Asus RT N and AC Routers

Search This thread

ermacwins

Aug 25, 2009
Does anyone have this router? I understand it can act as a server with video or audio stored on it?

And Im assuming these can be played with allcast and bubbleupnp?

Jarocks

Jan 31, 2011
Yes, though I am not sure if this feature is available on the stock firmware.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ermacwins

gianptune

Oct 10, 2010
I've got a router that has built-in DLNA server abilities in it. It seemed like a good idea until I got to the question of "How do you get the video files onto your server?". The answer for my Belkin router is that I have to disconnect the usb drive from the router and connect it to my computer, then drag files over, then when I'm done, connect the usb storage back to the router. If you're the type of person who is regularly downloading movies, then having to constantly move the usb drive around can be a PITA. In fact, it was actually more convenient to just plug the drive into my OUYA and watch movies than it was to use the DLNA capabilities in my router.

Now, if the router had some method to allow uploading files directly to its server, it would have been a different story. But then comes the next big issue - DLNA only supports a limited amount of file types. Again, this one isn't too much of an issue if you only have a small set number of movies or if you're encoding your own files.

In the end, I ended up forking out the $5 for the plex android app. Though, if you have an ouya, the plex app is free in that store.

ETFoneHome

Jun 11, 2012
Sounds like OP is asking in general if Asus N and AC routers support DLNA -- and Samba. If it say so on the box, then yes. Asus DLNA feature is actually pretty reliable. Album art always shows up.

I use my AC68 connected 24/7 with a WD 1tb USB hard drive and it acts as a server for d/l and stream. Any app that has DLNA support should see the server on the router (I use BubbleUpnp, Avia, Local Cast). Also Windows detect it as a network drive and ES file explorer sees it under LAN so I can easily transfer, edit files and folders. The hard drive will also auto spin down after 20 mins. I'm using stock firmware. If your media need transcoding, because CC wont support whatever format, that's a different story.

mrm1

Sep 2, 2010
Nexus 7
Asus Eee Pad Transformer
I have a rt-n56u with a Western Digital 1TB drive connected directly to it. Bubbleunpnp sees the drive as a DLNA source and works prefect streaming from the drive to the chromecast just as long as your videos are in the correct formats the dongle can handle.

Sent from my GT-I9505

I have a RT-AC66U running Merlin's latest enhanced stock firmware. There is a DLNA server option in the fw that gives the option to serve out USB connected media. There's also an iTunes server in it. More info on Merlin's builds here: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42 I don't have any experience with it - running WHS2011 serving media. But, the router has been a very good one.

ermacwins

Aug 25, 2009
So apparently the N66U has a microsd slot on the mainboard. Has anyone tinkered with that?

polish_pat

Nov 30, 2011
Montreal
Yeah I have the dark knight edition and it can be used as server. I however much prefer casting from my Plex server

Only downside with plex is your computer always has to be on. The Asus server is always available and you can even access it from outside your network

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

TeamHackura

Aug 26, 2011
OnePlus 8
True. I have bitten the bullet and decided to leave PC on. It idles down nicely anyhow. The good thing with plex is that it encodes on the fly to suite the device and bandwidth present. With DLNA server on router its hit or miss whether it even starts to play. Also interface of Plex is verty nice from Android app.

r00t4rd3d

RT-N66U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware, best router Ive ever had.

Notes:

Putting a micro sdcard in the router will not add it to the webui, it will only be available via terminal/ftp/samba/etc.

SD Cards, flash memory, thumb drive,etc should be EXT2 and hard drives EXT3 with Asus routers when used in the SD slot or USB ports, it runs Linux and a Linux file system should be used.

Last edited:

space_eyes

Nov 2, 2010
Edmonton
I'm using the ac I think. Anyways I have a 2 TB Samsung portable, I can't give details later if needed. But yeah casts. I have y2cast, local cast and bubble all still on my phone, so must work well. great playback.
Router is on stock firmware, remember to go manually update, small security issue.
I'd like to try the ddwrt software on it bit I've yet to have a chance if anyone has had a chance.

Sent from my LT30a

ermacwins

Aug 25, 2009
RT-N66U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware, best router Ive ever had.

Notes:

Putting a micro sdcard in the router will not add it to the webui, it will only be available via terminal/ftp/samba/etc.

SD Cards, flash memory, thumb drive,etc should be EXT2 and hard drives EXT3 with Asus routers when used in the SD slot or USB ports, it runs Linux and a Linux file system should be used.

Ok I'll try an ftp client on the pc to transfer files to attached storage. Is there a similar method with Android for non techy family members?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have a rt-n56u with a Western Digital 1TB drive connected directly to it. Bubbleunpnp sees the drive as a DLNA source and works prefect streaming from the drive to the chromecast just as long as your videos are in the correct formats the dongle can handle.

Sent from my GT-I9505
    Yes, though I am not sure if this feature is available on the stock firmware.

I have the ac68u and yes it can act as a server on stock firmware

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    Yeah I have the dark knight edition and it can be used as server. I however much prefer casting from my Plex server

I've got a router that has built-in DLNA server abilities in it. It seemed like a good idea until I got to the question of "How do you get the video files onto your server?". The answer for my Belkin router is that I have to disconnect the usb drive from the router and connect it to my computer, then drag files over, then when I'm done, connect the usb storage back to the router. If you're the type of person who is regularly downloading movies, then having to constantly move the usb drive around can be a PITA. In fact, it was actually more convenient to just plug the drive into my OUYA and watch movies than it was to use the DLNA capabilities in my router.

Now, if the router had some method to allow uploading files directly to its server, it would have been a different story. But then comes the next big issue - DLNA only supports a limited amount of file types. Again, this one isn't too much of an issue if you only have a small set number of movies or if you're encoding your own files.

In the end, I ended up forking out the $5 for the plex android app. Though, if you have an ouya, the plex app is free in that store.