[STICKY] Google Cardboard, VR, 3D Videos, Half SBS Side-by-side playback of 2D, etc

Search This thread

jumpjack

May 7, 2007
Can a 3d game for PC be displayed in 3d fashion on an android device?

Last edited:

2kool2Bcruel

Sep 29, 2013
google cardboard 3d sbs aspect ratio changes.

Hi,

I've noticed when watching a 1920 x 1080 SBS 3D video with 16:9 aspect ratio that when viewed through Google Cardboard the 3D effect is surprisingly good but the aspect ratio looks more like 4:3

Is there a setting I am missing that affects this somehow? I use MX for 3D films and VR Player for VR videos. This aspect ratio also changes in VR Player also.

Thank you for helping.

rcrh

Jun 21, 2011
Hi,

I've noticed when watching a 1920 x 1080 SBS 3D video with 16:9 aspect ratio that when viewed through Google Cardboard the 3D effect is surprisingly good but the aspect ratio looks more like 4:3

Is there a setting I am missing that affects this somehow? I use MX for 3D films and VR Player for VR videos. This aspect ratio also changes in VR Player also.

Thank you for helping.
Change your aspect ratio to 32:9 (as a custom ratio).

FDisk80

Jun 17, 2012
MX Player devs should really consider adding VR support to this great app.

snotrock

Mar 16, 2016
I want to watch a 2d movie in side by side with my vr headset but don't want the "theatre" effect...I just want to see the content...is that possible?

riccardo.dimeo

Apr 16, 2016
I suppose this would be the right place... but what you you mean by 360° video?

Very late answer (but I just arrived and I have to start somewhere...first post on XDA :) ): I think he means panoramic videos in equirectangular format, which is the most used format to show videos where you can look all around.

I would really like them to be called 4π movies, which would make more sense mathematically speaking, but guess what? I doubt the term with gain much popularity... :laugh:

And congratulations to the MX developer: glorious app!

MX Player devs should really consider adding VR support to this great app.

This would be KILLER!! I would pay premium $$ for such feature!! Theres a certain app in the app store that does this but cant play DTS audio and is buggy.

I would very much prefer to give my money to the mx player devs, no offense to the ones working on the other one..

geminihc

Jun 5, 2008
any way to simply ZOOM in SBS side by side videos? right now if i zoom in, it's based from the CENTER of the SBS video which screws up the VR.

anyway to simply implement ZOOM from the center of the SIDE BY SIDE center points?

Thirumalai.K

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
any way to simply ZOOM in SBS side by side videos? right now if i zoom in, it's based from the CENTER of the SBS video which screws up the VR.

anyway to simply implement ZOOM from the center of the SIDE BY SIDE center points?
No way as of now. May be in future when VR support is implemented

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

joutcast

Feb 19, 2009
Here are some selected snippets of the requests made in previous threads.

=======

=======

======
As far as watching 3D on both phone and TV I think, THINK that it cant be done as cardboard is 3D SBS and TVs are stereoscopic. You also may run into DRM issues. If you own DRM free content you might be better off using a 3rd party app and formatting the movies in the appropriate format (stereoscopic or 3D SBS) then saving your stereoscopic movies to a small usb drive and your 3D SBS to your phone. Keep the USB drive plugged into your bdplayer. Vomiting out useless information anything built on the unity3d platform for a player has the smoothness and quality hands down without heating issues. VAR'S is built on unity3d for its engine, uses EasyMovieTexture for the OpenGL Surface Texture rendering and VLC as the background player. Im sure there are chromecast plugins available for vlc and the basic chromecast support library is available on github a willing programmer on this site might be willing to mod the software if someone wants to be nice to one. There are also VR updates for exoplayer which is the native player for android. There might be a way for a rom developer to include the vr updates in a base rom build of the player along with the standard chromecast support library.... may even be the smoothest solution. I would imagine this setup to be the solutiom with Android N devices and Daydream without actually looking at it. Again DRM is the issue with a lot of the 3D sbs content. As widevine is typically initiated as an application use level setting and not device wide. These are options available to the software developer. I did see a blurb that forcing drm to 3 in unity3d will allow playing the affore mentioned protected content outside its native app. There are also decoders however that sometimes run inside the player that is unique to the player. Castlabs dash player is a good example of this, provider to Vudu for example uses the feature. Outside of that I would wait for Google Play Movies VR updates or whatever app you are currently using. There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes in VR video rendering and a lot of the software providers need to play catchup and have staff brush up on vr then release a perfect player as the consumers will expect. You can see alot of vr support in the works with various players behind the scenes as the support libraries are appearing in the apps.

bijuracer

Jul 30, 2017
please add vr mode on mx player. it will be the best solution ever to any videoplayer

Google Cardboard, VR, 3D Videos, Half SBS Side-by-side playback of 2D, etc
If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, etc. regarding Google Cardboard, 3D videos, half SBS side-by-

please add vr mode on mx player

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Google Cardboard, VR, 3D Videos, Half SBS Side-by-side playback of 2D, etc
    If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, etc. regarding Google Cardboard, 3D videos, half SBS side-by-side playback of 2D videos, etc., post them all here. We don't need several threads on the same topic. New new threads on this topic will be locked, and users directed here.

Some quick FAQs:
    Is the developer aware of this feature request?
    Yes. The request is also added to the Feature requests Page under High priority.

Is there a timeline for implementation?
    The developer has not indicated publicly such a timeline. The feature will be considered for MX Player 2.0.

======
    Previous threads on this feature request (now locked):
    http://xdaforums.com/apps/mx-player/mx-player-vr-cinema-mode-t2888329
    http://xdaforums.com/apps/mx-player/half-sbs-playback-2d-videos-t2799322
    http://xdaforums.com/apps/mx-player/feature-request-3d-anamorph-t2797118
    http://xdaforums.com/apps/mx-player/zoom-l-r-independantly-videos-google-t2860098
    Snippets of requests in previous threads

Here are some selected snippets of the requests made in previous threads.

If anyone can contact the Developer of MX Player, then ask them to please create a Virtual Reality Cinema mode for MX Player. I believe that this would be the best solution for watching 3D SBS videos with Google Cardboard. For an example of what we are looking for, please look at the YouTube section inside the Google Cardboard app.

=======
    Now that Google has released Cardboard, I would love a feature to render regular videos the same way 3D Half SBS is rendered.
    Obviously it won't create any 3D effect but it would still give the big screen cinema effect when using Cardboard or Durovis Dive for example.
    There is already an app called "Side-By-Side Video Player" but it can't play any of my x264 MKVs, so if MX started supporting this, that'd be great!
    What seas1 and I are requesting is simply an option to render the same frame twice, Side-by-side.

=======
    PLEASE! guys add anamorph conversion vertical to horizontal. It would be great to watching 3d movies with Google Cardboard (can't post links, i tried) and mx player.
    Thanks very much, i hope you'll do it.
    Will you work at this feature or not?
    i mean, i want player to work as 3D TV. samsung, lg, etc.
    when i download 3d mkv to watch it on tv, it can be 2 types of files - horizontal anamorph pair.
    :) :)

and vertical pair
    :(
    :(

so, hardware 3d TV asked "what pair did you download? vertical or horizontal"
    and makes output like this
    left_eye_frame1, (left eye on 3d glasses opened, right eye closed)
    right_eye_frame1, (left eye on 3d glasses closed, right eye opened)
    left_eye_frame2, (left eye on 3d glasses opened, right eye closed)
    right_eye_frame2, (left eye on 3d glasses closed, right eye opened)
    left_eye_frame3, (left eye on 3d glasses opened, right eye closed)
    right_eye_frame3, (left eye on 3d glasses closed, right eye opened)

SO, with google cardboard device (and another same devices) user can watch 3D ONLY with horizontal pair. But vertical seems to be more popular format. And all what i talking about, i ask to do feature - vertical --> horizontal conversion, to watch vertical pair 3d movie in 3d devices like google cardboard.

i hope, i talking understandably.
    sorry fo my english, i'm from russia.

i have this message about links:
    "To prevent spam on the XDA forums, ALL new users prevented from posting outside links in their messages. After approximately 10 posts, you will be able to post outside links. Thank you for understanding!"

======
    Hi All
    I have some side by side (3D) videos on my phone, and Id like to watch them in MX player using my Google cardboard.
    At the moment, The video takes up the whole screen, and the field of view of the cardboard is to small to see the whole video.
    If I zoom out, It zooms from the middle of the screen, which obviously screws up the image, as it's no longer in the center of your eye.
    Id like a way to zoom out from the center of each half of the screen, so the video would split in the middle.
    Is this possible?
    Thanks,
    Tommy
    Post reserved. You can post now.
    I would love cardboard and gear be support but no ridiculous virtual cinemas. Just a nice SBS picture with view locked. The virtual cinema is useless e g when traveling pand just complicates development.
    I'm backing up the feature request. Shouldn't be very difficult to implement (with subtitle support). Thanks in advance, dear dev :)

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk