Group messaging is missing

Search This thread

urklegrue

Jan 19, 2011
I seemed to have lost the ability to send or receive group messages. My Hangouts app does not have the option under advanced settings, where it was definitely there on my nexus 5. I have had the phone for a week and I only noticed after I tried to send a group message so I am not sure if it was there and disappeared or it was never there to begin with. Group messages get sent as individual SMS instead of MMS. The phone is rooted.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1398022969600.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1398022969600.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 134

erasat

Oct 2, 2010
I seemed to have lost the ability to send or receive group messages. My Hangouts app does not have the option under advanced settings, where it was definitely there on my nexus 5. I have had the phone for a week and I only noticed after I tried to send a group message so I am not sure if it was there and disappeared or it was never there to begin with. Group messages get sent as individual SMS instead of MMS. The phone is rooted.

I don't really know if is related to your root, but I doubt it, I have my group conversation options in both, default and Hangouts apps, so just to see, go to your default messaging app and go to settings, multimedia messages and be sure that you have the Group conversation selected there, maybe, and I'm guessing here, if it's not selected there, maybe Hangouts don't give you the option.

atman8r

Dec 18, 2012
Florida

From what I've read, it would seem its a problem with the phone. I've also gotten mixed responses from the community here on XDA. Everything from Samsung saying they got rid of that feature all the way to it's the Sim cards. I don't have the option on any of them. So I'm in the same boat.

Sent from my SM-G900T using xda app-developers app

urklegrue

Jan 19, 2011
I don't really know if is related to your root, but I doubt it, I have my group conversation options in both, default and Hangouts apps, so just to see, go to your default messaging app and go to settings, multimedia messages and be sure that you have the Group conversation selected there, maybe, and I'm guessing here, if it's not selected there, maybe Hangouts don't give you the option.

My default messages app doesn't have the option either. It's like it doesn't exist.
I tried factory reset too and that didn't work.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium HD app

yaniel06

Mar 4, 2011
I have the sprint variant and group messaging is there

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

urklegrue

Jan 19, 2011
I went to the T-Mobile store and switched the sim, and it works now. This may or may not matter, but the sim in which it didn't work was Isis-enabled, and the new one is not.

Zamdam1

Mar 4, 2011
I went to the T-Mobile store and switched the sim, and it works now. This may or may not matter, but the sim in which it didn't work was Isis-enabled, and the new one is not.

I had the same issue as you.. Both of my SIM cards were ISIS sim cards. The one that came with the phone didnt allow for group messaging and the new one did..

I also have a issue with the stock messaging app not handling group conversations correctly when i am on wifi. When wifi is off, they come just fine, except they come in way slower than my wifes iphone 5S.. we both have tmobile.. I might be tempted to go back to the iphone 5s

pezlomd

Dec 23, 2011
miami
I have the option on my text messenger settings.. But my buddy just got his phone and this option is not available... What could that mean?

Sent from my SM-G900T using xda app-developers app

v3patel

Mar 1, 2007
This is to confirm that issue is with SIM card

I did everything including switching Different SIM card, Finally Found out that ISIS SIM seems to be culprit, ( they are new one with NFC enabled)
Below screen show good and bad sim in terms for group messaging to work.
T-MobileSIMIssueWithGroupMessaging.jpg