Multiple Users within Honeycomb[Discussion][Solution]

Search This thread

Jenoin

Jun 30, 2010
I found a simple solution on my NC for the time being : Dual Boot.

Default Boot : Them . Hold down a key press on boot : Me.

-m

I understand what you are saying, but not sure how you are going about this? Is this an option in clockwork mod or something? Does it cause any problems if apps are on the SD card as opposed to in ROM?

Adapt0r

Jan 17, 2009
There is App Protector Pro - application that password protects launching of personal applications such as email, Market and any other. When you give the tab to somebody he cannot spend your money or look at your personal correspondence.
App Protector is deactivated for all protected apps when you enter the password once and activated after going to sleep.
I use it on my phone and Galaxy Tab,

snurrsson

Aug 19, 2009
I saw something about multiple user handling.... It is in a "how to" document posted by L.t.r. consulting. (I'm to new on XDA to be allowed to post outside links, so you have to Google it)

It is made for the Nook Color device but could be at god starting point.

klaus9000

Nov 6, 2008
Bump. I really like the idea of maybe two unlock sliders on the lock screen one for each person that wants to login.

burden010

Sep 7, 2008

cyberplague

Oct 20, 2008
I have used the method above, and do use it on my nook color. The developer is also responsive and I am sure could give help to making it work with the xoom. I believe it would just be a matter of getting the partitions correct.

With this solution you open a terminal prompt on the tablet, type

sp user2

then it prompts for a password

creates an encrypted data partition, unmounts the current data partition and mounts the new encrypted one, then restarts the display. Think of it as a softboot.

Takes about 30 seconds, and when it comes up it is a completely different profile.

As it currently is coded, to get back to the default (boot) profile you just reboot. But I believe it could be changed to unmount and remount the main partition without having to do a hard reboot. But I haven't tried coding that yet.

I have 3 accounts on my nook, the default one it boots into (my daughters account), then two others one for my wife and one for me.

Works very well.

Last edited: