Motorbike weatherproof box?

Search This thread

XOMYT

Sep 8, 2007
Paris
Hi all!

I'm searching for some kind of weatherproof box to use on my Dragstar.
Something not too bulky and with recharge connection possibility.
So, if anyone has ever made or bought this kind of fixation, please, share your experience!

For now I'm using Krusell BikeHolder with PDair Aluminium Case and thinking about Krusell ORBIT FLEX. Both are not weatherproof, so just for café rides...:rolleyes:

Thanks!

matt_not_andrew

Dec 7, 2004
The product you are looking for is the Otterbox 3600 - my mates use them on their trail bikes and they are the dogs danglies. It is big and bulky byt it is crush proof and waterproof. you need to buy the box (about £60) and a handlebar mount. they also have an access hatch top and bottom to run leads through for charging and headphones.

Good luck and post pics

XOMYT

Sep 8, 2007
Paris
Thanks, matt_not_andrew. I know them well, even thought about Armor 2600, but it is still a little bulky. I don't make trial rides, just highways' journeys, so a good rain protection can be enough.

Thanks anyway for an advice!

fjellborg

Dec 1, 2008
The product you are looking for is the Otterbox 3600 - my mates use them on their trail bikes and they are the dogs danglies. It is big and bulky byt it is crush proof and waterproof. you need to buy the box (about £60) and a handlebar mount. they also have an access hatch top and bottom to run leads through for charging and headphones.

Good luck and post pics
Hello. I have ordered the Otterbox 1900 and it will be interesting to how to fit my Blackbird ..

custardo01

Jul 17, 2007
London
My DIY approach:-

I bought a transparent pencil case for 30 pence and cut it to size around the Blackstone. Sewed up the edges with linen thread and glue and kept the zip on one side for inserting the phone. I had a handlebar mount from an old TomTom Rider unit and I attach my case with the phone on to this mount using heavy duty velcro. I made a little whole at the bottom of the case to accept the usb lead for charging from the cigarette lighter socket. It never comes off but I attached a piece of string/cord on the zip which clips around the handlebars in case it ever did fall off.

It's probably not completely waterproof at the seams but I have used it in all weathers and not had any problems so far.

I recently glued an old bicycle inner tube around the seam edges cut to size to give it extra protection. Not the prettiest but very light and functional. Use it a lot on my motorbike

Attachments

• IMAG0782.jpg
    IMAG0782.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 480

fishes234

Sep 4, 2005
I've had a RAM mount for a while now and use it on my Thundercat. Cost about fifty quid including the aquabox, arm and mount for handlebars and it works a treat. I've only had my HD for a couple of days and haven't tried it in the box to see if it fits yet (I used to use it with orbit 2 and it fit with room to spare). I'll try it this weekend though.

fishes234

Sep 4, 2005
Yep it was medium from memory - will check for sure later today if I remember when I get home. I got the short arm, the ball that bolts on to the back and there's a bracket that bolts on to the clamp of my clip on - I could take a pic if that would be helpful?

fjellborg

Dec 1, 2008
Did my Otterbox 1900 today, and HD is perfectly suited to touch screen. I have mounted RAMmount ball Clutch-reservoir and an arm that goes to the Otterbox None problem to see the dashboard either .. Satisfied with the deal.:D

funk1980

Jan 15, 2009
Groningen
Yep it was medium from memory - will check for sure later today if I remember when I get home. I got the short arm, the ball that bolts on to the back and there's a bracket that bolts on to the clamp of my clip on - I could take a pic if that would be helpful?

Yes, a picture (if possible with the Touch HD in it :D) will be much appreciated. That way I can see what it actually looks like instead of the commercial pictures. Thanks is advance.

bufodill

Sep 11, 2007
Oooh, this I can't wait to see. If it works good on your clipon, I'll order a set myself.
Want to use my blacstone w/garmin mobile xt on my new bike :D

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention that it's the ram aqua box I'm interessted in :p

Last edited:

XOMYT

Sep 8, 2007
Paris
And has somebody tried an Otterbox 2600 Series PDA Case ? It is a little smaller than 1900, but as the interior dimensions fit, it can be a deal.

fjellborg

Dec 1, 2008
And has somebody tried an Otterbox 2600 Series PDA Case ? It is a little smaller than 1900, but as the interior dimensions fit, it can be a deal.
Hello.
Right that you look after the Otterbox.
Good quality.
I have rammounts aquabox and in comparison this is aquaboxs screen NOT so clearly transparent..my otterbox is better clearly screen and much better touchrespons. ;)

Last edited:

fishes234

Sep 4, 2005
Right then, it's the medium aquabox this one
http://www.ram-mount-uk.com/ram-hol-aq2.htm

I've attached a picture of it mounted on the bike. As you can see it's bolted on to the clipon clamp: you just loosen the arma and take the arm and box with you, leaving the bracket and ball attached to the bike. I got the short arm which is more than sufficient I think and you can pull it upwards towards you either in bright sunshine or when you've got a fully loaded tankbag on the bike. The lens bit could be better I guess, but it does the job - the only thing you have to do is make sure you don't get any raindrops inside when it's raining otherwise it tends to steam up with the heat of the phone.

I run a USB cable through a hole drilled in the bottom of the aquabox, down the side of the tank and under the seat where it plugs into a cigarette lighter usb charger which plugs into a maplin lighter socket and into the battery.

Attachments

• DSC_5985.JPG
    DSC_5985.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 218

bufodill

Sep 11, 2007
Dude, thanks this is exactly what I am thinking about buying.
Would you mind taking a picture of just the bracket with the ball? I mean, when you've detached the arm/aqua box?

The question is what bracket to buy. Is it the RAM Motorcycle Zinc Coated 0.75" To 1.25" Rail Or Handlebar U-Bolt Base?

or the RAM Universal Brake/Clutch & Handlebar Combination Kit?

And they even have more to choose from. I don't even understand how to fix the Brake/Clutch Reservoir Base... :)

Ah, found the motorcycle mount wizard, which tells me that it's the first one I mentioned... :)

Last edited:

manicmonkey

Feb 5, 2009
Great thread guys, I've been looking at exactly the same mount myself and its good to know it won't be a waste of money!