Guide - Unlock XT862 for T-mobile/ATT

Search This thread

RWALEY

Sep 4, 2008
Have you used an updated build.prop? The end results from the first post are a bit out of date now.

I have uploaded some newer build.prop files in this thread that adjust the signal reading among other things. Verizon intentionally made the signal bars report a lower reading.

There are also some newer radio basebands that are also available in this thread. Not sure how much of a help they are compared to the original.

Thanks! I am now using my Droid 3 with AT&T with 3G.

I don't get great service, however. In my house I usually get full bars. Now I get 1 bar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

leerpsp

May 13, 2011
not saying
I use my droid 3 without unlock code outside the US and can't use GSM network in my country ( VietNam , 3G WCDMA 2100Hz band ) . Can I try this GUIDE on my droid 3 to use my country network ????

Many thankxxx for any reply my question . Thankxxx for read :X

It will work but you still need to buy the unlock code after you do that use the guide then it will work

Sent from my XT862 using XDA

MrObvious

Mar 1, 2008
Wichita KS
Or take the 890 SBF, switch the radio out of it into the 883 flash stuff, and flash the Verizon radio on here. Problem solved.

Sent from my XT862 using XDA

Aug 16, 2009
Portland, OR
I use Eclipse, that ROM only shows 3G. Not to worry about the icon, it is just cosmetic. The phone has the capability to get up to 14.4 HSDPA.

At the bottom of my build.prop, the area marked GSM SIGNAL IMPROVEMENTS, that would be the place to experiment with. I believe those settings are tweaked for 1900MHz. You may want to try some different hsdpa/hsupa categories. I do not know what it would be for 2100. I would probably wait for some other non-US users to chime in and see if they are also experiencing your reception issues.

Also, I am fairly certain flashing the XT860 radio will not work due to a signature mismatch. The XT862/XT883 are the exact same hardware, same signatures and everything. I believe the XT860 does have some differences.

There is a collection of XT860 fastboot SBF files here:
http://sbf.droid-developers.org/umts_solana/list.php

I have contemplated flashing one but I do not want to permanently brick the phone. Perhaps someone else knows if they will work?

Not to sidetrack the current conversation to an older one, but anybody try this yet? If so, I'm curious to hear how it went.

Found another thread on the same topic.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1443359

Reactions: kamazepine

NIGHTMARE-

Sep 16, 2011
Hi, I forget to enter my unlock code and I just flashed the phone with XT 883, so no GSM sim is not working even is not asking for activation code, only CDMA sim is working. How I can get back the verzion ROM to enter the unlock code ? Please help me out

Aug 27, 2011
Atlanta, GA
sim unlocking

I went to unlock4moto to get an unlock code, which one should I buy?
"Any Motorola" has worked twice for me from them, one phone used (activated on VZW last October) and one brand new but never activated.

if its saying saying unlock failed then the code does not work and if you thank about it all you have to do is flash the radio
It did the same for me when I tried to unlock, as presumably my ATT sim was denied by the stock XT862 radio, but after I flashed the XT883 radio it did not ask again, so it really did unlock the first time. The second phone I updated with the radio first, then the unlock code, and it replied with "Unlock successful".

@COMPACTER. you are wrong. There are a couple of d3 that won´t unlock with a unlock code from ebay or somewhere else.
While possible, I think the case I described above is more likely, the unlock actually works but the US ATT/Tmo sim is still prohibited by the radio.
Also, if you enter an incorrect unlock code enough times, it may go into lockdown and deny even the correct code, possibly to prevent brute force unlocking.

marshcat

Dec 17, 2006
Stuck at the very last step.

I'm running the Eclipse rom, and just need to change the settings to put the phone into GSM mode.

However, "the process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly" keeps popping up so I can't get into the wireless settings menu.

Do I need to flash the stock rom? Any workarounds?

KayxGee1

Jul 28, 2011
Totowa
Stuck at the very last step.

I'm running the Eclipse rom, and just need to change the settings to put the phone into GSM mode.

However, "the process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly" keeps popping up so I can't get into the wireless settings menu.

Do I need to flash the stock rom? Any workarounds?

I get this every so often running stock. What you have to do is: Power Off> Take out SIM card> Power on phone> Keep closing the process until the network switches to CDMA (you will see a triangle and the error will go away> Power off phone> Insert SIM> Power On> Enjoy!

Sent from my Droid 3 on AT&T with Unlimited Data

Reactions: 5318008

jchipper

Feb 5, 2012
I followed the instructions and it worked but what i didn't realize is that my phone would not work on Verizon, I need it to work on verizon, i was just trying to get both to work radio's to work so what do i do to get back to verizon?

Thanks

Jonathon

Last edited:

Skreelink

Nov 28, 2010
I followed the instructions and it worked but what i didn't realize is that my phone would not work on Verizon, I need it to work on verizon, i was just trying to get both to work radio's to work so what do i do to get back to verizon?

Thanks

Jonathon

Just change your build.prop back to the original and use the same method with moto-fastboot to flash the original radio.

I've uploaded the 890 radio pulled from the flash files, 29p to be exact. Flash it, then *228 program to get back onto verizon. :)

Stock 890 Radio here: http://depositfiles.com/files/n7sn2qo29

I've been trying to make flashable zips for the radios as to cut out the middle-man req. of a PC. I just keep getting motorola.moto-flash as an unknown function... Despite trying multiple update-binaries from official and non-official sources. I'm assuming CWM/Safestrap doesn't support it.

Reactions: jchipper

jchipper

Feb 5, 2012
Just change your build.prop back to the original and use the same method with moto-fastboot to flash the original radio.

I've uploaded the 890 radio pulled from the flash files, 29p to be exact. Flash it, then *228 program to get back onto verizon. :)

Stock 890 Radio here: http://depositfiles.com/files/n7sn2qo29

I've been trying to make flashable zips for the radios as to cut out the middle-man req. of a PC. I just keep getting motorola.moto-flash as an unknown function... Despite trying multiple update-binaries from official and non-official sources. I'm assuming CWM/Safestrap doesn't support it.

Thanks! to bad there isn't a way to make both ATT-GSM and Verizon CDMA work at the same time

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thought I would share based on my experiences on trying to get this phone to work on t-mobile. It works on ATT 3g/T-mobile Edge, but still a pretty cool phone to have.

Also another note, this is a mod that will only go through on Windows. You will need ROOT EXPLORER app for this method to work.

1 - Make sure you are on the stock XT862 ROM, if you aren't flash it via this method found here: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/4370-sbf-droid-3-fastboot-files-55959-and-56890/

2 - Make sure your phone is rooted, if not download the following and follow the steps found here: http://www.psouza4.com/droid3/

3 - Unlock the phone. This can be accomplished by purchasing the unlock code, and later entering the code upon insertion of a sim card. (T-mobile ATT sim cards will work, but you will get an error saying UNLOCK FAILED, this is NORMAL do not freak out)

4 - Download the following files and unzip it to your desktop: http://www.mediafire.com/?y1wjw775v8itsx3

5 - Click Start and open cmd.

6 - Type in the following in cmd:
    'cd desktop'
    'cd fastboot'
    'moto-fastboot flash radio radio.img'

ONCE it flashes, then enter:

'moto-fastboot reboot'

7 - Use root explorer to push the build.prop into the system folder

8 - Reboot, select GSM/UMTS in Network Settings.

AND BAM now it works. If there is any confusion please let me know.
    Nice! Is that the XT883 radio you're flashing or a real unlocked (and signed) XT862 radio?

Also - change
    Code:
    ro.mot.phonemode.vzwglobalphone=1
    to
    Code:
    ro.mot.phonemode.vzwglobalphone=0
    in build.prop to get normal reading on signal strength indicator.

You can also change
    Code:
    ro.telephony.default_network=7
    to
    Code:
    ro.telephony.default_network=3
    so phone starts automatically in GSM/UMTS mode after hard reset.
    In case someone doesn't know how to replace their build.prop with the tweaked one, which goes in your /system folder. What it does is trick your phone into thinking it's an xt883 so it will work with gsm in the US. Be aware that all the links/instructions here are found elsewhere, so you can find this info if you search. If you need more help, search, but ask anyway if you need it. Just be sure to say thanks ;-) Best way to swap build.prop is to do the following:

1. Download Root Browser, free version from Android Market.

2. When you are going through the process of following the steps in the original post, you should download a .zip file which should contain the build.prop file that you need, along with the radio.img you should've already flashed using cmd prompt commands on your PC. If you can't find this file, just download the .zip again, unzip and you'll find it there.

3. Connect your phone to your PC via usb and move the build.prop file to your external sd card (or whichever one you feel comfy with lol), to a folder where you will remember it and access it later from Root Browser.

4. After moving the file to your sd card, simply go to the folder you placed it in, in Root Browser, then long-press the file and select 'move'. Then navigate to your /system folder which is found in the '/' or root folder. There should be a paste button on screen, or press menu to paste the tweaked build.prop file in /system. This will replace your original build.prop, so you might want to save a copy of it on your sd card, but honestly you don't need it. You can always recover your phone using the fast/easy unbrick tool also found in the dev forum, which will put your phone back to stock.

5. Once you have moved the tweaked build.prop you downloaded from xda, reboot your phone like normal. If the radio doesn't pick up a signal now, you should go to your settings to change to gsm.

*Before this next step*
    Be sure that if you see a dialogue box pop up at any time saying "there are no available gsm networks, would you like to switch to global mode?", select 'cancel', because it will just change your phone to the previous settings, which is bad. Global mode doesn't allow gsm, so you don't want it to pick that mode. Do not select the check box, as when you lose signal at times, this box will need to pop up again and you'll need to hit cancel every time. This tells your phone to wait until it finds your correct gsm signal (I believe this is fixed by one of the build.prop edits suggested here in this thread, by making the phone think it is not a verizon global phone...it will pick up signal after every reboot).

6. In settings, go to wifi & networks>mobile networks>network mode, choose gsm/umts, then tap back button to go back to mobile networks>select network, tap automatic, then go back to mobile networks>operator selection, deselect the checkbox that says 'choose automatically', then tap 'search for networks', choose T-Mobile 2G (or whatever Operator you use (you'll only get edge on T-Mobile)), and go back to mobile networks>Access point names, and if everything else goes well, this should show T-Mobile already selected. If not, google search 'tmobile apn settings' and type in the correct info you find. I can provide the info to type in if it still doesn't work, but it should work with anything you find online. Just type it all in as shown in pretty much any Android related article you find online.

If you make it this far with no problems, your phone should work just fine. No, nothing done here is very hard, it's just a lengthy process the first time.

There are more build.prop tweaks you can perform by using the text editor built into Root Browser, which works very well. You can find these tweaks in the same forum as the original tutorial, as a comment from someone. Be sure to be very precise any time you mess with build.prop, as your phone needs this file when it boots up, and screwing up the wrong line will brick your phone. You can always force it to recover using the fastboot (fast/easy) unbrick method I mentioned earlier, so have fun. Also, Root Browser will usually force close after tweaking build.prop, and you need to reboot to make sure you see the full effects of your changes.

Sorry this is so long, it was a PM to another member who needed it spelled out. Hopefully this will prevent others from having the same issues.

OP, this would go great in your guide, or maybe a link to it for noobs. I already PMd you about it, but I made some more edits here :)
    Also, if anyone is interested:

I experimented with adding some features from the Bell Canada XT860 build.prop
    The signal strength and speed improved after this modification.

Speed Test app went from around 1000~2000 to almost 5000 for me.

However, there is no CDMA support at all.
    Pretty much a hybridization of the XT883 and XT860 build.prop

File is attached.

EDIT: New file attached. Think I got rid of the Chinese letters on the am/pm.
    Using Verizon XT862 regional settings so now this is a combination of XT860, 862, & 883 build.props

Rebooted about 25 times, no sign of the Chinese letters so far.
    Just an update on some common issues:

I have converted a bunch of XT862s to be GSM compatible over the last few months. Older SIM cards definitely do cause issues with reception and ability to get data.

People with Cingular, or older AT&T SIM cards could not get any data, APN info was empty and locked from adding new entries. Voice worked but reception was 5 to 10 dBm worse than phones with newer SIM cards. Obtaining a new SIM fixed the APN issue along with the poor reception issue.

I encourage anyone running into these problems to just get a new SIM.

In addition, I have an updated flashable build.prop GSM fix.
    Flashes in recovery and instantly restores the correct build.prop for XT883 radio.