Eonon GA2170

Search This thread

5ft24

Apr 21, 2011
Mount Vernon
Anyone else have this HU?
Uses the RK-PX5 octocore 1.6ghz processor.
Android 8.0 Oreo, 4G RAM, Octa-core & 32G ROM, Split Screen and PIP Multitasking
Had mine for about a month, and really like it

Reactions: eonon

ffthe01

Oct 4, 2017
Thinking to get it. I currently have GA2162. Just wondering how quick wifi signals are on it? Considering it has no external wifi antenna like GA2162.

5ft24

Apr 21, 2011
Mount Vernon
I was concerned about that as well. Seems to pick up WiFi just as good as my GA2160 did. All the Xfinity wifi going down the road it grabs. Much more responsive as well.

emanresu_

May 13, 2010
I just got this model. Like it so far but just a few things I want to change.
Any luck with doing anything with the home screen? or modifying it in general?
I am looking to change the home screen apps to something besides the preinstalled ones. and change the ugly ass clock.
I a trying to remap the NAVI button to something other than google maps.
Thanks

eonon

Mar 22, 2018
very dim screen, brightness set to 100%

Android 8.0 Oreo, 4G RAM, Octa-core & 32G ROM, Split Screen and PIP Multitasking

Hi, anyone who had this unit suffers same issue as mine, very low brightness, dim LCD screen, unpleasant to view in most time of the day, otherwise versatile in function, anyone know the issues or how to fix it, change firmware or hardware?
how this is compared to the similar faced pumpkin HU : AE0273B
Looks identical tome, and why one is 60 dollar more than the other? screen brightness ( different grade of light source, different wifi chip, etc....) Any one can afford to buy two of them and make a compassion review?

Hi, anyone who had this unit suffers same issue as mine, very low brightness, dim LCD screen, unpleasant to view in most time of the day, otherwise versatile in function, anyone know the issues or how to fix it, change firmware or hardware?
how this is compared to the similar faced pumpkin HU : AE0273B
Looks identical tome, and why one is 60 dollar more than the other? screen brightness ( different grade of light source, different wifi chip, etc....) Any one can afford to buy two of them and make a compassion review?

I asked the very question of pumpkin on amazon and this is what they replied

"We checked the list of Eonon,and we consulted with our engineer,he informs that the bluetooth and wifi module are different,we use higher chip for this model.

We guarantee that our products and customer service would not disappoint you."

i still went ahead and bought the pumpkin. the screen is fine i added a matt screen protector as for changing the firmware i have been unable to root it and the factory reset only wipes apps and a few settings. not a full return to factory settings (found that out the hard way)

Last edited:

yellaboyla

Jun 16, 2008
Westlake
I got mine yesterday. Super responsive. Have not noticed any issues so far. As far as the brightness, my truck is limo tinted, and my radio is at a slight angle. It really does not bug me. I like it overall. I have not tried to root yet, but that is my next step. I can confirm OREO 8 on the unit.

I got mine yesterday. Super responsive. Have not noticed any issues so far. As far as the brightness, my truck is limo tinted, and my radio is at a slight angle. It really does not bug me. I like it overall. I have not tried to root yet, but that is my next step. I can confirm OREO 8 on the unit.
if you manage to get root, please let us know how

ffthe01

Oct 4, 2017
The unit is great. Far better than GA2162 but as expected wifi has poor coverage should have given that external antenna as optional.

Anyway can anyone tell me how to stop the HU to kill the app like my camera recording after it comes back from sleep. GA2162 never used to do it.

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

I just got this model. Like it so far but just a few things I want to change.
Any luck with doing anything with the home screen? or modifying it in general?
I am looking to change the home screen apps to something besides the preinstalled ones. and change the ugly ass clock.
I a trying to remap the NAVI button to something other than google maps.
Thanks

Hold onto the app icons for few seconds, it will ask to select an app.

No you cannot get rid off ugly ass clock but you can move the main page to end and modify the first page with widgets and icons.

Go to settings >navigation and there will be an option to select an app for navigation physical button.

Reactions: emanresu_

eonon

Mar 22, 2018
thanks, f/u the dim screen issue

I asked the very question of pumpkin on amazon and this is what they replied

"We checked the list of Eonon,and we consulted with our engineer,he informs that the bluetooth and wifi module are different,we use higher chip for this model.

We guarantee that our products and customer service would not disappoint you."

i still went ahead and bought the pumpkin. the screen is fine i added a matt screen protector as for changing the firmware i have been unable to root it and the factory reset only wipes apps and a few settings. not a full return to factory settings (found that out the hard way)

Great feedback info, should be very helpful for any others who want to buy one of these HU, if I knew these info ahead, I will buy the pumpkin, I did a review atAmazon site to share my experiences. I had a hard time to return it (GA2170, Eonon brand), I did note that pumpkin has the way better Wi-Fi antenna ( before I bought this Eonon while doing the research on both HU), I aslo paid a attention to the other Xtron brand, but I gave that up due to that model didn't have a large physical button, my theory is that, if you use it during driving ( in motion or in darkness), a physical button is way better than the touch feel button ( although flush surface Xtron panel looks cool and better), even I'm minimalist kind of thinking, I still think with large physical button is the way to go ( design) , Both the internal and external mic-phones the Eonon are not flattering at all.:)

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

Thanks! regarding the ambient light, mine is Honda fit, much lighter than yours ( bright ):) But that's not my issue, I personally found, even during cloudy ( with flurries the weekend in NE) days, it's uncomfortable to view, by view, I mean you watch some photos/videos, not just their app screens ( where they did a greater contrast icon design and the fonts does look clear to me, in any condition except direct sunlight. ).
I tried Youtube videos, ( CNN news, etc), I tried DVD quality movies ( Kill the messenger and Fast and furious 6), in cloudy and around sunset days (weekends), very disappointing, .... I don't wish to have more bad words to bad-mouth any sellers, I'm just trying to tell what I felt and want to know what other users have and think.
I even asked myself, could these type android HU is designed for its multifuction, only, not really for imaging/video displaying, cause you're driving ( in motion), not sit in a couch to enjoy a movie night ( in a 7'; TFE lcd screen). the fundamental design is for information display ( like GPS, BT phones calls) not for entertainment. In another word, I should not expected such HU for that kind of purpose, but I what I though is that I want use it while I'm waiting for someone ( eg, airport pickup, after school , activities pickups) while in a stop condition. I won't watch video during driving ( in motion), plus all manufactures advertise their HU for such entertainment.

yellaboyla

Jun 16, 2008
Westlake
Great feedback info, should be very helpful for any others who want to buy one of these HU, if I knew these info ahead, I will buy the pumpkin, I did a review atAmazon site to share my experiences. I had a hard time to return it (GA2170, Eonon brand), I did note that pumpkin has the way better Wi-Fi antenna ( before I bought this Eonon while doing the research on both HU), I aslo paid a attention to the other Xtron brand, but I gave that up due to that model didn't have a large physical button, my theory is that, if you use it during driving ( in motion or in darkness), a physical button is way better than the touch feel button ( although flush surface Xtron panel looks cool and better), even I'm minimalist kind of thinking, I still think with large physical button is the way to go ( design) , Both the internal and external mic-phones the Eonon are not flattering at all.:)

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

Thanks! regarding the ambient light, mine is Honda fit, much lighter than yours ( bright ):) But that's not my issue, I personally found, even during cloudy ( with flurries the weekend in NE) days, it's uncomfortable to view, by view, I mean you watch some photos/videos, not just their app screens ( where they did a greater contrast icon design and the fonts does look clear to me, in any condition except direct sunlight. ).
I tried Youtube videos, ( CNN news, etc), I tried DVD quality movies ( Kill the messenger and Fast and furious 6), in cloudy and around sunset days (weekends), very disappointing, .... I don't wish to have more bad words to bad-mouth any sellers, I'm just trying to tell what I felt and want to know what other users have and think.
I even asked myself, could these type android HU is designed for its multifuction, only, not really for imaging/video displaying, cause you're driving ( in motion), not sit in a couch to enjoy a movie night ( in a 7'; TFE lcd screen). the fundamental design is for information display ( like GPS, BT phones calls) not for entertainment. In another word, I should not expected such HU for that kind of purpose, but I what I though is that I want use it while I'm waiting for someone ( eg, airport pickup, after school , activities pickups) while in a stop condition. I won't watch video during driving ( in motion), plus all manufactures advertise their HU for such entertainment.

Totally agree......
I road around today and I did notice at times the screen being hard to see. I put n youtube, and videos were hard to see at noon. Sux, I love the unit. Needs more contrast. At night, it is perfect.

capo76

Mar 26, 2018
Hello. I have installed this unit today on my alfa147. Is all ok also the dab+ kit. I have only 2 problem. The dimension of the display borfer that dont put perfectly in my double din chassis and i cant use the gsm dongle because oreo see the usb but i dont have the 3g menù in the configuration.
Cpu and display ok. Very beautiful the split screen with navigator and radio.

capo76

Mar 26, 2018
After some test, i have found some problem...
1 - The display, with sun, is not bright
2 - After every reboot, i lost my wheel command configuration
3 - My USB 3g Dongle is not compatible with Oreo and i must do the root for install PPP Widget for use it

I have send a message to eonon via messenger and they send me the link for a firmware upgrade EONON-px5_8.0_kld10_ota_20180131.rar

Now i try this one but probably i install the Malaysk Custom ROM , but i'm not sure because this rom is too younger.

has anyone already installed this rom on this hu?:D

ffthe01

Oct 4, 2017
the head unit has worst wifi ever and Bluetooth sometimes messes up too. Anyway, anyone knows how to prevent it from killing the background running apps after it comes back from sleep?

5ft24

Apr 21, 2011
Mount Vernon
the head unit has worst wifi ever and Bluetooth sometimes messes up too. Anyway, anyone knows how to prevent it from killing the background running apps after it comes back from sleep?

Haven't had any issues with mine other than constant power and switched power were reversed on the adapter harness. WiFi is as good as my GA 2160 was with the external antenna, and no issues with Bluetooth... Actually better than my old one!

eonon

Mar 22, 2018
Hello. I have installed this unit today on my alfa147. Is all ok also the dab+ kit. I have only 2 problem. The dimension of the display borfer that dont put perfectly in my double din chassis ...

Yes, I had the same issue and I wrote a similar review on Ebay and Amazon sites to warn the potential buyers to look deeper before buying, we may say that their HU dimension is not up to ISO standard, sub mm bigger.

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

After some test, i have found some problem...
1 - The display, with sun, is not bright
very disappointing screen, no scale ( contrast) adjustment, there is brightness level adjustment function, and just 3 weeks, my GA2170 had more issues now, the illumination light flicking every 6 seconds every time I switch light on. quite annoying, and lcd screen will also flick at the same pace, dim, bright, dim, bright. very concerning about protuct's quality now, I'm contact them see what's the bottom of it. (noting if I disable the night mode brightness adjustment in the factory setting, the flicking will be much flaster at interval of every second:mad::mad:
:crying:

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

Totally agree, that's the other reviewer mentioned about the pumpkin, which had superior chips, but a bit expensive than GA2170:)

emanresu_

May 13, 2010
Which slot is the GPS card and which one is the SD Card.
Lables are top to bottom but slots are side to side.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Eonon heatsink and FW question

Hi all,
    Just got the GA2170 head-unit the other day and already love this thing, aside from the daylight screen washout a bit. Seems to work pretty nicely, but still had to mess with it, as I am a tinkerer. I attached some pics of a heat-sink mod I did, wish i took more but general idea is there.
    The super thin and crappy heat-spreader on the PX5 is awful and ran high in temps with only a few minutes running, so i can imagine in the car is much worse. Some chip temps were 160 F?!
    Anyway,I took off the module and unscrewed the heat-sink. Only had the small thermal patch on it to the pX5, so I added a better material with some thermal compound and also dabbed some on the memory chips to help (though they don't really touch the heat spreader, but at least a little extra help).
    I then sanded the top of the heats-spreader as smooth as I could make it, so the transfer of heat to the new heat-sink is better.
    I then screwed a 12 volt small ball-bearing fan on top and connected the fan to the 9 volt regulator on the board. This way the fan does not run fast enough to wear fast and also is not even audible when installed.
    I chose not to make extra holes in the case of the unit, but it has enough smaller holes to help for now. I'll see how it goes.
    photos.app.goo.gl/w9KdDgnF8KjPhzix2
    Thinking to get it. I currently have GA2162. Just wondering how quick wifi signals are on it? Considering it has no external wifi antenna like GA2162.
    I was concerned about that as well. Seems to pick up WiFi just as good as my GA2160 did. All the Xfinity wifi going down the road it grabs. Much more responsive as well.
    I have the same problem when i connect a wifi dongle and the digital radio adapter on usb. The usb port restart. I think it is a power problem.
    I want to try to use an usb hub with external power at 12v to try this