Workaround/Fix to Use Amazon Fire Tablet Netflix App with CC?

Search This thread

lokie56

Nov 4, 2015
I recently rooted my Fire tablet, and installed chromecast, google services etc and google play onto tablet, and am using google now launcher.

But I still can't use Netflix to Cast to my tv.

I can use youtube, and the CC app but netflix will not register my CC.

Has anyone found a workaround to remove whatever amazon put in to block them from seeing CC.

Thanks.

AurelioP

Nov 5, 2015
Work

Hi,

My device is a Amazon Fire 7 5Th (50$) and yesterday i'v rooted! :p
After root i'v edit the /system/build.prop to change Device Information.

I'v change Amazon to Aaamazon and Fire to Faaire (If you want to be cool to put three letters AAA. ... uppercase, :p ) in build.prop. I do not know the consequences of this, . However it work..

Tecnical Information:
If you decompile netflix apk you can see this(WTF).
Code:
 if (Build.MANUFACTURER.equals("Amazon") && (Build.MODEL.equals("KFOT") || Build.MODEL.equals("KFTT") || Build.MODEL.equals("KFJWA") || Build.MODEL.equals("KFJWI")))
        {
            Log.d("screen", "PlayScreen for Amazon Kindle HD");
            return new PlayScreenKindleHD(playerfragment, listeners1, postplaytype);
        }
        if (i >= 14)
        {
            Log.d("screen", "PlayScreen for ICS (Android 4+");
            return new PlayScreenICS(playerfragment, listeners1, postplaytype);
        }
        if (Build.MODEL.equals("Kindle Fire") && Build.MANUFACTURER.equals("Amazon"))
        {
            Log.d("screen", "PlayScreen for Amazon Kindle Fire");
            return new PlayScreenKindleFire(playerfragment, listeners1, postplaytype);
        } else

Now my netflix on my Amazon fire use chromecast fine! (i think that playstore and chromecast app are needed)

By
A.

Abysz

Nov 5, 2015
Did you just add ro.build.manufacturer=Aaamazon and ro.build.model=Faaire to your build.prop ? Because they are missing in mine and i'm not sure what to do.

AurelioP

Nov 5, 2015
I did other tests

in my case (amazon fire tablet 5th), only changing the property ro.build.manufactures from Amazon to Aaamazon (change amazon in other) the chromecast it work.

if your device ro.build.model are KFOT,KFTT, KFJWI or "Kindle Fire" you must change text to other. See the code to understand.

when Netflix in its code adds my device model my chromecast stop working. But I'll try to re-edit the build.prop.

But why netflix, check model and manufactures for amazon? app Crash? trade agreements ? I do not know.

I do not know the consequences of this change in other app

for now I have no problems to report.

johnveaz

Jan 28, 2016
can you make a tutorial on how to edit the system/build.prop because I keep trying to do this and es explorer wont let me change anything.

Meandrak

Oct 15, 2010
Recently rooted my Kindle Fire 7 (OS 5.1.1) specifically for the use with Chromecast in my home. Same issues as OP--Netflix just won't offer the casting option.

Does anyone have an update on this build.prop edit? Any side effects or consequences?

Any other methods to get Netflix casting via Chromecast?

Cheers

cmdrsurok

Feb 25, 2016
Also helped with WatchESPN

I was having the same problem with WatchESPN not showing the cast button on my rooted 3rd gen 2013 Fire HD (OS 4.5.5.1).
I tried the Market Helper app, but it didn't activate any missing cast buttons for me.

I then proceeded with the build.prop edit only after making a full TWRP backup.
I only changed ro.product.manufacturer to Amaazon and rebooted.

Worked like a charm. Been testing various functions on the Kindle for a few days and nothing seems affected.
My prime videos and music load fine, and apps install (no incompatible device messages) from google play.
Will post an update if something odd occurs.
Will most likely change the setting back to the original before making newer backups and then re-enter it when finished just as an extra precaution.

One month update: Chromecast working well with apps on the kindle. No ill effects from build.prop edit.

Last edited:

greevedogg

Nov 15, 2010
Is it possible to edit build.prop without root?
I'm stuck on 5.3.2.1 with no way to roll back as of yet, which means no way to root, either...

ManiaC00L

Dec 26, 2014
BUMP

stuck w/ fire os 5.4.0.0 not able to root or cast netflix to chromecast. also i see netflix has removed all legacy versions of 3.1.0 from even being able to login to netflix and the two companies together have done their best to prevent workarounds because i've been searching with torbrowser and duckduckgoose for weeks even checked the 0days. why on earth would they do this. how is this possible on an open source api? im so confused. can't root and can't use the one program i bought the tablet for.. utterly fking disgusted at these tactics. i will just use kodi or one of it's numerous clones fk netflix and amazon. canceling both subscriptions.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Work

Hi,

My device is a Amazon Fire 7 5Th (50$) and yesterday i'v rooted! :p
    After root i'v edit the /system/build.prop to change Device Information.

I'v change Amazon to Aaamazon and Fire to Faaire (If you want to be cool to put three letters AAA. ... uppercase, :p ) in build.prop. I do not know the consequences of this, . However it work..

Tecnical Information:
    If you decompile netflix apk you can see this(WTF).
    Code:
     if (Build.MANUFACTURER.equals("Amazon") && (Build.MODEL.equals("KFOT") || Build.MODEL.equals("KFTT") || Build.MODEL.equals("KFJWA") || Build.MODEL.equals("KFJWI")))
            {
                Log.d("screen", "PlayScreen for Amazon Kindle HD");
                return new PlayScreenKindleHD(playerfragment, listeners1, postplaytype);
            }
            if (i >= 14)
            {
                Log.d("screen", "PlayScreen for ICS (Android 4+");
                return new PlayScreenICS(playerfragment, listeners1, postplaytype);
            }
            if (Build.MODEL.equals("Kindle Fire") && Build.MANUFACTURER.equals("Amazon"))
            {
                Log.d("screen", "PlayScreen for Amazon Kindle Fire");
                return new PlayScreenKindleFire(playerfragment, listeners1, postplaytype);
            } else

Now my netflix on my Amazon fire use chromecast fine! (i think that playstore and chromecast app are needed)

By
    A.
    Also helped with WatchESPN

I was having the same problem with WatchESPN not showing the cast button on my rooted 3rd gen 2013 Fire HD (OS 4.5.5.1).
    I tried the Market Helper app, but it didn't activate any missing cast buttons for me.

I then proceeded with the build.prop edit only after making a full TWRP backup.
    I only changed ro.product.manufacturer to Amaazon and rebooted.

Worked like a charm. Been testing various functions on the Kindle for a few days and nothing seems affected.
    My prime videos and music load fine, and apps install (no incompatible device messages) from google play.
    Will post an update if something odd occurs.
    Will most likely change the setting back to the original before making newer backups and then re-enter it when finished just as an extra precaution.

One month update: Chromecast working well with apps on the kindle. No ill effects from build.prop edit.