How To - Load full desktop websites permanently in Chrome for Android Mobile

Search This thread

omac_ranger

Apr 7, 2010
www.droidnerds.com
Hey guys, I wrote an article over on our site that shows a quick walkthrough on how to display full desktop websites permanently on Chrome for Android Mobile so that you don't have to visit the mobile site, then hit "request desktop site" button any more. Considering Chrome is an awesome browser with full sync, and works very well on Jelly Bean, this might be of use to all of you. I know I was sick of having to constantly click the button.

Article: How To – Permanently Have Desktop Mode on Chrome Mobile for Android

Rooted device Instructions:
Copy the chrome-command-line.txt file attached to the post, then paste it into /data/local/ making sure to set the permissions to 755 and to remove the '.txt' file extension.

Flashable .zip, for the lazy:
You should know how to use this by now. Grab the attached ChromeDE.zip provided by XDA user djmcnz and flash away! (Thanks!) You can also drop him a thanks by visiting a post of his later in this thread.

ADB Instructions (for non-rooted devices):
Place the chrome-command-line.txt file in the root directory of your PC and rename it to 'chrome-command-line', then make sure your device is connected to your computer. When connected, issue this command:
Code:
adb push /chrome-command-line /data/local/chrome-command-line

You can also set the path on your computer where the file is located by replacing the first '/chrome-command-line' with the file location.

Cheers! Hopefully we'll see a better implementation of this in the upcoming 4.2 release.

Attachments

• ChromeDE.zip
    154.3 KB · Views: 26,596
  • chrome-command-line.txt
    127 bytes · Views: 118,009
Last edited:

b3ava

Jul 4, 2011
thank you very well apreciated:) is there any chance you can write 1 on how to make it more stable?:p

omac_ranger

Apr 7, 2010
www.droidnerds.com
thank you very well apreciated:) is there any chance you can write 1 on how to make it more stable?:p

Thanks guys, glad I could help. Wish I knew how to make it more stable! It seems that it runs much better on Jelly Bean, but us ICS users are still stuck with it being really slow and buggy

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA Premium HD app

bunnybash

Sep 18, 2010
Perth
OnePlus 7 Pro
I am stuck trying to figure out what "set permissions to 755" means...

it seems in the video you just tick different boxes, how does that relate to 755??

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: MarrowK

omac_ranger

Apr 7, 2010
www.droidnerds.com
I am stuck trying to figure out what "set permissions to 755" means...

it seems in the video you just tick different boxes, how does that relate to 755??

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

I'm using solid explorer off of the market (a free file manager) which allows you to set the permissions of a file. In solid explorer, they are set by ticking the correct boxes, whereas in other applications they are typed in by number..

rockky

Oct 2, 2006
chicago
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Hey thanks for this....huge chrome pet peeve of mine...
Can you write a command for FULL screen!!
When i click the download command file (on Nexus)it just opens to a large field with text...nothing downloads.
Suggestion?
thanks

Reactions: g1xx3r

omac_ranger

Apr 7, 2010
www.droidnerds.com
Hey thanks for this....huge chrome pet peeve of mine...
Can you write a command for FULL screen!!
When i click the download command file (on Nexus)it just opens to a large field with text...nothing downloads.
Suggestion?
thanks

You can just copy the text and paste it into the correct location in a file called "chrome-command-line"

rockky

Oct 2, 2006
chicago
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Thanks very much...got it.
Hey, (cough ;), hate to push a good thing) do you think you could produce a similar command to enable full screen on chrome mobile?!!

QUOTE=omac_ranger;30213316]You can just copy the text and paste it into the correct location in a file called "chrome-command-line"

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA Premium HD app[/QUOTE]

omac_ranger

Apr 7, 2010
www.droidnerds.com
Thanks very much...got it.
Hey, (cough ;), hate to push a good thing) do you think you could produce a similar command to enable full screen on chrome mobile?!!

QUOTE=omac_ranger;30213316]You can just copy the text and paste it into the correct location in a file called "chrome-command-line"

Don't think it works that way mate. That one was built into Chrome, just enabled by the file.

omac_ranger

Apr 7, 2010
www.droidnerds.com
Good tip but it can be improved.

You don't need root to write to /data/local/ so in theory this trick will work for everyone, might pay to update the article.

No? When testing with a Nexus 7 unrooted you cannot navigate to Data/local through Solid Explorer. Naturally I thought it had to be rooted. If you have had success with a different file manager (or pushed it through ADB) then letting me know what worked would be great.

djmcnz

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
OnePlus 8
Google Pixel 8
No? When testing with a Nexus 7 unrooted you cannot navigate to Data/local through Solid Explorer. Naturally I thought it had to be rooted. If you have had success with a different file manager (or pushed it through ADB) then letting me know what worked would be great.

You'll be able to get to it in a terminal window or adb - not sure what's up with Solid, equally an update.zip will work without root.

/data/local/ is r/w for the local user and shell.

try - echo test > /data/local/test.txt on a non-rooted device, it'll work.

Actually, now that think about it more - Solid probably can't list the contents of / (root) so you can't navigate to sub directories. Can you type a path into Solid? That should work.

omac_ranger

Apr 7, 2010
www.droidnerds.com
You'll be able to get to it in a terminal window or adb - not sure what's up with Solid, equally an update.zip will work without root.

/data/local/ is r/w for the local user and shell.

try - echo test > /data/local/test.txt on a non-rooted device, it'll work.

Actually, now that think about it more - Solid probably can't list the contents of / (root) so you can't navigate to sub directories. Can you type a path into Solid? That should work.

I'll definitely test that out and put a guide for newbies on there. Solid displays the root directory, but will not allow you to navigate to a folder inside of it. I was thinking about ease of access for the user, and assumed they wouldn't want to go the adb route. My bad, but thank you for the heads up.

djmcnz

Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
OnePlus 8
Google Pixel 8
I'll definitely test that out and put a guide for newbies on there. Solid displays the root directory, but will not allow you to navigate to a folder inside of it. I was thinking about ease of access for the user, and assumed they wouldn't want to go the adb route. My bad, but thank you for the heads up.

If you want it as easy as possible you could provide an update.zip for those with a custom recovery - that's going to be the simplest way. If you want to do that and need some help let me know.

omac_ranger

Apr 7, 2010
www.droidnerds.com
If you want it as easy as possible you could provide an update.zip for those with a custom recovery - that's going to be the simplest way. If you want to do that and need some help let me know.

Yeah I would love some help with that. I've never tried to compile my own before. I have a few tools bookmarked, but haven't gone through with testing them too thoroughly.

well spotted and thanks for posting

No problem. Mind dropping a thanks? Waiting at 99 is a huge pain the arse.

Reactions: djmcnz

djmcnz

Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
OnePlus 8
Google Pixel 8
Yeah I would love some help with that. I've never tried to compile my own before. I have a few tools bookmarked, but haven't gone through with testing them too thoroughly.

No worries, I can whip one up in a few minutes when I get home.

In the meantime you can have a look at some here: http://djmcnz.batteryboss.org/GNexus/mods/StockLauncher/v4/

If you want to have a play and look at the script. It will need to be different for you of course, least of all because we'll be mounting /data instead.

I'll send you a PM later on once I'm home (I'm in Europe/CET).

PS - 100 ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, I wrote an article over on our site that shows a quick walkthrough on how to display full desktop websites permanently on Chrome for Android Mobile so that you don't have to visit the mobile site, then hit "request desktop site" button any more. Considering Chrome is an awesome browser with full sync, and works very well on Jelly Bean, this might be of use to all of you. I know I was sick of having to constantly click the button.

Article: How To – Permanently Have Desktop Mode on Chrome Mobile for Android

Rooted device Instructions:
    Copy the chrome-command-line.txt file attached to the post, then paste it into /data/local/ making sure to set the permissions to 755 and to remove the '.txt' file extension.

Flashable .zip, for the lazy:
    You should know how to use this by now. Grab the attached ChromeDE.zip provided by XDA user djmcnz and flash away! (Thanks!) You can also drop him a thanks by visiting a post of his later in this thread.

ADB Instructions (for non-rooted devices):
    Place the chrome-command-line.txt file in the root directory of your PC and rename it to 'chrome-command-line', then make sure your device is connected to your computer. When connected, issue this command:
    Code:
    adb push /chrome-command-line /data/local/chrome-command-line

You can also set the path on your computer where the file is located by replacing the first '/chrome-command-line' with the file location.

Cheers! Hopefully we'll see a better implementation of this in the upcoming 4.2 release.

No worries, I can whip one up in a few minutes when I get home.

In the meantime you can have a look at some here: http://djmcnz.batteryboss.org/GNexus/mods/StockLauncher/v4/

If you want to have a play and look at the script. It will need to be different for you of course, least of all because we'll be mounting /data instead.

I'll send you a PM later on once I'm home (I'm in Europe/CET).

PS - 100 ;)
    Latest chrome desktop mode

Hey, if you got redirected to this (my) post to the chrome desktop mode, its been moved, as the op appears to long abandoned this thread, people were finding it hard to find the correct up-to date information, so what you need is now on a complete new thread here:

https://xdaforums.com/android/general/how-to-load-desktop-websites-t3771982

some sites like Gmail or Google Drive don't work with such old user agent as in the first post.

here is an updated ChromeDE.zip with latest Chrome version as user agent.

or here is chrome-command-line file contents for manual editing:

Code:
    chrome --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/59.0.3071.115 Safari/537.36"
    thanks! but it was obsolete, how to make it chrome51? because it was for chrome22, i cant access other sites because it says "please update your browser from chrome22 to chrome51"
    Thanks in advance!

outdated chrome:
    Code:
    chrome --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/22.0.1207.1 Safari/537.1"

updated chrome 53:
    Code:
    chrome --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/53.0.2783.4 Safari/537.36"