SGSIII General and launch discussion thread.

Search This thread

basskidd

Jan 31, 2011
California
I personally love the design of this phone. The people who hate the design would rather have Samsung get sued by Apple again. This is a very smart move by Samsung and now Apple cannot say they stole our design.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Is it just me, or does that home button look an awful lot like the kin two?

microsoft-kin-two-g2.jpg

vs05-03_21-03-02x1020_gallery_post.jpg

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
It reminded me of the Nexus S, but without the curve, if they had atleast done that it would look a bit nicer.

fransarj

Jan 20, 2011
Manila, Philippines
Some people here are too quick to judge saying it sucks. Look at the iphone4. when it was released people were saying it looked like a brick and the design was ugly. Look at it now. Still the best looking phone out in the market.

The s3 probably looks better in person just like the iphone4 and will grow on us as well. I already like it as it is and i can't wait to see it in person.

As for benchmarks, i only trust anandtech.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5810/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-performance-preview

46302.png

ediesel18

Oct 24, 2011
Man people need to quit crying. its is not that bad looking at all. Ive seen worse from htc. The Wolfson Dac is a big plus for me.

thebobp

Feb 16, 2012
I'm disappointed in the mere existence of the hardware buttons. Having them as software on the Nexus meant that I could download a ROM to change their order and/or add new ones. There's no way I could go back after having that sort of customization available to me.

(True, it was a bit of a failure that such options were not available by default, but at least it was even possible.)

Other than that, I honestly can't see what's so supposedly bad about the design (particularly from those who seem to focus on the pebble blue version to exclusion.. you realize there's a white option, right?) but maybe I'm just too technically inclined.. I value those little conveniences like removable sd card and battery too much.

jamice4u

I'm disappointed in the mere existence of the hardware buttons. Having them as software on the Nexus meant that I could download a ROM to change their order and/or add new ones. There's no way I could go back after having that sort of customization available to me.

(True, it was a bit of a failure that such options were not available by default, but at least it was even possible.)

Other than that, I honestly can't see what's so supposedly bad about the design (particularly from those who seem to focus on the pebble blue version to exclusion.. you realize there's a white option, right?) but maybe I'm just too technically inclined.. I value those little conveniences like removable sd card and battery too much.
I have the galaxy 2 (Epic Touch 4g and I am using the hardware buttons and the software buttons with a custom rom (AOKP 5)

Zabalba

Jun 19, 2010
Miami
I never enjoyed the software buttons on my Galaxy Nexus. The thought that valuable screen space was always used for navigation seemed backwards to me.

I also owned the Galaxy Note. Samsung's pentile display is not in anyway detrimental to the quality of the display. Those complaining about the pentile are viewing their phones with x300 magnification glasses.

SLCD uses more battery for the same image. In AMOLED when you see black, that pixel is turned off.

Now as for the design of the outer body of the phone I will concede it leaves more to be desired. The curves are too feminine to match the capacity of the hardware. I would have preferred less bezel around the edges. I still have to hand it to them for packing in all the goods the phone comes with.

The fact that most of the other high end phones are coming with non removable batteries, and lack of MicroSD expansion, shows samsung still knows that kind of hardware it's customers want.

I live in the states so I'm trying to figure out how I want to import the international version when they launch. I have no need for LTE. HSPA+ is more than enough for my browsing habits. Also the international version will see more development than the state variants. I'd bet you would see a stable CM9 or AOKP sooner than the US versions even adjusted for release date.

thebobp

Feb 16, 2012
I never enjoyed the software buttons on my Galaxy Nexus. The thought that valuable screen space was always used for navigation seemed backwards to me.

Not "always". Apps can resize or get rid of it if screen space really was that important - many games do. In most cases, however, you want those buttons, for the user to navigate.

By contrast, the hardware buttons are there, all the time, no matter what. They waste space on the phone that could otherwise have been used for more screen (or even just de-sizing), no matter what. And they can't be customized by the user or the app, unlike soft-buttons. I would go so far as to call them a step backward.

Reactions: silverstorm

diehard2222

Aug 9, 2010
Adelaide

I also owned the Galaxy Note. Samsung's pentile display is not in anyway detrimental to the quality of the display. Those complaining about the pentile are viewing their phones with x300 magnification glasses.

SLCD uses more battery for the same image. In AMOLED when you see black, that pixel is turned off.

The fact that most of the other high end phones are coming with non removable batteries, and lack of MicroSD expansion, shows samsung still knows that kind of hardware it's customers want.

this x 10000000. people need to understand pentile vs non pentile at 720p is hardly noticeable.

also super amoled will always be better than lcd especially in batter consumption.

MissionImprobable

Dec 20, 2011
As to removable v non-removable battery I have to say this: if it has enough capacity to last through a day of heavy usage without needing a charge, then it's no biggie. One huge plus is the ability to have functional anti-theft at all times.

It's great that you can't power off many phones, especially Rommed phones, from the lockscreen, but what good does that do you in locating your phone when all a thief has to do is pull your battery and there's no longer any means by which to power GPS? Just something I've been musing on lately. This is one nice advantage of an internal battery that has a very involved process for removing it.

boodies

Mar 3, 2010
just read the anandtech bench, wow. samsung, king of all phones yet again, congrats.

bassie1995

Jan 9, 2011
Delft
You mean something that the Galaxy Nexus has had for 6 months already? (along with the Super AMOLED HD screen of course)

Yes, fair enough, but the GNex (or any other phone so far, for that matter) doesn't have as extensive integration of gestures, and "sensing" people. I mean, I don't know how useful it's going to be, but it's a good step forward for them.
For example, it sometimes checks to see if someone is looking at it, and if you are, it unlocks. If not, it looks. That is just one little thing that it has improved, which I think makes the phone. Those details make things a joy to use.

And the screen: When will one notice? Yes, it's PenTile and yes, I'd rather they didn't use it, but what difference will it truly make in the end?
I think that you'll be just as happy with this screen as you'd be with a GNex.

Also, look where I'm coming from, I'm going 10th floor to the top of the ESB on this one ;).

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

mucinch

Nov 30, 2010
I don't get this obsession over non-pentile displays, I've never heard of Samsung messing up displays. Other companies may have messed up pentile screens, but I don't see anything wrong with my SGS.

Samsung could have easily out-specced HTC One X by adding a 1.5-2 GB RAM. I don't think this requires a next generation component, it would have also made it reasonably future-proof combined with the Quad-core chipset. And don't tell me you guys don't need any more RAM, the reason Samsung didn't update SGS to ICS was because of the RAM.

sjondenon

Nov 15, 2010
Does anyone know how to calculate the 'real' ppi? (correction for the pentile layout)
And is the s3 using the same 1 gb ram module as the s2?

mortuus82

Apr 22, 2010
Malmo
Wow the design really is something strange.. a blue phone? rofl... and like usual expected a thin plastic case overall.. look at htc they make some of the best designs samsung really need to stop copy apple.. the phone has too much curves around the phone its not very attractive looking - seems they target mostly women with this phone and it does not look like a phone you will get scratches very quick :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mod edit: This thread is the largest thread about pre-launch discussion, so to keep the forum organised and help you find content, we will close other duplicate threads and direct discussion here

xD@^

danfamdsc01388-1335956307.jpg

well the SGSIII has officially been announced, so now lets just use this former LIVE UNPACKED event thread, as a general talk about whatever sgs3 thread.. this is where you can ask your one liner questions that arent worth making a whole thread for, or just be chatty about whatever sgs3 thoughts you have

also be sure to check out the
    [ Galaxy S III™ FAQ Guide ]
    itll save you some searching (click that ^^^)
    Posted this in another thread but I thought I'll leave it here as well.
    Great indepth review of the SGS3, it shows alot of features I have not seen before.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAs3ZiPQl-U
    I have no permitions to post youtube links with video but this is a joke.
    See attachment.
    i am extremely disappointed that its only "designed for humans"...my cat wanted an s3 sooo bad idk how to break the news to her.
    am i the only one that actually likes the design of it? :D

Probably