[Kernel] OC to 1100Mhz and linaro gcc 4.7 (New version with fast display mode)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań
Hi, how do you use this? Turn it on/off etc?

Thanks

1. I have bash script in Gscript (hidden under the clock icon)
2. I also have a shortcut to fastmode2 in quicknav (shortcut bar that shows up after you press the "n" button)
3. You can also bind the "n button long press" to the fastmode2. I use this keybinding to turn on NoRefresh

I use it for everything interchangeably with NoRefresh. When the contrast in PDF is too low I turn off fastmode and turn on NoRefresh.

This my config. Change quicknav shortcuts using "Nook Touch Mod Manager"
The icons are obviously different. After they get changed in NTMM you will have to reboot the NOOK to see new icons.

5zk8.jpg

Last edited:

cowbutt

Feb 11, 2010
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Moto G
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43797159&postcount=172

Hi can I please Check, does this version work on a rooted Nook running 1.2.1? Also, do you install from SD using the usual CWM boot method?

Thanks

To the best of my knowledge, this kernel is based on an older set of Nook kernel sources from Barnes & Noble (i.e. it'll be a downgrade in some respects from the stock 1.2.1 kernel).

Better these days, IMHO, to use latuk's latest kernel (from http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43797159&postcount=172) which is reportedly based on the 1.2.1 sources and also has some additional fixes and features.

You'll need to manually install via adb IIRC.

Reactions: symbiosis01

cowbutt

Feb 11, 2010
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Moto G
I did reboot the device. There is no change to the device and the multitouch is not working. How can I check if the kernel is changed?

Try using FastMode2 from http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=39529578&postcount=140. If the eInk display changes from grayscale to stippled monochrome, you're using the new kernel.

As confirmation, running
Code:
cat /proc/version
from adb or Terminal Emulator should report

Code:
Linux version 2.6.29-omap1 (user@lubuntu) (gcc version 4.4.1 (Sourcery G++ Lite 2010q1-201) ) #24 PREMPT Mon Jul 15 14:21:30 MSK 2013

Multitouch reportedly doesn't work in many apps.

D

Deleted member 412180

It seems everything is ok - the version is correct and fastmode2 works. Thank you!
Are there any other tweaks that might increase the performance of the NST? Today I've read almost everything in the forum and now I don't remember anything :)

cowbutt

Feb 11, 2010
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Moto G
It seems everything is ok - the version is correct and fastmode2 works. Thank you!
Are there any other tweaks that might increase the performance of the NST? Today I've read almost everything in the forum and now I don't remember anything :)

Install CPU Master Free and set the scaling governor to 'ondemand' and the clock range to 300MHz-1000MHz (slight overclock from 800MHz), and enable 'set on boot'.

D

Deleted member 412180

Install CPU Master Free and set the scaling governor to 'ondemand' and the clock range to 300MHz-1000MHz (slight overclock from 800MHz), and enable 'set on boot'.

Great app!
I've also disabled all BnN's apps (except Download Provider) + Google Partner setup and some other, that I don't use. Now I have 140mb upon restart and the device is working great! I've tried to install Angry Burds - just to see the performance, but the app says that it is incompatible with the device. Any ideas?
The only side effect that I found is that the apps should be installed only from Search Market, not from google play site. Once installed from the NST, they appear in my apps i google play.

Last edited by a moderator:

bejam

Dec 7, 2006
Working on the glowlight?

Very useful thread. I have managed to get the latest kernel ( latuk's version here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43797159&postcount=172 ) working and the processor overclocked with the new fastmode. All very zippy.

My problem is that I have the Glowlight NST and latuk's kernel doesn't seem to support it (glowlight not working). Anyone managed to get around this or have an uptodate kernel that supports glowlight? Much appreciated.

scoobdriver

Feb 12, 2009
Very useful thread. I have managed to get the latest kernel ( latuk's version here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43797159&postcount=172 ) working and the processor overclocked with the new fastmode. All very zippy.

My problem is that I have the Glowlight NST and latuk's kernel doesn't seem to support it (glowlight not working). Anyone managed to get around this or have an uptodate kernel that supports glowlight? Much appreciated.

Would also be very interested to hear on the Kernel for the Glowlight.. I sooo want to install this, but need the light to work :/

Daz555

Nov 30, 2010
I have installled the kernel by applying the zip from CWM.

I am able to set the CPU speed via No Frills CPU Control so I know that aspect has worked. However I'm not sure what is going on with fast display. There is app for it in the App Drawer but when I click it, the screen just refreshes - nothing seems to change.

How do I configure/enable disable fast display mode?

Also more generally when using the Nook in Launcher 8 the screen just gets more and more washed out as you use it. It never seems to "clean" itself every so often as it does when in the B&N reader. Any ideas?

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań
I have installled the kernel by applying the zip from CWM.

I am able to set the CPU speed via No Frills CPU Control so I know that aspect has worked. However I'm not sure what is going on with fast display. There is app for it in the App Drawer but when I click it, the screen just refreshes - nothing seems to change.

How do I configure/enable disable fast display mode?

Also more generally when using the Nook in Launcher 8 the screen just gets more and more washed out as you use it. It never seems to "clean" itself every so often as it does when in the B&N reader. Any ideas?

NoRefresh - contrast settings, works only in the current apk, you have to enable it every time you switch running apk (put a shortcut on quick bar or under a physical button).

https://github.com/marspeople/NoRefreshToggle/downloads

debug for FW 1.2.x
standard for FW 1.1.x

First run starts the service, second run changes screen refresh mode.

Fastmode - works constatnly. Sometimes generates ghosting (try to fiddle with OC settings)

fastmode2 - FW 1.2.x
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=39529578

fastmode - included in kernel installation pack
for FW 1.1.x

You can only run one app at the time. NoRefresh or Fastmode. Running both at the same time will generate mess on the screen.

Crispy3000

May 26, 2013
Looking for best kernel around for NSTG running 1.2.1. Need multitouch, fastmode, glow. USB host would be a bonus. Any recommendations?

Most of kernels around here except latuk's are based on 1.1.X sources. Sadly no glow support on his kernel.

here

This thread of course

Q: What actual benefits are there for running a kernel based on the newer sources?

Q: I've used the 166 kernel in this thread on my NST. I get serious lag that I don't get on my 1.1 base NST running the multitouch kernel. I've reduced it a bit changing the Governor. Is this because its based on early sources than the system is running?

idoit

Jan 5, 2012
Canada <3 Iran
I'd appreciate if someone can educate me on this: Isn't NST equipped with 800Mhz processor, so how come this kernel is said to be 1Ghz or 1.1Ghz?! Is overclocking 'bad' for NSTs? battery life, e-Ink screen issues, etc. whatever bad means :D

Last edited:

Crispy3000

May 26, 2013
I'd appreciate if someone can educate me on this: Isn't NST equipped with 800Mhz processor, so how come this kernel is said to be 1Ghz or 1.1Ghz?! Is overclocking 'bad' for NSTs? battery life, e-Ink screen issues, etc. whatever bad means :D

Overclocking will only affect life of your CPU. Depending how much you overclock above the CPUs correct frequency you will non-linearly decrease its life. e.g. running at 1.1GHz will decrease lifespan and risk failure alot more than running at 900Mhz. Bare in mind the NST or any android device does not spend all time in the max possible frequency. The Governor (of which there are quite a few e.g. ondemand, conservative, performance) decides how quickly and under what circumstance the cpu frequency should change. So you may only run at 1.1Ghz 5% of the time when the NST is busy.

Reactions: idoit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Because I suffer some problems in the vision, I bought a Nook Simple Touch to perform some of the functions performed with my asus transformer but with an electronic ink display. I must say I'm quite satisfied with its functionalty, but despite having to severely limit my hours in front of screens, I could not resist to modify the kernel.

The kernel adds frequencies of 1GHz and 1.1GHz, besides being modified to compile using gcc 4.7 from Linaro. I've also changed some compilation options.
    The kernel includes the modifications for multitouch.

Attached the patch for the original source code 1.1 and my build.
    Don't forget to rename the uImage.img to uImage (renamed it to allow the uploading)

Since version 2, the kernel support the normal and glow versions.

REMOVED temporarily
    New version of FastMode.apk written by me.
    Works on FW 1.2.x.
    No one else wanted to do this, so I have learned something new and created my first android apk.
    You can thank me later.
    New version with a new fast display mode

I've been testing the epaper's driver, both to see how it work and to testing if I could get something new.

I added a parameter (/ sys/devices/platform/omap3epfb.0/graphics/fb0/fmode) that can enable a new fast mode.

By default starts at 0, so it works very much as always (although I modified some behavior, I have to do more tests), and if we put it to 1 enables a new faster mode.

To not extend much (and avoid being too much in front of the computer screen), I recorded a video showing the new mode, and also put a couple of images to compare the normal mode with the new one.

I have also created a small program that will allow us to switch between the two modes (I use the Reading now button for it)

Hope you are interested.

I compiled the latest version with usbhost patch and I've put a ramdisk that I think should work with all versions (glow and no glow).
    Also upload the file to install the normal kernel with the same modified ramdisk (the previous failed on glow version).
    Now I'm very short for time and I have not been able to test, but I prefer to upload it, and in case anyone is encouraged to try, please, confirm proper operation so others can use it.

If only need the kernel, you can get it from the boot folder on the zip.
    New version

Apart from some arrangements, I added smartassV2 as new governor, sio as the new io scheduler and veno as tcp congestion control.
    I hope the first thing improves system response, the second improved access to the flash and the third improve somewhat the wifi.
    Anyway, the best way to check is to try and comment the results because not everyone uses it the same way.

As always put the kernel file, uImage.img, to be renamed uImage before installing and a zip file to install all from cwm recovery, this time including a uRamdisk modified to use smartassV2 since boot.