TaiChi:Using Xposed modules with/without Root/Unlock bootloader on Android 5.0~10.0

Search This thread

weishu

Mar 8, 2018
Beijing
github.com
Hi, I am the author of VirtualXposed: https://xdaforums.com/xposed/virtualxposed-xposed-root-unlock-t3760313

VirtualXposed can run some Xposed modules on Non-Root devices without needing to unlock the bootloader or flash any sysytem images, but it can not act on system processes.

After a lot of exploration and experiment, I found a better way to run (Xposed) modules. It can run on both root and non-root devices, and it support Android 5.0 ~ 10.0 I release the beta version in China at 2019/1/5, after many tests and improvements, it is stable enough now to introduce it for you.

The app, or framework is named TaiChi

## Introduction

TaiChi is a framework to use Xposed module with or without Root/Unlock bootloader, it support Android 5.0 ~ 9.0.

In simple words, TaiChi is Xposed-Styled Framework, it can load Xposed modules, do hooks and so on.

## Feature

TaiChi is Xposed-Styled, but it has no relation with Xposed. The only relevance is that TaiChi can load Xposed modules, the implementation of TaiChi and Xposed Framework is very different.

Here are some features of Taichi:

1. TaiChi has fully supports for Android Pie.
2. TaiChi can run in non-root mode.
3. TaiChi does not effect the android system and it does not hook all apps in system. Only the apps you want to apply Xposed modules are hooked. Other apps in system run in a completely clean environment, which means TaiChi can pass SafeNet easily.
4. TaiChi doesn't need to reboot system in most cases
5. TaiChi is hard to detect. TaiChi doesn't modify the libart and app_process, it has nearly no noticeable characteristics.

## Usage

TaiChi has two work mode: magisk mode and non-root mode. If you don't want to unlock the bootloader/flash system images, you can use the non-root mode, if you prefer more powerful functions, just try magisk mode.

### What is the different with magisk mode and non-root mode?

The only difference is that magisk mode can hook system process, so more modules are supported, such as Xposed Edge/Greenify.But magisk mode need to unlock the bootloader and install Magisk, while non-root mode just needs to install a simple app.

### Non-Root mode

TaiChi run in non-root mode in genernal, just install a simple app, all the installation is over. If you want to use Xposed modules, for example, you'd like to use SnapFreedom on SnapChat, follow these steps:

1. Click the float button in Home page of TaiChi, and then click the button : **Create App**.
2. Select the app you'd like to apply Xposed modules, such as SnapChat.
3. Click the "Create" button at the bottom and then wait the creation to finish pariently.
4. When creation finished, TaiChi tells you that you need to unstall the original SnapChat, please uninstall it, this is necessary. Because TaiChi in non-root mode needs to modify the APK file which means we have to re-sign the APK.
5. Follow the steps in TaiChi app until you installed the new app.
6. Enter the **Module Manage** activity by click the button "Module Manager" of the float button in Home page.
7. Check the SnapFreedom module.
8. Kill the process of SnapChat and the Xposed modules should work properly.(You don't need to reboot system)

### Magisk mode

Non-root mode of TaiChi has some shortcomming even though it do not need to unlock bootloader, so i develop a magisk module, this module can give TaiChi extra power to overcome these shortcommings:

1. magisk mode can hook into system process.
2. magisk mode don't need to modify the apk, and the signature keeps same.

When you flashed the [magisk module]https://github.com/tiann/TaiChi-Magisk provided by TaiChi, TaiChi app switch to magisk mode automaticly: TaiChi App + magisk module = TaiChi·Magisk. When the magisk module is disabled or removed, TaiChi app turn to non-root mode.

If you want to use magisk mode, please read the [wiki](https://github.com/tiann/Tai-Chi/wiki/taichi-magisk-beta) carefully.

## For Developers

TaiChi is a Framework, developers can wrote modules to do hooks. The TaiChi modules is fully compatible to Xposed modules, so just wrote the Xposed-Styled modules and it can run well in TaiChi, too.

But there are still some difference from TaiChi Framework and Xposed Framework, please refer [For Xposed Developers]https://github.com/tiann/Tai-Chi/wiki/For-Xposed-developer

## Discuss

- [Telegram Group](https://t.me/vxp_group)

## Contact me

(mailto:twsxtd@gmail.com)

[B]## Other [/B]

1. TaiChi is closed-source now, it may be open-sourced in the future, but not now.
2. TaiChi can not run Xposed modules arbitrarily(it supports it in technical-speaking), it can only run specific version and specific modules now. If you want to use other modules, please fire an issue. Here is the support list: https://taichi.cool/module/module.html
3. TaiChi is compatible to Xposed modules, but it may have its own module in the future.

[B][U][SIZE="4"][PLAIN]XDA:DevDB Information[/PLAIN][/SIZE][/U][/B]
[SIZE=3][B]TaiChi, Xposed for all devices (see above for details)[/B][/SIZE]

[B][U]Contributors[/U][/B]
[URL="https://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=8994560"]weishu[/URL], [URL="https://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=8994560"]weishu[/URL]
[B]Source Code:[/B] [URL="https://github.com/taichi-framework"]https://github.com/taichi-framework[/URL]

[B]Xposed Package Name:[/B]

[B][U]Version Information[/U][/B]
[B]Status:[/B] Stable

[B]Created[/B] 2019-03-11
[B]Last Updated[/B] 2019-03-16

Depressed T.Bear

Jun 3, 2013
Berlin
I noticed the magisk module today on the repo. Sounds very promising and... tempting to me.
But, regardless of how much I'd love to finally have xposed modules on pie, there's one major deal-breaker here: Closed source.

TaiChi magisk (as well as xposed) are extremely mighty - which makes it mandatory for us to see and confirm what's happening behind the curtains.

As soon as it gets open source, I'll be back and support this project.

Sent from my OnePlus 6 using XDA Labs

flamery

Feb 24, 2011
TaiChi run in non-root mode in genernal, just install a simple app, all the installation is over. If you want to use Xposed modules, for example, you'd like to use SnapFreedom on SnapChat, follow these steps:

1. Click the float button in Home page of TaiChi, and then click the button : **Create App**.
3. Click the "Create" button at the bottom and then wait the creation to finish pariently.
4. When creation finished, TaiChi tells you that you need to unstall the original SnapChat, please uninstall it, this is necessary. Because TaiChi in non-root mode needs to modify the APK file which means we have to re-sign the APK.
6. Enter the **Module Manage** activity by click the button "Module Manager" of the float button in Home page.
8. Kill the process of SnapChat and the Xposed modules should work properly.(You don't need to reboot system)

Thanks for this great module, its nice to know there is hope for our locked bootloader devices.

I want to use snapfreedom, but the above steps wont actually work, snapchat will refuse to log me in since the signature of the apk has changed and its been uninstalled so my data is gone. Without root access I can't figure a way to copy my user data over to remain logged in. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Kashifrazabb

weishu

Mar 8, 2018
Beijing
github.com
Thanks for this great module, its nice to know there is hope for our locked bootloader devices.

I want to use snapfreedom, but the above steps wont actually work, snapchat will refuse to log me in since the signature of the apk has changed and its been uninstalled so my data is gone. Without root access I can't figure a way to copy my user data over to remain logged in. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

The SnapChat itself refused you to login or other app can not login by Snapchat?

In fact, TaiChi non-root mode cheats the signature of app, if it cannot cheats SnapChat, i will look into it.

Reactions: VBabbar

weishu

Mar 8, 2018
Beijing
github.com
I noticed the magisk module today on the repo. Sounds very promising and... tempting to me.
But, regardless of how much I'd love to finally have xposed modules on pie, there's one major deal-breaker here: Closed source.

TaiChi magisk (as well as xposed) are extremely mighty - which makes it mandatory for us to see and confirm what's happening behind the curtains.

In fact, I’ve been tangled for a long time whether to open source the TaiChi.

Whether it's TaiChi or Xposed-Framework, they are so powerful that it's hard to believe its security if it's not open source. But there are some reasons for me to not open source it now:

1. TaiChi is a framework, it gives the same power to modules, modules can do all that TaiChi can do. In magisk-mode, TaiChi can control your device completely(Although I didn't do that), so dose the modules. If TaiChi is open-source but some modules don't, it is not secure too. You can choose to use only open-source modules, but others may not. There are so many excellent modules are closed-source, such as Greenify, Xposed Edge, Snapchat, etc. Only open source TaiChi is far from security if some module developer are malicious.

2. Open source doesn't mean security. VirtualXposed is open-source: https://github.com/android-hacker/VirtualXposed . But if you read the XDA Thread of it: https://xdaforums.com/xpo...nlock-t3760313 . There are still so many users thinks it is not safe to use

Reactions: VBabbar and Dks420

weishu

Mar 8, 2018
Beijing
github.com

Whether it's TaiChi or Xposed-Framework, they are so powerful that it's hard to believe its security if it's not open source. But there are some reasons for me to not open source it now:

1. TaiChi is a framework, it gives the same power to modules, modules can do all that TaiChi can do. In magisk-mode, TaiChi can control your device completely(Although I didn't do that), so dose the modules. If TaiChi is open-source but some modules don't, it is not secure too. You can choose to use only open-source modules, but others may not. There are so many excellent modules are closed-source, such as Greenify, Xposed Edge, Snapchat, etc. Only open source TaiChi is far from security if some module developer are malicious.

2. Open source doesn't mean security. VirtualXposed is open-source: https://github.com/android-hacker/VirtualXposed . But if you read the XDA Thread of it: https://xdaforums.com/xpo...nlock-t3760313 . There are still so many users thinks it is not safe to use.

weishu

Mar 8, 2018
Beijing
github.com

2. Open source doesn't mean security. VirtualXposed is open-source: https://github.com/android-hacker/VirtualXposed . But if you read the XDA Thread of it: https://xdaforums.com/xpo...nlock-t3760313 . There are still so many users thinks it is not safe to use. When it is closed-source, users think it is insecure becuase it is not open-source, when you open source it, users think it is insecure becuase no one to review the huge and ****-source code.

3. Xposed-Framework is not open-source after Android O, too. (correct me if i am wrong)

4. Closed-source can provide security for normal users. Closed source means that TaiChi can restrict the ****ing and harmful modules run in TaiChi(it won't load unknown modules). And also, The module developer won't worry about crack( it won't load the re-signed modules).

Happy to hear from all your advices.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010

2. Open source doesn't mean security. VirtualXposed is open-source: https://github.com/android-hacker/VirtualXposed . But if you read the XDA Thread of it: https://xdaforums.com/xpo...nlock-t3760313 . There are still so many users thinks it is not safe to use
I think it is a pretty weak reasoning to not make the framework open source because the modules are closed source.

Both open and closed source do not mean security, so this is not a real argument either.

So, it lets me just wondering what the real reason is to not open source.

flamery

Feb 24, 2011
The SnapChat itself refused you to login or other app can not login by Snapchat?

In fact, TaiChi non-root mode cheats the signature of app, if it cannot cheats SnapChat, i will look into it.

Its the login to snapchat, they have very high security around 3rd party apps and app modding. If the apk has been modified you get the "login has temporarily failed" message when trying to login.

The workaround in the past has been to login with xposed disabled, titanium backup data, flash xposed, then restore data so you remain logged in. But there is no way to achieve that without root that I can see! thanks for looking into it!

lssong99

Jul 15, 2005
Just tried Taichi today and it instantly bring the good old days for me with Xposed. I need to have certain Apps to run in different locale and Xposed module is to the only way to get this done! However Xposed also stopped Google pay so I have to stop using Xposed ever since.

With Taichi I can start use Xposed again and have Google Pay at the same time... Great solution!

Unfortunately with current international politics it immediately mark anything from China as insecure. I am not sure if TaiChi is secure or not, but I guess since the day I rooted my phone I am assuming all the risk inherited.

Anyway good work! Weishu! (Just donated)

Last edited:
Reactions: adlx.xda
G

GuestK00193

Hmm I must be high on something because I dont see the download link.

dirtyreturn

Aug 14, 2011
Nexus 7
Huawei Nexus 6P
@weishu , I hope you can help. I've purchased xprivacylua pro from the google play store some time ago and reinstalled it on Pie. Xprivacylua pro does not seem to recognize xprivacylua is installed also. Do you have any suggestions?

Depressed T.Bear

Jun 3, 2013
Berlin
@weishu , I hope you can help. I've purchased xprivacylua pro from the google play store some time ago and reinstalled it on Pie. Xprivacylua pro does not seem to recognize xprivacylua is installed also. Do you have any suggestions?

It sounds like you misunderstood something. The "Pro" app from. Google Play is just a companion app, which enables the pro features you bought. It doesn't contain the actual xposed module (and app) of xprivacy Lua.
Simply download it through the xposed repo or get the latest apk directly from the xprivacy lua website.

Reactions: dirtyreturn

dirtyreturn

Aug 14, 2011
Nexus 7
Huawei Nexus 6P
It sounds like you misunderstood something. The "Pro" app from. Google Play is just a companion app, which enables the pro features you bought. It doesn't contain the actual xposed module (and app) of xprivacy Lua.
Simply download it through the xposed repo or get the latest apk directly from the xprivacy lua website.

Thanks for the reply. I just assumed by my post it would make sense.

I do have the taichi magisk module installed, and from there I've installed xprivacylua. And from the google play store the pro companion app. @Depressed T.Bear - are you using xprivacylua on Pie? Does the pro app recognize the main app as installed for you?

Reactions: Depressed T.Bear

dirtyreturn

Aug 14, 2011
Nexus 7
Huawei Nexus 6P

Please see screenshots.

Attachments

• MyScreen_2019-03-17-08-45-52.png
    MyScreen_2019-03-17-08-45-52.png
    137.8 KB · Views: 1,182
  • MyScreen_2019-03-17-08-46-10.png
    MyScreen_2019-03-17-08-46-10.png
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,173
  • MyScreen_2019-03-17-08-46-35.png
    MyScreen_2019-03-17-08-46-35.png
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,153

Depressed T.Bear

Jun 3, 2013
Berlin
Thanks for the reply. I just assumed by my post it would make sense.

I do have the taichi magisk module installed, and from there I've installed xprivacylua. And from the google play store the pro companion app. @Depressed T.Bear - are you using xprivacylua on Pie? Does the pro app recognize the main app as installed for you?

Then it might be due to TaiChi.
Yes, I'm using XPrivacyLua on Pie - but with EdExposed and not with TaiChi. For one simple reason: TaiChi is not open source! EdExposed and RiruCore instead are.
So it would be absolute nonsense to use an app like XPrivacyLua to protect your privacy, while using a xposed version with is closed-source and nobody can tell what it actually does.

So, I can't help you with TaiChi. Only the developer can.
All I can say is that it works flawlessly with EdExposed.

Soumy1234

Aug 19, 2017
OnePlus 11
I have edxposed but I'm thinking of trying Taichi out to see if it's more stable. Will this work with modules such as xposed edge where the module doesnt target a specific app?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, I am the author of VirtualXposed: https://xdaforums.com/xposed/virtualxposed-xposed-root-unlock-t3760313

VirtualXposed can run some Xposed modules on Non-Root devices without needing to unlock the bootloader or flash any sysytem images, but it can not act on system processes.

After a lot of exploration and experiment, I found a better way to run (Xposed) modules. It can run on both root and non-root devices, and it support Android 5.0 ~ 10.0 I release the beta version in China at 2019/1/5, after many tests and improvements, it is stable enough now to introduce it for you.

The app, or framework is named TaiChi

## Introduction

TaiChi is a framework to use Xposed module with or without Root/Unlock bootloader, it support Android 5.0 ~ 9.0.

In simple words, TaiChi is Xposed-Styled Framework, it can load Xposed modules, do hooks and so on.

## Feature

TaiChi is Xposed-Styled, but it has no relation with Xposed. The only relevance is that TaiChi can load Xposed modules, the implementation of TaiChi and Xposed Framework is very different.

Here are some features of Taichi:

1. TaiChi has fully supports for Android Pie.
    2. TaiChi can run in non-root mode.
    3. TaiChi does not effect the android system and it does not hook all apps in system. Only the apps you want to apply Xposed modules are hooked. Other apps in system run in a completely clean environment, which means TaiChi can pass SafeNet easily.
    4. TaiChi doesn't need to reboot system in most cases
    5. TaiChi is hard to detect. TaiChi doesn't modify the libart and app_process, it has nearly no noticeable characteristics.

## Usage

TaiChi has two work mode: magisk mode and non-root mode. If you don't want to unlock the bootloader/flash system images, you can use the non-root mode, if you prefer more powerful functions, just try magisk mode.

### What is the different with magisk mode and non-root mode?

The only difference is that magisk mode can hook system process, so more modules are supported, such as Xposed Edge/Greenify.But magisk mode need to unlock the bootloader and install Magisk, while non-root mode just needs to install a simple app.

### Non-Root mode

### Magisk mode

Non-root mode of TaiChi has some shortcomming even though it do not need to unlock bootloader, so i develop a magisk module, this module can give TaiChi extra power to overcome these shortcommings:

1. magisk mode can hook into system process.
    2. magisk mode don't need to modify the apk, and the signature keeps same.

When you flashed the [magisk module]https://github.com/tiann/TaiChi-Magisk provided by TaiChi, TaiChi app switch to magisk mode automaticly: TaiChi App + magisk module = TaiChi·Magisk. When the magisk module is disabled or removed, TaiChi app turn to non-root mode.

If you want to use magisk mode, please read the [wiki](https://github.com/tiann/Tai-Chi/wiki/taichi-magisk-beta) carefully.

## For Developers

TaiChi is a Framework, developers can wrote modules to do hooks. The TaiChi modules is fully compatible to Xposed modules, so just wrote the Xposed-Styled modules and it can run well in TaiChi, too.

But there are still some difference from TaiChi Framework and Xposed Framework, please refer [For Xposed Developers]https://github.com/tiann/Tai-Chi/wiki/For-Xposed-developer

## Discuss

- [Telegram Group](https://t.me/vxp_group)

## Contact me

(mailto:twsxtd@gmail.com)

[B]## Other [/B]

1. TaiChi is closed-source now, it may be open-sourced in the future, but not now.
    2. TaiChi can not run Xposed modules arbitrarily(it supports it in technical-speaking), it can only run specific version and specific modules now. If you want to use other modules, please fire an issue. Here is the support list: https://taichi.cool/module/module.html
    3. TaiChi is compatible to Xposed modules, but it may have its own module in the future.

[B][U][SIZE="4"][PLAIN]XDA:DevDB Information[/PLAIN][/SIZE][/U][/B]
    [SIZE=3][B]TaiChi, Xposed for all devices (see above for details)[/B][/SIZE]

[B][U]Contributors[/U][/B]
    [URL="https://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=8994560"]weishu[/URL], [URL="https://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=8994560"]weishu[/URL]
    [B]Source Code:[/B] [URL="https://github.com/taichi-framework"]https://github.com/taichi-framework[/URL]

[B]Xposed Package Name:[/B]

[B][U]Version Information[/U][/B]
    [B]Status:[/B] Stable

[B]Created[/B] 2019-03-11
    [B]Last Updated[/B] 2019-03-16

I think it is a pretty weak reasoning to not make the framework open source because the modules are closed source.

Both open and closed source do not mean security, so this is not a real argument either.

So, it lets me just wondering what the real reason is to not open source.

2. Open source doesn't mean security. VirtualXposed is open-source: https://github.com/android-hacker/VirtualXposed . But if you read the XDA Thread of it: https://xdaforums.com/xpo...nlock-t3760313 . There are still so many users thinks it is not safe to use. When it is closed-source, users think it is insecure becuase it is not open-source, when you open source it, users think it is insecure becuase no one to review the huge and ****-source code.

3. Xposed-Framework is not open-source after Android O, too. (correct me if i am wrong)

4. Closed-source can provide security for normal users. Closed source means that TaiChi can restrict the ****ing and harmful modules run in TaiChi(it won't load unknown modules). And also, The module developer won't worry about crack( it won't load the re-signed modules).

Happy to hear from all your advices.