Sony Z1 vs iphone5s vs Htc One low light Camera test Shots :D

Search This thread

ashouhdy

Aug 22, 2009
Alexandria
Was playing with the 3 of them today.

All set to auto and focus mode face detection except the Z1 focus set to single autofocus and gonna show you all why in the end of the thread.

All photos will be uploaded to flickr in the upcoming ours

Please Share your opinions !

So the sequence of photos is
Iphone 5s
Htc one
Sony z1

Iphone 5s 1/15sec iso 400
u4y3eju3.jpg

Htc one 1/14sec iso 800
egetaqu5.jpg

Sony 1/10sec iso400
vuvybu3e.jpg

NOW iphone5s duel tone led flash test vs Sony Z1 flash

Sequence is iphone then z1

Iphone 1/16sec iso 80
ydevusaj.jpg

Sony 1/13sec iso400
du8enu3u.jpg

Now when focus set to Face detection on the Sony Z1 it detects all faces (as the others did as well ) and thats the result:

dasa7evy.jpg

Sony was set to Manual mode and all auto just point and shoot.

? what are your thoughts ?!

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

ahomad

Jul 11, 2011
(Sony was set to Manual mode and all auto just point and shoot) for all images or just the last one?

mm79k

Jul 15, 2006
I just miss my HTC One! :(

I didn't care about the lighting situation when I wanted to take pics.

Z1 is very good but the HTC was the one for me!

One Twelve

Oct 28, 2013
1st set:
The HTC one picked a higher iso and is overexposed.
The Z1 comes across brighter than the 5s. It has 50% longer shutter.

Between the Z1 & 5s which is the more accurate in terms of lighting ?

2nd set
the 5s flash barely seems to register here. But the ISO jumped from 400 to 80. That's over 2 f-stops. So the shot seems underexposed.
Z1 kept the ISO at 400 and got a similar lighted shot.

3rd set with face detection
I'm not sure what to make of this one ? as it appears the brightest of the lot. iso > 400 & no flash ?

What advantage does face detection have and how well does it work.

The problem with tests like these is that there is a random element that gets in the way. people do not sit still and a little movement causes shake, i'm ignoring that.

Also the 5s allows no manual control whatsoever, whatever 5s decides is the best is what you get.

Last edited:

ashouhdy

Aug 22, 2009
Alexandria
Sony shots were all in Manual mode .

The lights were exactly similar to the z1 ... Although i dont know why i like the htc one shot ..something strange in it shows it so natural.

But the purple tint is affecting my friends' phone too. I tried many times and thats was the least tint in all.

Iphone is very underexposing the scene so bad for me. Even htc with the purple/red noise seems better !

And yes me too agree thats the Z1 is the best too. Seems its the best phone after 1020.

ashouhdy

Aug 22, 2009
Alexandria
1st set:
The HTC one picked a higher iso and is overexposed.
The Z1 comes across brighter than the 5s. It has 50% longer shutter.

Between the Z1 & 5s which is the more accurate in terms of lighting ?

2nd set
the 5s flash barely seems to register here. But the ISO jumped from 400 to 80. That's over 2 f-stops. So the shot seems underexposed.
Z1 kept the ISO at 400 and got a similar lighted shot.

3rd set with face detection
I'm not sure what to make of this one ? as it appears the brightest of the lot. iso > 400 & no flash ?

What advantage does face detection have and how well does it work.

The problem with tests like these is that there is a random element that gets in the way. people do not sit still and a little movement causes shake, i'm ignoring that.

Also the 5s allows no manual control whatsoever, whatever 5s decides is the best is what you get.

I would barely see anything in the iphone flash .. Just the coke cans ! While on the z1 its well bright

I guess face detection just raise the EV to expose faces better. Me too cant think of a mechanism rather than this. htc/apple face detection didnt differ with/without detection they just lock focus. While Sony locks focus and change exposure

Last edited:

One Twelve

Oct 28, 2013
I would barely see anything in the iphone flash .. Just the coke cans ! While on the z1 its well bright.
I meant when you look at the photos, was the lighting as dark as the 5s makes it out to be or as bright as the Z1 portrays it. Or some where in between ?

In this example the 5s & one underperform IMO. This is the problem with this auto business. One day it works well and other times it does not. Cannot say anything conclusive here other than to say in this round the Z1 did the best compared to the others. A few more rounds and it could go either way.

Last edited:
Reactions: ashouhdy

ashouhdy

Aug 22, 2009
Alexandria
I meant when you look at the photos, was the lighting as dark as the 5s makes it out to be or as bright as the Z1 portrays it. Or some where in between ?

In this example the 5s & one underperform IMO. This is the problem with this auto business. One day it works well and other times it does not. Cannot say anything conclusive here other than to say in this round the Z1 did the best compared to the others. A few more rounds and it could go either way.

It was exactly as the first z1 shot

chesterr

Nov 27, 2010
Galle
Glad you already started it, I actually did the same thing :D I will share my Photos then. :)

First photo is from HTC One HDR Off and the second one is Sony Xperia Z1 HDR On.
1.IMAG0045.jpg
2.DSC_0826.jpg

Edit:

HTC One HDR
IMAG0044.jpg

Sony Xperia Z1 HDR Off
DSC_0825.jpg

Edit:
HTC One HDR is kinda messed up. I am uploading it now and I didn't upload the Sony Xperia Z1 none HDR photo.
Photos from Sony was taken 8MP 16:9 and I used the manual mode cause we all know that Superior auto is really crappy but all the other featurs like ISO and exposure levels are set to auto. :p

Last edited:

ashouhdy

Aug 22, 2009
Alexandria
well i'm dissapointed with Z1 camera , i've came across this Z1 vs HTC One camera test which is very detailed and good with bunch of photos and z1 trully sucked

see this:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2542663

all i see in those pics is OVERexposed htc photos and some under exposed (manually set) z1 pics

the htc one got blown sky (highlights) it over expose dark scenes on expense of the already bright one so the results are blown high lights.

the htc one to overcome this issue has taken some of the photos with HDr option ! while some z1 pics is manually set to -1 ev which resulted in some under-exposed (dark) photos.

But for me will take the z1 photos over the htc1 cause i can add exposure to a dark image but i will never get the lost details of the blown up high lights

Just one question: Can u get me a clear view of the blue/sunset sky in the htc photos ?!

ashouhdy

Aug 22, 2009
Alexandria
Glad you already started it, I actually did the same thing :D I will share my Photos then. :)

First photo is from HTC One and the second one is Sony Xperia Z1.
1.View attachment 2532308
2.View attachment 2532310

nice to see the ONE could focus before flash :) it was a big issue with me (x-owner of htc1) the one couldn't focus in complete darkness.

the htc1 pic is better white-balanced the z1 screwed up :) take it again but keep ur finger away from the flash and be sure all settings are in auto.

chesterr

Nov 27, 2010
Galle
And another photos in my dark room, all the lights are switched off.
Only I used flashed and HTC took a while to take the photo approximately 5sec yet Xperia Z1 took it faster.

HTC One HDR off:
IMAG0042.jpg

HTC One HDR on:
IMAG0043.jpg

Sony Xperia Z1 HDR off:
DSC_0824.jpg

Sony Xperia Z1 HDR on:
DSC_0823.jpg

BTW I bought HTC One for my sister since she became a huge fan after Sensation.
and I don't have the phone now. Both phones are running on 4.3
I think Sony needs some brushing up with the camera department, I don't say it's bad but needs some polishing :D

I am now uploading the Pics I took from HTC One Sony Xperia Z / Z1 and iPhone 5s. all in the same windy day.
I will share them with you guys in a couple of hours to see how the phones did in the night time, plus it was a windy day and cold.

Reactions: ashouhdy

chesterr

Nov 27, 2010
Galle
So as I told you that I have uploaded a lots of photos into my drop box.
Don't blame cause I uploded a lot and didn't really separate it like HDR photos and none HDR.
Well for fact I know that iPhone 5s's flash won't work when you turn on HDR so you'll know which one is HDR of iPhone :D
You do the judgement and I still think Sony needs some improving in camera department.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g1qx7x2n8ppqwco/EPLjrQKh4w

And according to Josh Xperia Z1s(for T-mobile) camera isn't that great.and it is the same as Z1.
http://youtu.be/ekhkyjiwqtE?t=3m46s

One Twelve

Oct 28, 2013
Don't blame cause I uploded a lot and didn't really separate it like HDR photos and none HDR.
Unfortunately there is no way to tell them apart for Z1 & HTC one.

I don't understand why you are taking HDR photos indoors. I don't see much improvement at all compared to non-HDR and in some cases even worse as there is blur. Which is to be expected as the dynamic range in a room isn't going to be very high unless you have bright areas mixed in with dark areas by a couple of f-stops at least. There is no benefit to using HDR in this way.

Well for fact I know that iPhone 5s's flash won't work when you turn on HDR so you'll know which one is HDR of iPhone :D
good to know.

You do the judgement and I still think Sony needs some improving in camera department.
This is an ongoing process.

And according to Josh Xperia Z1s(for T-mobile) camera isn't that great.and it is the same as Z1.
http://youtu.be/ekhkyjiwqtE?t=3m46s
He does not mention whether its SA or manual, though i suspect its SA. Hit & miss.

He does not like 8MP photos as that's the highest you get in 16:9. But 8MP is actually better than 20MP with oversampling. 8MP is good enough for a lot unless you want to make posters. Whatever screen Josh uses cannot display more than 2MP anyway. Or 4MP if he uses a 4k screen.

He mentions losing detail in the dark areas. EV+ required.

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

nice to see the ONE could focus before flash :) it was a big issue with me (x-owner of htc1) the one couldn't focus in complete darkness.
Focus assist light on htc one not working ?

Dark shots will be a problem with focus. Use Fenix LD01, fits on keychain :)

Shan89

Oct 23, 2012
the htc one is the strongest flash i met with 5 levels by the way :D and no focus assist light (Hilarious!)

HTC One has focus assist light lol, it didn't on 4.2.2 , it has it since 4.3 came out.

Edit: here few recent pics taken in pitch black.

6th pic ( the cat ) was taken with something similar to what you guys recently got called * defcous macro *

Attachments

• IMAG4004.jpg
    IMAG4004.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 169
  • IMAG4067.jpg
    IMAG4067.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 159
  • IMAG4073.jpg
    IMAG4073.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 159
  • IMAG4076.jpg
    IMAG4076.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 155
  • IMAG4082.jpg
    IMAG4082.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 143
  • IMAG4380.jpg
    IMAG4380.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 144
  • IMAG4390.jpg
    IMAG4390.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 136
  • IMAG4484.jpg
    IMAG4484.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Was playing with the 3 of them today.

All set to auto and focus mode face detection except the Z1 focus set to single autofocus and gonna show you all why in the end of the thread.

All photos will be uploaded to flickr in the upcoming ours

Please Share your opinions !

So the sequence of photos is
    Iphone 5s
    Htc one
    Sony z1

Iphone 5s 1/15sec iso 400
    u4y3eju3.jpg

Htc one 1/14sec iso 800
    egetaqu5.jpg

Sony 1/10sec iso400
    vuvybu3e.jpg

NOW iphone5s duel tone led flash test vs Sony Z1 flash

Sequence is iphone then z1

Iphone 1/16sec iso 80
    ydevusaj.jpg

Sony 1/13sec iso400
    du8enu3u.jpg

Now when focus set to Face detection on the Sony Z1 it detects all faces (as the others did as well ) and thats the result:

dasa7evy.jpg

Sony was set to Manual mode and all auto just point and shoot.

? what are your thoughts ?!

And The winner issssssss Honami :)

inviato da Note 3
    I would barely see anything in the iphone flash .. Just the coke cans ! While on the z1 its well bright.

well i'm dissapointed with Z1 camera , i've came across this Z1 vs HTC One camera test which is very detailed and good with bunch of photos and z1 trully sucked

see this:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2542663
    And another photos in my dark room, all the lights are switched off.
    Only I used flashed and HTC took a while to take the photo approximately 5sec yet Xperia Z1 took it faster.

HTC One HDR off:
    IMAG0042.jpg

HTC One HDR on:
    IMAG0043.jpg

Sony Xperia Z1 HDR off:
    DSC_0824.jpg

Sony Xperia Z1 HDR on:
    DSC_0823.jpg

BTW I bought HTC One for my sister since she became a huge fan after Sensation.
    and I don't have the phone now. Both phones are running on 4.3
    I think Sony needs some brushing up with the camera department, I don't say it's bad but needs some polishing :D

I am now uploading the Pics I took from HTC One Sony Xperia Z / Z1 and iPhone 5s. all in the same windy day.
    I will share them with you guys in a couple of hours to see how the phones did in the night time, plus it was a windy day and cold.