Walkman app

Search This thread

kamalaggi

Feb 4, 2008
Hi,

I just sold my iPhone 5s and ordered the Xperia Z2 online.

Is the Walkman app able to play the iTunes m4a format and show the artist, song title, album name, artwork etc. I have over 4000 songs in my iTunes library. All my songs are DRM-free.

I would rather not covert these to mp3 as it would result is loss of sound quality.

Thanks

Jackos

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 26, 2008
Warsaw
leidel.pl
OnePlus Open
Hi,

Is the Walkman app able to play the iTunes m4a format and show the artist, song title, album name, artwork etc. I have over 4000 songs in my iTunes library. All my songs are DRM-free.

I would rather not covert these to mp3 as it would result is loss of sound quality.

Thanks
According to the White paper the Z2 is not able to play this format.

Ref: http://dl-developer.sonymobile.com/documentation/whitepapers/Xperia_Z2_D6502_D6503_D6543_WP_3.pdf

Last edited:

nreuge

Apr 22, 2013
Saint-Nazaire
Hi,

Thanks

m4a (or aac) is obviously read by walkman. All my music is in m4a format :)

nreuge

Apr 22, 2013
Saint-Nazaire
I received my Z2 in post this morning and copied all songs to memory card. All tag info is there apart from album art. Is there any way to get the album art to show?

Yes, there're two methods do to it:
1- Menu: "download music infos" (it can be quite long)
or
2- Listen to an album, select "modifiy music infos" and select the image that is in the album folder.

dan13l

Aug 3, 2005
I believe iTunes stores album artwork slightly differently. It doesn't embed the artwork into the mp3/4 file itself, but rather stores a link to the album art. I guess this means you only have to store album art once per album, rather than once per track. However I've found it breaks compatibility with other apps, as you're finding here.

When you grab album art from within the walkman app, it's embedding it in the mp3/4 file, which is why that works.

Some useful info here: https://discussions.apple.com/message/22652504#22652504

You can use a script if you're on a mac to embed everything, or you can manually embed the artwork in each file, which will then worth fine on your xperia.

hasona

Dec 22, 2010
Malmo
Back in th days when I went from my iPhone 4 to Android I found that Album art Grabber was the best and fastest choice for me. The iTunes covers didn't work so I used this method instead. It might take some time but it is worth it

kamalaggi

Feb 4, 2008
All sorted now.

I used the free version of mediamonkey which found all the artwork automatically.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

JanM RS

Apr 6, 2013
Hi,

Thanks

Yes, just copy to sdcard... works perfect and shows album cover on my Xperia Z with WALKMAN (best music player!! :D)

acheney1990

Oct 29, 2013
Saint Stephen
This was my issue when switching from iPhone to Android as well. I went with Google Music All Access and uploaded all my songs and this way I can get whatever songs I want.

Sent From My Xperia Z2.