[Q] Is this device worth buying now?

Search This thread
Hi.

I currently own a Galaxy Note 10.1 (2012) and unfortunately I woke it up during lunch and was surprised to find that the screen now hates black and now it displays things incorrectly. It's still usable but ugly to look at. So I've read some reviews and it seems that the battery life is much worse and it's laggy even with 8 cores. So after more than 6 months, is this cellphone/tablet worth it now? I prefer the 10 inch notes for random sketching though but I normally do my art with a real Wacom tablet. I'm thinking of either suffering until the release of the next Galaxy Note 10.1 or possibly jump at Asus Transformer Book V or just jumping to the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014. I mainly just use my tablet for Internet and drawing on Sketchbook Pro.

Last edited:

GalaxyNotesTx

Jan 25, 2014
If you are normal with a life and don't sit around all day and pick at everything , This tablet is the best out there for the money,,I have had mine since Dec 21013 and had no issues , I'm rooted and its stupid fast and does everything, Don't listen to the reviews on this tab, most of the bad ones are IPad goons and people with way too much time on their hands.

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: WJThomas

AM Radio

Jul 20, 2011
NR13-ROMEO-03
best Android tablet right now — better than the Asus/Tegra offering, with higher res and functionality than Sony's Xperia Z2 Tab. can't beat the SPen. only gripe is the Sammy Book cover is crazy expensive.

AM Radio

Jul 20, 2011
NR13-ROMEO-03
Doh! Didn't see the Maple Leaf the first time. I've always wondered that if a "friend" sends something like that (mine came in just a regular 8x10-ish packing envelope) to you in Canada, how closely would HM Customs examine it, and if the shipping would be crazy expensive?

Too bad about Best Buy- ours here have them (at MSRP, though).

if it's a "gift", we are allowed up to a certain amount, but that designation depends on the seller (eBay peeps can be accommodating). sometimes i'll get stuff shipped to Point Roberts, just across the border, and then take a drive and roll the dice with the border guard. i've had $700 phones and gear sent that way, and have lucked out.

you Americans get all the good stuff! the black version of the P600 hasn't even been released yet here. and probably won't be ...

gotta say, i really dig the Official Book Cover. slim, and still shows off the design of the tablet, with just enough protection for the screen (not using any film or tempered glass on the screen.

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
If you want to root while keeping warranty, I suggest NOT buying this tablet.

I just bought it and regretted it due to the above. I don't install custom ROM, but I need root for Xposed (unrestricted Multiview), debloat (seems very necessary for Samsung devices) and back up (Helium and Titanium Backup).

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006

parcou

Jun 7, 2008
TN
Let's play nice...

I would say yes to buying. On the neg for me I root and custom rom all Android devices I own and got mine this weekend not having read this forum. It came with 4.4.2 so I can only root but cannot do a custom recovery for a custom rom as some here have had theirs longer than I.

Don't know if any love will come for the 442 but if root is not your concern it is a sweet device. I know without a custom rom I am missing another level that they offer.

Last edited:

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
Let's play nice...

I would say yes to buying. On the neg for me I root and custom rom all Android devices I own and got mine this weekend not having read this forum. It came with 4.4.2 so I can only root but cannot do a custom recovery for a custom rom as some here have had theirs longer than I.

Don't know if any love will come for the 442 but if root is not your concern it is a sweet device. I know without a custom rom I am missing another level that they offer.

I am playing nice - I gave OP info about root just in case he wants to do so.

However, I was "accused" of spreading mis-information by @kcrudup and @GalaxyNotesTx. If I gave wrong info, correct me by providing the link to rooting Wifi version without tripping KNOX, and I'll fix my post.

FYI: I just got this tablet yesterday and have been searching XDA and Googling other forums and sites - no root without tripping KNOX for wifi version. So I don't want OP to be as disappointed as me IF he/she wants root.

MohamedYousri

Apr 6, 2006
Cairo
After my Note 3 and Moto G was stolen ,, i bought LG G Pro Lite Dual and thinking on getting a tablet for Games Movies and all kind of entertainment ,,, for a week now i was reading and watching all reviews and i can't choose between the Note 10.1 2014 Edition and Tab S 10.5

The Note 10.1 2014 is already available for a good price the 3G version will cost me around 550USD while the Tab S isn't here yet and don't know it's price but for sure it will be more expensive

so do you advice getting the Note 10.1 2014 or shall i wait for the Tab S ??!!

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
After my Note 3 and Moto G was stolen ,, i bought LG G Pro Lite Dual and thinking on getting a tablet for Games Movies and all kind of entertainment ,,, for a week now i was reading and watching all reviews and i can't choose between the Note 10.1 2014 Edition and Tab S 10.5

The Note 10.1 2014 is already available for a good price the 3G version will cost me around 550USD while the Tab S isn't here yet and don't know it's price but for sure it will be more expensive

so do you advice getting the Note 10.1 2014 or shall i wait for the Tab S ??!!
I think it depends on whether you need the S-pen or not. I've looked at the Tab S, but I need the pen.

Plus, the Note is only $459 at Amazon, so it's cheaper.

MohamedYousri

Apr 6, 2006
Cairo
I think it depends on whether you need the S-pen or not. I've looked at the Tab S, but I need the pen.

Plus, the Note is only $459 at Amazon, so it's cheaper.

Can't get it throw Amazon here in Egypt so i have to get it from any local store ,, i used Note 2 and Note 3 but i can't say that i use the SPen that much ,, it's a great addition indeed but holding 2 phones in my hand before prevented me from using the SPen

the main issue that the Tab S will be out of my budget fore sure but if it worth it then i will try to get one whenever it's here also they almost identical in specifications except for the screen Super LCD Vs. Super AMOLED

I guess for sure that Samsung will update all this devices for Android L so i don't have to worry about it

I would prefer to get the Snapdragon version but it's a quit rare in common and hard to get so i have to stick to the Exynos although i prefer the Snapdragon

So what do you think ?!

Note10.1Dude

Dec 17, 2013
California
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 3
Hi.

I currently own a Galaxy Note 10.1 (2012) and unfortunately I woke it up during lunch and was surprised to find that the screen now hates black and now it displays things incorrectly. It's still usable but ugly to look at. So I've read some reviews and it seems that the battery life is much worse and it's laggy even with 8 cores. So after more than 6 months, is this cellphone/tablet worth it now? I prefer the 10 inch notes for random sketching though but I normally do my art with a real Wacom tablet. I'm thinking of either suffering until the release of the next Galaxy Note 10.1 or possibly jump at Asus Transformer Book V or just jumping to the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014. I mainly just use my tablet for Internet and drawing on Sketchbook Pro.

Yes, or perhaps the 12" if that would work for you. I think the 2014 Note is still the best 10 " option available

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

Can't get it throw Amazon here in Egypt so i have to get it from any local store ,, i used Note 2 and Note 3 but i can't say that i use the SPen that much ,, it's a great addition indeed but holding 2 phones in my hand before prevented me from using the SPen

the main issue that the Tab S will be out of my budget fore sure but if it worth it then i will try to get one whenever it's here also they almost identical in specifications except for the screen Super LCD Vs. Super AMOLED

I guess for sure that Samsung will update all this devices for Android L so i don't have to worry about it

I would prefer to get the Snapdragon version but it's a quit rare in common and hard to get so i have to stick to the Exynos although i prefer the Snapdragon

So what do you think ?!

There is also the 10" Note Pro, Which is Cheaper than the s.

MohamedYousri

Apr 6, 2006
Cairo
Yes, or perhaps the 12" if that would work for you. I think the 2014 Note is still the best 10 " option available

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

There is also the 10" Note Pro, Which is Cheaper than the s.

Why do you recommend the Galaxy Tab Pro ? comparing to Note 10.1 2014 they are both identical but you got the SPen and more 1GB of RAM so i guess the Note 10.1 2014 is better than Galaxy Tab Pro and maybe cheaper also

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts