How to resolve HTC one X 3G signal problems

Search This thread

UpSideDownHOX

Apr 28, 2012
Not sure if any of you are already aware that the HOX also seems to suffer from a similar problem as the problem seen with Apple (death grip) where the signal would be weaker depending how the user held the device.

See the tests this guy is carried out to highlight the problem:
http://www.jayceooi.com/2012/04/09/htc-one-x-antenna-reception-test/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkKNkC0f700

The software used in the test is "network signal info"

Basically most of us are right hand users, this means we tend to hold our phones with left hand, so we can use our right hand to do stuff like typing, now the problem with the poor signal relates to the left lower corner of the phone where the antenna seems to be, when we hold the phone this way the 3G signal drops just like shown in the video.

The tests seem to indicate if you hold the phone with right hand (meaning you will not be covering the antenna area) that the signal remains strong.

Based on this understanding I came up with a working solution so the signal does not drop when holding the phone with left hand, which is to use the phone upside down & it actually works,
Just download an app called "display orientator" which allow you to setup the phone to display upside down.

I have been using the phone upside down since yesterday and it works great.

I've even been using Skype video calling and it works perfectly, nothing is up side down :)

Think battery life is also improved as signal remains strong & phone uses less power.

Just wanted to add one more thing there is an app called "phono" which shows an icon in the top notification area of the network you are connected to, and with the three uk network the signal when it goes weak simply drops onto the orange network which in turn appears as connect but kills your mobile broadband, maybe the three team are just not aware of how crap the orange service seems to be, so these 2 tricks should prevent you from dropping into the orange network & improve your signal.

Personally I don't mind to use this great phone upside down as it does not have physical keyboard.

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

Last edited:
Reactions: asianhawk93

twistedh

Sep 10, 2011
Copenhagen
The whole point is that we shouldn't have to use our phone upside down. Not a bad temporary fix for those with the problem but stupid imo.

Most no longer have issues after the latest update as well from what I've seen.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

UpSideDownHOX

Apr 28, 2012
I think if it improves battery usage and connection even further has to be worth it.

The software also allows to change the orientation back to normal view with single tap.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington

So you posted a link to a thread with one post that has a problem totally unrelated to yours? I'm on AT&T using a One X that replaced a i9100 and can say it has the best radio of any phone I've ever used. I've used my phone all over the U.S. and last week roaming in Europe and never noticed a signal problem no matter how I'm holding it.

If your signal is marginal the position of the phone's radios can impact reception. People having different reception experiences based on their location, the network they're using, and/or their APN's is nothing new. Do you really think this is a problem that no one else would have noticed with a phone that's been in people's hands for over a month? Antenna-gate on the Sensation took less than a week to be exposed.

UpSideDownHOX

Apr 28, 2012
So you posted a link to a thread with one post that has a problem totally unrelated to yours? I'm on AT&T using a One X that replaced a i9100 and can say it has the best radio of any phone I've ever used. I've used my phone all over the U.S. and last week roaming in Europe and never noticed a signal problem no matter how I'm holding it.

If your signal is marginal the position of the phone's radios can impact reception. People having different reception experiences based on their location, the network they're using, and/or their APN's is nothing new. Do you really think this is a problem that no one else would have noticed with a phone that's been in people's hands for over a month? Antenna-gate on the Sensation took less than a week to be exposed.

you saying the antenna in the US version is not located in the same position?

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I'm saying that the thread you linked to mentions nothing about the antenna as the cause of the posters problem. I've used my device in different parts of the U.S. and in Europe and haven't had a reception issue. I'm guessing that what you think is causing your problem (the way you're holding the phone) is in reality your phone trying to receive a weak signal and fluctuating as you move the radio around as you're handling it. Borrow a friend’s SIM from another network and see if the phone still does it. Your phone could also have defective radio or loose internal connection. If everyone's signal dropped based on the way they held their phones it would have been a much bigger issue by now.

zimilie

May 30, 2012
Solved

Hello everyone, I have had the same problem.
I solved it by removing the phone and slightly raising the lower contacts of the antenna GSM / WCDMA.

After a few hours it seems the problem has disappeared. Let's hope so

asianhawk93

Jun 21, 2012
Thanks For the tips mate :D ...... Btw in my case 2g network with WiFi gets the job done for saving battery as well ... Still thanks for the info about the upsidedown app ... Might come in handy if I get outta my house :D

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

layoup

Dec 30, 2012
Paris
I solved it by removing the phone and slightly raising the lower contacts of the antenna GSM / WCDMA.

Hello, could you indicate where is located the GSM/WCDMA antenna in intertionnal version of HTC One X ?
Thanks a lot

fgth90

Jan 3, 2007
Belfort, France
Hello, could you indicate where is located the GSM/WCDMA antenna in intertionnal version of HTC One X ?
Thanks a lot

+1

Yes, how did you do that (slightly raising the lower contacts of the antenna GSM / WCDMA) ??? :confused:

patensas

Jun 24, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Note 10
OPPO Find X2 Pro
Check this:

diag.jpg

Ain't completely right as the messed up the GPS and WiFi connectors but I do believe the GSM connectors at the bottom are right?!
Please share if you think different, just trying to help and don`t want to share wrong information ;)

Last edited:

hasith.rc

Sep 10, 2014
hello,

Should the phone still have gsm signal when the back cover is removed? I removed the back cover of my phone. BT and WiFi works fine. But no gsm signal.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Not sure if any of you are already aware that the HOX also seems to suffer from a similar problem as the problem seen with Apple (death grip) where the signal would be weaker depending how the user held the device.

See the tests this guy is carried out to highlight the problem:
    http://www.jayceooi.com/2012/04/09/htc-one-x-antenna-reception-test/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkKNkC0f700

The software used in the test is "network signal info"

Basically most of us are right hand users, this means we tend to hold our phones with left hand, so we can use our right hand to do stuff like typing, now the problem with the poor signal relates to the left lower corner of the phone where the antenna seems to be, when we hold the phone this way the 3G signal drops just like shown in the video.

The tests seem to indicate if you hold the phone with right hand (meaning you will not be covering the antenna area) that the signal remains strong.

Based on this understanding I came up with a working solution so the signal does not drop when holding the phone with left hand, which is to use the phone upside down & it actually works,
    Just download an app called "display orientator" which allow you to setup the phone to display upside down.

I have been using the phone upside down since yesterday and it works great.

I've even been using Skype video calling and it works perfectly, nothing is up side down :)

Think battery life is also improved as signal remains strong & phone uses less power.

Just wanted to add one more thing there is an app called "phono" which shows an icon in the top notification area of the network you are connected to, and with the three uk network the signal when it goes weak simply drops onto the orange network which in turn appears as connect but kills your mobile broadband, maybe the three team are just not aware of how crap the orange service seems to be, so these 2 tricks should prevent you from dropping into the orange network & improve your signal.

Personally I don't mind to use this great phone upside down as it does not have physical keyboard.