Waiting instead of updating?!

Search This thread

toyanucci

May 28, 2010
OnePlus 9
I'm a little confused as to why so many people are waiting instead of updating to the available 4.4.2. People been clamoring for the update and it's finally available and everyone is asking if they should update or shouldn't?

The Knox issue I can understand, but I've rooted all my devices the day I get them from the HTC nexus one days. I didnt even boot into my Note 10.1 2014 stock, out the box I installed twrp and rooted. The benefits of root far outweigh potential issues and the guides are fool proof. Re warranty, I've seen no reports of Samsung turning anyone back because of Knox. Case in point so many of the refurbished ones sold recently were received with Knox tripped, it's not that big a deal, besides, especially for those in America, most stores offer 30 day returns no questions asked so it's neither here nor there.

The fact is, the update is available now, it makes the tablet so much more of a joy to use and has so many improvements that I just don't get this whole "should I wait? When will the OTA come to my country" thing. Anyhow, I guess to each his own, but the reality is some of you waiting potentially may not even live long enough for the update you're waiting on lol. Live in the now guys!

Also, so many are complaining about the exclusion of Magazine UX, though almost everyone on here says the first thing they do is install Nova or some other launcher, so why is it an issue for them? It's just odd...

Anyhow, rant done.

Lol.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

thachosenone

Dec 20, 2010
I'd love to update, but I've kept it stock since launch. I have many notes for school on papyrus that I would like to keep, but I understand that data wipe is recommended. Any way around this?

Id love to root and use a few xposed mods to make it more like the pro series.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

dustfinger314

Jul 23, 2011
I'd love to update, but I've kept it stock since launch. I have many notes for school on papyrus that I would like to keep, but I understand that data wipe is recommended. Any way around this?

If you just want Papyrus notes backup, it looks like their cloud services premium feature will do it if you don't mind the $3 in app purchase. If you are looking for a more comprehensive option, there are several ways to backup your data. Through a little Googling, I found this guide to backing up using adb without root. Or you can go ahead and root before updating, and then use something like Titanium Backup to back up your data and then restore. This is just from a cursory look for options, look around, read into different things and see which approach fits your needs.

poplectic

Jun 16, 2011
South Shields
KNOX doesn't bother me as regards losing warranty. It has stopped me from rooting for the first time ever for fear of resale consequences. I just know that if I sell it on eBay with knox tripped and I do disclose it in my description people will be asking for a lower price whereas if I don't mention it the buyer will be contacting me a week later moaning that I didn't tell him I'd tripped knox. A real potential headache that I can't be bothered with so samsung have finally succeeded in stopping me rooting my device one way or another.

Sent from my alphanumeric pager

toyanucci

May 28, 2010
OnePlus 9

If you pay for papyrus you can backup to Dropbox. Also, updating with Odin you won't lose any information. I didn't wipe before updating and I have no issues whatsoever.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
A couple of reasons...

1. The N10.1-14 is a productivity/creation device; at least Samsung's marketing that way. Some people do actually connect to secure networks and more and more are reading the KNOX chip for authentication. I personally use KNOX and three of the five secure networks I connect to are KNOX enabled.

2. The question of warranty support on devices with tripped KNOX flags is kind of grey. Not everyone wants to personally test Samsung's warranty policies.

3. Rooted devices can't use AllShare Cast, have DRM issues with certain apps, can't play DRM content acquired from Samsung Hub, and can't receive OTA updates. Xposed can overcome some of that but not everyone wants a "Franken-phone."

4. Regional ROMs have very different feature sets. A personal example. Someone here was raving about the performance improvements of the new P601 ROM for Guatemala so I tried it. They failed to mention it was a carrier ROM (Claro), all the stock app icons were replaced with crappy looking "Claro" interpretations, 500MB of non-removable demo games were installed, and Samsung Hub no longer supported anything but books. When I flashed back to the Trinidad ROM the Guatemala ROM either overlaid or removed a file causing an indexing FC loop. I had to completely wipe and rebuild my tablet to get back to where I started in the first place. My tablets are typically from Trinidad which serves the Caribbean and parts of Central and South America and have most of the North American features enabled. I never use Asian ROMs, Eastern European ROMs, Latin American ROMs (other than Brazil) or any carrier ROM from anywhere. Both because of what's missing and what's needlessly included.
None of this matters to people who bought their N10.1-14 as a piece of h/w but does to those of us that use and value its features. Probably 1/3 here actually appreciate the stock features, 1/3 hate TW and Samsung's proprietary apps, and the other 1/3 are somewhere in between. To each their own. ;)

pierrekid

Oct 23, 2010
As an add on, there is no risk in trying the update. There is no Knox trip and once our Ota arrives just use Odin to flash that on top. Either way you don't risk anything and you get to enjoy kitkat. Seriously there is no reason anyone on this forum should not be trying this amazing update.

Vaakmeisster

Apr 17, 2014
Lagos
SM P601

I use the wifi+3g version of the note 10.1(2014). I am not going to risk updating until someone else does it and shows me screenshots of the update not ****ing up their device in anyway. Till then,fingers are tightly crossed!:cowboy:

thachosenone

Dec 20, 2010
If you just want Papyrus notes backup, it looks like their cloud services premium feature will do it if you don't mind the $3 in app purchase. If you are looking for a more comprehensive option, there are several ways to backup your data. Through a little Googling, I found this guide to backing up using adb without root. Or you can go ahead and root before updating, and then use something like Titanium Backup to back up your data and then restore. This is just from a cursory look for options, look around, read into different things and see which approach fits your needs.

I get an error trying to purchase the in app backup option. I'm in the usa

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

poplectic

Jun 16, 2011
South Shields
As an add on, there is no risk in trying the update. There is no Knox trip and once our Ota arrives just use Odin to flash that on top. Either way you don't risk anything and you get to enjoy kitkat. Seriously there is no reason anyone on this forum should not be trying this amazing update.

Isn't there a risk I may have to do a factory reset if I'm having issues after the flash? I really couldn't be bothered setting everything up and getting all the data I have back on it.

pierrekid

Oct 23, 2010
Isn't there a risk I may have to do a factory reset if I'm having issues after the flash? I really couldn't be bothered setting everything up and getting all the data I have back on it.

That's the same risk you take updating to any new software. It's the same recommendation whether it be an official update or a custom ROM. So no there is no elevated risk.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

toyanucci

May 28, 2010
OnePlus 9
That's the same risk you take updating to any new software. It's the same recommendation whether it be an official update or a custom ROM. So no there is no elevated risk.

And this is one of the positives of root...a nandroid backup! Before any update I do a nandroid backup in twrp so should anything go wrong, I just restore and it comes back exactly as it was when baked up.

Reactions: pierrekid

pierrekid

Oct 23, 2010
Exactly. With an official update you don't even have that option

thachosenone

Dec 20, 2010
Is there a root method yet? I would like to use xposed mods to make this a pro line tablet.

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
I'm a little confused as to why so many people are waiting instead of updating to the available 4.4.2. People been clamoring for the update and it's finally available and everyone is asking if they should update or shouldn't?

The Knox issue I can understand, but I've rooted all my devices the day I get them from the HTC nexus one days. I didnt even boot into my Note 10.1 2014 stock, out the box I installed twrp and rooted. The benefits of root far outweigh potential issues and the guides are fool proof. Re warranty, I've seen no reports of Samsung turning anyone back because of Knox. Case in point so many of the refurbished ones sold recently were received with Knox tripped, it's not that big a deal, besides, especially for those in America, most stores offer 30 day returns no questions asked so it's neither here nor there.

The fact is, the update is available now, it makes the tablet so much more of a joy to use and has so many improvements that I just don't get this whole "should I wait? When will the OTA come to my country" thing. Anyhow, I guess to each his own, but the reality is some of you waiting potentially may not even live long enough for the update you're waiting on lol. Live in the now guys!

Also, so many are complaining about the exclusion of Magazine UX, though almost everyone on here says the first thing they do is install Nova or some other launcher, so why is it an issue for them? It's just odd...

Anyhow, rant done.

Lol.

I am waiting. Reports are that game emulators are slower for some reason with Kitkat and that besides video is a key reason I have this device. Can not be bothered to go through the root process either.

Not seeing the value add verses the risk with a $550 device.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A couple of reasons...

1. The N10.1-14 is a productivity/creation device; at least Samsung's marketing that way. Some people do actually connect to secure networks and more and more are reading the KNOX chip for authentication. I personally use KNOX and three of the five secure networks I connect to are KNOX enabled.

2. The question of warranty support on devices with tripped KNOX flags is kind of grey. Not everyone wants to personally test Samsung's warranty policies.

3. Rooted devices can't use AllShare Cast, have DRM issues with certain apps, can't play DRM content acquired from Samsung Hub, and can't receive OTA updates. Xposed can overcome some of that but not everyone wants a "Franken-phone."

4. Regional ROMs have very different feature sets. A personal example. Someone here was raving about the performance improvements of the new P601 ROM for Guatemala so I tried it. They failed to mention it was a carrier ROM (Claro), all the stock app icons were replaced with crappy looking "Claro" interpretations, 500MB of non-removable demo games were installed, and Samsung Hub no longer supported anything but books. When I flashed back to the Trinidad ROM the Guatemala ROM either overlaid or removed a file causing an indexing FC loop. I had to completely wipe and rebuild my tablet to get back to where I started in the first place. My tablets are typically from Trinidad which serves the Caribbean and parts of Central and South America and have most of the North American features enabled. I never use Asian ROMs, Eastern European ROMs, Latin American ROMs (other than Brazil) or any carrier ROM from anywhere. Both because of what's missing and what's needlessly included.
    None of this matters to people who bought their N10.1-14 as a piece of h/w but does to those of us that use and value its features. Probably 1/3 here actually appreciate the stock features, 1/3 hate TW and Samsung's proprietary apps, and the other 1/3 are somewhere in between. To each their own. ;)

And this is one of the positives of root...a nandroid backup! Before any update I do a nandroid backup in twrp so should anything go wrong, I just restore and it comes back exactly as it was when baked up.

Stop it! You've almost got me convinced!

Stop it! You've almost got me convinced!

I know it sucks :/ I've always rooted and ran custom roms on my devices going back to my S1 and HTC desire. I don't fear the potential warranty issues myself, its just the resale of it is going to be 10x more difficult :( FYI I've never held on to a device for more than 2 years.
    I am waiting. Reports are that game emulators are slower for some reason with Kitkat and that besides video is a key reason I have this device. Can not be bothered to go through the root process either.

You've seen reports here that anything is slower on this tablet after updating?