[APP][2.2+] [v.1.5+] Wakelock Detector- What keeps your phone awake when it sleeps?

Search This thread

ahikmat

Aug 5, 2010
Seoul
Wakelock Detector 1.5.*

Ever wondered why your smartphone screen doesn’t turn off automatically when it should have, the screen wakes up all of a sudden or you find your phone battery drained even when you exited apps and turned off the screen? This might be due to wakelock holding apps.”Wakelock Detector” helps you to detect battery consuming applications in your Android device by checking wakelock usage history. Now you can find out which applications drain your battery in a simple way by using this app!

"Wakelock detector" is our goal to simplify detecting wakelock issues for an ordinary user.
As you know, wakelocks have enormous impact on battery life.

Available in GoogelPlay: Download from GooglePlay

Please feel free to comment and give us your feedback :)
Thank you!

Presentation about "Wakelock Detector" (recommended) Wakelock PRESENTATION

User Guide (Manual) for Wakelock Detector : http://www.slideshare.net/ahikmat1/manual-for-wakelock-detector

Changelog:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eatTvA_mSaN2Nljq7i_Qy-5gfDtkOi5QiYY5QHUga84/edit?usp=sharing

[PC version]
For KitKat non rooted users PC version has been developed.
PC version retrieves stats via adb.

[Reviews]
XDA Review
XDA Video Review
LifeHacker
HowToGeek
DotTech
Temefy
Facebook page

Attachments

• knowdevice-2013-05-07-132232.jpg
    knowdevice-2013-05-07-132232.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 38,878
  • device-2013-04-22-094218.jpg
    device-2013-04-22-094218.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 37,160
  • device-widgets.jpg
    device-widgets.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 35,432
  • device-settings013-05-07-132129.jpg
    device-settings013-05-07-132129.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 32,058
  • wld_white.png
    wld_white.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 32,394
  • pc_version2.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 14,708
  • WakeLockDetector.apk
    1.1 MB · Views: 35,278
Last edited:

OrangeFever

Sep 19, 2011
Calgary
Re: [APP] [1.0.0] Wakelock Detector (new app for easier access to wake locks)

Nice, clean looking UI. Uninstalled GSam and replaced with this.

Reactions: ahikmat

thedisturbedone

Nov 5, 2011
Superb app. Especially for a 1.0 release. Thanks a lot. I have a lot of wakelocks with my Xperia T and hope this would help.

clinta

Dec 31, 2011
Mumbai

Will prove very useful thx for the app

Sent from my LT26i using xda premium

grinder777

May 15, 2012
AW: [APP] [1.0.0] Wakelock Detector (new app for easier access to wake locks)

Great App! The overview is perfect - thank you so much!
Maybe it could be nice to set the time-array... since unpluged, since reboot, since screen off... But keep it easy as it is!
Really good!

md p9516 - root -waiting for cwm -- thnx2all

ahikmat

Aug 5, 2010
Seoul
BetterBatteryStats is for sure the best, but i like this simply one app.
Ill try it for some days to chech it out.

Btw what is 1013 wakelock which running in my phone?Any idea?

1013 is a media related system process with UID number 1013,
you can see it in "Advanced mode", I guess it is doing something with audio input/output as we can see in picture.

for more detail answer you can check this thread:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-support-troubleshooting/112774-process-0-1013-a.html

Attachments

• device-2013-03-07-181433.jpg
    device-2013-03-07-181433.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 12,166
Last edited:

Kick-Ass Joe

Nov 29, 2012

Thanks! Can I request something? When you press info, instead of going to play store can you make it so it opens android settings instead. The page where we can force stop, uninstall, clear cache, clear data. Thanks!

Sent from my Paranoid Nexus 4

ahikmat

Aug 5, 2010
Seoul
Great App! The overview is perfect - thank you so much!
Maybe it could be nice to set the time-array... since unpluged, since reboot, since screen off... But keep it easy as it is!
Really good!

md p9516 - root -waiting for cwm -- thnx2all

thank you for your reply,
you are right, we thought about adding options [since unpluged, since reboot, screen off], however for simplicity we used only [since reboot] as it shows the maximum amount of usage statistics. later we plan to add those three options on the bottom part of screen.

ahikmat

Aug 5, 2010
Seoul
Thanks! Can I request something? When you press info, instead of going to play store can you make it so it opens android settings instead. The page where we can force stop, uninstall, clear cache, clear data. Thanks!

Sent from my Paranoid Nexus 4

Thanks for your feedback,
showing Google Play helps users to see latest reviews of app and send a report to developer.
that is why we considered it more valuable information than 'app info' page of android settings.
we will put both options in the future,

Caboose13

Dec 10, 2010

Thanks dude :) looks good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app

iamelton

Feb 10, 2011
Hong Kong
OnePlus Nord
very nice app.. clean and simple!
keep up the good work and keep it this way.. :)

for the filtering options, does "CPU + Screen" mean to list those apps that require BOTH cpu and screen wakelocks?
and whats the difference between normal and advanced modes? is it additional system processes?
i can still see "Media" and "Google Services" in normal mode, so what is the separation line?

ahikmat

Aug 5, 2010
Seoul
very nice app.. clean and simple!
keep up the good work and keep it this way.. :)

for the filtering options, does "CPU + Screen" mean to list those apps that require BOTH cpu and screen wakelocks?
and whats the difference between normal and advanced modes? is it additional system processes?
i can still see "Media" and "Google Services" in normal mode, so what is the separation line?

thank you for pointing out those 3 important things,

1) CPU+Screen is for "FULL_WAKE_LOCK" , this link explains about Types of wakelock

2) Advanced mode shows the processes which UUID are less than 2000, i.e system processes used by android os

3) we still see "Media" and "Google Services" cause their UUID > 2000, though their PackageName is empty. In next version you can see them only in Advanced mode ;)

Last edited:

ahikmat

Aug 5, 2010
Seoul
Collecting user experiences

We are working on collecting common wakelock issues.
Until now, we found several issues and solutions.
One of them is *backup* of "Android System"
It was running and draining battery in the background.
The solution for that would be turning off "Backup" from phone settings(under personal settings)

If you have had experienced any other wakelock issues, please share them here! Thank you

ahikmat

Aug 5, 2010
Seoul
NEW Updates

[NEW UPDATES IN 1.4]

- Removed Kill,Uninstall button , as they might cause unreleased wakelocks
- Added "Open" button for bringing the app to front
- FAQ improved
- Names CPU,Screen,CPU+Screen -> changed to Partial, Screen, Full
- Now it shows since when the battery statistics were gathered
- Minor Bug fixes

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wakelock Detector 1.5.*

Ever wondered why your smartphone screen doesn’t turn off automatically when it should have, the screen wakes up all of a sudden or you find your phone battery drained even when you exited apps and turned off the screen? This might be due to wakelock holding apps.”Wakelock Detector” helps you to detect battery consuming applications in your Android device by checking wakelock usage history. Now you can find out which applications drain your battery in a simple way by using this app!

"Wakelock detector" is our goal to simplify detecting wakelock issues for an ordinary user.
    As you know, wakelocks have enormous impact on battery life.

Available in GoogelPlay: Download from GooglePlay

Please feel free to comment and give us your feedback :)
    Thank you!

Presentation about "Wakelock Detector" (recommended) Wakelock PRESENTATION

User Guide (Manual) for Wakelock Detector : http://www.slideshare.net/ahikmat1/manual-for-wakelock-detector

Changelog:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eatTvA_mSaN2Nljq7i_Qy-5gfDtkOi5QiYY5QHUga84/edit?usp=sharing

[PC version]
    For KitKat non rooted users PC version has been developed.
    PC version retrieves stats via adb.

[Reviews]
    XDA Review
    XDA Video Review
    LifeHacker
    HowToGeek
    DotTech
    Temefy
    Facebook page
    testing for kitkat

Wakelock detector 1.5.7, supports KitKat (rooted, also for non-rooted phones with few steps)

New permission added:

[INTERNET] - WLD does not consume any traffic, this permission is needed for adb self connection purpose
    ([BOOT] - this permission will be added for calculating screen on time for non-rooted kitkat phones)

Starting from kitkat we retrieve wakelock stats from "dumpsys", that is why your phone either needs to be ROOTED or you need to have adb access to your phone itself.

KitKat owners with ROOTED phones

Run WLD, allow ROOT at first run. It is preferred to check "remember it" option

KitKat owners with NON-ROOTED phones

This option takes few steps to accomplish, but this is the only way to see wakelock stats for non-rooted kitkat phones.

In android phones, by default adbd listens to USB port, we need to change it to listen tcpip for establishing adb connection.
    for that we need to run "adb tcpip 5555" from PC. For Windows OS, usb drivers need to be installed. http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html

Install one of these light adb on your PC:
    Windows: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=42407269
    Mac/Linux: https://code.google.com/p/adb-fastboot-install/

Enable "developer option" on your phone (it is in settings window , if you don't see it click "Build version" 7 times on "About" section)
    Run "adb tcpip 5555" from command line.
    Then install "Terminal emulator" on your phone and run "adb kill-server" , "adb devices" and confirm self-connection.

You can follow these slides for details: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1r3VlhZIZVSufZlAeICJet6QBtyAF7z06_ysl1kUKME4/edit?usp=sharing

We are working to make single-click PC app.

If you could have better idea to optimize these steps, share it with us! Thank you!

[updated apk]
    Big thanks to Sordna for helping to improve WLD and RootTools performance!
    After the recent Google's update for KitKat 4.4, I am discouraged and disappointed with Google's actions against developers.

I think "wakelock" info must be available for all Android users, because it is their property. They should be able to know what is happening to their phone while they are not using it.

Until KitKat the apps like BBS, Gsam and WLD gave users all these detail statistics from Google's hidden battery statistics repositories.
    But starting from KitKat, they completely restricted it. Only the ROOTed users might be able to see the wakelock statistics for now. They might even disable it also in the future.

I wrote email to the person who did this. But no effect.

I have some idea about organizing a public Online(or maybe offline) demonstration against the Google's restricting developers and users from their freedom of knowing the detail battery statistics.

Maybe it sounds dumb, but we could join all together and do something against Google's change.
    There are millions of users who resolved wakelock issues and doubled their battery life, who saved their phone from resetting or doing all costly things.

We can use famous social networks like a facebook page, or Google Plus page then
    post our demands until we reach Google.

What do you think ? How much are you eager to support this idea.
    I am back and working on this lollipop issue

Thank you everyone for supporting WLD,
    Sorry for being off for sometime.
    it is great to know that many of you using it in Lollipop with your own fix.(SeLinux)

I am getting lollipop now,
    hopefully i will fix this very soon.
    I got a reply from "Dianne Hackborn" who commited the change

Hi Uzum,

This was never available to third party applications anyway -- the only APIs to access the information protected by it are all hidden, and change across platform versions. Any applications using these private APIs are going to break sooner or later, and we would rather it was sooner.

So I send her reply again, if it does not work, then we will try to catch public attention :)

Dear Dianne Hackborn,

Thanks for your reply.

We thought over about your reply,
    However,
    Could you consider discussing about reverting BATTERY_STATS permission's protection level from "android:protectionLevel="signature|system" to "android:protectionLevel="dangerous"

We could not find any solution for this issue, Our app can not access wakelock statistics without ROOT, and we don't want to force our users to ROOT their devices.

As users are aware that third-party app is going to access battery statistics,in our opinion this permission can not hurt the user . It just only gives access to power consumption information. We do not see any danger in this.

We are aware that this battery statistics API was hidden, we used reflection to access this info as that was the only choice.

Standard android battery app is good enough, however many users with "no-sleep" issues could not solve their battery draining issues with standard app. Because android's standard battery app does not give detail information.

Fortunately, they found "BBS" or "Wakelock detector" or "GSam battery monitor" and easily found out which rogue apps kept their phone awake from deep-sleep that were causing drastic battery drain.

They need this "wake lock" statistics. That is why there was a big demand for such apps.

In other words, Google is taking away the right from users to see their detail battery statistics.

For understanding how much serious problem is "no-sleep" issue, please take a look below links:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=android+no+sleep+issue&oq=android+no+sleep+issue
    http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/wakelocks-detect-no-sleep-issues-in-android-applications

According to research paper, almost 50% of apps had this "no-sleep" bugs in 2012.
    Hopefully, that number dropped by 2013, but still there are apps which mis-use "wake lock" feature and cause drastic battery drain.

Please check out the user feedbacks in "Wakelock detector" for more details.

Since 2013.03.01 We were happy to serve Android users by helping them to resolve their wakelock issues.
    They doubled their battery life without going to A/S or Resetting their phones.
    Right now, We need your help to help our users which are your users in turn.

Please Help!

Regards UzumApps