookmarks just in case you decided to do any updates or test out other roms. Appreciations.

CM5.0.8 test 1 added

And that's why I bookmarked the thread! ;) Thank you so very kindly.

Last edited:

elfasito

Mar 3, 2010
FC (in g1), sounds are audible in the front speaker (low sound) , in experimental 5.0.8 and FR-CM-5.0.7-DS-AnySPL_S.
This may be the cause?

Last edited:

can teh man

Jun 5, 2010
Michigan
I registered to post this here.

Flashed the rom, lovin it.

Running FR-CM-5.0.7-DS-AnySPL

I'm having the same as elfasito.

Sound comes from front earpiece speaker, rear speaker does not work

FC (in g1), sounds are audible in the front speaker (low sound) , in experimental 5.0.8 and FR-CM-5.0.7-DS-AnySPL_S.
This may be the cause?

I can confirm that audio is messed up on FR-CM5test6-4AnySPL_S.zip as well.

This isn't really a dealbreaker, but it certainly is annoying. If you could fix this, I will donate to either you or Cyanogen, your choice Dev.

Last edited:

Firerat

Feb 24, 2009
Posts to this thread
Please try to keep the posts in this thread relevant to its target, i.e. NoneDanger SPLs
General CM5 comments should go to CM5.0.7 OP
However, I am particularly interested in knowing if anyone has any loss of USB connectivity which requires a reboot to resolve. That seems to be a common problem with CM5, yet I have not experienced it and I wonder if it has anything to do with me not using Danger SPL
Oh, swap.. don't clutter up CM5.0.7 thread with swap questions, instead have your say here

This may be the cause?

I registered to post this here.

Flashed the rom, lovin it.

Running FR-CM-5.0.7-DS-AnySPL

I'm having the same as elfasito.

Sound comes from front earpiece speaker, rear speaker does not work

has nothing to do with the redirection of bootanimation.zip or the google apps

elfasito

Mar 3, 2010
has nothing to do with the redirection of bootanimation.zip or the google apps

In this case, where the problem might reside speaker?.
FC apparently occurs only in these edited versions.
or at least reading the threads of the original rom cyanogeno, no one has the same problem.
anyway good job Firerats, you gave me eclair without risk of losing my g1 in the process :), I hope the problem will be resolved soon

sllim-kun

Jan 25, 2009
laLAland
Awesome Firerat!

You my friend have allowed me to try 2.1 on my phone. kudos. but i to am experiencing the usb connectivity problem. happened when I attempted to tether via usb...

Firerat

Feb 24, 2009
You my friend have allowed me to try 2.1 on my phone. kudos. but i to am experiencing the usb connectivity problem. happened when I attempted to tether via usb...

this is a general CM5 issue,
it seems to happen after using a wall charger, don't use a wall charger
CM5.0.8 test1's Kernel is suppose to resolve it, I have noticed heavy battery drain with 508test1, but turning wifi off does seem to help

Firerat

Feb 24, 2009
In this case, where the problem might reside speaker?.
FC apparently occurs only in these edited versions.
or at least reading the threads of the original rom cyanogeno, no one has the same problem.
anyway good job Firerats, you gave me eclair without risk of losing my g1 in the process :), I hope the problem will be resolved soon

tell you what,

you tell me how the fact that google apps are on data and not system causes your problem and I will have a good hard look at resolving it

Kid_Ding

Oct 27, 2006
Clackamas, OR
tell you what,

you tell me how the fact that google apps are on data and not system causes your problem and I will have a good hard look at resolving it

thank you Firerat for all your contributions! I've been wanting to try CM508 T1! I have not been experiencing any of the issues mentioned so far. This is so smooth! Thanks again :D

ericwong

Nov 9, 2009
Melbourne
www.portable.geek.nz
Battery drain issue

I upgraded my G1 from Android 1.6 to CM 5.0.7 . Even though I run the same apk as Android 1.6, CM 5.0.7 drain my battery from 100% to 0% in about 10hr (wifi off).

Anyone else notice this issue as well?
I found in cyanogenmod forum that others are reporting the same issue but there is no mention on this thread....
(CyanogenMod Forum > Stable MOD > HTC Dream / HTC Magic -> Severe Battery Drain with CM5 )

I am still trying to figure out how to fix this, otherwise, I have no choice but to go back to Android 1.6.

Btw, CM 5.0.7 runs slower than the official ADP1 derived Android1.6 rom, espeically when returning to the homescreen, takes forever to load.

Last edited:

FatBoyExtraordinaire

Jun 24, 2008
Philadelphia
I found in cyanogenmod forum that others are reporting the same issue but there is no mention on this thread...

Firerat has made this thread for all of us without the want/desire to go the DangerSPL route to be able to experience CM5. It's the same exact rom, just reconfigured to work on any spl, so that's why you see no (or shouldn't see many) mentions of issues with the rom here. It's best to check the official CM5 thread because others in that thread may be able to help with similar issues and this thread is more for Firerat keeping us up to date with his AnySPL versions. Hope that helps a little.

lbcoder

Jan 21, 2009
Minor note:
These patches work just fine for 508T3 still, no modification required.
Easiest way to patch is to just copy FR's InstallPrep.sh and update-script from the 508T1 package into CM's 508T3 package and re-sign.

zim2dive

Feb 15, 2007
NC
Minor note:
These patches work just fine for 508T3 still, no modification required.
Easiest way to patch is to just copy FR's InstallPrep.sh and update-script from the 508T1 package into CM's 508T3 package and re-sign.

I made my own as well.. it installed, so I think it was correct.. I saw the messages about checking for NoneDanger, altho that was all I noticed, so I believe that confirms I got the modified updater-script to run.

But I seem to have an issue with gapps... posted in the CM5 thread.. any help appreciated. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=6739940&postcount=1171

I'm not convinced I got Installprep to run correctly... when I look in /data/gapps, I don't see links.. (using ls -al, unless they are displayed differently than in every unix I've used)

perhaps if my wipe was not complete.. and the apks were still there, then the linking would fail... and thus the problem I'm seeing?

The 00ndbanner does exist in /system/etc/init.d, so that suggests InstallPrep did run, and we're back to some issue with my wipes. I will rewipe and try again.

EDIT:
Wipe <-- that is up to you, if you don't and it goes all screwy... wipe everything
that was it.. all seems good after factory reset wipe and reinstall.

Last edited: