[Root] Enable Call-Screening on Pixel

Search This thread

coolsid8

Feb 15, 2011
India
Inspired by this post : https://www.xda-developers.com/enable-google-phone-app-dark-theme/

Credits : Legents (He found the flags for it to work and I helped him test the flags)

Update 1 : Currently, this doesn't work on stock rom for some reason, maybe wait for November update if you want to stay on stock. This has been tested on several custom roms like havoc, carbon and liquidremix pie roms.

Update 2 : People on stock rom can try this combination and check again. Phone app version 24 and Play services 14.5.70. Someone got it to work on stock rom on reddit.**

Update 3 : No need to mess with any app versions from November update. Just modify the files. It should work.

Steps to enable Call Screening :

1. Make sure you are rooted and have the latest version of the app, Google Phone 25, installed. You can root your device by finding the right links here. To join the beta channel of the Google Phone app, head to the Google Play Store listing and look for the beta option. You can also download the APK from apkmirror and sideload it manually.

Side Note : I have tested it on following version :
Google Phone V25
Play Services 14.5.70(100400-217905028)

2. Download any root-enabled file explorer like FX File Explorer or MiXplorer. I did it using MiXplorer.

3. Open the explorer and navigate to the root directory from the left-side navigation menu.

4. Navigate to /data/data/com.google.android.dialer/shared_prefs and look for the file named dialer_phenotype_flags.xml.

5. Change the following flags to true, (Locale flags are optional and may not appear in your XML file and can be ignored if you have your default language to English(US) in Google App) :
Code:
    <boolean name="__data_rollout__SpeakEasy.CallScreenOnPixelOneAndTwoRollout__launched__" value="false" />
    <boolean name="__data_rollout__SpeakEasy.OverrideUSLocaleCheckRollout__launched__" value="false" />
    <boolean name="G__enable_speakeasy_details" value="false" />
    <boolean name="G__speak_easy_bypass_locale_check" value="false" />
    <boolean name="G__speak_easy_enabled" value="false" />

6. Force stop the Google Dialer

7. Open Dialer and go to settings, you will see a new Call screen menu. Open the menu and wait for supplementary file required for Call Screen to be downloaded.

8. Voila. Enjoy.

Other things to remember:
1. During Step 7, you have to be on an Wifi Connection, it doesn't download the files otherwise and functionality won't work correctly. Also, if you are using a mobile hotspot as a Wifi Connection, set it to unmetered from Wifi Settings before opening the Call Screen menu from dialer.

2. This mod works along with Dark Mode and New favorites flags, so you can enable them too if required :
Code:
    <boolean name="__data_rollout__DarkMode.EnableDarkModeRollout__launched__" value="false" />
    <boolean name="G__enable_dark_mode_setting" value="false" />
    <boolean name="G__enable_new_favorites_tab" value="false" />

3. I have tested this on Havoc-OS for now. Testers from other custom ROMs with latest gapps are welcome to try it if it works on yours. I tried the same on stock, but even after manually updating my play services to the version mentioned above, I couldn't get it to run as Play services had some trouble with Phone permissions even though everything was enabled.

4. I have tested it on P2XL. But ideally it should also work on P2 and maybe even P1.

Last edited:

coolsid8

Feb 15, 2011
India
Tested on OG Pixel stock, followed all steps correctly, no luck.
Can you please share your dialer and play services version ? Also, did dark mode for you ?

Same here couldn't get it to work on stock os on pixel 2xl, I'll probably try to play around with it more this weekend

on stock, dark mode was enabled but no go on the screening.
Can you please share your dialer and play services version ? Like i have said, I tried this on stock but couldn't get the latest version of play services to run. But it worked on Havoc.

I couldn't install the latest play store beta on pixel 2xl
Are you talking about play store or play services ? Are you running Stock ?

joeyddr

May 4, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Can you please share your dialer and play services version ? Also, did dark mode for you ?

Can you please share your dialer and play services version ? Like i have said, I tried this on stock but couldn't get the latest version of play services to run. But it worked on Havoc.

Are you talking about play store or play services ? Are you running Stock ?

phone is 25.0.218361296
services is 14.5.70(100400-217905028)

coolsid8

Feb 15, 2011
India
phone is 25.0.218361296
services is 14.5.70(100400-217905028)

Yep. Correct versions. Do you get any error when you reboot regarding action services having trouble with play services ?

Also, did you install these updates manually or through play store ?

Lets wait for people on other roms and their experiences.
Maybe its something to do with stock rom then.

WyldOne91

Dec 21, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
I also made sure to get the correct Phone version and Play Services version by downloading them through APK mirror. I then rebooted and made the suggested changes. Once finished, I closed all apps and rebooted once more. Still no luck however. I'm running stock rooted on my Pixel 2 XL.

coolsid8

Feb 15, 2011
India
I also made sure to get the correct Phone version and Play Services version by downloading them through APK mirror. I then rebooted and made the suggested changes. Once finished, I closed all apps and rebooted once more. Still no luck however. I'm running stock rooted on my Pixel 2 XL.
I think then stock is no go for now unless someone figures it out. It didn't work for me on stock too, then i switched to havoc and it worked in one shot. Havoc had latest play services/dialer pre-installed.

D3ATHBoy

Jul 20, 2017
Works!!

Followed the steps and it works perfectly!! Didn't run into any errors.. got it first attempt!

munchy_cool

Apr 6, 2008
void (0)
Can you post version numbers of google app, play services and dialer ?

Me and Legents both got it working on Havoc without any issues. We both were also enrolled for beta channels for google app and play services.

google app :- 8.33.6.21.arm64

play services and dialer are whats mentioned in OP

Edit

Joined beta channel fro Google app as well.
new version is 8.39.5.21.arm64

same result (no go)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Inspired by this post : https://www.xda-developers.com/enable-google-phone-app-dark-theme/

Credits : Legents (He found the flags for it to work and I helped him test the flags)

Update 1 : Currently, this doesn't work on stock rom for some reason, maybe wait for November update if you want to stay on stock. This has been tested on several custom roms like havoc, carbon and liquidremix pie roms.

Update 2 : People on stock rom can try this combination and check again. Phone app version 24 and Play services 14.5.70. Someone got it to work on stock rom on reddit.**

Update 3 : No need to mess with any app versions from November update. Just modify the files. It should work.

Steps to enable Call Screening :

1. Make sure you are rooted and have the latest version of the app, Google Phone 25, installed. You can root your device by finding the right links here. To join the beta channel of the Google Phone app, head to the Google Play Store listing and look for the beta option. You can also download the APK from apkmirror and sideload it manually.

Side Note : I have tested it on following version :
    Google Phone V25
    Play Services 14.5.70(100400-217905028)

2. Download any root-enabled file explorer like FX File Explorer or MiXplorer. I did it using MiXplorer.

3. Open the explorer and navigate to the root directory from the left-side navigation menu.

4. Navigate to /data/data/com.google.android.dialer/shared_prefs and look for the file named dialer_phenotype_flags.xml.

5. Change the following flags to true, (Locale flags are optional and may not appear in your XML file and can be ignored if you have your default language to English(US) in Google App) :
    Code:
        <boolean name="__data_rollout__SpeakEasy.CallScreenOnPixelOneAndTwoRollout__launched__" value="false" />
        <boolean name="__data_rollout__SpeakEasy.OverrideUSLocaleCheckRollout__launched__" value="false" />
        <boolean name="G__enable_speakeasy_details" value="false" />
        <boolean name="G__speak_easy_bypass_locale_check" value="false" />
        <boolean name="G__speak_easy_enabled" value="false" />

6. Force stop the Google Dialer

7. Open Dialer and go to settings, you will see a new Call screen menu. Open the menu and wait for supplementary file required for Call Screen to be downloaded.

8. Voila. Enjoy.

Other things to remember:
    1. During Step 7, you have to be on an Wifi Connection, it doesn't download the files otherwise and functionality won't work correctly. Also, if you are using a mobile hotspot as a Wifi Connection, set it to unmetered from Wifi Settings before opening the Call Screen menu from dialer.

2. This mod works along with Dark Mode and New favorites flags, so you can enable them too if required :
    Code:
        <boolean name="__data_rollout__DarkMode.EnableDarkModeRollout__launched__" value="false" />
        <boolean name="G__enable_dark_mode_setting" value="false" />
        <boolean name="G__enable_new_favorites_tab" value="false" />

3. I have tested this on Havoc-OS for now. Testers from other custom ROMs with latest gapps are welcome to try it if it works on yours. I tried the same on stock, but even after manually updating my play services to the version mentioned above, I couldn't get it to run as Play services had some trouble with Phone permissions even though everything was enabled.

4. I have tested it on P2XL. But ideally it should also work on P2 and maybe even P1.
    After several try then finally I got it working on stock rooted 2 XL with following combination:

1. Phone App: 24.0 (25 confirmed doesn't work. Also, you need to edit the xml file AFTER install 24.0. It doesn't work with 25's xml)
    2. Google App: 8.33.6.21 (I cannot get it to work on other version.)
    3. Google Play Service: 14.5.73 (Other version doesn't seem to work.)
    4. System language: US-English (I tried Japanese but call screen option disappears. After I change back to US-English the call screen option just came back. US-English must be the 1st Language on settings)

Also, it seems dark mode doesn't work on Phone app 24.0, however it works on 25.

Hope this clarify all the confusions.
    MIne kind of...activated itself.
    I've been trying to get this working since this post was opened with no luck. Now it just...happened when I tried all this. I've been trying all sorts of methods.

I'm on the stock ROM; October update.

I was using my Pixel 3 Magisk Module spoofer.
    What I did was uninstall the updates to:

Google app
    Google Play services
    Phone app

Clear ALL of the app data.

Then I updated them to the following versions:

Phone app: v24 (latest from apkmirror) (arm64 nodpi)
    Google Play services: 14.3.69 (arm64 nodpi)
    Google app: 8.39.6.21.arm64 (arm64 nodpi)

May or may not work for you, there's been a ton of trial and error here.
    video is anyone wants to see how it's done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqqz6rn1lx8

#shamelessplug