[ROOT] [KERNEL] [RECOVERY] - Root / Voodoo Lagfix / CWM Recovery

Search This thread

jt1134

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 8, 2010
Hi all

Whipped this up for a friend. Thought we'd be nice and share ;)

These packages will work on any current sw version for the Charge.

Please find below kernel and recovery packages hacked for the following:

permanent adb root
installs Superuser and su binary automatically on boot
includes Voodoo ext4 lagfix - CREDIT TO SUPERCURIO! :D http://project-voodoo.org/lagfix
lowmemorykiller tweaks
sdcard readahead cache speed tweak

If you are using Odin to flash, simply flash the below package. If you are using Heimdall, remove the zImage file from the below package and flash it.

After flashing the first time, you will hear a voice from the phone telling you what is occurring. The conversion to ext4 will take a few minutes. BE PATIENT. Once it boots, Superuser should be installed, and your phone's filesystem will be converted from rfs to ext4. To disable Voodoo lagfix and convert back to rfs, simply create a file on your sdcard inside the Voodoo folder, named "disable-lagfix". Then reboot your phone and listen for the voices again. This will also take a few minutes.

Please familiarize yourself with using Odin or Heimdall and have backup images on-hand if you are going to use this kernel. If you screw up, you will need them ;)

I DO NOT have a Charge, these files have been tested by other users. As always I assume absolutely NO liability for anything that happens if you use this kernel. Phone blows up? It's on you to fix it :p

If you find this software helpful please click the "Thanks" or the "Donate" button. Either is fine by me. If you would like to investigate the changes that were made, please feel free to find them here, and here.

Enjoy.

EDIT
Uploaded 2nd version

EDIT
Uploaded 3rd version
changed the install scripts around
should copy files more efficiently
fix file ownership and permissions
UNTESTED!

EDIT
Uploaded 4th version
Confirmed root from independent user!
rewrote install process to preserve file path and permissions
will look into the bootanimation graphics issue
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14764513/VoodooChargeKernel4.tar.md5

EDIT
Uploaded additional recovery file
Flashes custom version of ClockworkMod recovery 3.x
Recovery includes Voodoo specific options for enabling/disabling Voodoo lagfix
Flash with Odin or Heimdall just like the kernel files
HAS BEEN LIGHTLY TESTED! USE CAUTION AND HAVE A BACKUP!

if you do not have root:
* check adb shell and see if you get a '#' prompt. If so, you *have* root on adb, and you may install whatever you want in /system
* check to see if Superuser app is installed
* check to see if /system/xbin/su exists on your phone.
If you have problems, please post the results of those checks. Thanks.

Attachments

• VoodooChargeCWM-2.tar
    6.3 MB · Views: 10,878
Last edited:

s44

Sep 25, 2010
Ok, somebody use this to system dump ED2.

And, uh, is there matching Voodoo clockwork?

Reactions: jt1134

NotATreoFan

Moderator Emeritus
The kernel flash was successful, and the filesystem conversion took about 8 minutes to run. However, I was not rooted when the phone booted back up. Here is what I did, let me know if I missed a step:

1. Start on rooted ED1
  2. Accept ED2 OTA
  3. Lose Root
  4. Flash new kernel using ODIN
  5. After ~10 minutes, phone boots successfully, but I do not have root.

moondrius

Jun 4, 2010
Baltimore
using odin3 v1.3 and failed too..
phone wont boot, had to reflash ed1

Keep trying. I finally got it to flash with 1.30. Seems to be booting. On boot it did not change the file system, it just booted normally.

Edit:I just put in my spare battery and it is now converting the file system. The other battery was probably too low.

jt1134

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 8, 2010
Updated OP with a new version. Anyone who has flashed the original version, please check adb shell and see if you get a '#' prompt. If you do, then you're technically rooted :p

asenduk

Mar 30, 2008
Houston, TX
I was able to flash with it just named .tar, using ODIN 1.85. Did you retain your root access after the renamed flash?

Superuser was installed but root was lost... Trying the updated version... On a positive note Quadrant is great! 1400-1550 avg :D

EDIT: wifi fixed with v2 but still no root.. will try from scratch and report back

2nkqm1e.jpg

Last edited:

papi92

Nov 15, 2009
Everything has worked for me. Thank you.

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA Premium App

devanmc

May 23, 2011
Kalamazoo
yes im obviously a newb for asking this question but i have odin and have downloaded the kernal tar file. how am i supposed to flash it onto the phone now? Ive found how to put the phone into download mode i just dont know what im supposed to do with odin

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all

Whipped this up for a friend. Thought we'd be nice and share ;)

These packages will work on any current sw version for the Charge.

Please find below kernel and recovery packages hacked for the following:

permanent adb root
    installs Superuser and su binary automatically on boot
    includes Voodoo ext4 lagfix - CREDIT TO SUPERCURIO! :D http://project-voodoo.org/lagfix
    lowmemorykiller tweaks
    sdcard readahead cache speed tweak

If you are using Odin to flash, simply flash the below package. If you are using Heimdall, remove the zImage file from the below package and flash it.

After flashing the first time, you will hear a voice from the phone telling you what is occurring. The conversion to ext4 will take a few minutes. BE PATIENT. Once it boots, Superuser should be installed, and your phone's filesystem will be converted from rfs to ext4. To disable Voodoo lagfix and convert back to rfs, simply create a file on your sdcard inside the Voodoo folder, named "disable-lagfix". Then reboot your phone and listen for the voices again. This will also take a few minutes.

Please familiarize yourself with using Odin or Heimdall and have backup images on-hand if you are going to use this kernel. If you screw up, you will need them ;)

I DO NOT have a Charge, these files have been tested by other users. As always I assume absolutely NO liability for anything that happens if you use this kernel. Phone blows up? It's on you to fix it :p

If you find this software helpful please click the "Thanks" or the "Donate" button. Either is fine by me. If you would like to investigate the changes that were made, please feel free to find them here, and here.

Enjoy.

EDIT
    Uploaded 2nd version

EDIT
    Uploaded 3rd version
    changed the install scripts around
    should copy files more efficiently
    fix file ownership and permissions
    UNTESTED!

EDIT
    Uploaded 4th version
    Confirmed root from independent user!
    rewrote install process to preserve file path and permissions
    will look into the bootanimation graphics issue
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14764513/VoodooChargeKernel4.tar.md5

EDIT
    Uploaded additional recovery file
    Flashes custom version of ClockworkMod recovery 3.x
    Recovery includes Voodoo specific options for enabling/disabling Voodoo lagfix
    Flash with Odin or Heimdall just like the kernel files
    HAS BEEN LIGHTLY TESTED! USE CAUTION AND HAVE A BACKUP!

if you do not have root:
    * check adb shell and see if you get a '#' prompt. If so, you *have* root on adb, and you may install whatever you want in /system
    * check to see if Superuser app is installed
    * check to see if /system/xbin/su exists on your phone.
    If you have problems, please post the results of those checks. Thanks.
    Looking to gain root and maybe install a custom rom--I don't need a whole slew of features, I just need a snappy and reliable phone, but the bloatware drives me up a wall. I'm familiar with rooting from my D1, but it seems a little more complicated on the charge and I want to make sure I know exactly what I'm doing before I go and brick my phone.

this thread has pretty good instructions on how to flash and use Odin, plus you can get Odin and the drivers from there as well though I'd stay away from the roms/kernels as they're a bit dated now:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1181171

here is CWM:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1112804

Here is superuser in apk form that you can flash in CWM if you want to be rooted without a custom kernel/rom:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34782489/su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip

then you can check out the roms/kernels in development and read up, if you like them then go ahead and flash them
    Looking to gain root and maybe install a custom rom--I don't need a whole slew of features, I just need a snappy and reliable phone, but the bloatware drives me up a wall. I'm familiar with rooting from my D1, but it seems a little more complicated on the charge and I want to make sure I know exactly what I'm doing before I go and brick my phone.

Well, if you're just looking for a debloated stock rom i would flash the EP3HA debloat deodexed rom found here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1295892.
    That way you can take advantage of the new radios and still retain the feel of stock. =) If you do decide to flash that package: unzip it first, then flash through odin. You should follow up by flashing the CWM recovery that can be found on the same thread. If you're looking for a more general overview of rooting and the charge feel free to look at the first two threads in the "General" section. =)
    Updated OP with a new version.
    Ok, somebody use this to system dump ED2.

And, uh, is there matching Voodoo clockwork?