How to flash roms with Mobile Odin Pro

Search This thread

DarkPhoenix

Sep 6, 2007
Lebanon, TN
I have read that some people prefer to use Mobile Odin Pro to flash roms, kernels and such in place of CWM. I know how to use it when the files are in the tar format but I am wondering if there is a way to flash roms that are in the zip format and made for CWM? Am I missing something or did I misunderstand what I read?

Thanks in advance. :)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Reactions: xxD44xx

DarkPhoenix

Sep 6, 2007
Lebanon, TN
OK, so the roms have to be in the tar format. Is there a way to repack the zip into a tar that can be flashed via Mobile Odin Pro?

XBMC4LIFE

Feb 5, 2012
Not really sure about this but if you use root explorer and press and hold on a file it will give you an option to convert to tar file or something like that. Idk if that would work or not but just happened to notice it last night.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA App

patrao_n

Dec 17, 2010
san diego
although rootexplorer does format it into tar it won't flash via odin or mobile odin. the only way I know of is to have a linux partition on your computer. other than having linux it won't work. it may be in tar format but it needs to know where to put those file in which place. and just converting it to tar doesn't work. I have even tried putting a pit file in with the files in a tar and it didn't work.

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
unfortunately if its in zip I believe its only through cwm. just like regular odin.

lol thats not true.. yes .zips are made for cwm, but if you notice in mobile odin pro it can actually open certain types of files and extract the different parts of it to flash such as kernel, modem, etc. etc. this is how i flashed a zip through mobile odin pro, however for whatever reason gave me issues with the modem.. on ICS, I had to flash rogue fb17 kernel to get cwm back, then flashed the fb21 modem through cwm. either way, there is a way to extract the files from the .zip to be flashed in mobile odin.. there is a setting in the app that says open and extract the files.. have a look see! besides all that, I love mobile odin and prefer to use it when possible over using cwm anyday..

Reactions: patrao_n

patrao_n

Dec 17, 2010
san diego
well I do not doubt that you used it. however I have many roms in. zip format. when I try to use the extract feature the only ones I can extract from are the. tar and tar.md5 files. maybe I'm messing up or something.

DarkPhoenix

Sep 6, 2007
Lebanon, TN
I have tried to open zip files using the method you suggested and it's like it doesn't see the zip file in the directory I put it in.

patrao_n

Dec 17, 2010
san diego
when I do it I look in the directory and it only sees the tar files I have of the stock tars I have in the same directory. I have looked into it on chainfires thread and it makes no mention from what I have seen of flashing rom zips.

patrao_n

Dec 17, 2010
san diego

lafester

Feb 11, 2007
although rootexplorer does format it into tar it won't flash via odin or mobile odin. the only way I know of is to have a linux partition on your computer. other than having linux it won't work. it may be in tar format but it needs to know where to put those file in which place. and just converting it to tar doesn't work. I have even tried putting a pit file in with the files in a tar and it didn't work.

could you explain how to do this in linux?

Thanks!

patrao_n

Dec 17, 2010
san diego
i dont know how to do it in linux. i just know when i googled gow to do it all tge tutorials said linux was needed. sorry man

macho3215

Aug 8, 2011
DELHI
I have read that some people prefer to use Mobile Odin Pro to flash roms, kernels and such in place of CWM. I know how to use it when the files are in the tar format but I am wondering if there is a way to flash roms that are in the zip format and made for CWM? Am I missing something or did I misunderstand what I read?

I could flash my kernel using 'zImage' file using Mobile ODIN.

Vrekk

Jan 8, 2010
Centennial
TL:DR Version. Don't. If it was meant for CWM use it in CWM.

I don't think you guys are going to have any luck with that. When (Mobile) odin flashes a tar file it is flashing a factoryfs.img. When CWM flashes a zip it copies the files over.

You could, in theory*, convert the flash-able zip into a flash-able tar by moving the files in the zip into a proper factoryfs.img or a system.img... but its not really an easy task and you're VERY likely to end up with a (almost**) permanent brick and or paperweight.

So just don't. You can flash Kernels and full system restores tars with it, but other than that, I wouldn't play with it.

* I say in theory because I'm not gonna test it. I don't see why I wouldn't, but there is no reason to risk anything.

**You could probably unbrick it with a JTAG, but that is a whole different mess.

JM4611

Sep 28, 2012
Clearing cache before flashing

I'm a beginner. My last cell phone was very old and could only make calls, and I jumped into the s3 because I heard it's a good phone.

I've figured out how to root it and unlock it, and I have installed mobile odin pro. I copy the zipped rom directly to my phone and start mobile odin pro, which asks me if I want to unzip the rom and install it. Well, yes, I do. So it goes about doing its thing, reboots, and fails. I have tried installing three different roms with the same result each time.

My question is this: will mobile odin pro automatically clear the cache, the darvik cache and so on? Or should I do this manually from within the mobile odin pro app before flashing the rom?

Any help will be much appreciated

patrao_n

Dec 17, 2010
san diego
If you have an s2 this is not the forum for you. Just a heads up. Anything flashable from this s2 forum will wreck your phone

sent from my BAD A$$ Epic touch

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

no worries man. anytime. I don't know everything but what I do know I'll gladly share
    unfortunately if its in zip I believe its only through cwm. just like regular odin.

lol thats not true.. yes .zips are made for cwm, but if you notice in mobile odin pro it can actually open certain types of files and extract the different parts of it to flash such as kernel, modem, etc. etc. this is how i flashed a zip through mobile odin pro, however for whatever reason gave me issues with the modem.. on ICS, I had to flash rogue fb17 kernel to get cwm back, then flashed the fb21 modem through cwm. either way, there is a way to extract the files from the .zip to be flashed in mobile odin.. there is a setting in the app that says open and extract the files.. have a look see! besides all that, I love mobile odin and prefer to use it when possible over using cwm anyday..