[Q] unlocked att htc m8 cannot send/receive mms

Search This thread

boardstark

Mar 23, 2010
I'd still keep trying with the APNs. Make sure with the carrier which APN is associated with your account, as there may be several. AT&T for instance has some 3 or 4 different APNs.

Rogers doesn't have any RUUs for this phone, as far as I am aware I don't see how CM will help, unless the ROM specifically supports Rogers and will have the proper Rogers APN pre-configured (or other things like build.prop). You may have better luck trying to find the stock Rogers ROM, or have another member here upload it for you.

Thanks! I and a teir 2 set of technical support staff from rogers (working over 10 days) have yet to successfully resolve the issue with APN settings. I also tried making sure that roaming was enabled since technically im not in the normal AT&T coverage zone. Figured that may have stopped data transmission, but it was also unsuccessful.

I think you are right. Might be best I start searching for a Rogers ROM. I did read somewhere that CM seemed to resolve this issue on some other phones. They may have been Tmobile though.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks! I and a teir 2 set of technical support staff from rogers (working over 10 days) have yet to successfully resolve the issue with APN settings.

I would still search around for different Rogers APN settings, and try them all. The tech support may still have missed something, even despite their experience. It doesn't hurt to try, in any case. You won't break anything by trying different APNs.

I'd also double check and triple check that you have entered every APN setting field exactly correctly. I was driving myself crazy one time, thinking I had the wrong APN settings; when all it was, I had entered an extra space or missed a character on one of the lines.

It might also help if you posted the APN settings you've tried here, so we can take a look.

tiunilohmu

Dec 27, 2006
I have the same problem.
update to 4.4.3 from 4.4.2
unlocked bootloader, load twrp, and rooted
flash viper 2.5 rom (4.4.3)
Done, everything works, even tmobile wifi calling, awsome rom

boardstark

Mar 23, 2010
MMS Solved Using CM12

I'd still keep trying with the APNs. Make sure with the carrier which APN is associated with your account, as there may be several. AT&T for instance has some 3 or 4 different APNs.

Rogers doesn't have any RUUs for this phone, as far as I am aware I don't see how CM will help, unless the ROM specifically supports Rogers and will have the proper Rogers APN pre-configured (or other things like build.prop). You may have better luck trying to find the stock Rogers ROM, or have another member here upload it for you.

So Sorry for the loong delay. Life sometimes gets in the way. UPDATE since last discussion.

I took my ATT M8, BL-unlocked it, installed TRWP custom recovery and installed a ATT CM 12 lollipop (stable) build. Two findings,

1. CM 12 automatically loaded 4 of the most common APN settings to the APN settings location. I selected the ltemobile.apn one and instantly everything worked. MMS included!

2. the CM ltemobile.apn settings listed automatically are different from the Rogers APN settings that come on a new purchased from rogers M8, but it still works.

3. I deleted all the APNS in CM12 and created a new one using the same rogers specific APN settings that I had been trying before I rooted. Those settings now worked perfectly as well. MMS included.

Only issue is that CM 12 has issues with the infrared remote not functioning, which I use, so I'm returning to my MMS non functioning stock and continuing to search for a better solution. Will keep everyone posted.

boardstark

Mar 23, 2010
APN Settings from actual Rogers M8

I would still search around for different Rogers APN settings, and try them all. The tech support may still have missed something, even despite their experience. It doesn't hurt to try, in any case. You won't break anything by trying different APNs.

I'd also double check and triple check that you have entered every APN setting field exactly correctly. I was driving myself crazy one time, thinking I had the wrong APN settings; when all it was, I had entered an extra space or missed a character on one of the lines.

It might also help if you posted the APN settings you've tried here, so we can take a look.

Also Here are the actual Rogers HTC M8 APN settings print screen'ed from a friends M8. Again purchased at a rogers store. These settings did not work on the unrooted ATT M8. However these APN settings DID work after rooting and loading CM12.

Hope this helps someone out there!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-12-08-57-20.png
    Screenshot_2014-11-12-08-57-20.png
    108.7 KB · Views: 163
  • Screenshot_2014-11-12-08-57-28.png
    Screenshot_2014-11-12-08-57-28.png
    110.7 KB · Views: 166
  • Screenshot_2014-11-12-08-57-34.png
    Screenshot_2014-11-12-08-57-34.png
    110 KB · Views: 166

Wonders_Never_Cease

Jul 10, 2013
Att default messaging software will not allow mms on anything other than their network...if unlocked flash a rom from your carrier,rogers,tmobile or developer edition will work....if soff change cid and mid for your carrier and flash carrier roms...

T-MILL88

Sep 29, 2015
I am having the same exact issue on my HTC one m8 verizon version. I have T-Mobile and I can not send/recieve mms messages, no data at all, and my voicemail doesnt work. Put in the right APN settings.. nothing changed could you be more thorough TheEndGame7 with the on how to backup the telephony.db file and installing SQLite Editor? I am completly unfamiliar... Maybe a link to a step by step video?? Thanks!

---------- Post added at 08:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 AM ----------

I am having the same exact issue on my HTC one m8 verizon version. I have T-Mobile and I can not send/recieve mms messages, no data at all, and my voicemail doesnt work. Put in the right APN settings.. nothing changed could you be more thorough TheEndGame7 with the on how to backup the telephony.db file and installing SQLite Editor? I am completly unfamiliar... Maybe a link to a step by step video?? Thanks!

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
I am having the same exact issue on my HTC one m8 verizon version. I have T-Mobile

This section is specifically for the AT&T version M8, so you may not get the best info here.

Put in the right APN settings.. nothing changed could you be more thorough

How do you know its the right APN settings? How do we know its right, if you don't supply any details? Reason I ask that, is that folks here will often post that they "used the right settings/file, etc." (with no specifics) but when you actually prod them for details, it turns out they were not using the right one(s).

As noted, this section is specific to AT&T. So we're not as knowledgeable on the T-Mob network. But be aware that carriers often use multiple APNs, and the "correct" one for you has to be a certain one your account is provisioned for. Plus, you should double and triple check that every single setting is typed exactly and precisely correct. Just a single extra space or wrong character will break the while APN and your data connection.

Did you verify that the SIM works in another phone for data? As long as the phone is SIM unlocked (and VZN version is SIM unlocked out of the box) and the SIM is good; not getting data is often an APN issue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, I finally fixed my problem with not being able to send or receive MMS. :D

I have a AT&T M8 that recently switched over to T-Mobile. I decided to root, s-off, and changed over the developer edition ROM. I was even able to get OTA update after it was done.

I am ecstatic and exhausted after the process but seeing that I was able to get ride of that annoy AT&T boot up music was all worth it. :good::victory:

Now my follow up question is this. I now have a rooted phone with S-off. Should I worry more about security in the future? I typically only download from the Play store but I believe that there are a lot of junk out there as well. Should I lock my bootloader since I won't be doing anything like this the future?

All feedbacks are appreciated.
    For AT&T HTC M8 Unlocked "T-Mobile User's" Only!

For those that might not have figured it out yet: Backup your current telephony.db file and Replace it.. Unzip and Copy the file attached to: data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases with ES File Manager (Any Root Browser Should Work) then Reboot and wait till you get Data, make sure you can browse the interweb and test sending a photo to yourself! ;)

This was achieved on my Stock Rooted AT&T Unlocked HTC M8 on T-Mobile!

Backing up stuff is always Good! Recovery and a Good Root File Manager are your friends!

I tried exactly what you said same setup no results any advise?