4EXT Recovery Classic v2.2.7 RC6 | Convert | Aligned Partitioning 3x (ext|swap)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

madmaxx82

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 17, 2010
www.4ext.net
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Quick note about themes:

Available themes as of Oct/18:
Themes by pravus_nephilim
Themes by Apaquette420
Themes by Whiskey103
Themes by Amresh
Themes by Apaquette420
Themes by CWhitney24
Themes by DaMyth
Themes by Blindndumb

To uninstall any "flashed theme" and to revert to your own custom settings you had before flashing, just use this Theme Uninstaller in recovery.
It will clear any theme you might have flashed and revert to your own custom settings you had before flashing that theme!

All credits and my deepest respect go to Koush for his extremely great code!
Without him 4EXT Recovery wouldn't have been possible!
Biggest thanks possible go to Sebastiaan15 for his brilliant ideas and who spent whole weeks testing my buggy code with his Desire :)
Without you I could never have made it!!!

So BIG THANKS to SEBASTIAAN15 and KOUSH for his hard work with CWMR !!! :)
Many credits to the Desire S community ( especially to loveboatcaptain - LBC Mod Android Development and Marylandcookie ) for testing, very nice ideas, feature suggestions and helping to get the code running on the Desire S!
Special big thanks to RAVENNA from android-hilfe.de board for hours of testing for the Desire!
BIG Thanks to Hussainmushahid who helped me a lot spending much of time with solving a bug I could not reproduce on my device.
And many thanks to all users who reported and helped to identify problems ( can't any longer list all of you here since the list has grown too large :D )!

Even more thanks to people who 've bought me some beer :) YOU ROCK!! ZEEKIZ, A USER, PHILOS64, STEVEATHOME, PREACHER65, BEN_PYETT, ULTRA DROID, PTR_HAMILTON, BEANBEAN50, SEBASTIAAN15 and LOVEBOATCAPTAIN

v2.2.6 RC4 Released: Oct/01

• Rare Superuser problem when tar backups were enabled (disabled by default) was fixed.
  • Converting partitions between ext3 and ext4 without data loss now correctly calculates the space needed to successfully complete the operation
  • New option: check and optionally repair the file system on your sdcard (fat32)
  • Removed duplicate format cache option inside the format menu (wipe cache does the same)
  • When formatting fat32 it will now save your 4ext.prop settings and restore them afterwards
  • Changed partitioning of the sdcard to not use LBA mode for new fat32 partitions as requested by Ghiki
  • Added new size option (128mb) to the partitioning menu per request
  • Parted is no longer used to format fat32 in the partition menu
    -> This solves a bug where sometimes the creation of the fat32 file system failed and produces better quality results​
  • 4EXT Recovery themes should now stay when formatting /system or flashing new roms
  • New option: format /sdcard fat32
  • New 4EXT Recovery Control API because I'm forced to drop "extendedcommand" (see App for the reason why)
    enables file names and directories to include spaces for installations​

calculates needed space to complete a full or advanced backup at the beginning of the backup.​

This ensures that you are not left with a non working backup.​
  • Size for recovery greatly reduced

New 4EXT Recovery Control Features

• Please see www.4ext.net for more.
  • Fix permissions
  • Calculate real values for the space needed to create a new full or advanced backup

Advanced Backups: While you are selecting / deselecting partitions, it will display and update the currently needed space to complete that custom backup set.
  • As an example, the following would be possible to do in just one session:
    Restore a backup, set to create a backup / advanced backup before the restore,
    format all partitions with a file system of your choice before the restore process starts,
    flash additional zip files afterwards, fix permissions and select to stay inside recovery or to reboot automatically once all actions are complete.​

Features: Use 4EXT Recovery Control or Recovery Updater for complete Changelogs and Known issues!

not all features may be relevant for all devices

Displays additional information:
  • Identifies your current rom and displays its name
  • Current filesystems on your partitions
  • Free space remaining of all of your volumes
  • Current battery charge level

Backup | Restore:
  • Correctly calculates free space needed to complete a backup ( version > 2.2.6 RC4 )
  • Tar backups (can be switched on or off)
  • Complete CWMR5 compatibility
  • All Backups you create will be named after your currently installed Rom for easier identification.
  • Never unwillingly get "downgraded" to EXT3 again
  • Always restores backups using the file systems you HAD on your partitions at the time of creation!
    -> all partitions formatted with ext4 at that time, will be restored to ext4. The same is true for ext3.​
  • You can manually change any existing Backup to ext4 or ext3
    -> so that after a restore, all partitions and up with the file system you wanted!​
  • Advanced Backup: backup only a single partition
  • Convert any of your partitions to EXT4 or EXT3 without data loss.

Formatting:
  • When you wipe or format it will always use the same file system you currently have.
    -> but you can change that​
  • When you format ext4 it will always create an aligned file system
  • Correctly identifies unformatted sd-ext partitions
    -> if it finds one it displays a warning and suggests you may format them by visiting the 4EXT menu​
  • Filesystem check and repair option in advanced menu

Partitioning:
  • Alignment check of your partitions
  • Full support for up to 2 sd-ext partitions + swap (Backup/restore/format/convert, fsck, et.c.)
  • (RE-) Partition your sdcard for sd-ext without removing your fat32 partition.
  • All partitions created with 4EXTRecovery will be perfectly aligned to 4k

Installing:
  • Integrated md5sum checking option

Themes:
  • Customize all colours used throughout recovery
  • Use your own icons, background images, progress bars.. more to come.
  • Assign different backgrounds to different menu categories (version >= 2.1.2)
  • Create a flashable zip for others to flash your theme.

Menus:
  • Most popular menu items rearranged
  • Format menu
  • Power Menu + option to reboot into bootloader
  • Less "No's" in confirmation dialogues
  • Changed Advanced Restore: first select what you want to restore, then select the backup
    -> Useful for restoring from "Advanced Backups"​

4ext.prop:
  • Configuration file on your sdcard where you can set options to be used by 4EXTRecovery
  • Change all settings conveniently with 4EXT Recovery Control
  • Many more options to come
  • Share your settings / themes by packing your config into a flashable theme

Other stuff:
  • USB Storage Autostart (must be switched on)
  • Mount usb storage exposes all partitions on your sdcard to the os (not just fat32)
    -> you could even partition your sdcard from your PC while connected via USB​
  • Switch haptic feedback on/off
  • You don't need to reboot recovery if you transferred a file to show up in the install menu.
    -> This bug affected only some users with either CWMR or previous versions of 4EXT.​
  • Button backlights (Desire S, Desire HD and Incredible S only)

Download:

• All downloads are now available through 4EXT Recovery Updater. It's free, no ads, no tracking, no nothing, don't worry :)
    .. and of course via 4EXT Recovery Control
  • This ensures that your downloads are ok by automatically verifying md5sums and that known issues and changelogs are easily accessible
  • It also notifies you when there are any new critical bugs found
  • Recovery images will be uploaded for download soon too, but they can also be acquired easily by using Updater or Control.
  • You can for example just download a recovery.zip containing the image. The download will be automatically verified for correct md5sums!

4EXT Recovery Control

For a list of its many features, visit www.4ext.net

Some examples :
  • Flash as many zip files you want in one go
  • Automatically Calculate and display the md5sums of all zip files you are going to flash
  • Check your backups' health to ensure they will restore later when you need them, by verifying their md5sums!
  • Optionally, but highly not recommended:
    If md5sums don't match but you REALLY NEED that backup BADLY, you might want to restore it anyway.
    You can you this app to fix the md5sums of a given backup to "forcefully" restore it!​
  • Calculate real values for the space needed to create a new full or advanced backup

Advanced Backups: While you are selecting / deselecting partitions, it will display and update the currently needed space to complete that custom backup set.​
  • Identifies and adds your romname so you don't need to type so much when chosing a meaningful name for your backup
  • As an example, the following is possible to do in just one session:
    format all partitions with a file system of your choice before the restore process starts,
    flash additional zip files afterwards, fix permissions and select to stay inside recovery or to reboot automatically once all actions are complete.​
  • Much, much more! See www.4ext.net :)

Recovery theming
  • Uninstall and Install themes with live preview and the option to change their colours without the need to reboot into recovery.
  • Change all colours with live preview and a nice colour picker.

Desire GSM :

• 4EXTRecovery v2.1.3 RC2
    -> Download to flash through HBOOT. Put it onto your sdcard, rename it to "PB99IMG.zip" and boot into bootloader

NOTE: Always take a look at known issues!

Desire GSM & CDMA:

Attachments

• 3q6v6de.jpg
    3q6v6de.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 353,048
Last edited:

keyra74

Aug 6, 2009
installed and for now it works
just used it to change my rom and wipe cache/dalvik but i'll test ext4 and stuff later today
the weird thing is that it says i have 1gb swap partition but it's in fact the ext4 partition since i use app2sd with lot of apps

Reactions: beanbean50

bugfix2k

Jul 14, 2008
Stockholm
skoldnet.se
Tried using this and at first it detected my ext3 partition and everything seemed fine. I made a backup and chose to convert sd-ext to ext4 on that backup at next restore.

Made a full wipe and restore from the latest backup. After reboot this recovery now detected my sd-ext as a 512MB swap and refused to restore ext-data to it.

I had to go back to CWM 3.1.0.1 and do a full wipe -> restore to get my system up and running again.

Did I do something wrong, or did I not understand how the recovery is supposed to work?

beanbean50

Jul 9, 2008
London
it didn't quite work for me, I'm using RCmix S V2 3.1 test
tried flashing it through ROM Manager Premium v4.3.2.4 (2.5.0.7)

-- Installing: SDCARD:/4EXTRecovery_v1.9_RC1_bravo.zip
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...
4EXTRecovery v1..0 RC1
Installing..

assert failed: write_raw_image("/tmp/recovery.img"_
"recovery")
E: Error in /sdcard/4EXTRecovery_v1.9.0_RC1_bravo.zip
(Status 7)
Install aborted.

it's probably something that I'm doing wrong rather than the program itself though....

tekarn

Aug 12, 2009

Installing update...
4EXTRecovery v1..0 RC1
Installing..

"recovery")
(Status 7)
Install aborted.

it's probably something that I'm doing wrong rather than the program itself though....

I get the same message...

Reactions: TRMG76

keyra74

Aug 6, 2009
looks like it doesn't see my ext when i use cm7_legacy_a2sd_r3, dunno why, it works with CM 4.0.0.5

bestdaniel20

Jun 8, 2010
Targu Ocna

Installing update...
4EXTRecovery v1..0 RC1
Installing..

"recovery")
(Status 7)
Install aborted.

try like this : http://theunlockr.com/2009/10/15/how-to-flash-a-new-recovery-image-if-you-are-already-rooted/

madmaxx82

Jan 17, 2010
www.4ext.net
thanks, but when I try that i get "error writing recovery: no space left on device"
I´m S-ON. Do you have to be S-OFF for this?

Yes, most probably..
To you who are S-ON what do you use? Fake flash?
Sorry I don't know much about the desire.

Regarding the Bug identifying sd-ext as swap: can it be that the partition types are mixed up with some of you? I mean swap not being the LAST one?

I always thought with all those a2sd techinques, you would partition swap at last, i.e: fat32,ext,ext,swap, or fat32,ext,swap, or fat32,swap

If it's possible that you have fat32,swap,ext,ext or something like that, the recovery won't work right!

bugfix2k

Jul 14, 2008
Stockholm
skoldnet.se
Yes, most probably..
To you who are S-ON what do you use? Fake flash?
Sorry I don't know much about the desire.

Regarding the Bug identifying sd-ext as swap: can it be that the partition types are mixed up with some of you? I mean swap not being the LAST one?

I always thought with all those a2sd techinques, you would partition swap at last, i.e: fat32,ext,ext,swap, or fat32,ext,swap, or fat32,swap

If it's possible that you have fat32,swap,ext,ext or something like that, the recovery won't work right!

I don't have swap. I only have one ext partition at 512MB.

The partitions that were detected on my device were initially:
Data - ext4
Cache - ext4
sdcard - fat32
sd-ext - ext3

Then after I tried to convert sd-ext to ext4 using a restore method (supported by the recovery?) my partitions were detected as:
Data - ext4
Cache - ext4
sdcard - fat32
swap - swap

I have no idea what this means.. and I can't really help you with bugtracking coz I need my phone up and running during daytime :p

Reactions: madmaxx82

madmaxx82

Jan 17, 2010
www.4ext.net
Tried using this and at first it detected my ext3 partition and everything seemed fine. I made a backup and chose to convert sd-ext to ext4 on that backup at next restore.

Made a full wipe and restore from the latest backup. After reboot this recovery now detected my sd-ext as a 512MB swap and refused to restore ext-data to it.

I had to go back to CWM 3.1.0.1 and do a full wipe -> restore to get my system up and running again.

Did I do something wrong, or did I not understand how the recovery is supposed to work?

This is strange indeed. This feature works without problems since many weeks.
Could you please tell me how your partition table looked like and what file system you had on your sd-ext partition that you migrated to ext4?

madmaxx82

Jan 17, 2010
www.4ext.net
I don't have swap. I only have one ext partition at 512MB.

The partitions that were detected on my device were initially:
Data - ext4
Cache - ext4
sdcard - fat32
sd-ext - ext3

Then after I tried to convert sd-ext to ext4 using a restore method (supported by the recovery?) my partitions were detected as:
Data - ext4
Cache - ext4
sdcard - fat32
swap - swap

I have no idea what this means.. and I can't really help you with bugtracking coz I need my phone up and running during daytime :p

It detected data cache as ext4?!?

That's a major bug then. I'm very sorry.. extremely strange that sebastiaan and me didn't find that one.
Will look into that..

Please anyone who discovers any bug, please use the menu item in advanced to copy recovery.log to sd-card and send me the log.

Thanks in advance :)

I 'll take this recovery offline if it's like you say!

bugfix2k

Jul 14, 2008
Stockholm
skoldnet.se
It detected data cache as ext4?!?

That's a major bug then. I'm very sorry.. extremely strange that sebastiaan and me didn't find that one.
Will look into that..

Please anyone who discovers any bug, please use the menu item in advanced to copy recovery.log to sd-card and send me the log.

Thanks in advance :)

I 'll take this recovery offline if it's like you say!

I'll try it again and post the log then. Gimme a few mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    attachment.php
    attachment.php
    attachment.php

attachment.php
    attachment.php
    attachment.php
    attachment.php

Quick note about themes:

Available themes as of Oct/18:
    Themes by pravus_nephilim
    Themes by Apaquette420
    Themes by Whiskey103
    Themes by Amresh
    Themes by Apaquette420
    Themes by CWhitney24
    Themes by DaMyth
    Themes by Blindndumb

To uninstall any "flashed theme" and to revert to your own custom settings you had before flashing, just use this Theme Uninstaller in recovery.
    It will clear any theme you might have flashed and revert to your own custom settings you had before flashing that theme!

All credits and my deepest respect go to Koush for his extremely great code!
    Without him 4EXT Recovery wouldn't have been possible!
    Biggest thanks possible go to Sebastiaan15 for his brilliant ideas and who spent whole weeks testing my buggy code with his Desire :)
    Without you I could never have made it!!!

So BIG THANKS to SEBASTIAAN15 and KOUSH for his hard work with CWMR !!! :)
    Many credits to the Desire S community ( especially to loveboatcaptain - LBC Mod Android Development and Marylandcookie ) for testing, very nice ideas, feature suggestions and helping to get the code running on the Desire S!
    Special big thanks to RAVENNA from android-hilfe.de board for hours of testing for the Desire!
    BIG Thanks to Hussainmushahid who helped me a lot spending much of time with solving a bug I could not reproduce on my device.
    And many thanks to all users who reported and helped to identify problems ( can't any longer list all of you here since the list has grown too large :D )!

Even more thanks to people who 've bought me some beer :) YOU ROCK!! ZEEKIZ, A USER, PHILOS64, STEVEATHOME, PREACHER65, BEN_PYETT, ULTRA DROID, PTR_HAMILTON, BEANBEAN50, SEBASTIAAN15 and LOVEBOATCAPTAIN

v2.2.6 RC4 Released: Oct/01

• Rare Superuser problem when tar backups were enabled (disabled by default) was fixed.
    • Converting partitions between ext3 and ext4 without data loss now correctly calculates the space needed to successfully complete the operation
    • New option: check and optionally repair the file system on your sdcard (fat32)
    • Removed duplicate format cache option inside the format menu (wipe cache does the same)
    • When formatting fat32 it will now save your 4ext.prop settings and restore them afterwards
    • Changed partitioning of the sdcard to not use LBA mode for new fat32 partitions as requested by Ghiki
    • Added new size option (128mb) to the partitioning menu per request
    • Parted is no longer used to format fat32 in the partition menu
      -> This solves a bug where sometimes the creation of the fat32 file system failed and produces better quality results​
    • 4EXT Recovery themes should now stay when formatting /system or flashing new roms
    • New option: format /sdcard fat32
    • New 4EXT Recovery Control API because I'm forced to drop "extendedcommand" (see App for the reason why)
      enables file names and directories to include spaces for installations​

calculates needed space to complete a full or advanced backup at the beginning of the backup.​

This ensures that you are not left with a non working backup.​
    • Size for recovery greatly reduced

New 4EXT Recovery Control Features

• Please see www.4ext.net for more.
    • Fix permissions

Advanced Backups: While you are selecting / deselecting partitions, it will display and update the currently needed space to complete that custom backup set.
    • As an example, the following would be possible to do in just one session:

Features: Use 4EXT Recovery Control or Recovery Updater for complete Changelogs and Known issues!

not all features may be relevant for all devices

Displays additional information:
    • Identifies your current rom and displays its name
    • Current filesystems on your partitions
    • Free space remaining of all of your volumes
    • Current battery charge level

Backup | Restore:
    • Correctly calculates free space needed to complete a backup ( version > 2.2.6 RC4 )
    • Tar backups (can be switched on or off)
    • Complete CWMR5 compatibility
    • All Backups you create will be named after your currently installed Rom for easier identification.
    • Never unwillingly get "downgraded" to EXT3 again
    • Always restores backups using the file systems you HAD on your partitions at the time of creation!
      -> all partitions formatted with ext4 at that time, will be restored to ext4. The same is true for ext3.​
    • You can manually change any existing Backup to ext4 or ext3
      -> so that after a restore, all partitions and up with the file system you wanted!​
    • Advanced Backup: backup only a single partition
    • Convert any of your partitions to EXT4 or EXT3 without data loss.

Formatting:
    • When you wipe or format it will always use the same file system you currently have.
      -> but you can change that​
    • When you format ext4 it will always create an aligned file system
    • Correctly identifies unformatted sd-ext partitions
      -> if it finds one it displays a warning and suggests you may format them by visiting the 4EXT menu​
    • Filesystem check and repair option in advanced menu

Partitioning:
    • Alignment check of your partitions
    • Full support for up to 2 sd-ext partitions + swap (Backup/restore/format/convert, fsck, et.c.)
    • (RE-) Partition your sdcard for sd-ext without removing your fat32 partition.
    • All partitions created with 4EXTRecovery will be perfectly aligned to 4k

Installing:
    • Integrated md5sum checking option

Themes:
    • Customize all colours used throughout recovery
    • Use your own icons, background images, progress bars.. more to come.
    • Assign different backgrounds to different menu categories (version >= 2.1.2)
    • Create a flashable zip for others to flash your theme.

Menus:
    • Most popular menu items rearranged
    • Format menu
    • Power Menu + option to reboot into bootloader
    • Less "No's" in confirmation dialogues
    • Changed Advanced Restore: first select what you want to restore, then select the backup
      -> Useful for restoring from "Advanced Backups"​

4ext.prop:
    • Configuration file on your sdcard where you can set options to be used by 4EXTRecovery
    • Change all settings conveniently with 4EXT Recovery Control
    • Many more options to come
    • Share your settings / themes by packing your config into a flashable theme

Other stuff:
    • USB Storage Autostart (must be switched on)
    • Mount usb storage exposes all partitions on your sdcard to the os (not just fat32)
      -> you could even partition your sdcard from your PC while connected via USB​
    • Switch haptic feedback on/off
    • You don't need to reboot recovery if you transferred a file to show up in the install menu.
      -> This bug affected only some users with either CWMR or previous versions of 4EXT.​
    • Button backlights (Desire S, Desire HD and Incredible S only)

Download:

• All downloads are now available through 4EXT Recovery Updater. It's free, no ads, no tracking, no nothing, don't worry :)
      .. and of course via 4EXT Recovery Control
    • This ensures that your downloads are ok by automatically verifying md5sums and that known issues and changelogs are easily accessible
    • It also notifies you when there are any new critical bugs found
    • Recovery images will be uploaded for download soon too, but they can also be acquired easily by using Updater or Control.
    • You can for example just download a recovery.zip containing the image. The download will be automatically verified for correct md5sums!

4EXT Recovery Control

For a list of its many features, visit www.4ext.net

Some examples :
    • Flash as many zip files you want in one go
    • Automatically Calculate and display the md5sums of all zip files you are going to flash
    • Check your backups' health to ensure they will restore later when you need them, by verifying their md5sums!
    • Optionally, but highly not recommended:
      If md5sums don't match but you REALLY NEED that backup BADLY, you might want to restore it anyway.
      You can you this app to fix the md5sums of a given backup to "forcefully" restore it!​

Advanced Backups: While you are selecting / deselecting partitions, it will display and update the currently needed space to complete that custom backup set.​
    • Identifies and adds your romname so you don't need to type so much when chosing a meaningful name for your backup
    • As an example, the following is possible to do in just one session:
    • Much, much more! See www.4ext.net :)

Recovery theming
    • Uninstall and Install themes with live preview and the option to change their colours without the need to reboot into recovery.
    • Change all colours with live preview and a nice colour picker.

Desire GSM :

• 4EXTRecovery v2.1.3 RC2
      -> Download to flash through HBOOT. Put it onto your sdcard, rename it to "PB99IMG.zip" and boot into bootloader

NOTE: Always take a look at known issues!

Desire GSM & CDMA:

4EXT Recovery Touch testing

Everyone who's online and would like to check out 4EXT Recovery Touch for the Desire, please join irc freenode #4ext_bravo

It's final, but I'd like it to be tested before releasing it by a few users.

If you don't have an irc client, just use the webchat:

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=4ext_bravo&uio=d4

See you there ;)
    Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on the next "bigger" release where I hope to include most/all the requests you've made, dropping parted completely, changing detection of volumes, improved startup time et.c. and some more features and theming options.

For the meanwhile, here is a very small update, because some of you are in need of more different sizes for partitioning.
    There is also a new option in the 4EXT menu where you can reload your themes.
    This might be most useful for themers who don't need to reboot recovery all the time now just to see any changes they have made.

You would need to remove the last line of the updater-scripts of the flashable themes, because this line reboots recovery automatically.

Anyone who doesn't need that, really doesn't need to upgrade..

Update: due to a missing "," :D there was a very strange size to chose from in the partition menu. Sorry, here is the fixed update:

Desire GSM different versions, pick one of them:

4EXTRecovery_v2.1.1b_bravo.zip, md5sum: 4c2c70f97286186b7296a510172fe93f
    extract and use AndroidFlasher or fastboot to flash recovery.img

4EXTRecovery_v2.1.1_bravo_OneClick.zip, md5sum: e003d2b585e11c8b963e4b888bf21734
    extract, turn on usb debugging, start runme.cmd/runme.sh (windows user/linux user)

PB99IMG_2.1.1_bravo.zip, md5sum: 2bb7e78ffdbf2c14be62218300f964bf
    rename to PB99IMG.zip and put it on your sdcard, start into bootloader and let it install

Desire CDMA different versions, pick one of them:

4EXTRecovery_v2.1.1_bravoc.zip, md5sum: 5561b36023aca4b90732f782a11fc845
    extract and use AndroidFlasher or fastboot to flash recovery.img

4EXTRecovery_v2.1.1_bravoc_OneClick.zip, md5sum: df2f7293f6aa39adaa9d3dd9985ef9f2
    extract, turn on usb debugging, start runme.cmd/runme.sh (windows user/linux user)

update.zip, md5sum: d631c869dd239326c13b145cdf62e554
    fake flash version for s-on users.
    Thank you all very much :)

Hi Madmaxx82
    why you don't add option set password into recovery for entry recovery?

Because of several reasons:

1. it doesn't make sense
    2. it's difficult to implement (where to store the password so that it doesn't get lost on flash/wipe/ et.c.. dump recovery.img, unpack, insert, repack and flash?)
    3. it makes the use of recovery very inconvenient.
    4. what about auto reboot into recovery, backup/restore/install and reboot initiated by rom manager or 4ext recovery control.. always enter a password?

Why it doesn't make sense:
    Flash another recovery and everything is ok again.
    Flash an RUU, extract backups from sdcard..

et.c et.c.

You would need an implementation at the bootloader level that also prevents fastboot from working before it wasn't unlocked by some pin/password.

Only then a recovery with password option would start to make some sense.