[ROM][NC] Unofficial CM9 Nightly builds - with/without OpenGL

Search This thread

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
This was AC plugged, with WiFi always on and connected, and background updates clearly happened (K-9, BeyondPod). Now, the prevailing opinion seems to be that we shouldn't be getting deep sleep in this situation, and I usually don't see it...
With CM7 the device never went into deep sleep while plugged into A/C, but it does seem to sleep with CM9 in that situation.

Sent from my Nook Color running ICS and Tapatalk

KingJL

Sep 29, 2011
I'm running 0418 non-opengl, and I got a browser freeze last night as I was trying to fall asleep. I plugged in, rebooted, and put down the NC before the bootanim got very far, and went to sleep.

When I woke up, seven hours later, CPU Spy reported 5:30 of deep sleep. This was AC plugged, with WiFi always on and connected, and background updates clearly happened (K-9, BeyondPod). Now, the prevailing opinion seems to be that we shouldn't be getting deep sleep in this situation, and I usually don't see it unless I've just booted and put down the device. I reliably get lots of deep sleep when I'm out of WiFi range.

Just a data point, really, but it contradicts opinion I've seen expressed here.
On your browser freeze... Do you have "force gpu rendering" checked? If you do, you will get random/occaisional freeze.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
why is it nearly impossible to download large files (new builds) straight onto the nook. or this just me...
I don't have any trouble downloading eyeballer's non-opengl zips directly to my nook. I do it everyday. But I have a very fast internet connection here at home. Last week I was on the road and used a lot of guest wifi locations that were fairly slow. I had some trouble then. They would stall or time out sometimes.

Last edited:

runemail

Sep 6, 2006
I have wiped and flashed the latest three nightlies and I have not been able to establish a connection to my encrypted Wifi, but can connect to my unencrypted mobile hotspot. Flashed back to Cm7 and connected without any issues so I guess it has to be related to this rom.
Tried to search but did not find a solution.

Hope this helps:

http://pastebin.com/zAE4FZkF

stolenmoment

Mar 27, 2011
On your browser freeze... Do you have "force gpu rendering" checked? If you do, you will get random/occaisional freeze.

Nope, I unchecked that a few weeks ago. The browser freezes happen only every few days. I do have "Show touches" enabled (very handy), but I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Last edited:

EAK128

Mar 18, 2011
I have wiped and flashed the latest three nightlies and I have not been able to establish a connection to my encrypted Wifi, but can connect to my unencrypted mobile hotspot. Flashed back to Cm7 and connected without any issues so I guess it has to be related to this rom.
Tried to search but did not find a solution.

Hope this helps:

http://pastebin.com/zAE4FZkF

It might have to do with "WiFiAdhoc = 1" line in your tiwlan.ini file, you should change it to WiFiAdhoc = 0

Reactions: runemail

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
So, i am hoping that a poor old mod could get some friendly advice. ;-)

While i love CM9, i just cannot get over how laggy it is. I feel like i have exhausted my tweaks (OCed @ 1200, perf gov, v6 tweaks, . 59 kernel. Perhaps it is my jaded memories, but CM7 never felt this bad.

For what its worth, i am running on emmc, open gl build from 4/4 (going to try a new build tonight). I see that a majority of people are downloading the gl builds, so i assumed that was the better build...

Advice?

racks11479

Jan 2, 2011
Fresh Meadows

While i love CM9, i just cannot get over how laggy it is. I feel like i have exhausted my tweaks (OCed @ 1200, perf gov, v6 tweaks, . 59 kernel. Perhaps it is my jaded memories, but CM7 never felt this bad.

For what its worth, i am running on emmc, open gl build from 4/4 (going to try a new build tonight). I see that a majority of people are downloading the gl builds, so i assumed that was the better build...

Advice?

Devine_Madcat!!! :D

Apart from flash working & wallpaper scroll... the non-opengl builds are much smoother. Give that a go, and I'm sure you'll be pleased and surprised at how much smoother it is.

-Racks

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
Devine_Madcat!!! :D

Apart from flash working & wallpaper scroll... the non-opengl builds are much smoother. Give that a go, and I'm sure you'll be pleased and surprised at how much smoother it is.

-Racks

Will do... And nice to see ya still kicking around. ;-)

For my nook use, flash and wallpaper scroll are meaningless,... I want smooth!

ziggy34

Sep 2, 2010
SE Michigan

Advice?

I upgraded from an older build to one just a couple days ago. Wow, big difference.

Sent from my A500 using xda premium

mateorod

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
Racks, wallpaper scroll now works on non-opengl versions too. I agree with you, the few benefits of opengl do not make up for the performance hit it brings. Non-opengl is almost as good as CM7.

Sent from my Nook Color running ICS and Tapatalk

Seconded and thirded. My feeling is that the OpenGL builds were really just being made to sate curiosity, and for those who just can't live w/o flash.

I've only flashed those for testing purposes. I can't really take it for more than an hour.

Non-OpenGL is a better daily driver than CM7 now, IMO. With keyodi's kernel commits, I don't have anything left I truly miss.

Edit: and with MX Player set to software decoding and YouTube playing HQ videos, I include flashplayer on the list of things I don't miss. There aren't many internet videos I can't watch, and the ICS advances are more than worth it.

Last edited:

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
Well, i must say people are correct (which begs the question, why do the OGL builds have 2-3x the downloads?!).. the non GL builds are much better.. i like!

bornagainpenguin

Oct 22, 2010
Well, i must say people are correct (which begs the question, why do the OGL builds have 2-3x the downloads?!).. the non GL builds are much better.. i like!

People (myself included) see opengl as a sign of better hardware acceleration and don't fully realize just how much better non-gl performance really is! Liking the nongl version of Cm9

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

yelloguy

Jun 24, 2011
I switched to open-gl builds pretty much since they came out and have never looked at non-open-gl builds. This discussion is quite surprising since I am very happy with my late march open-gl build as a daily driver. The only problem I have is the shorter battery life compared to CM7. But then, I don't watch videos on my NC. Just some Kindle and EZ-PDF apps. And Chrome browser.

bornagainpenguin

Oct 22, 2010
Well, shoot, I wish I'd tried the non-gl versions sooner!

The only thing that I'm really struggling with now is rotation and an inability to keep the display in portrait mode. I went through the settings in Display to adjust the rotation, but turning them off simply locks the display in landscape.

Also, seeing all kinds of apps refusing to allow installation from the Market, claiming incompatibility, which were installable in the gl version and in CM7. I tried the telephony permission flashable zip but it doesn't seem to be helping. Any ideas?

:confused:

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Well, shoot, I wish I'd tried the non-gl versions sooner!

The only thing that I'm really struggling with now is rotation and an inability to keep the display in portrait mode. I went through the settings in Display to adjust the rotation, but turning them off simply locks the display in landscape.

Also, seeing all kinds of apps refusing to allow installation from the Market, claiming incompatibility, which were installable in the gl version and in CM7. I tried the telephony permission flashable zip but it doesn't seem to be helping. Any ideas?
Since you use the phone gui there is a setting which will allow you to lock the rotation in whatever orientation you want. Go to settings/system/notification drawer/widget buttons. There you can select 'toggle orientation'. That adds a button to the notitification area when you pull down the status bar. It allows you to lock orientation in the position it is in at the time. This setting is only available in the phone gui in CM9. The same setting is available in CM7.

The market compatibilty issue is because you set your density to 180, not because of non-opengl. 180 is a non-standard dpi and market will not show many apps with it set there. The solution is to temporarily go back to 160 or 240 to access market. Both are standard resolutions. Then once you have your app, go back to 180.

PS: You mentioned earlier that you are starting fresh with your installs, having to resetup google, etc. I hope that was just while you were debugging the installation of my patch. Ordinarily, the only thing you should do before flashing a new ROM is wipe dalvik cache.

Last edited:

bornagainpenguin

Oct 22, 2010
Since you use the phone gui there is a setting which will allow you to lock the rotation in whatever orientation you want. Go to settings/system/notification drawer/widget buttons. There you can select 'toggle orientation'. That adds a button to the notitification area when you pull down the status bar. It allows you to lock orientation in the position it is in at the time. This setting is only available in the phone gui in CM9. The same setting is available in CM7.

The market compatibilty issue is because you set your density to 180, not because of non-opengl. 180 is a non-standard dpi and market will not show many apps with it set there. The solution is to temporarily go back to 160 or 240 to access market. Both are standard resolutions. Then once you have your app, go back to 180.

PS: You mentioned earlier that you are starting fresh with your installs, having to resetup google, etc. I hope that was just while you were debugging the installation of my patch. Ordinarily, the only thing you should do before flashing a new ROM is wipe dalvik cache.

Yes to one, no to the other. I was able to lock orientation the way you described, but changing to 160 DPI didn't reenable the apps for me. Since I'm noticing other anomalies I'm chalking up to a bad flash and starting over again.

I almost always do it from scratch, coming from a LG Optimus V where that is the recommended way to do stuff. If I have a good nandroid sometimes I try to upgrade but usually I don't have good luck with that.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As of 9/4 opengl is enabled on all builds (so no more double builds each night) and hardware UI acceleration is working. Thanks krylon360 for the work :)

In the same spirit as Samiam303 I've been building and hosting nightly builds of CM9 for the community to use. In particular I'm now building nightlies with OpenGL rendering turned on in addition to non-openGL builds (same as Samiam303). These builds are all straight sync with CM source with no additional mods. Builds are sync'd at 3am EST for non-openGL and 4am EST for openGL - they will be available to download approx 15 mins after their sync times.

So what does OpenGL rendering mean? It means we have some form of hardware acceleration for the UI and apps. It is not full hw accel and it is not hw video decoding. The couple of things you'll notice work is wallpaper scrolling in the launcher and chrome beta will mostly work to render webpages but will fc if you go into settings. Flash also somewhat works - I've found you definitely need to OC to get some flash videos to work, most still are not smooth.

The downside to it seems to vary user to user, some people report sluggish responses and some get lock ups, a few have no problems at all..

Either way, give them a try and report back. Please try to keep the thread on topic of these builds only, other mods can be flashed over, but that discussion should be in the respective thread. I'd also like to revisit keyodi's suggestion here (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=22277804#post22277804) - a few people reported good results with that change. Any more feedback?

Downloads

There's a few ways to get the builds:
    1) Browse the hosted folder here: http://techerrata.com/browse/nightly_kangs/encore
    2) Follow @CM_Encore on twitter for announcements of the builds as they hit the host (PLEASE NOTE: @CM_Encore IS A TWITTER BOT - don't bother tweeting at it)
    3) *NEW* Use the Goo Manager app to receive notifications of new builds and download them directly on your nook. With Goo Manager you can also get incremental updates, see my post here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25441065#post25441065

Latest ICS gapps can be found here http://goo-inside.me/gapps or mirrored here http://techerrata.com/browse/gapps

Updates

For the latest updates/announcements follow me on twitter, or check back here.

5/9/12: Goo Manager now comes pre-installed to make updating as easy as possible :)
    4/28/12: Incremental updates are available for the flash-a-holics: See http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25441065#post25441065
    3/10/12: Due to some merges yesterday you may need to reflash gapps when going from a nightly prior to 3/9 to later than 3/9

Credit and Thanks
    Thanks to fattire, dalingrin and the rest of the CM encore theme for making this possible. Thanks to fellow TeamWin members Kevank for providing the hosting and to s0up for the Goo app.
    The 9/4 nightly includes all of krylon's changes, and opengl is now enabled by default so there will only be 1 build each night from now on (unless something changes again). In testing we haven't experienced any freezes or random reboots with the new code and opengl enabled, of course with wider testing we may discover something.
    I've decided to pause the nightlies at this point. If most people are on 9/4 we can start to see if there's any specific issues affecting all users that might be able to be resolved with the goal being as stable a cm9 release as possible. There isn't much being merged into the cm9 tree upstream so we're not losing anything by building less frequency.

So go ahead and install 9/4, if I see something of significance merged upstream I'll kick off a new public build.
    Nightlies will now feature HWA and full Hardware Decoding, as well as working Flash.

Known issues.
    Netflix - Stupid Stupid App. :p - Giving the same error as we are getting in JB, so when we fix one, we will fix the other.

Fruit Ninja - Hangs at the loading screen. - Known issue across several devices.
    I've decided to pause the nightlies at this point. If most people are on 9/4 we can start to see if there's any specific issues affecting all users that might be able to be resolved with the goal being as stable a cm9 release as possible. There isn't much being merged into the cm9 tree upstream so we're not losing anything by building less frequency.

So go ahead and install 9/4, if I see something of significance merged upstream I'll kick off a new public build.

thanks eye.
    This gives me a chance to hack in the PBHACK which will bring down the memory usage of SystemUI like I did in JB.
    Gonna take some work since it didnt like some of the syntax usage when I attempted the 1st time.
    Will try to get to this sometime this week. Have my Grandma coming to town on Sunday, so will be unavail this weekend/next week.