[Q] LG myTouch Root

Search This thread

Network24

Nov 26, 2011
Hi, I just purchased the new LG myTouch (all myTouches are now made by LG) from tmobile and I have been trying to root it with no luck. I have been trying to use superoneclick but it always gets to step 7 and stops working. I made sure my SD card is unmounted, the phone has USB debugging turned on, I have tried the pdanet method, and I tried unplugging and replugging the USB cord but it always stops on step 7. The phone has android 2.3.4 but I have seen other threads where people with 2.3.4 got their phones rooted so why can't I? Any ideas?

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place but there is no forum dedicated to this phone. I'm guessing because it just came out this month.

antdizzo

Jul 1, 2010
Chicago
i just got the Q for my girl, i was wondering the same, just to remove the bloat. can someone please point me to the right direction?

antdizzo

Jul 1, 2010
Chicago
Hi, I just purchased the new LG myTouch (all myTouches are now made by LG) from tmobile and I have been trying to root it with no luck. I have been trying to use superoneclick but it always gets to step 7 and stops working. I made sure my SD card is unmounted, the phone has USB debugging turned on, I have tried the pdanet method, and I tried unplugging and replugging the USB cord but it always stops on step 7. The phone has android 2.3.4 but I have seen other threads where people with 2.3.4 got their phones rooted so why can't I? Any ideas?

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place but there is no forum dedicated to this phone. I'm guessing because it just came out this month.

where can i find these threads? can you point me to it... maybe i can try and find something, or do something different and help out with solving it.

EDIT: did these threads say for the MTQ or was it just a thread for a random 2.3.4 device?

Network24

Nov 26, 2011
The threads I saw were just for a random 2.3.4 device. I saw another thread on xda with someone trying to root this phone but just like this thread no one is answering.

eamondaly

Jan 14, 2011
Success!

After several attempts to root via SuperOneClick 2.2, I tried something totally random from another LG rooting thread that seems to have worked. Install ADB, then do:

WINDOWS> adb shell
$ echo 1 > /data/local/lge_adb.conf
$ exit

Then run SuperOneClick 2.2 and it should root properly.

ShadowScythe

Dec 22, 2010
I will have to give this a try on one of my Windows PC's. Linux and SuperOneClick are not playing nice together right now.

ShadowScythe

Dec 22, 2010
Ditto! Root, & Superuser

== Instructions that worked for me ==
- Download myTouch Q drivers (Search "mytouch Q usb drivers" - Can't post links yet! XD )
- Check that adb recognizes device: C:\> adb devices
- Follow eamondaly's instructions:
WINDOWS> adb shell
$ exit
- Run SuperOneClick v2.2
- Wait for phone to reboot (SuperOneClick seems to be paused)
- Reset USB debugging (mine was turned off after reboot)
- Wait for SuperOneClick to finish.
- Enjoy rooted phone :D

Last edited:

joselv456

Oct 22, 2008
Thanks

Okay thanks for the root methods greatly appreciated but now I am starting to get into developing anyone can teach me how to make a system dump to try and make my own roms I am a fast learner ort at least point me in right direction thanks again

DMOYER

Sep 3, 2011
Im not shure if im doing something wrong, i had better luck rooting an xperia play, a Droid X, and a htc mytouch, but this lg mytouch wont go for me. I tryed runing adb, i know how to use, was doing a little programming with it and eclipse. Anyhow, typed everything in and this is what my cmd shell looked like...

C:\ADB>adb shell
$ echo 1> /data/local/lge_adb.conf
echo 1> /data/local/lge_adb.conf
$ exit
exit

Then i tryed running superoneclick , tryed root and shell root, neither seem to work, it goes threw some and then hangs. my phone disconnects and reconects, thats it though. i checked in terminal, typed su, access is denied. i tryed it with debugging on and off, sd mounted and not.

Any ideas or tips. im using windows vista.

joselv456

Oct 22, 2008
Im not shure if im doing something wrong, i had better luck rooting an xperia play, a Droid X, and a htc mytouch, but this lg mytouch wont go for me. I tryed runing adb, i know how to use, was doing a little programming with it and eclipse. Anyhow, typed everything in and this is what my cmd shell looked like...

C:\ADB>adb shell
$ echo 1> /data/local/lge_adb.conf
echo 1> /data/local/lge_adb.conf
$ exit
exit

Then i tryed running superoneclick , tryed root and shell root, neither seem to work, it goes threw some and then hangs. my phone disconnects and reconects, thats it though. i checked in terminal, typed su, access is denied. i tryed it with debugging on and off, sd mounted and not.

Any ideas or tips. im using windows vista.
you are running under admin right I know silly question but had to as lol

Network24

Nov 26, 2011
Thanks eamondaly

I just want to thank eamondaly for this method. I just ran superoneclick 2.3.1 and it worked perfectly. I don't know if it was your method that worked or if superoneclick 2.3.1 fixed it but all that matters is my phone is now rooted. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 4350713

Thanks a lot for the root method, I've been waiting patiently for this. Now can we get to making mods for this phone now?

Edit: Anyone having trouble sending/receiving MMS messages? I cant seem to send or receive them.

Last edited by a moderator:

mlecuona

Nov 15, 2011
Miami
I was having an issue with receiving MMS on both my wife's and my phone. Ditching the stock messaging client and downloading Handcent resolved it for both.

D

Deleted member 4350713

Switching MMS apps didn't work. Tried a number of countless APN setups. I just decided to unroot and factory reset. Everything is working again.

RC51Eric

May 24, 2010
titanium pro back up image

hey all,

Im sure this is a random spot for this but, since we dont have a home yet.

Im looking for a stock back up image (Titanium backup pro)with all apps and system settings. I think I may have cleared out a system file or two when cleaning out all the Tmo bloat.

Any help or other suggestions would be great.

screamline458

Feb 12, 2011
I found another way to root easily. http://www.unlockroot.com download, install and click root. I had issues with superoneclick and the adb method but this gave me full root with superuser and now I am happy that all the t-mobile crapware is gone

Jul 14, 2009
I'm trying to root my T-Mobile MyTouch Q and not having any luck. It's Android 2.3.6, but I tried running "echo 1 > /data/local/lge_adb.conf" and I get a permission denied error. I tried SuperOneClick version 2.2 and 2.3.3. SuperOneClick gets to step 7 than hangs and nothing happens. It says waiting for device. I also tried Unlock Root and it fails to get shell root. I searched all over google and the xda forums, but all say to run that command then run SuperOneClick and that hasn't worked for me. Anyone have any ideas?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Success!

After several attempts to root via SuperOneClick 2.2, I tried something totally random from another LG rooting thread that seems to have worked. Install ADB, then do:

WINDOWS> adb shell
    $ exit

Then run SuperOneClick 2.2 and it should root properly.
    Ditto! Root, & Superuser

== Instructions that worked for me ==
    - Download myTouch Q drivers (Search "mytouch Q usb drivers" - Can't post links yet! XD )
    - Check that adb recognizes device: C:\> adb devices
    - Follow eamondaly's instructions:
    WINDOWS> adb shell
    $ exit
    - Run SuperOneClick v2.2
    - Wait for phone to reboot (SuperOneClick seems to be paused)
    - Reset USB debugging (mine was turned off after reboot)
    - Wait for SuperOneClick to finish.
    - Enjoy rooted phone :D