Problem, Samsung?

usb_notification.jpg

usb_host.jpg

Recipe:
1 dock connector from Kineteka
2 10k ohm resistors - needs to be 20k, a single 22k is too much
1 donor USB extender cable
Various heat shrink, tape, etc to taste

Pinout here. With the connector plugged into the Tab, and the Tab oriented with the chat camera on top and the connector on bottom, pin 1 is to the left of the connector.

Chop off the plug end of the extender, separate out the wires, cut / strip / tin. Cut off the shield. Slide on the plastic shroud for the dock plug and a piece of heat shrink for strain relief. Don't forget this or you'll have to undo the whole thing (like I did). You might also want to cut thin heat shrink to go around each wire to protect it from shorting at the connector pins.

Solder the two resistors in series and put them between pins 13 and 15. This tells the Tab to go into OTG host mode. Be creative. Surface mount parts might be better here.

Solder:

ground (black) to pin 1
green (D+) to pin 3
white (D-) to pin 4
red (+5V) to pin 6

Test this out before shrinking the pins by plugging into the Tab along with a USB key. If it works, you should get the message above.

Once it works, put the connector shield, spring clip, and shroud on.

All said and done, this comes out to about half the price of the Samsung adapter, but at the expense of some elbow grease and potential unreliability. I expect clones will be showing up on eBay someday though, so if I've done anything useful here it's to entice our friends in China to start their assembly lines.

Last edited:

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin
Clean it up and start selling them imo.

Better?

IMG_20110701_003527.jpg

Taken before I have to ugly it up with a bit of hot glue. The connector housing is too shallow to fit the resistors and make a good strain relief with heat shrink. I also noticed that the retainer ring that holds the housing together pops right off when you unplug the connector. A little super glue needs to go there too.

Last edited:

time_shock

Jan 8, 2010
i'm hoping that the connector can allow you to utilise many of the pins at once.. i'm thinking of designing an all in one connector that has USB host/OTG connectivity and allows me to charge the device and still allows me to use HDMI/component video out

used2hvatreo

Jun 26, 2008
Houston
i'm hoping that the connector can allow you to utilise many of the pins at once.. i'm thinking of designing an all in one connector that has USB host/OTG connectivity and allows me to charge the device and still allows me to use HDMI/component video out

I will pay you infinity for that, give you my firstborn, whatever you want. But seriously, what use is a "media dock" if you can't charge while I are passing hdmi thru.

Back on topic, nice job OP, that is my new weekend project

nemir

Feb 11, 2007
New York
Nice job.

Since I don't have a galaxy tab 10.1 . I have an idea :

212L36gWWDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Is it possible to use female female usb adapter for the GT ?

does any GT10.1 owner verify whether or not this method is working?

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin
Nice job.

Since I don't have a galaxy tab 10.1 . I have an idea :

212L36gWWDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Is it possible to use female female usb adapter for the GT ?

does any GT10.1 owner verify whether or not this method is working?

Nope, won't work. With this you won't get the 5V power from the tablet, and you won't have the resistor on the ID pin to tell it to go into OTG mode. I suppose you could provide your own 5V power to the device, and hack the kernel to force it into OTG. But that's probably as much trouble as building a cable anyway.

ericlmccormick

Feb 20, 2009
Columbia
This is awesome! Do you know if it will handle only one item at a time or could you hook a hub to it and run like a hard drive and keyboard at the same time?

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin
This is awesome! Do you know if it will handle only one item at a time or could you hook a hub to it and run like a hard drive and keyboard at the same time?

Haven't tried a hub yet, but I'll do so when I get home later. The Transformer has multiple ports on its dock so presumably that should be ok. There is a power budget limit though, since I got a dock warning about overcurrent when I tried a USB powered hard drive. A powered hub might fix that.

ericlmccormick

Feb 20, 2009
Columbia
If you create a cable that charges the Tab while using it in host mode, you could probably pull the power off the charging cable instead of from the accessory pin.
If doing that, might want a selector switch or diode to keep current from flowing into the accessory pin.

I ordered a few of the 30pin connectors yesterday and I am starting my designing now for my "docking station". I am trying to figure out if I will have 1 or 4 USBs on it.

dsh897

Dec 19, 2007
Haven't tried a hub yet, but I'll do so when I get home later. The Transformer has multiple ports on its dock so presumably that should be ok. There is a power budget limit though, since I got a dock warning about overcurrent when I tried a USB powered hard drive. A powered hub might fix that.

Omg thankyou so much, I've been waiting for this. i was missing the two 10 ohm resistors!!!!!
Already cut up a USB and galaxy cable trying this..

will try this when i get home. im at work. let you know what i find

Last edited:

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin
Haven't tried a hub yet, but I'll do so when I get home later.

Sure enough, with a powered hub I can hook up a USB stick, a USB powered hard drive, and a mouse. I tried a USB audio adapter as well as a 360 wireless controller via the PC USB wireless adapter, both were unrecognized. I think I remember hearing that the latter was explicitly unsupported, though I figured I'd try.

Disks show up in /sdcard/usbstorage/sda /sdb ... for as many drives as you plug in.

used2hvatreo

Jun 26, 2008
Houston
Sure enough, with a powered hub I can hook up a USB stick, a USB powered hard drive, and a mouse. I tried a USB audio adapter as well as a 360 wireless controller via the PC USB wireless adapter, both were unrecognized. I think I remember hearing that the latter was explicitly unsupported, though I figured I'd try.

Disks show up in /sdcard/usbstorage/sda /sdb ... for as many drives as you plug in.

So does HDMI share any of the same pins as the USB? I ask because I am gonna piece together a hub and then add an HDMI cable to that, and then plug that into the media dock, and then it will be a true dock. Just need to get power for charging involved in that mix

inline4

Jul 13, 2009
can you try hooking up an usb microphone? I'd like to see if they will work and how well. I have a samson go mic that I wouldnt mind using as a recording tool.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Problem, Samsung?

usb_notification.jpg

usb_host.jpg

Recipe:
    1 dock connector from Kineteka
    2 10k ohm resistors - needs to be 20k, a single 22k is too much
    1 donor USB extender cable
    Various heat shrink, tape, etc to taste

Pinout here. With the connector plugged into the Tab, and the Tab oriented with the chat camera on top and the connector on bottom, pin 1 is to the left of the connector.

Chop off the plug end of the extender, separate out the wires, cut / strip / tin. Cut off the shield. Slide on the plastic shroud for the dock plug and a piece of heat shrink for strain relief. Don't forget this or you'll have to undo the whole thing (like I did). You might also want to cut thin heat shrink to go around each wire to protect it from shorting at the connector pins.

Solder the two resistors in series and put them between pins 13 and 15. This tells the Tab to go into OTG host mode. Be creative. Surface mount parts might be better here.

Solder:

ground (black) to pin 1
    green (D+) to pin 3
    white (D-) to pin 4
    red (+5V) to pin 6

Test this out before shrinking the pins by plugging into the Tab along with a USB key. If it works, you should get the message above.

Once it works, put the connector shield, spring clip, and shroud on.

All said and done, this comes out to about half the price of the Samsung adapter, but at the expense of some elbow grease and potential unreliability. I expect clones will be showing up on eBay someday though, so if I've done anything useful here it's to entice our friends in China to start their assembly lines.

Better?

IMG_20110701_003527.jpg

Taken before I have to ugly it up with a bit of hot glue. The connector housing is too shallow to fit the resistors and make a good strain relief with heat shrink. I also noticed that the retainer ring that holds the housing together pops right off when you unplug the connector. A little super glue needs to go there too.
    So even mouse works ... but do you see actual pointer on the screen ? Sorry i am curious :)) tnx for fast feedback

Yep! A cute little blue mouse shows up. Scrolling works too. Don't think right click does anything though, I forget.
    I know this an old thread but i just wanted to point out a post in the P6200 hardware section, since it seems to have accomplished exactly what the person above me was attempting to do. XDA member "emil_b" claims to have modified the multimedia dock to simultaneously do hdmi out, trickle charge the tab , & serve as usb host! In case some u may not know, the same dock works with ALL tab variants(PERSONALLY ONLY TESTED WITH P1000, P7100, P6200, P6210 BUT 99% CERTAIN) so if this proves true, this should be shared with all the other tab forums in hopes that it can be made into an actual product.

Here is the original post
    http://xdaforums.com/show...2#post28302552
    Fix your link. Please.