Damn Captivate

Search This thread

UMGixxer

Jun 30, 2008
Well all has been fairly well with my cappy up until yesterday. Out of nowhere my freaking power button stopped working, so when I get a text message I cant unlock the phone to view it. I had to plug it into the charger or wait for an incoming call to unlock the phone which sucks. Good news is that the custom rom I have installed allowed me to use my volume keys to unlock the phone but still no power button to reboot or anything. Even with a battery pull the phone just automatically boots up when I put the battery back in but oh well. On the good side, I will have my HOX very soon, on the bad side I wont be able to sell my cappy since the power button is tripping. Hopefully it will fix itself over the next few days so I can sell it. Even more reason that I need my HOX asap.

s.m.knipe

Aug 2, 2009
Shepherdstown, WV
Well all has been fairly well with my cappy up until yesterday. Out of nowhere my freaking power button stopped working, so when I get a text message I cant unlock the phone to view it. I had to plug it into the charger or wait for an incoming call to unlock the phone which sucks. Good news is that the custom rom I have installed allowed me to use my volume keys to unlock the phone but still no power button to reboot or anything. Even with a battery pull the phone just automatically boots up when I put the battery back in but oh well. On the good side, I will have my HOX very soon, on the bad side I wont be able to sell my cappy since the power button is tripping. Hopefully it will fix itself over the next few days so I can sell it. Even more reason that I need my HOX asap.

Funny thing, I gave my old Captivate to my mother since she never uses the GPS anyways, and last night she texted me about the same thing. She said it has been doing this for a month at least... funny two of them would start acting up at about the same time- nearing upgrade time (but not quite there yet ;) , and shortly before the announcement for the GSIII...
I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but it is notable...

UMGixxer

Jun 30, 2008
Oh I am one to believe that things tend to run out of juice on purpose. Just like cars, they tend to mess up right as the warranty expires lol

x3phyr

Jul 8, 2010
Saranac, Michigan
this happened to me as well, in mid january. This is why my captivate is now officially retired. Thrown at the cement as hard as I possibly could retired. The charging port also stopped working so it was useless and I felt like taking out the anger it caused rather than parting it out.

I took mine apart, and blew out the lock button with compressed air and that worked alright for a bit, until it ended up stopping working completely and I mapped the volume up rocker to wake the phone. That worked for awhile.

SR4

Oct 22, 2010
I actually had something similar happen to me. My power button magically stopped working back about six months ago. It was somehow still under warranty, so I sent it in for repair. They repaired it and flashed it with their latest version of Froyo and I've never been able to flash a ROM since I've gotten it back.

It's been slowing down and crashing more lately and it's been driving me crazy. I really do believe in the conspiracies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

goob1284

Nov 24, 2010
I have the same issue... What I tried was to resolder the button to the board. I wish I had a heat gun though, that would definitely have made it work.

bnjmnalan

Jan 14, 2012
Bakersfield
My wifes button stopped working yesterday. It's there a diy fix for this? Sounds like it is becoming a common problem.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium

Wdustin1

Nov 19, 2010
Wichita, KS
Here is what I want to do. I want to completely disable my power button and use my volume down as a dedicated power button. I see everywhere about button remapper but I can't get it to work on ics. Anybody know how to manually do it. Or know of an app?

Believe me I have searched and tried just messing with it to figure it out no luck.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium

Last edited:

Garyth

Jan 4, 2011
I did the following, but I don't remember if on ICS at the time or not :/
I use a jig for 1sec to power on if completely turned off.
---------------------------------------------------------------

baksmali.jar and smali.jar
http://code.google.com/p/smali/downloads/list

1. Use adb to pull out /system/framework/android.policy.jar
2. Type the following command

java -jar baksmali.jar -x android.policy.jar -o android.policy

==================================================================

volume wake (doesn't unlock)

find section:

private isWakeKeyWhenKeyguardShowing(I)Z

delete lines:
0x18
0x19

6. Use the following command to compile the changes back

java -jar smali.jar android.policy -o classes.dex

7. Copy the newly made file classes.dex into android.policy.jar

open with 7zip (do not extract); drag new file into archive and close.

8. Push the file (android.policy.jar) to /sdcard

9. On your phone, do:

$ su
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
# cd /sdcard
# cp android.policy.jar /system/framework/android.policy.jar
# sync

Reactions: Wdustin1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I fix these buttons every day. Contact me if you need yours fixed.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=740022

That's the teardown my brother put up. It was his captivate, and he sent it down to me after he moved to verizon.

It's also the teardown I used, lol.
    I did the following, but I don't remember if on ICS at the time or not :/
    I use a jig for 1sec to power on if completely turned off.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

baksmali.jar and smali.jar
    http://code.google.com/p/smali/downloads/list

1. Use adb to pull out /system/framework/android.policy.jar
    2. Type the following command

java -jar baksmali.jar -x android.policy.jar -o android.policy

volume wake (doesn't unlock)

find section:

private isWakeKeyWhenKeyguardShowing(I)Z

delete lines:
    0x18
    0x19

6. Use the following command to compile the changes back

java -jar smali.jar android.policy -o classes.dex

7. Copy the newly made file classes.dex into android.policy.jar

open with 7zip (do not extract); drag new file into archive and close.

8. Push the file (android.policy.jar) to /sdcard

9. On your phone, do:

$ su
    # mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    # cd /sdcard
    # cp android.policy.jar /system/framework/android.policy.jar
    # sync