Linux Port for HTC Vox

Search This thread

biktor_gj

Jan 25, 2008
How do you guys feel about splitting the project up in several subprojects?

I think it's the best thing we could do :)

• Kernel and driver work: TI OMAP HTC Vox board patch and perhaps drivers
  • Base system: minimal rootfs and toolkit to utilize all Vox functionality
  • Usability: GUI and (for instance) Android support

The only problem I see here is the Android part. Making Android work means you have to modify both the root filesystem and the kernel to deal with it.
For example: By default, linux's framebuffer stays on /dev/fb0, right? Android expect it to be somewhere like /dev/graphics/fb0 (or something like that), wich means you have to patch the kernel. But you will need to modify the root filesystem to tell the window manager its screen is 240x320 and not 320x240 (unless you work with the sliding keyboard open all the time)

I do have a suggestion for the base system:
www.emdebian.org

Both my home server and my workstation uses Debian, so, in my opinion, pretty good idea! I would anyway get a basic rootfs with busybox and few things more by now, and then implement a working GpePhone (wich is the most suitable gui I found btw) when we have a working kernel.

I've spent all week out and I only had my mac for working, so I haven't been able to do anything, keeping back to work on the kernel this week. I promise I will make the keyboard work! And this week I will begin adapting the gsm module to see if it does something useful (it would be great if I could start a call, even if I won't hear anything...)

frauhottelmann

Inactive Recognized Developer
OK, the Page is set up under vonix.googlecode.com .
There is nothing on it so far, if you want to join do it (you'll need a google account, but that isn't a big deal). I created it under GNU General Public License v3! So after you joined you can upload the source and compiled stuff!

frauhottelmann

I added you all as project owners, because this way you can all change the project stuff right away! Go ahead

EDIT:
Hm I just found out that there is a file size limit of 20 MB, pretty bad!

EDIT2:
I am starting a SF.net project! They take some time to review the project, it should be p and running in 1 to 3 business days!

Last edited:

biktor_gj

Jan 25, 2008
So we won't be using google code at all, will we? I have a bunch of pdfs, and some info to begin with the wiki, but will wait for sourceforge then...

frauhottelmann

Yeah I'll delete the Google Code project! To everyone who wants to join the SF.net project: create an account (if you don't have one yet) and start to read into SF.net upload procedure since it's not as easy as with other web sites!

biktor_gj

Jan 25, 2008
Looks nice! but maybe with a little photoshopping...How about this?

GOOD NEWS! The N key, Volume up, volume down and camera keys don't dump garbage anymore! Now only arrow keys, dpad center key and the switch are missing!

Last edited:

biktor_gj

Jan 25, 2008
Hi frauhottelmann! Have you created the project on sourceforge? If so... can you give a link? I can't find it...

thanks!

frauhottelmann

Hey dev guys, SF.net wants us to answer some questions to make sure we are good guys :p
1. How frequently do you expect to be updating packages within your tree?
-
2. Do you plan to also provide full releases in an ISO file format (or similar)?
-
3. How many members of your team will be directly updating the package tree?
-
4. How many distinct versions or quality delineations do you intend to maintain (i.e. stable, unstable, testing, etc.)?
-
5. What mechanism will your end-users be using to update their local package load?
-
6. How many packages do you expect to exist in each tree (as described in #4)?
-
7. What do you estimate to be your maximal space requirement for all materials you intend to provide?
-
8. Are all materials you are providing under an Open Source license?
-
9. Does your project intend to make use of our project CVS and/or Subversion services?
-
10. What other SourceForge.net features will your project be using?
-Web page hosting

Jan 9, 2008
Groningen
My personal contribution can be as follows:

1. once in 1 / 2 weeks a WIP
2. not me
4. i'd say stable and current?
5. downloading of either separate patches and configs or pre-build images (kernel, rootfs, etc)
6. don't know, in my case I'd concentrate on kernel patches and my goal is getting current kernels to run properly, eg 1 patch for generic omap support and 1 patch for the HTC Vox board.
7. dunno, couple of MB for patches and perhaps a few 10's of MBs for images?
8. 100%
9. don't know yet
10. perhaps a web page / wiki for documentation?

biktor_gj

Jan 25, 2008
oh my god! do they need my eye colour too? :p

1. I expect more or less once-twice a week for my part, once I learn to use subversion (I know how to download, but not how to upload -never tried either-), that for the kernel, too soon to tell anything about the rootfs...

2. I'd love to! At least a SD card image with 'dd' but first we will have to get somewhere :)

3. That's something we can't know!

4. I would say unstable and... unstable now. Expected? Stable and unstable

5. what? Download and overwrite?

6. No idea... Minimal would be (if I understood this right)

1 kernel, 4 patches, 2 root filesystems (minimal text, and another one with graphic).. Maybe 8 packages?
That without counting utilities (i.e. Omap-Haret, Arm Toolchain, kernel source package)

7. At this time I have 2.5 Gb used for linux development on the HTC vox, but I don't expect them to give us all that :)
A Gpe root filesystem image will need at least 32mb
Another 40-45 Mb for the kernel tree
maybe 150mb max?

8. Yes they are. Everything I'm using is under GPL (don't know wich version each)

9. I guess for kernel devel it would be good...

10. Wiki.. something else?

qumran

Dec 5, 2007
Oh my god guys! :D this makes me exited! wooohooo! Thanks for the initiative.

Question, is it going to be possible to run vonix on the S730 Wings? What do you guys think?

Peace

Jan 9, 2008
Groningen
The S730 uses the Qualcom MSM7200 chipset. It has an ARM11 chip for OS operations, so the base OS could easily be made suitable for both phones, the kernel is a different story tough...