X98 Air III M5C5 with clean stock ROM?

Search This thread

hordarian

Aug 22, 2007
www.rogalian.com
I'm confused. I bought an M5C5 from Gearbest EU warehouse, which arrived today and it's sitting charging quite happily.

I was expecting to have to flash a custom ROM or manually debloat the thing. However out of the box it has a completely blank AOSP type build on it, just with the Google Play Store added.

Android 5.0, build number is V1.00_20151204, kernel version 3.10.2 (December 7th 2015 10:50:43 CST).

I see a couple of other reports of this around other forums. Does anyone know what's going on? More to the point, before I decide whether to flash a custom or not - is there any way of safely dumping this for others more knowledgeable than me to play about with?

hordarian

Aug 22, 2007
www.rogalian.com
I foolishly flashed a custom over the top of this. Other than being rooted, there's no benefit - in fact the stock is better and faster than the customs I've tried (pure Android launcher, no fluff with "reboot to Windows" or phone junk compiled in).

If you have this build, stick with it!

Reactions: Durete and 0czko

Durete

Dec 15, 2006
I read about this new stock version on my country's forums. Unfortunately nobody has dumped yet this version because I'm very interested.

Durete

Dec 15, 2006
I'm pretty happy with sikke1's "Debloated" stock rom. You should try it. I don't like neither customized roms based in stock roms for different devices.

heino69

Feb 7, 2008
I'm using Mireks now. If someone dumps the build that seems to be showing up on new Air IIIs then I'm going straight back to that, it was perfect!

I received my M5C5 with clean stock rom yesterday (also from Gearbest Europe store)

1.) I can try to backup this ROM, if you like, but you have to tell me how....
2.) My plan was to flash to mirek V7, but if I understand you correctly, it's better to stay on stock, right?

PS: In fact, the ROM looks ok, the only thing I'm really missing is root!
Till now I can't find a working instruction how to root this stock ROM....

Reactions: 0czko01 and Durete

hordarian

Aug 22, 2007
www.rogalian.com
I received my M5C5 with clean stock rom yesterday (also from Gearbest Europe store)

2.) My plan was to flash to mirek V7, but if I understand you correctly, it's better to stay on stock, right?

(1) It looks like there are a few people that would like the backup :)

Having not done a partition backup before some digging suggests it requires root or booting from a custom recovery.

This should allow you to root it: http://xdaforums.com/android/development/intel-android-devices-root-temp-cwm-t2975096, it might allow a full backup to SD card as well.

(2) I'm always grateful to all of the ROM developers, but it seems in this case (maybe the first time ever!) the stock ROM is absolutely perfect stock Android! It is a better base for anyone to build a custom ROM from than any of the previous ones!

Durete

Dec 15, 2006
I used that method to Root my Air III with Sikke1's "Debloated" Rom and to install Xposed.
I guess is pretty sure to use since the Root zip only add Supersu and binaries to /System.

Durruti77

Dec 4, 2015
I received my Air III M5C5 from Gearbest three weeks ago, but unfortunately it had the previous bloated Chinese ROM. Although I am very satisfied with Mirek v7, I will be very happy to test this one, if you are able to get it.

heino69

Feb 7, 2008
I used that method to Root my Air III with Sikke1's "Debloated" Rom and to install Xposed.
I guess is pretty sure to use since the Root zip only add Supersu and binaries to /System.

Right, the one who posted the problem stated that he followed the proposed steps (option 5 - CWM, and T4) but after installing the SU.zip the reboot failed....
I'm not sure if he did something wrong, I just want to be sure not to brick my Air III ;)

If i succeed, what tool to use to make a full backup? Titanium backup pro?

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

OK, I successfully rooted my device ;)
If anyone is really interested to have the clean stock ROM, please help me how to make this backup...

Last edited:
Reactions: Durete

hordarian

Aug 22, 2007
www.rogalian.com
This looks like a sensible guide: http://androidcreations.weebly.com/how-to-get-android-mounts-and-partition-images.html

And this: http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/7220-how-to-dumping-your-rom-by-adb-raw-nand-dump/

Get the Android SDK on your computer first. Looks like you'll need an SD card as well (there appear to be methods that don't require it but I'm not sure whether they work or not).

Let us know if you're struggling. I can probably put together exact commands for this device based on mine, I'm just distant from it at the moment so might take me a day or two.

guvno

Nov 8, 2011
I read about this new stock version on my country's forums. Unfortunately nobody has dumped yet this version because I'm very interested.
Same here!
I ordered 2 units, one came with an old Teclast ROM full of bloat (so I flashed Mireks v7 ROM) but the other one is clean and fast V1.00_20151204) AnTuTu score is 49887 compared to Mireks v7 rom 48547

Someone please send me some instructions on how to dump it and I will happily upload it somewhere! I would not mind sticking this new Teclast ROM on my other air iii

hordarian

Aug 22, 2007
www.rogalian.com
To do a backup. Assuming you're using Windows. You'll need a MicroSD card of a few GB

Get the latest Intel ADB driver and install it: https://software.intel.com/en-us/an...ion-instructions-for-intel-android-usb-driver
Enable USB debugging on your device (about device, hit build number 7 times to enable developer options, open developer options and tick USB debugging).
Connect device by USB.

Open a command prompt, run the following commands:
Code:
adb shell "dd if=/dev/block/by-name/boot | gzip > sdcard/boot.img.gz"
adb shell "dd if=/dev/block/by-name/system | gzip > sdcard/system.img.gz"
adb shell "dd if=/dev/block/by-name/recovery | gzip > sdcard/recovery.img.gz"
adb pull /sdcard/boot.img.gz
adb pull /sdcard/system.img.gz
adb pull /sdcard/recovery.img.gz

I'm not certain whether the device needs to be rooted first to do this, or whether it's all the required partitions.

Could also pull the entire flash down with the following (needs a substantial SD card!). Not sure this is necessary, and you should 100% do a full factory reset/wipe beforehand or you'll be giving easy access to any data you've got on the device.
Code:
adb shell "dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0 | gzip > /sdcard/mmcblk0.img.gz"
adb pull /sdcard/mmcblk0.img.gz

Reactions: guvno

guvno

Nov 8, 2011
To do a backup. Assuming you're using Windows. You'll need a MicroSD card of a few GB

Get the latest Intel ADB driver and install it: https://software.intel.com/en-us/an...ion-instructions-for-intel-android-usb-driver
Enable USB debugging on your device (about device, hit build number 7 times to enable developer options, open developer options and tick USB debugging).
Connect device by USB.

Code:

I'm not certain whether the device needs to be rooted first to do this, or whether it's all the required partitions.

Could also pull the entire flash down with the following (needs a substantial SD card!). Not sure this is necessary, and you should 100% do a full factory reset/wipe beforehand or you'll be giving easy access to any data you've got on the device.
Code:
Thanks Hordarian.

I will give this a go as soon as I can. I'll also upload whatever I'll dump to my google drive and share so you can have a look. Good suggestion to factory reset before I do the dump. The unit is only 3days old and the only thing installed is Antutu and I am logged on , so I will clear this first and then upload. If I do need to root first then I will do that too.

I'll try to do this on Tuesday.

Thanks for the instructions

Reactions: 0czko and joo6803

joo6803

May 29, 2010
Debloated GoogleNow custom roms VS New Stock Rom

Hello,

I too received X98 AIr III with new stock rom. I reflashed my tablet with sikke1 rom to solve the camera problem. (It looks like my x98 might have a defective camera......)

I rooted the sikke1 rom. It works great (well...except the camera).
Sorry. I did not make a back up of stock rom before I flashed.

I am looking forward to having a stock rom back even though I like both roms. Stock rom looked clean (small icons, play store only) and sikke1 rom has large icons (more visible).
Should I go back to stock rom when it is available? I cannot make a choice.....Hmm.

Last edited:

guvno

Nov 8, 2011

Connect device by USB.

Code:

Code:
Gave Hordarians instructions a quick try... But I guess this (below) means that I need root as the very first command resulted in the below:

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
dd: /dev/block/by-name/boot: Permission denied

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

Connect device by USB.

Code:

Code:
Thanks for those instructions Hordarian, but as mentioned, it does look like root is needed and this stock ROM does not have it... So, what is the best (easiest) way of rooting? Is it this:

http://xdaforums.com/android/development/intel-android-devices-root-temp-cwm-t2975096

joo6803

May 29, 2010
Root link for original rom

Gave Hordarians instructions a quick try... But I guess this (below) means that I need root as the very first command resulted in the below:

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
dd: /dev/block/by-name/boot: Permission denied

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

Thanks for those instructions Hordarian, but as mentioned, it does look like root is needed and this stock ROM does not have it... So, what is the best (easiest) way of rooting? Is it this:

http://xdaforums.com/android/development/intel-android-devices-root-temp-cwm-t2975096

Yes. I was able to root the original rom in my tablet using that link. It was fairly easy.

http://xdaforums.com/andr...p-cwm-t2975096

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes, this will work.

ROOT DONE

Selected option 5 from the launcher "CMW" then used trigger T4.
    This indeed booted the unit into custom recovery and I managed to select my su.zip file. I also decided to do a "backup to external sd card" while in custom recovery so I am doing that too, not sure if its any good but though its an idea.

BTW, choosing TWRP also works with trigger T4 but for some reason the touchscreen is not working so TWRP is a no go, use CMW.

So, the next step is to use hordarians instructions to do the dump, I will try this next, or will that backup in CMW that I am just now doing to the external sd card do the job? Tell me and I will start the upload.

BACKUP DONE... using Hordarians instructions

Allthogh, running the first command in the windows terminal resulted in "Permission Denied"
    I had to start with:
    adb root
    and then I used Hordarians first command:

This is now generating a big mmcblk0.img.gz file on my sd card

I guess when it is finished that will be all that is needed right?
    I can upload it to my google drive and share, will some expert be able to make this flashable?
    Just to summarize, this will be the upload of the clean stock Teclast X98 air iii ROM V1.00_20151204
    It is factory erased, as it came from Teclast, only rooted and SU installed

DUMP COMPLETED

Ehm, yeah, I guess Hordarian was right in saying that a complete dump using:
    is not needed... As it resulted in a 32GB file...
    I will try the other commands and hopefully generate 3 smaller files, I don't think I can upload that 32GB file, unless it becomes substantially smaller when compressed?
    I foolishly flashed a custom over the top of this. Other than being rooted, there's no benefit - in fact the stock is better and faster than the customs I've tried (pure Android launcher, no fluff with "reboot to Windows" or phone junk compiled in).

If you have this build, stick with it!
    I'm using Mireks now. If someone dumps the build that seems to be showing up on new Air IIIs then I'm going straight back to that, it was perfect!

Connect device by USB.

Code:

Code:
    Thanks Hordarian.

I will give this a go as soon as I can. I'll also upload whatever I'll dump to my google drive and share so you can have a look. Good suggestion to factory reset before I do the dump. The unit is only 3days old and the only thing installed is Antutu and I am logged on , so I will clear this first and then upload. If I do need to root first then I will do that too.

I'll try to do this on Tuesday.

Thanks for the instructions
    First question is if it works..

From Xiaomi Mi4c Prime sent by Tapatalk
    Well. I will let u know. I will try to root mine this week and then follow Hordarians instructions on how to dump. If I am successfull then there will probably be no need for you to do the same as I will upload my dump which will be of the same clean ROM that you have on your unit