[POLL]unofficial cm14 alpha for desire 816 [NO CELL SERVICE]

should I release a very early alpha of cm14 that only partly works?

• Of course, I'll flash anything new!

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • maybe when it's a beta with working cell radio.

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • only once everything works.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • don't bother, it's not interesting at all.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
UPDATED:
released.
ROM thread

so, I've built a buggy cm14 that's good enough to look at and play a little with the features that do work, and watch the eye candy and all.
it has wifi and bluetooth and SMS messaging.
Otherwise broken telephony.
only some of the sound works. no camera, nfc, location.
the idea is a poll.
I figure people like to click buttons, so the poll suits that.

Last edited:

Ed128

Aug 30, 2016
I'm amazed at your skills. And I have learned a lot from reading this thread. More importantly, my VM 816 is still functional.

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I'm amazed at your skills. And I have learned a lot from reading this thread. More importantly, my VM 816 is still functional.

A lot of what I do is googling errors, borrowing commits from other cm devices with similar chipsets, (and commenting out lines that throw errors in the build until I figure out workarounds... not the most kosher of methods.)
It's fun, but I often lean heavily on stuff that's already been done by others. Grarak put up really nice device trees to work from on this device for example, and my first tweaks at it were just after it had faded from cm nightlies. Made it comparatively easy next to my Optimus or Evo3d.
I think you can release it whatever people use or not , but 816 is my only 4G phone.I will test it till the Calling Services worked
Odds are the basic call services will be online way before 4G. Especially since my 4G service is still broken and has ben for quite a while. I'll hassle Virgin Mobile about a replacement sim card soon; research and talking with a Ting rep both imply that would fix my issue.

T

Tim Cook

so, I've built a buggy cm14 that's good enough to look at and play a little with the features that do work, and watch the eye candy and all.
it has wifi and bluetooth, possibly nfc, probably no location, totally broken telephony.
only some of the sound works. no camera.
the idea is a poll.
Read this post and you see that clicking the thanks button counts more than voting...

I think you should upload the zip. Legacy devices are getting cm 14. Why we are late?

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I think you should upload the zip. Legacy devices are getting cm 14. Why we are late?

Well, htc certainly won't be releasing N for my a5_chl (Virgin Mobile variant) since they wouldn't even let M out the door for it.
you can partly name lack of manufacturer support.
And I get tired of complaints about nonworking items from people who don't read the OP, so I'm waiting for adequate interest to post it (big upload on poor isp, couple hours.)
Plus there's inability to test dug/dwg and that's twice the upload bandwidth. But few source changes to build for them, and some dual sim owners would enjoy buggy N too.
Several reasons that N isn't out in the wild yet for the a5. But I'll probably set it free to roam soon.

Reactions: CrashBX

Ed128

Aug 30, 2016
Question about CM14

When you let it roam, I'm ready to try it out. But I have two questions. First, I am delighted with CM13. It was the first time I ever flashed a phone and it is working nearly perfect. A hiccup or two but nothing I cannot handle. It has extended the useful life of my VM 816 A5 and saved me from buying another phone. Here's two questions for CM14 whenever it becomes available. Can I just backup my existing files with TWRP, Wipe and flash CM14? Then, the real question is if I don't like it, can I completely restore what I have now with RESTORE? The last thing I want is to ruin CM13. Thanks for helping this newby.

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
When you let it roam, I'm ready to try it out. But I have two questions. First, I am delighted with CM13. It was the first time I ever flashed a phone and it is working nearly perfect. A hiccup or two but nothing I cannot handle. It has extended the useful life of my VM 816 A5 and saved me from buying another phone. Here's two questions for CM14 whenever it becomes available. Can I just backup my existing files with TWRP, Wipe and flash CM14? Then, the real question is if I don't like it, can I completely restore what I have now with RESTORE? The last thing I want is to ruin CM13. Thanks for helping this newby.
yes, and yes. I restore cm13 over messed up cm14 regularly.
Still fighting with ril. location not working at all in spite of the switch working. and nfc probably will work once I get the firmware moved to wherever it's looking. but all the sound seems to be working now.

Reactions: Ed128

ajones23

Apr 13, 2011
New Braunfels,Tx

Yes you can just Backup and Restore your previous ROM. Just be careful, wipe system and dalvik cache and cache. CM13 has some problems but mostly everything works on 816.

Reactions: Ed128

Ed128

Aug 30, 2016
That's something I can deal with. Just don't want to go too far past my limited "expertise". And, not trying to hurry things. I'm a happy CM13 customer.

Huzin

Jul 31, 2015
ASUS ROG Phone 5
it has wifi and bluetooth, possibly nfc, probably no location, totally broken telephony.
only some of the sound works. no camera.
the idea is a poll.
Read this post and you see that clicking the thanks button counts more than voting...

Love your work!!!

Naxym

Feb 4, 2015
D816w

what could be the estimated date for the first beta? hunger to flash this CM14.....

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
what could be the estimated date for the first beta? hunger to flash this CM14.....

Its really not a good idea to ask for ETAs. Specially when not many things work.
It's ok in this thread, since that's kind of what it's about.

If I can stabilize the radio glitches enough that all the telephony stops force-closing constantly I'll release an alpha, there isn't tons of interest but there seems to be enough.

After all, if I were in your shoes I'd want a release to check out.

ajones23

Apr 13, 2011
New Braunfels,Tx
It's ok in this thread, since that's kind of what it's about.

If I can stabilize the radio glitches enough that all the telephony stops force-closing constantly I'll release an alpha, there isn't tons of interest but there seems to be enough.

After all, if I were in your shoes I'd want a release to check out.

I sorta may get a flashing bug if you put up a alpha. I just thought I would put my 2 cents in about ETAs. Not a good thing sometimes.

Reactions: bigsupersquid

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I sorta may get a flashing bug if you put up a alpha. I just thought I would put my 2 cents in about ETAs. Not a good thing sometimes.
A lot of developers get uppity about ETAs.
I imagine with hot new devices and hundreds of posts a week it would get really old.
I usually just warn people that I have too much on my 'real-world' plate for my own taste and that my hobby work (this) ends up on the bottom of my get-er-done list.
Plus I like to put up it's-almost-ready posts and then take forever to upload:angel: and similar annoying delayed releases. Like I rebuilt for the OV a little while ago, posted about it, and never debugged or released it at all.
Bad dev :cyclops:
I put this thread out in general 816 to encourage comments and questions.
Once the alpha is out I'll open a thread in Original Dev (and post a link to it here) since cm14 is definitely original right now.
About to flash another test build!

Reactions: Huzin and ajones23

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Test has sms but no phone.
No Bluetooth.
Close to being uploadable.
assuming the next build isn't in any worse shape than this one (should have working BT, and I'm really hoping for at least 3g data and maybe phone service) then I'll try pushing the zip to AFH. If my landline internet stays connected long enough to get it upstream...

Last edited:
Reactions: Huzin and frank9184

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATED:
    released.
    ROM thread

it has wifi and bluetooth and SMS messaging.
    Otherwise broken telephony.
    only some of the sound works. no camera, nfc, location.
    the idea is a poll.
    Test has sms but no phone.
    No Bluetooth.
    Close to being uploadable.
    assuming the next build isn't in any worse shape than this one (should have working BT, and I'm really hoping for at least 3g data and maybe phone service) then I'll try pushing the zip to AFH. If my landline internet stays connected long enough to get it upstream...
    A lot of developers get uppity about ETAs.
    I imagine with hot new devices and hundreds of posts a week it would get really old.
    I usually just warn people that I have too much on my 'real-world' plate for my own taste and that my hobby work (this) ends up on the bottom of my get-er-done list.
    Plus I like to put up it's-almost-ready posts and then take forever to upload:angel: and similar annoying delayed releases. Like I rebuilt for the OV a little while ago, posted about it, and never debugged or released it at all.
    Bad dev :cyclops:
    I put this thread out in general 816 to encourage comments and questions.
    Once the alpha is out I'll open a thread in Original Dev (and post a link to it here) since cm14 is definitely original right now.
    About to flash another test build!

Well, htc certainly won't be releasing N for my a5_chl (Virgin Mobile variant) since they wouldn't even let M out the door for it.
    you can partly name lack of manufacturer support.
    And I get tired of complaints about nonworking items from people who don't read the OP, so I'm waiting for adequate interest to post it (big upload on poor isp, couple hours.)
    Plus there's inability to test dug/dwg and that's twice the upload bandwidth. But few source changes to build for them, and some dual sim owners would enjoy buggy N too.
    Several reasons that N isn't out in the wild yet for the a5. But I'll probably set it free to roam soon.
    Installed the CM14.1 Dec 2nd build and am now running it as my daily driver! Here are a couple points to drive home for anyone else looking to do this: You will need to switch the cellular preferred mode to 3g. 4g seems to display on the screen for only a moment before cycling the radio on and off over and over until the phone reboots. 3g solves this. The phone works, camera seems fine (front and back) only had the camera app not work on one occasion so far (reboot fixed it). You will need to set up your mms settings using another app like textra (works perfect for me). Wifi works great as well as bluetooth. I haven't tested everything, but once I changed the radio to 3g the phone stopped rebooting and has been very stable.
    Thanks BigSuperSquid!