CWM defaults to wrongs sd card

Search This thread

ETM

Feb 26, 2008
Using CWM v6.0.4.5 and CM11 on a Nook Tablet 8.

I've been playing with CM 10.1 and 10.2, installing everything manually
with CWM5x. Recently updated CWM and am now running CM11. (no TWRP).

For the first time I am trying to install nightlies using Settings/AboutTablet/CyanogenModUpdates. It downloads then reboots to CWM. CWM then cannot find the update (E:failed to open /storage/sdcard0/cmupdater/cm-11-...) because in the first step of the updater leaves the zip on sdcard1:
(/storage/sdcard1/cmupdater/cm-11-...) I can manually install the zip from sdcard1 but I want to get the automated update to complete as intended.

I tried to begin the process with no SD card installed thinking that sdcard0 is internal but the download just waits until a SD card is inserted. Since I installed CWM6 I have the ability to choose from sdcards 0 and 1. Don't remember having that choice before.

Any ideas how I can get the download destination and the CWM to default to the same drive?

Last edited:

newbtrigger69

Aug 14, 2013
Miami
Using CWM v6.0.4.5 and CM11 on a Nook Tablet 8.

I've been playing with CM 10.1 and 10.2, installing everything manually
with CWM5x. Recently updated CWM and am now running CM11. (no TWRP).

For the first time I am trying to install nightlies using Settings/AboutTablet/CyanogenModUpdates. It downloads then reboots to CWM. CWM then cannot find the update (E:failed to open /storage/sdcard0/cmupdater/cm-11-...) because in the first step of the updater leaves the zip on sdcard1:
(/storage/sdcard1/cmupdater/cm-11-...) I can manually install the zip from sdcard1 but I want to get the automated update to complete as intended.

I tried to begin the process with no SD card installed thinking that sdcard0 is internal but the download just waits until a SD card is inserted. Since I installed CWM6 I have the ability to choose from sdcards 0 and 1. Don't remember having that choice before.

Any ideas how I can get the download destination and the CWM to default to the same drive?

i personally have never been able to download a cm update and let it update automatically. if i do, it turns into a bootloop or something crazy. i jus use the cm update to download. and then instal via cwm. also the previous cwm DID have the "storage 1 or storage 0: choices but it was called instead, "choose sd card" or "choose internal storage" sd card meaning the "1" and internal meaning the "0". i mean from wut i understand the structure of the system in NT doesnt really allow auto update. because it has to work around the stock barnes and noble bootloader. unlike the nook color where its capable of auto update. so basically u always have to manual update unless ive got my hands on a demon tablet.

Mar 26, 2012
More detail

Mine worked fine ... even w/ CM11 until I did a factory reset (prior to that I just cleared cache and davlik) ... now I have to install from CMUpdater folder manually ... also - some of the apps that were available prior to the factory reset will not show up in the play store now - TV Guide and Playmaker (buzztime trivia) specifically ... says I have an incompatible device now ... again this worked fine w/ the early nightlies of CM11, but not since the factory reset.

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
Mine worked fine ... even w/ CM11 until I did a factory reset (prior to that I just cleared cache and davlik) ... now I have to install from CMUpdater folder manually ... also - some of the apps that were available prior to the factory reset will not show up in the play store now - TV Guide and Playmaker (buzztime trivia) specifically ... says I have an incompatible device now ... again this worked fine w/ the early nightlies of CM11, but not since the factory reset.
You might want to check (from your PC) Google Play Store -> Settings -> My Devices and see if your NT appears as different models before and after the factory reset.

I had a similar problem in that after the upgrade from 10.2.0 to 11 some apps became unavailable ("incompatible") in the Play Store, include a few already installed apps that still run just fine after the "dirty" flash of 11 on top of 10.2!!!

Mar 26, 2012
You might want to check (from your PC) Google Play Store -> Settings -> My Devices and see if your NT appears as different models before and after the factory reset.

I had a similar problem in that after the upgrade from 10.2.0 to 11 some apps became unavailable ("incompatible") in the Play Store, include a few already installed apps that still run just fine after the "dirty" flash of 11 on top of 10.2!!!

Interesting ... it shows the nook tablet, but says it was last used in August ... what if anything can be done about this?

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
Interesting ... it shows the nook tablet, but says it was last used in August ... what if anything can be done about this?
Another potential factor at play here is that somewhere between 10.1 and 11 (I can't recall which release) the serial number of the NT no longer gets picked up by CM (and presumably passed onto apps/services that might use it for tracking purpose).

Mar 26, 2012
Another potential factor at play here is that somewhere between 10.1 and 11 (I can't recall which release) the serial number of the NT no longer gets picked up by CM (and presumably passed onto apps/services that might use it for tracking purpose).

Can I do anything about it? The thing is basically a blank slate at this point because I haven't re-installed most of my apps ... if I'm going to mess with it in a major way now is the time.

ETM

Feb 26, 2008
Updating again and I find that the reason for it not working is that the drive designations are not consistent.

Running Android:
Internal storage is /storage/sdcard1
External SD card is /storage/sdcard0

Running CWM:
Internal storage is /storage/sdcard0
External SD card is /storage/sdcard1

So when settings/AboutTablet/CyanogenModUpdates passes the file location and reboots into CWM, the zip file can't be found.