[Q] What's the best 8 inch budget tablet?

Search This thread

zener773

Oct 6, 2007
Hello Everyone,

I decided that 8 inches tablets are the way to go for pdf files. Sure a 10 or 11' has more screen real estate, but 8 inches tablets are more portable. Now, I narrowed down my choices to the Acer Iconia A1-810, Asus Memo Pad 8 and the Dell Venue 8. They are all 8 inches and very affordable. I must mention that I only have about $200 to spend, so anything over $200 is out of the question. I was considering the first generation Nexus 7, but a 7 inch tablet is not ideal for my collection of technical pdf files (o'reilly programming books,engineering books, etc). I know if I get the Nexus 7, I'll get tired of zooming in all the time just to read a textbook and more than likely end up playing games. I'm aware that due to my low budget, I can't expect a lot from those two choices. Having said that, what I don't like about the Iconia A1-810 is its low resolution and that it only has 1GB of memory. Then again, the original iPad Mini had the same low resolution (1024x768). The Dell Venue 8 on the other hand, has 2GB of ram and a 1280x800 resolution. The problem is that I have heard so many negative comments about this tablet dying suddenly or the screen having zero sensitivity. What do you think? Any advice? Thank you in advance and have a successful 2014!!

johna2u

Dec 13, 2011
orangevale
Another tablet you might consider is the Le Pan Mini. Its an 8" with a 4:3 ratio (or close to it). IPS panel with 1024 x 768 resolution. Quad core 1.2 GHz. Super thin and light. I'm getting about 8 hours at least on a charge. I bought one about 2 weeks ago for 129.00 at OfficeMax. They are currently on sale for 149.00. I love it.

I was strongly considering that dell venue 8 as well but they didn't have one on display and like you I've heard some negative reviews on it. Plus I've had 3 other Le Pan tablets and really liked them. Check out LePanForum.com for a good review and some pictures.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: zener773

johna2u

Dec 13, 2011
orangevale
Well I broke down and bought a dell venue 8 (android). It is a great tablet. Screen crisp, clear and responsive. The tablet is very quick and the on board speaker is strong loud and clear. I've read the negative reviews but I must say it is a great tablet.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

_xda_

Jun 9, 2013
What do you guys think of the Nook HD+... (I wish I could quote the magazine which recently listed it as being around $130 + tax.) If its 9" or so, it sounds very doable. I'm not too pleased with my Kindle Fire HD which is around 7" I think (bought it in fall of 2012).

Thankfully, you don't always have to click through to a website in a Google search. It looks like Rakuten.com lists this nook as $139.

Not too long ago I was impressed by a review of a $40 tablet: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/375135843933067744/ The guy in the video didn't seem to be affiliated with the company at all so I was wondering what you guys think of dirt cheap tablets.

8" tablets may be a little more portable than 10-11" tablets but the 8-incher still doesn't fit in the pocket. To each his own - I now have a bluetooth keyboard for my kindle yet I still find it too difficult to work on, but it could be because of the tasks I accomplish.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Another tablet you might consider is the Le Pan Mini. Its an 8" with a 4:3 ratio (or close to it). IPS panel with 1024 x 768 resolution. Quad core 1.2 GHz. Super thin and light. I'm getting about 8 hours at least on a charge. I bought one about 2 weeks ago for 129.00 at OfficeMax. They are currently on sale for 149.00. I love it.

I was strongly considering that dell venue 8 as well but they didn't have one on display and like you I've heard some negative reviews on it. Plus I've had 3 other Le Pan tablets and really liked them. Check out LePanForum.com for a good review and some pictures.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk